HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Boivan

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2004, 08:23 PM
suped

vCash: 500
Pierre Boivan

I hate this guy! and he is our president i think we should get a real hockey guy in there to become president to fully restore order back in this franchise we have the G.M. and a pretty good coach now lets get this idiot out so things can get done. Like Dryden maybe or Gainey himself maybe.

Old
01-13-2004, 08:28 PM
Wildbeliefs

(patiently waiting to hear the click of a lock...)

While we wait Suped, want to tell me why you "hate" that "idiot" Boivin so much?

Old
01-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by suped
I hate this guy! and he is our president i think we should get a real hockey guy in there to become president to fully restore order back in this franchise we have the G.M. and a pretty good coach now lets get this idiot out so things can get done. Like Dryden maybe or Gainey himself maybe.
Boivin has done an awesome job by replacing Savard with Gainey while still keeping Savard in the function he's most effective in.

Boivin has also given up a part of his job to Gainey who's now vice president.

Boivin does an awesome job from an administration point of view by all accounts. He's not much of a "hockey" guy (even though he is the Habs biggest fan) and that's why he has given a part of his job to Gainey.

Boivin will be resigned long term (if that's not already done).

Last edited by Habsolution: 01-13-2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old
01-13-2004, 10:45 PM
suped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
(patiently waiting to hear the click of a lock...)

While we wait Suped, want to tell me why you "hate" that "idiot" Boivin so much?

Boivan is a joke last year at the end of the season he was interviewed on Src sitting all smiles as the habs tanked it too me he is just a remnence of the past years which have been struggles and now the organization has turned it around his idoit like manner has been swept away serioulsy gainey should be president at least

Old
01-14-2004, 12:46 AM
Playr050

Send a message via AIM to Playr050
This must be Pierre Boivin, himself posting. Ever since Gainey's taken over, we haven't had to hear your name once. You'd even go as low as calling for your own head. This is Gainey's show, get off the stage!!!

Old
01-14-2004, 02:47 AM
BLONG7

Boivin is a marketing guy... not a real hockey guy, thus the hiring of Bob Gainey, Pierre doesn't seem to be meddling in the hockey operations so why would anyone have such strong feelings of hate? The Habs seem to be an organization moving in the right direction once again and Boivin has to receive a little credit along with BG and CJ of course.

Old
01-14-2004, 03:40 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
Boivin is a marketing guy... not a real hockey guy, thus the hiring of Bob Gainey, Pierre doesn't seem to be meddling in the hockey operations so why would anyone have such strong feelings of hate? The Habs seem to be an organization moving in the right direction once again and Boivin has to receive a little credit along with BG and CJ of course.
You are right. I think Boivin knows he is not a hockey guy, you never see him taking decision on the hockey level (except the time to back up Theo). You got to give him some credit, since he hire Savard and Gainey, two great hockey guy to take care of the hockey side of the Habs. A good president is the guy who hire the right people for the right reason, not the one who try to do all by himself.

Old
01-14-2004, 04:32 AM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
Oh boy!!! This is the absolute worst post I read for a while!!!

Absoluly no comment about it, you just completely ruined your reputation!
What reputation? He's made 7 posts..

Old
01-14-2004, 04:40 AM
All-Star

Quote:
President is a business position, not a hockey position.

His only duty when it comes to hockey is to hire a good GM. He's succeded at that twice. Everyone thought Savard was a genious up until last year; then Gainey was brought in...

The Bell centre is almost always full, and the Habs have sold tv rights to all 82 games for the past 2 seasons. Habs merchandise is also selling well.

You may not like him (his personality annoys me also), but he's doing an excellent job. He'll be here for a long time.

Old
01-14-2004, 05:16 AM
Habber

While we're talking about the business side of hockey, I'm going to go off on a side note, cause it's obvious to everyone besides this suped guy that Boivon doing a good job.

Remember a year or two ago when the "Canadian team crisis" was in full swing, and we all heard about how the low value of the Canadian dollar was killing the Canadian teams and that for every cent it lost against the US was an extra loss of a mil or two (I can't remember the exact numbers) Well now the Canadian dollar is doing awesome and has risen at least 20% since then, but where's the story about this? Shouldn't we have a ton of extra money to spend on payroll considering it has essentially "dropped" because of the exchange rate?

Old
01-14-2004, 05:20 AM
PrairieHabber

I'm guessing this poor fellow had a bad day and needed to rant about something. When the team's winning it's difficult to yell and scream about a player I guess. Maybe the next angry post will be about the parking attendants at the Bell Centre.

Regarding the silly topic, Boivin has been doing a pretty decent job of what he was hired to do. That is, provide or hire leadership in needed areas. In Gainey he hired the most credentialed man for the job since Pollock and only good things have happened since then (in terms of front office hirings)...and on the ice too.

Old
01-14-2004, 05:22 AM
PrairieHabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
While we're talking about the business side of hockey, I'm going to go off on a side note, cause it's obvious to everyone besides this suped guy that Boivon doing a good job.

Remember a year or two ago when the "Canadian team crisis" was in full swing, and we all heard about how the low value of the Canadian dollar was killing the Canadian teams and that for every cent it lost against the US was an extra loss of a mil or two (I can't remember the exact numbers) Well now the Canadian dollar is doing awesome and has risen at least 20% since then, but where's the story about this? Shouldn't we have a ton of extra money to spend on payroll considering it has essentially "dropped" because of the exchange rate?
That is a good point, however I would expect that the rise in the Loonie will go towards the bottom line more than anything. Since the team hasn't made the playoffs very often recently it has suffered financial losses. The rising dollar may loosen the purse strings a little, but my guess is it will just help the club break even or make a profit. Also, the buy-outs of Audette, McKay and Czerk cost the team quite a bit.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:10 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieHabber
That is a good point, however I would expect that the rise in the Loonie will go towards the bottom line more than anything. Since the team hasn't made the playoffs very often recently it has suffered financial losses. The rising dollar may loosen the purse strings a little, but my guess is it will just help the club break even or make a profit. Also, the buy-outs of Audette, McKay and Czerk cost the team quite a bit.
At that point, I remember one of the Canadian teams stating that it has an impact of almost $1M per penny that the Loonie gains or loses. That's a big impact, if it is true and not just some anecdotal marketing spiel from some team. Regardless, when your revenues are in Canuck bucks and the expenses are in US greenbacks, any positive movement in the Loonie bodes well for the bottom line.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:24 AM
Corey

Seems to me Habs fans aren't content unless they have targets to shoot at. Now it's the front office. I'd say better stick to ice level.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:48 AM
goalchenyuk

''I hate this guy! and he is our president i think we should get a real hockey guy in there to become president to fully restore order back in this franchise we have the G.M. and a pretty good coach now lets get this idiot out so things can get done. Like Dryden maybe or Gainey himself maybe.''

if you don't have anything else to to in your life than hating a guy who is there for the financial part of the team ....pathetic !

what do you want exactly ? another Corey who wanted to have the control on everything , he fired S.Savard to hired a muppet like Houle , to get the control !... is that what you want from Boivin or that he let Gainey do his job ?
<!-- / message -->

Old
01-14-2004, 06:58 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
Seems to me Habs fans aren't content unless they have targets to shoot at. Now it's the front office. I'd say better stick to ice level.
Don't put all Habs fans in the same basket. This guy is a nut case.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:04 AM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieHabber

I think it (the exchange rate dropping) may have made those buy-outs possible. I don't know how easy it would have been to eat all that salary if the exchange rate was still at 50 - 55%. They have essentially used the extra money to clean out the deadwood. (me thinks anyways!!!)

Old
01-14-2004, 08:21 AM
PrairieHabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie
I think it (the exchange rate dropping) may have made those buy-outs possible. I don't know how easy it would have been to eat all that salary if the exchange rate was still at 50 - 55%. They have essentially used the extra money to clean out the deadwood. (me thinks anyways!!!)
Very good point. The additional funds have undoubtedly allowed Gainey the opportunity to be a little more creative and have the club experience addition by subtraction.

Old
01-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Loup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber

Actually, this is not exactly how things work. The Montreal Canadiens, in the beginning of their financial year, makes a deal with a bank of some sort (ok, the details are confused, but the importance is not there) to purchase the value of the payroll in American money. They both set an estimated value for the Canadian $ VS the US $ at the start of that year, and they then have a fixed value for the rest of the year. Henceforth, they are not affected by the CAN dollar losses or gains VS the US$. Now, it's true that the CAN$ have more value now, but it won't reflect on the team's business up until they make a new deal of that kind. Or choose not to, if they are overly optimistic.

I know that they've been using that system for at least the last two years, and that they managed to save money when the dollar was down.

So, basically, we'll have to wait for next year until we see the difference in the Canadiens finances.

Old
01-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Gainey is also vice president of the team if i remember well.

Old
01-15-2004, 10:49 AM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup
Actually, this is not exactly how things work. The Montreal Canadiens, in the beginning of their financial year, makes a deal with a bank of some sort (ok, the details are confused, but the importance is not there) to purchase the value of the payroll in American money. They both set an estimated value for the Canadian $ VS the US $ at the start of that year, and they then have a fixed value for the rest of the year. Henceforth, they are not affected by the CAN dollar losses or gains VS the US$. Now, it's true that the CAN$ have more value now, but it won't reflect on the team's business up until they make a new deal of that kind. Or choose not to, if they are overly optimistic.

I know that they've been using that system for at least the last two years, and that they managed to save money when the dollar was down.

So, basically, we'll have to wait for next year until we see the difference in the Canadiens finances.
Wow, I've never heard about that! Really interesting insights, thx!

Old
01-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup

Cool insight, thanks for sharing that. BTW if you don't mind me asking, how do you know that?? and do all the Canadian teams do that or are there other ways that other teams use? Just curious.

Old
01-15-2004, 11:15 AM
Habsaku

The habs made their highest profit in history under Boivin last year during a season with a lot of struggles. The guy has been very good for this organization, the fact that he looks like that kid everyone threw stones at in high school shouldn't influence your decision, he's been a good business man. Gainey and Savard for example have been good moves.

Old
01-15-2004, 11:20 AM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Ninety-nine percent of the team is playing great. We're seven games over .500, and have more points than the New Jersey Devils. We have a pair of emerging young players on the roster. Our captain is playing the best hockey of his career. The goaltender is as good as any one dressing in the league. The number one guy on the blueline is a Norris Trophy candidate. There's not much going wrong. And yet, we're complaining about the man at the top.

Old
01-15-2004, 11:22 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
Ninety-nine percent of the team is playing great. We're seven games over .500, and have more points than the New Jersey Devils. And yet, we're complaining about the man at the top.

Someone's gotta get lynched!

Closed Thread