HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can't Carter get any respect?

Old
11-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Death of a Martian

vCash: 500
Can't Carter get any respect?

With all this talk about resigning Mike Richards, resigning Jeff Carter seems to be getting put aside.

The guy has 6 goals, 3 assists for 9 points in 12 games thus far and is a +6. Average that out over 82 games and he'll have 41 goals, 20-21 assists for 60-61 points and be a +41.

So how much are the Flyers willing to spend on this guy if the numbers that I've predicted come true?

I say 3 years at 9-10 million.

Death of a Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 05:15 PM
Ri hards

I think people see signing Richards as more of a priority than signing Carter. However, it's kinda like someone seeing water as more of a priority than food; you definately want/need both, but you need one more than the other.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 05:17 PM
MountainHawk

I think Carter is likely to get whatever Richards doesn't want. If Richards takes a long term deal, Carter probably gets 2 years, $6M. If Richards doesn't want to tie up long term, the Flyers then probably try to ink Carter to a 5 year $21M type deal (3,3,5,5,5). They can't give both of them 5+ year deals, tying up too much cap money too far down the road.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 05:19 PM
TehBBA

I think he does need to shore up other aspects of his game. The issue is that Richards is much more well rounded. He brings more to the table and is more conspicuous. If Carter isn't scoring goals, he isn't doing anything else, really. Richards sets up goals, defends, jump starts the team when things aren't going well, and leads by example. That's why he has a thread.

TehBBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

People aren't disrespecting him, he's just less deserving of the attention right now. He's popped in some ugly goals but I wouldn't say he's playing consistently at a high level yet.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 05:25 PM
Yoshimitsu

Carter has started off fairly well, no question, but the chances of him getting 41 goals are pretty low. 30 will be a struggle. I'm not trying to take anything away from what he's done thus far, but a lot of Carter's goals have been what you might call "lucky." There's something to be said about a player who puts themselves in position to get those kind of goals, but I haven't seen the kind of improvement out of Carter that I've seen from other forwards, and he's still very inconsistent. He's probably been our 5th or 6th best forward so far. Not bad, but lost in the mix somewhat.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 05:33 PM
phlocky

This is how I see it. I do actually see Carter as being the better offensive center over their careers. Oh yeah Richards is having a better start to this season, I know, but I don't think that will be the case for their entire careers. I still think Carter will struggle for at least part of this season. He'll have a decent season but not a break out one. Honestly, I don't think he'll have a good enough year to warrent dumping a lot of money in his lap over an extended contract life. I fully expect NEXT season to be Carters breakout season. You watch, next year the only forwards who will be better offensively will be Gagne and maybe Briere. Carter is going to be a monster next year. THAT will be his payoff year. Because I think he will have a decent but not a breakout year this season and the Flyers will likely NOT have the cap space to sign both Richards and Carter to long term contracts, I think they will give Carter a decent 1-year contract (probably having to take him to arbitration to protect our rights to him) and THEN sign him long term for a big contract for Carter after next season.

Richards' game isn't based mainly around his ability to put the puck in the net unlike Carter (not that Carter is a bad player in all other aspects but lets be honest, his real value is in his abilit to put the puck in the net). Richards appears to be much more mature on the ice than what you'd expect from most 3rd year players (and especially from one who has missed more than a half of a season from his for 2 years due to injuries). He has EARNED the right to most likely be considered our most valuable forward as attested to by him being 3rd on the team in average TOI (first among forwards) and his being counted on in ALL game situations. He IS a leader on the ice not only leading the younger players by example but also inspiring many of the vets to work harder too. The other things besides scoring that will make Richards a valuable NHL player are much closer to being near their full potential with Richards than Carter is with his that will make him a valuable NHL player. I think THIS is why there is so much more hype over Richards right now than Carter.

I give Carter his due, he's progressing well but right now not only is Richards about his equal offensively, Richards is leaps and bounds ahead of Carter in every other aspect of the game. Right now, Richards is the much better and much more valuable player. However, I'm saying it right now, watch out for Carter next year. Things are just going to "click" for him next year. It'll be like a light switch went on and the game just slowed down and got much easier to "see" for Carter. NEXT year we will all be "WOW'ed" by Carter and everyone will be saying "Now THIS is the Carter we have all been expecting for the past 3 years." Everyone will be jumping on the Carter bandwagon and slobbering all over themselves like they are for Richards this year. Trust me, Carter will be fine, he'll get the credit he is due next year. The kid will just take a little longer but be great too none-the-less.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 05:41 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of a Martian View Post
With all this talk about resigning Mike Richards, resigning Jeff Carter seems to be getting put aside.

The guy has 6 goals, 3 assists for 9 points in 12 games thus far and is a +6. Average that out over 82 games and he'll have 41 goals, 20-21 assists for 60-61 points and be a +41.

So how much are the Flyers willing to spend on this guy if the numbers that I've predicted come true?

I say 3 years at 9-10 million.
Well if Philly dont want him NYR will be more than glad to take him off of your hands for a fair price.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Death of a Martian

I wasn't serious about that whole respect thing, I know that Richards is more deserving of the attention at this time.

Old
11-03-2007, 05:51 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of a Martian View Post
I wasn't serious about that whole respect thing, I know that Richards is more deserving of the attention at this time.

Holy cow man, how do you have more than 500 posts in less than 2 months on here??? I think you need to take some time away from the computer and go outside and see that big orange thing in the sky (j/k )

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Death of a Martian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Holy cow man, how do you have more than 500 posts in less than 2 months on here??? I think you need to take some time away from the computer and go outside and see that big orange thing in the sky (j/k )
LOL, a person can pile up the posts in the GDT's.

Old
11-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I average around 440 posts a month...it's definitely do-able...and pathetic.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 05:56 PM
Death of a Martian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post

Old
11-03-2007, 06:05 PM
Lupul*

3 years @ $3.5 million

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Speaking of doable, nice avatar.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade View Post
I think people see signing Richards as more of a priority than signing Carter. However, it's kinda like someone seeing water as more of a priority than food; you definately want/need both, but you need one more than the other.
Couldn't have said it any better myself. Although, right now, I'd still rank Carter below food.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by socraticirony View Post
Couldn't have said it any better myself. Although, right now, I'd still rank Carter below food.
really? Looking back at it now, I really think I could have phrased that better. The grammar is pretty bad. I guess 12 cups of coffee before noon will do that to you.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 06:27 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
Well if Philly dont want him NYR will be more than glad to take him off of your hands for a fair price.
And this is why I hope he hangs around. Do NOT want to see him playing for a division rival.

Better him than Richards, though.

six sigma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 07:25 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:
I think Charlie_girl and I have been here around here for the same time, yet she has like 3x as many posts as me, but then again I really only post in GDT on a reguler basis

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 09:33 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I think Charlie_girl and I have been here around here for the same time, yet she has like 3x as many posts as me, but then again I really only post in GDT on a reguler basis
It's a mirage. Really. I have a life, honest I do!

I post on the OHL boards and this one, and used to post some in the lounge. Haven't spent any time in the lounge in ages though.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Flyersguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicto10 View Post
3 years @ $3.5 million
Too much IMO. I honestly see him a trade bait.

Flyersguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 01:09 AM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by socraticirony View Post

Ditto

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote