HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible trades??

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2004, 09:44 AM
FerrisRox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
So your happy with having average or mediocre players? The guys I suggested would be 3rd liners, so only older players would be benched or traded with a pick. You can't tell me with a straight face you'd rather have Juneau, Perreault, Dackell or Sundstrom instead of players like Walz, Wright, Laperriere, Armstrong, Marshall or Dimaio.
First of all, newsflash, Wes Walz, Tyler Wright, Derek Armstrong, etc ARE mediocre players. No question about it.

I can definitely say, with a straight face, I'd rather have Juneau, Perreault or Sundstrom over Tyler Wright or Derek Amstrong. It's a no-brainer, really.

Walz is faster then Juneau, no doubt. Both are strictly penalty killers. It's apples for oranges. What's the point? I'd no question prefer Nicklas Sundstrom on the 3rd line over Derek Armstrong (who is 5th line) or Tyler Wright.

On that list, I think Ian Laperierre could improve Montreal. The rest are either worse then what is already here, or changing a defensive penalty killer for a defensive penalty killer - lateral move.

Old
01-15-2004, 09:59 AM
RichardZednik#20

do you guys think Langdon will play in the playoff?? There is no fight and teams normally don't play their goons. I think we could get a 4th line player like Wright or Lapperriere for langdon place.(not langdon for them but for the roster spot.)

Old
01-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
First of all, newsflash, Wes Walz, Tyler Wright, Derek Armstrong, etc ARE mediocre players. No question about it.

I can definitely say, with a straight face, I'd rather have Juneau, Perreault or Sundstrom over Tyler Wright or Derek Amstrong. It's a no-brainer, really.

Walz is faster then Juneau, no doubt. Both are strictly penalty killers. It's apples for oranges. What's the point? I'd no question prefer Nicklas Sundstrom on the 3rd line over Derek Armstrong (who is 5th line) or Tyler Wright.

On that list, I think Ian Laperierre could improve Montreal. The rest are either worse then what is already here, or changing a defensive penalty killer for a defensive penalty killer - lateral move.

Its not a lateral move because you get grit, which is what you need for the playoffs. They can do the job just as well but add that toughness to their games that we lack.

Old
01-15-2004, 10:27 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardZednik#20
do you guys think Langdon will play in the playoff?? There is no fight and teams normally don't play their goons. I think we could get a 4th line player like Wright or Lapperriere for langdon place.(not langdon for them but for the roster spot.)
What would you give away for either? UFA for UFA wouldn't work ("We'll give you our bad UFA for your good UFA" it just doesn't make sense). Basically it all comes down to picks ,prospects, or younger players. I'd rather replace Langdon by Kilger on the fourth. Kilger Begin Ward is a good enough option. Plus that way we keep our Picks and Prospects.

When you rebuild a team through the draft, sacrifices need to be made; you never ever trade picks and prospects for rent-a-players

There might be exceptions made for the right deal, but not just for UFAs.

Old
01-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star
What would you give away for either? UFA for UFA wouldn't work ("We'll give you our bad UFA for your good UFA" it just doesn't make sense). Basically it all comes down to picks ,prospects, or younger players. I'd rather replace Langdon by Kilger on the fourth. Kilger Begin Ward is a good enough option. Plus that way we keep our Picks and Prospects.

When you rebuild a team through the draft, sacrifices need to be made; you never ever trade picks and prospects for rent-a-players

Well you don't see many rebuilding teams with the number of vets we have or the playoff position we're in. Florida and Pittsburgh are teams rebuilding, they have very little chance of making the playoffs. 3rd rounders to 9th rounders rarely become NHLers and if you look closely at our prospect depth, we have too many players and they bring almost the same thing to the rink. I see no problems in trading later round picks if it can help our team in the near future.

Old
01-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Star

Well you don't see many rebuilding teams with the number of vets we have or the playoff position we're in. Florida and Pittsburgh are teams rebuilding, they have very little chance of making the playoffs. 3rd rounders to 9th rounders rarely become NHLers and if you look closely at our prospect depth, we have too many players and they bring almost the same thing to the rink. I see no problems in trading later round picks if it can help our team in the near future.

Old
01-15-2004, 02:22 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Unlike Pittsburg and Florida we have plenty of money to play with. This helped minimize the impact of the rebuilding process. Many people were complaining that Savard went out and got too many low quality vets. We ended up with a mid-level team instead of a bottom feeder, but the strategy has always been to build through the draft. Gainey has had to buy out a few of those vets to make space for the kids. He'll probably need to buy-out or trade a few more (for picks or prospects) as the team progresses. You can never have too many prospects. It will be by trading prospects that we'll be able to end up with the exact guys we need to fill the holes and balance out the team once we are ready to compete seriously for the Holy Grail. We're just not ready this year.

The way I see things develop now, we'll start competing seriously around 2006-2007. By then we'll have a very good quality team if we keep drafting well and developing well.

2008-2009 could be the year the cup comes home.

Of course I'm not saying that we can't fluke our way into getting it earlier, but I choose not to put my faith in a hot goalie completely.

Old
01-15-2004, 03:00 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
3rd rounders to 9th rounders rarely become NHLers and if you look closely at our prospect depth, we have too many players and they bring almost the same thing to the rink
I have to agree with you. If we could trade, say, Hossa, a 3rd, and a 4th to a non-playoff team looking to cut salary and change direction, we could snag a second-line player. Deals like this happen every year.

Old
01-16-2004, 03:06 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
I have to agree with you. If we could trade, say, Hossa, a 3rd, and a 4th to a non-playoff team looking to cut salary and change direction, we could snag a second-line player. Deals like this happen every year.
Why would you do that? Hossa will be a very good player one day. He's just having a rough season. He has the skills; he just needs to put it all together. 3rd and 4th round picks are what you trade to move up in the draft, not to aquire UFAs for a non-contending team.

Old
01-16-2004, 08:53 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Its not a lateral move because you get grit, which is what you need for the playoffs. They can do the job just as well but add that toughness to their games that we lack.
There is zero toughness in Wes Walz's game.

Closed Thread