HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade proposals - what do we need?

View Poll Results: What kind of assets would you like to see the Oil acquire in a trade?
Just fill the void of the guy departing (eg: a d-man for Jason Smith if he just has to be traded) 3 5.00%
We want a high first rounder 17 28.33%
prospect/rookie lw 0 0%
prospect/rookie rw 0 0%
prospect/rookie center 7 11.67%
prospect/rookie goalie 8 13.33%
prospect/rookie d-man 0 0%
veteran lw 0 0%
veteran center 6 10.00%
veteran rw 3 5.00%
veteran goalie 4 6.67%
veteran d-man 5 8.33%
other 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2004, 10:46 AM
USC Trojans
AD

vCash: 500
I wonder if we can still get Trent Hunter from the Islanders. He's a young goalscoring winger with a physical edge...
I think we missed out on him last year during the Niinimaa trade. I'd much rather get Torres and Hunter instead of Isbister. But then I don't know how his value was last year but it certainly skyrocketed this year. Imagine a Torres - Oates - Hunter line.

Old
01-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I'm not dealing for prospects though, and we get ripped apart on that deal, WAY too much risk without near enough reward possibility.
I'm shocked! we've been doing a lot of agreeing lately LMHF!

Ok. how about this? How about Colaiacovo (defensive prospect) + Tellqvist (goalie prospect) + Antropov (possible injury-proned 1st line centre) For Smith, Smyth and 2004 1st round pick (the philly one)?

Is this too one-sided? Is this fair? I think the risk is much less since Antropov is currently playing in the NHL, Colaiacovo almost made the Leafs and Tellqvist has shown to be very good in International competition and a couple of games when he was called up by the Leafs in the NHL.

Old
01-15-2004, 01:04 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
I'm shocked! we've been doing a lot of agreeing lately LMHF!

Ok. how about this? How about Colaiacovo (defensive prospect) + Tellqvist (goalie prospect) + Antropov (possible injury-proned 1st line centre) For Smith, Smyth and 2004 1st round pick (the philly one)?

Is this too one-sided? Is this fair? I think the risk is much less since Antropov is currently playing in the NHL, Colaiacovo almost made the Leafs and Tellqvist has shown to be very good in International competition and a couple of games when he was called up by the Leafs in the NHL.
I still really don't like it. As much as Carlo will be a pretty good NHL d-man, he's not gonna be great. Nik I don't think will ever come around, and Telly is good, but not what I want in a goalie. I also can't see that kind of package going anywhere if we're not getting a top-flight player back for NOW. Send that sorta package to T-bay, or maybe to the Island or Ottawa, then maybe we'd get a decent return that would help immediately. I'd rather just deal Smith, Horcoff, Isbister, Laraque, Ferguson and Salo though. Separate deals of course.

Old
01-15-2004, 01:21 PM
TheFranchise83

I see the oil as in a rebuilding mode and frankly I don't think they need anything right now that they could realisticlly get. I can't see Lowe getting a bonafide sniper as bad as we need one because their price is very steep to acquire them or to keep them. Our defence I think is fine for now and the future with Woywitka, Brewer, Semenov etc. for the future and Staios, Smith, Brewer, Ulanov for now.

Forwards, the only thing we're missing is a sniper but as I mentioned before I don't think we would get one without lowe deminishing the prospect bank which I would rather not do. Think what would happen if we got a Bondra, or a Satan and they didn't pan out for us to make the playoffs..... with the cba expiring that could be a very bad trade if there is a really long layoff which just might happen.

So in a long winded way I am saying that I didn't vote, I am content with the roster at the moment. We have enough to compete for a playoff spot right now and we have a very bright future ahead of us. A situation many teams don't have

Old
01-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
I still really don't like it. As much as Carlo will be a pretty good NHL d-man, he's not gonna be great. Nik I don't think will ever come around, and Telly is good, but not what I want in a goalie. I also can't see that kind of package going anywhere if we're not getting a top-flight player back for NOW. Send that sorta package to T-bay, or maybe to the Island or Ottawa, then maybe we'd get a decent return that would help immediately. I'd rather just deal Smith, Horcoff, Isbister, Laraque, Ferguson and Salo though. Separate deals of course.
Yah I understand. Smith however, while an attractive defenseman to pick up for a lot of playoff teams is still going to a free agent at the end of next year. Smyth is not a top superstar (ala Sakic etc.) but is still very very good playoff warrior. The Toronto package of NHL experienced prospects might be the best offer.

And lastly, in response to dafo_1, I agree with LMHF in our current needs.

1) We need a goalie who could act as in between JDD And Conklin/Salo. Perhaps Salo will resign for much much less? Or a younger option like Biron/Tellqvist might be nice. JDD is our current goalie prospect but he is still years away.

2) Our defensive prospects have improved nicely with the addition of Woywitka. With Lynch, Brewer, Semenov, Woywitka, Greene, its starting to look like a very very good D core. What we're missing however is a puck-carrying/moving offensive defender. Bergeron isn't bad, but I'm not convinced he's the answer yet. We have the monsters, now we need some panache and slickness...

3) We have ample wingers. And they're young. We need a top two centre who can play NOW. York is one. Oates is too old. Pouliot and Niiniimaki are too young. Perhaps Reasoner? Perhaps Stoll? We're still lacking in another top two centre, which is why I suggested Antropov. Size. Skill. And Injury prone but young.

Old
01-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
i voted for a goalie prospect as the cupboard seems pretty bare especially if the oilers do not pick up salos option for next year.
secondly we desperately need a sniper.
I agree completely.

If I'm drafting this year, and Marek Schwarz is available when we pick, I'm all over him like R.Kelly at a Girl Scout convention. That guy's going to be something special...

Lauri Tukonen would fullfill the need for a sniper (from what I hear), but he'd be a few years away I would think.

Old
01-15-2004, 01:41 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69

3) We have ample wingers. And they're young. We need a top two centre who can play NOW. York is one. Oates is too old. Pouliot and Niiniimaki are too young. Perhaps Reasoner? Perhaps Stoll? We're still lacking in another top two centre, which is why I suggested Antropov. Size. Skill. And Injury prone but young.
Can Havlat play centre? I really like a Smyth for Havlat deal, as I said previously.

Closed Thread