HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Unathletic Goalies

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-02-2007, 01:31 PM
  #1
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YTH
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,369
vCash: 50
Awards:
Unathletic Goalies

There's always been this historic view that the least athletic people on the team (eg. poor skater, unusually small/large) usually end up becoming the goalie. Of course, at the NHL level nowadays this is blatantly untrue, in fact they're often the best athletes on the team.

Having said that, there have been plenty of goalies who, well certainly "good" enough to play at the pro level, wouldn't exactly rival Baryshnikov in terms of looking graceful.

I'm going to start this thread off with my favorite example: Tim Cheveldae. Had his moments of glory with the Wings and Jets, but man, he reminded me of a pot-bellied sponge hockey goalie the way he moved around in there.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 06:44 PM
  #2
reckoning
Registered User
 
reckoning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,912
vCash: 500
Turk Broda, Gump Worsely, Johnny Bower, Gerry Cheevers and Mike Palmateer were all pudgy and overweight. They were also excellent goalies. While younger fans love to talk about how today's athletes are "so superior" to players from the past because of better training and conditioning, they fail to understand that the physical part of hockey is not as important as the mental part. I mean, there's goalies today who are in better shape than Martin Brodeur who will never accomplish what he has.

In one of Bill James articles, he named about a dozen baseball players who were short, squat and pudgy (i.e. Kirby Puckett) who were superstars, but he couldn't think of anyone like that who was just an average player; which leads one to assume that that type of physique may actually be ideal for baseball hitters, but players with it aren't given a chance to make the major leagues due to shape unless they're really good. Could it be the same for goalies?

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 08:15 PM
  #3
mrhockey193195
Registered User
 
mrhockey193195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 4,643
vCash: 500
In terms of the last several years, I think Roman Cechmanek takes the gold.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 08:29 PM
  #4
Blikian29
Registered User
 
Blikian29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 1,933
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Blikian29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
In terms of the last several years, I think Roman Cechmanek takes the gold.
By a landslide. He had no lateral movement whatsoever.

Blikian29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 08:32 PM
  #5
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,218
vCash: 500
Don't know if it counts, but Nabokov's new chest protector makes him look pregnant.

I can't attest to his athleticism, but Vladimir Dzurilla always looked a little chunky whenever I've seen him in pictures.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2007, 10:10 PM
  #6
Mike Farkas
Grace Personified
 
Mike Farkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
I don't know what the standards are in this thread, but Jean Sebastien Giguere doesn't strike me as too athletic...in terms of his shuffle ability and his recovery for rebounds just kind of says, "ugh, I give up..."

__________________
http://twitter.com/MichaelFarkasHF

YouTube Channel: The Two-Line Pass - Hockey news, knowledge, video breakdowns and more: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKAI...52Q577Q/videos

Latest installment:Ep. 4 - Brady Skjei Evaluation
Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 03:08 PM
  #7
Licou
Registered User
 
Licou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Longuh
Country:
Posts: 1,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey287 View Post
I don't know what the standards are in this thread, but Jean Sebastien Giguere doesn't strike me as too athletic...in terms of his shuffle ability and his recovery for rebounds just kind of says, "ugh, I give up..."

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 04:15 PM
  #8
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hôlle
Posts: 30,975
vCash: 500
Andrei Medvedev?
Quite far from the former tennis player.

MXD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 07:47 PM
  #9
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Pretty much any of today's goalies can be unathletic if they choose because, with the large equipment, they don't even have to move to make a save.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 01:29 AM
  #10
Yoshimitsu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Pretty much any of today's goalies can be unathletic if they choose because, with the large equipment, they don't even have to move to make a save.
That's extremely laughable.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 01:40 AM
  #11
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,936
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Pretty much any of today's goalies can be unathletic if they choose because, with the large equipment, they don't even have to move to make a save.
I can tell you from personal experience that that's not true. You have some weird vendetta against modern goaltending, and to each his own...but it's obvious you've never played the position.

In my younger days I was a pretty decent butterfly goalie (played low-level rep). Then I blew out my knee and got fat. Now I'm back in the game, but still out of shape. And let me tell you, butterfly is MUCH harder to play than stand-up. You'd be surprised how hard it is to pop up and down, side to side so often. It's really taxing, and I often find myself getting lazy and just kicking at low shots (and like all your goaltending heroes of the 80's, I now get beat low to the corners where I never did before). Being a stand-up goalie is hella easier because you're just committing a limb to the shot, not your entire body.

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 02:57 AM
  #12
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
I can tell you from personal experience that that's not true. You have some weird vendetta against modern goaltending, and to each his own...but it's obvious you've never played the position.

In my younger days I was a pretty decent butterfly goalie (played low-level rep). Then I blew out my knee and got fat. Now I'm back in the game, but still out of shape. And let me tell you, butterfly is MUCH harder to play than stand-up. You'd be surprised how hard it is to pop up and down, side to side so often. It's really taxing, and I often find myself getting lazy and just kicking at low shots (and like all your goaltending heroes of the 80's, I now get beat low to the corners where I never did before). Being a stand-up goalie is hella easier because you're just committing a limb to the shot, not your entire body.
If modern goaltending is so much better than goaltending of the past, why do they need the crutch of such large equipment?

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 03:02 AM
  #13
Nalyd Psycho
Registered User
 
Nalyd Psycho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: No Bandwagon
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
If modern goaltending is so much better than goaltending of the past, why do they need the crutch of such large equipment?
Need? or want? They have an oppertunity to be better, so they take it. Past goalie equipment would have been WAY too heavy at that size so they had to keep it smaller to still move it it. Lightweight polymers come in, and the equipment explodes in size. Nothing to do with need.

__________________
Every post comes with the Nalyd Psycho Seal of Approval.
Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 10:11 AM
  #14
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,936
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Need? or want? They have an oppertunity to be better, so they take it. Past goalie equipment would have been WAY too heavy at that size so they had to keep it smaller to still move it it. Lightweight polymers come in, and the equipment explodes in size. Nothing to do with need.
Are you trying to tell us that professional athletes will use any advantage within the rules of the game to better their play? Why, that's the craziest thing I've ever heard...

arrbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 08:51 PM
  #15
barfy2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Whitby, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,784
vCash: 500
Didn't Khabibulin have the lazy, unathletic label for a while in Phoenix and finally got his work ethic problems solved when he went to Tampa?

barfy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 12:26 PM
  #16
Teus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lund
Country: Sweden
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Peter "Pekka" Lindmark was a chain smoker and hated to practise. Didn't stop him though from being the best goalie in the World Championship twice, becoming World Champion twice and Swedish Champion 4 times.

Teus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 12:30 PM
  #17
octopi
Registered User
 
octopi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 31,549
vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by barfy2000 View Post
Didn't Khabibulin have the lazy, unathletic label for a while in Phoenix and finally got his work ethic problems solved when he went to Tampa?
Apparently he smoked between periods drank a half pot of coffee every game. Well, you know what astronauts can do....right in their suits.



Oh, and theres always Andrei Medvedev....former Flames prospect, at least 70 pounds overweight at the time of drafting.


Last edited by octopi: 11-08-2007 at 12:41 PM.
octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 03:01 PM
  #18
LeftCoast
Registered User
 
LeftCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,980
vCash: 50
The modern goaltending style requires athleticism. The new, lighter, larger equipment has enabled goalies to be more athletic. It takes an amazing athlete to play butterfly style in heavy, sweat soaked leather pads. That's why for the first half of the 1990's the "Stand Up" style of goal tending was taught.

So unathletic goal tenders were many of the stand-up style goalies - Fuhr, Hextal, MacLean, Vernon, Vanbiesbruk, Richter, etc.

Since virtually all of the modern goalies play the butterfly style (except Hasek who has his own style) ergo, there are few if any modern unathletic goalies.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 05:38 PM
  #19
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YTH
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,369
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
The modern goaltending style requires athleticism. The new, lighter, larger equipment has enabled goalies to be more athletic. It takes an amazing athlete to play butterfly style in heavy, sweat soaked leather pads. That's why for the first half of the 1990's the "Stand Up" style of goal tending was taught.

So unathletic goal tenders were many of the stand-up style goalies - Fuhr, Hextal, MacLean, Vernon, Vanbiesbruk, Richter, etc.

Since virtually all of the modern goalies play the butterfly style (except Hasek who has his own style) ergo, there are few if any modern unathletic goalies.
I don't disagree entirely with the general thesis of your statement, but your going to have a hard time convincing me that the goaltenders you chose, particularly Vanbiesbrouck and Richter, were unathletic.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.