HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Getting New Set of Gear

Old
10-19-2007, 08:13 AM
slightlystoopid

vCash: 500
Getting New Set of Gear

So my parents are freaking out about a recent outbreak of the staph. infection and they want me to get a completely new set of gear, but hey, I'm not complaining . If there is anyway you guys could help me out with my choices, I'm trying to get decent gear for a decent price. The maximum I'm going for is like $300-$400, but it's okay to go over.
What I need is a helmet, elbow guards, shoulder pads, hip pads, and shin guards.
Thanks in advance!

slightlystoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 08:40 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystoopid View Post
So my parents are freaking out about a recent outbreak of the staph. infection and they want me to get a completely new set of gear, but hey, I'm not complaining . If there is anyway you guys could help me out with my choices, I'm trying to get decent gear for a decent price. The maximum I'm going for is like $300-$400, but it's okay to go over.
What I need is a helmet, elbow guards, shoulder pads, hip pads, and shin guards.
Thanks in advance!
You can find combo packages online that include elbow, shin and shoulder pads.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/protective.html

However, when it comes to protective. I want to try the stuff on. I'd buy from my local hockey shop even if it meant spending a few extra bucks.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Clown Fiesta
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

You can't go wrong with RBK for shin/shoulder/elbow... Reason I say that is it's Jofa stuff with RBK stamped on it and Jofa protective has always been amazing. Besides it's not too expensive, I got breezers for 90, elbow pads for 50 shin pads for 55, it's the 5k stuff too so it's pretty decent.

Clown Fiesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 05:30 PM
lotus

I'm getting new stuff as well and I hear amazing things about RBK.

Lightweight and just a perfect fit is what seems to highlight it, according to what I've heard.

This will be what I try next so I'm interested in hearing how you feel about them if you go this route.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Ducks

I use RBK 3k shins and shoulders. I like them both quite a bit. I think the shinguards are especially nice for the price.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 11:00 AM
sc37

vCash: 700
Try it on...no matter what we say it might suck for you. On RBK for example, lots of ppl complain about the bulk. Persoanlly for me, I like the protection on my RBK elbows but I dislike the fit. The straps bug me.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 11:53 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystoopid View Post
Thanks in advance!
Canadian or American?

You really need to try it on to determine the fit, but I'll list what I've got and why I like it.

Helmet - Mission Intake w/ Bauer 8500 cage. I've got a wider head and the Intake fits it very well. My buddy's got a narrower head and loves his RBK 6k. The Bauer 5500 and CCM Vector should be good alternatives. Cage/visor is PP but this one is matte finish and oval wires so less distracting.

Elbow Pads - There's two kinds, the ones with a lot of forearm protection and ones without. The high end RBK/JOFA stuff protects quite a bit of forearm, as do the Vectors. I use Stealth S9's because they allow better movement and stay on the arms without sliding. The S5's are similar, but the S9 has a better lining so it would help prevent bacteria.

Shoulder Pads - Depends on if you're a shot blocker or not. I'm not, and I like Sherwood 5030's because they provide some protection but are very lightweight, keep me cooler on the ice, and are cheap. Otherwise most of the manufacturers have bigger and more protective shoulders.

Pants - I like a slimmer pant so I've got Stealth S5's. S9's and One90's are even better but more expensive, and if I could go all out, I'd probably get some Tackla's. But the S5's have a good liner which helps with the bacteria.

Shins - I've got narrower shins and I'm a mobile/scoring forward, so I splurged and got some One90's. Fit like a glove and have quite a bit of protection for the entire front and a huge plastic calf protector. The One50 was very similar but wasn't in my size locally. Easton shins fit similar. If you're a defenseman or shot blocker, RBK and Bauer make really protective shins that are bigger. Missions are bigger as well.

I paid $90 + $40 for the helmet/cage, $60 for the elbows, $30 for the shoulders, $40 (used) for the pants, and $80 for the shins for a total of $350 USD roughly.

Oh yeah, and spend $15 on a clothes rack and hang your stuff up after you play. No sense in wasting $400 on gear that gets ruined quickly.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2007, 12:34 PM
Ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37 View Post
Try it on...no matter what we say it might suck for you. On RBK for example, lots of ppl complain about the bulk. Persoanlly for me, I like the protection on my RBK elbows but I dislike the fit. The straps bug me.
same with my mission elbow pads.

Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Marc Bergevins Suit
Realistic Hab Fan

Im wearing nike/bauer gear and love it.

well except for my skates. Its basically your preference but i think the best bargain is the rbk gear cuz i used to love my jofa shinnies, elb pads, and shoulders.

Marc Bergevins Suit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 09:18 PM
slightlystoopid

So I've decided on which gear I'm getting, what do you all think?
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descp...ml?pcode=HT6KC
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descp...ml?PCODE=700SS
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descp...ml?PCODE=ES9EP
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=NBHG
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=E5SG
AK27 Nipple Grip Shaft Senior 85 Flex
AK27 Blade Draper Sr Right

Old
11-03-2007, 11:23 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
The shoulder pads are overkill unless you are in a checking league, in my opinion. The helmet is fine, the elbows are a great decision. The girdle is nice(I assume you're playing roller) or I'd recommend the supreme pants. The shins are alright but they will be a little wide, if that's fine by you by all means get them. I'm all about streamline so if that's what you're looking for you'd want to seriously consider the supreme series. Did you take a look at the fury shin pads? they're new but I hear good things soo far.

My favorites(not necessarily what I have):
helmet: NBH 5500 with VN, soon to be NBH 9500 or Stealth(VN)
elbow guards: Easton S-9 or NBH one90 or Vector 10.0
shoulder pads: NBH Supreme Classic or Sherwood 5030
hip pads(pants): NBH one90(hands down)
shin guards: NBH one90(hands down)

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 08:35 AM
slightlystoopid

I actually play ice hockey, but I'm buying from inline warehouse because they're usually the cheapest I can find. Thank you for the input though . My total came to $550, my parents aren't going to like that