HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade proposals - what do we need?

View Poll Results: What kind of assets would you like to see the Oil acquire in a trade?
Just fill the void of the guy departing (eg: a d-man for Jason Smith if he just has to be traded) 3 5.00%
We want a high first rounder 17 28.33%
prospect/rookie lw 0 0%
prospect/rookie rw 0 0%
prospect/rookie center 7 11.67%
prospect/rookie goalie 8 13.33%
prospect/rookie d-man 0 0%
veteran lw 0 0%
veteran center 6 10.00%
veteran rw 3 5.00%
veteran goalie 4 6.67%
veteran d-man 5 8.33%
other 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Trade proposals - what do we need?

Without regards to what players we would be shipping away in trades, what are our needs right now? I can't think of a pressing need that we have to fill, especially if it's going to cost us a lot.

If I had to make any deals as the gm first of all I'd be replacing the person that left here unless it was a lw'er, secondly I might try to acquire a big scoring center like Lang from Was. We could help them land Ovechkin or Malkin and provide them with some form of pix/prospects that would come up through the system with them.

Anyways, so many people are making trade proposals there must be some perceived need here, what is it?

Old
01-14-2004, 11:10 AM
t0mf00lery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Without regards to what players we would be shipping away in trades, what are our needs right now? I can't think of a pressing need that we have to fill, especially if it's going to cost us a lot.

If I had to make any deals as the gm first of all I'd be replacing the person that left here unless it was a lw'er, secondly I might try to acquire a big scoring center like Lang from Was. We could help them land Ovechkin or Malkin and provide them with some form of pix/prospects that would come up through the system with them.

Anyways, so many people are making trade proposals there must be some perceived need here, what is it?
One need that jumps out at me is to move Jason Smith before the season ends. He is due for a big arbitration settlement this coming summer and his value will never be higher than it is right now.

Also, if we can find a taker that is willing to overpay for Tommy Salo, then we should also move him. It seems to make much more sense to me to move him during the season, then to let him walk in the summer for nothing.

On the other hand, if both of these guys are willing to accept "Oiler contracts" to stay here, then there is no sense in moving them. Salo would have to to a hefty paycut though and Gator would have to give up a few years of UFA eligibility at lower than "peceived market value."

Old
01-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Oiltalk

Getting that goal scorer. Weather it be a Center or LW. The Oilers could always move york to wing if need be.
Smyth-Oates-Isbister
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Chimera-Horcoff/Stoll-Hemsky/Laraque

Brewer-Staios
Smith-Ulanov
Cross-Semenov
Ferguson-Bergeron

It's hard to scratch any of the RW's for Laraque, and because of his price I'm pretty sure he'll be gone at the deadline for a pick. Perhaps Ottawa's first. If not he will be packaged with Smith for a scorer. Problem though would be that the defence is weakend and the abundance of fowards grow.

For me I would trade our best trading chip in Smyth along with Laraque for a goal scorer, and than trade Smith for picks.

I would hate to be a GM. I can understand why Lowe always looks like he's on drugs whenever looking at his face. Must lose a lot of sleep.

Old
01-14-2004, 11:25 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

a sniper who can bury the biscuit

Old
01-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Scorpion88

How about a goal scorer to help Oates. I suggest:

Smith, Horcoff, & and Philly 1st Round Pick to Washington for:
Lang and Washington's 1st Round Pick

Or Drop Philly's 1st Round Pick for Bondra instead of Lang.

Old
01-14-2004, 11:57 AM
windowlicker

I think we need a scoring center....
How about:

Smith, Larague and Philly's 1st to Philadephia for
Mike Comrie

His salary isnt that bad, and im sure he would fit in nicely with Smyth.

Old
01-14-2004, 12:06 PM
The Rage

Scoring centre or offensive defenseman. Preferably young ones who'll be here for a while (no sense loading up for a playoff run that will never happen).

Old
01-14-2004, 12:31 PM
Hemsky01

I don't really see any move out there that will help the oilers significantly. I would really like to see them keep the team they have for a season or 2. This all changes if money is a factor, which I really can't see it being because they only have 1/2 a season to go until the new CBA. The only player the Oilers should really go after (if he is available) is the Vincent L. from Tampa.(and not for Brewer) If the Bolts would accept a package of Laraque, Smith, and Rita(or First round pick), I'm all for it but I know this is impossible so I hope they just let the team grow together.

Old
01-14-2004, 12:58 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
i voted for a goalie prospect as the cupboard seems pretty bare especially if the oilers do not pick up salos option for next year.
secondly we desperately need a sniper.

Old
01-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Obsessed

I would love too see the Oil get an impact center but the chances are slim. Therefore a high ranked propspect would be cool.

Old
01-14-2004, 03:54 PM
sluggo*

Since a lot of Oiler fans want to see the Oilers pick up a young/rookie goalie in some kind of deal (I've seen talk in here about Smyth and Smith being moved, and its no seceret that I'd like to see the Leafs pick up both) how much interest would anyone/everyone have in Tellqvist (keep in mind I'm not saying Tellqvist would be the ONLY player/pick the Leafs would have to give up).

Old
01-14-2004, 04:26 PM
Mizral

Maybe a pick or a prospect for Tellqvist? Maybe Isbister for him? Who knows.

Anyways, I voted veteran goaltender. The Oilers will need one between now and next October, and nobody can deny that. Conklin is an AHL keeper.

Dump Salo, pick up Jani Hurme for a draft pick or something, or maybe pick up Johan Hedberg as a free agent for $1.5 million. I dunno, but you've got to get a goaltender. I don't think Lowe should be scared of going nuts here. Picking up a big-time goaltender would be a hell of an idea, in fact, if he could find a way to make it work financially.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:40 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Conklin is an AHL keeper
Conklins Stats

Old
01-14-2004, 06:54 PM
Bohologo

If I'm Lowe, I clean house at the trade deadline:
-Smith (about to get too expensive for E-town, would be good for a contender)
-Laraque (too much of a sweetheart to scare anyone, not worth much)
-Oates (was a hired gun anyway, maybe a sixth rounder)
Salo (the option won't be picked up, and a contender would like him as a backup, maybe for a 4th rounder)
-and yep, this is going to hurt some feelings: Smytty, because he deserves a Cup, the Oil have lots of depth on LW, and there would be decent return.

We can argue all we want about who is worth what return and why some guy should stay, but the team needs a youngish keeper (Prusek, Hurme, Emery, Biron, Noronen), a sniper (doncha wish we had Havlat?), a PP QB (anyone? anyone? Bueller?), and someone to play center next season whose name doesn't rhyme with Fawn Dorkoff. The guys above are what, about $11 million off the payroll? I think Lowe has plenty of cards to play, and if not at the deadline, then at the draft.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Calnes

I voted for a vet rw, but what I wanted was a semi-established rw that could spark smyth, because that seems to be what he needs to play great. oates would also prosper from some kid that'll burn up the wing and put the puck in the net.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:21 PM
sluggo*

As I said before Smith and Smyth are both the type of players the Leafs need, how would Oiler fans feel about something along these lines.

Steen, Tellqvist, White/Bell, first round pick in 2004, maybe a later round pick as well in enchange for Jason Smith and Ryan Smyth.

That would give the Oilers a 20 year old center with top line potential who will be NHL ready next season. A 23 year old future #1 (though granted, probably not an elite) goalie. Both White and Bell are offensive D-men who can run a PP, Bell is closer to being NHL ready and is better defensivly, though White has greater offensive ability (take your pick). And of course the picks.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Oylerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by USC Trojans
a sniper who can bury the biscuit
I said "other" with this in mind.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:27 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo
As I said before Smith and Smyth are both the type of players the Leafs need, how would Oiler fans feel about something along these lines.

Steen, Tellqvist, White/Bell, first round pick in 2004, maybe a later round pick as well in enchange for Jason Smith and Ryan Smyth.

That would give the Oilers a 20 year old center with top line potential who will be NHL ready next season. A 23 year old future #1 (though granted, probably not an elite) goalie. Both White and Bell are offensive D-men who can run a PP, Bell is closer to being NHL ready and is better defensivly, though White has greater offensive ability (take your pick). And of course the picks.
The leafs cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to goaltending... Both Belfour and Kidd are getting up there.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:29 PM
sluggo*

Quote:
The leafs cupboard is pretty bare when it comes to goaltending... Both Belfour and Kidd are getting up there.
And....?

Old
01-14-2004, 07:50 PM
camboy

I voted for a veteran center. 2nd choice would be a veteran winger. This team needs a goal scorer....IMO above all other needs.

Lecavalier for Smith, Laraque, Oates and Edm 1st

or

Satan for Smith

Old
01-14-2004, 08:28 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo

I'd be on that like Oprah on a twinkie if the Oil dropped any further out of the playoff race. Maybe even right now.

Last edited by Oi'll say!: 01-14-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Old
01-14-2004, 08:41 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Time for a re-hash:

Acquire a sniper OR big-time center.

Acquire a young defenceman and replace Smith.

Acquire a young goaltender.

Old
01-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Time for a re-hash:

Acquire a sniper OR big-time center.

Acquire a young defenceman and replace Smith.

Acquire a young goaltender.
LMHF, Sluggo's offer from the Leafs seem to address all your desires.

Smith and Smyth for Tellqvist (goalie prospect), Alex Steen (center) and Bell/White (defender prospect.) The main problem I have with the offer is that all three are all so uncertain. Tellqvist might be the closest but the risk lies ENTIRELY with the Oilers. If Steen, Bell/White doesn't pan out then the Oilers really lose the trade badly. If these guys had at least some NHL experience, then the risk would be minimalized a bit. For example, a young Jason Williams and Hudler from Detroit has some NHL xp. Or Seidenberg in Philly.

Old
01-15-2004, 10:55 AM
The Rage

How about Havlat for Smyth? Ottawa would love a guy like Smyth, a gritty #1 left winger. Havlat is a tremedndous skill player, and I believe he can play centre as well as right wing. Check out these future top two lines:
Torres-York-Dvorak
Isbister/Rita/Mikhinov-Havlat-Hemskey
As long as one of Isbister, Rita or Mikhinov pan out, those are two very, very good lines.

Old
01-15-2004, 11:38 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
LMHF, Sluggo's offer from the Leafs seem to address all your desires.

Smith and Smyth for Tellqvist (goalie prospect), Alex Steen (center) and Bell/White (defender prospect.) The main problem I have with the offer is that all three are all so uncertain. Tellqvist might be the closest but the risk lies ENTIRELY with the Oilers. If Steen, Bell/White doesn't pan out then the Oilers really lose the trade badly. If these guys had at least some NHL experience, then the risk would be minimalized a bit. For example, a young Jason Williams and Hudler from Detroit has some NHL xp. Or Seidenberg in Philly.
I'm not dealing for prospects though, and we get ripped apart on that deal, WAY too much risk without near enough reward possibility.

Closed Thread