HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2008, 04:23 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
hes a top 3 pick man
guess we need to trade up then.

Old
05-07-2008, 04:35 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
You need to do a bit more research. Jared is not a first round talent.
neither was Henrik Lundquist, Pavel Datsuk, henrik Zetterberg

I always felt that the 18 y o draft was way too early. I liked it better when the draft was 20 y o.

With the family lineage and his size, I figure it might be a good deal to draft him.

Gotta be better than Hugh Jessiman.

Old
05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
rather have david toews.....
I heard he has a great Hockey mind but not that much of a natural athlete.

Old
05-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Lundqvist102

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post

I always felt that the 18 y o draft was way too early. I liked it better when the draft was 20 y o.

With the family lineage and his size, I figure it might be a good deal to draft him.

Agreed, but the properly drafting strategy is that if the player is still thought to be avaliable in rounds 3 or 4, then you don't think him round 1.

Old
05-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Zil

I'd like to just take the best player available. If they figure out who that is I'm sure we'll get somebody good. Forget all of this bloodline stuff. By that theory the brothers of Gretzky, Primeau, Thornton, Niedermayer, etc. all should have been allstars. Just be happy we have Marc Staal.

Old
05-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Jared Staal, why I wouldnt mind at all

He hasn't put up huge numbers yet or displayed alot of brilliance on the ice, but remember he was on a crappy Sudbury team and still he was the teams 2nd leading scorer. And he doesn't turn 18 until August. I think he's underrated in some circles these days. But make no mistake, he'll go higher than he wouldve cause some teams out there will chose on the name alone.

Old
05-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Cherepanisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I'd like to just take the best player available. If they figure out who that is I'm sure we'll get somebody good. Forget all of this bloodline stuff. By that theory the brothers of Gretzky, Primeau, Thornton, Niedermayer, etc. all should have been allstars. Just be happy we have Marc Staal.
dont forget messier

Old
05-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Nich

Quote:
I heard he has a great Hockey mind but not that much of a natural athlete.
well considering he is going to North Dakota next year and is only 17 now, that only makes the pick better imo

Old
05-07-2008, 07:29 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Jared Staal, why I wouldnt mind at all

He hasn't put up huge numbers yet or displayed alot of brilliance on the ice, but remember he was on a crappy Sudbury team and still he was the teams 2nd leading scorer. And he doesn't turn 18 until August. I think he's underrated in some circles these days. But make no mistake, he'll go higher than he wouldve cause some teams out there will chose on the name alone.
I have no problem taking him in the 2nd round with our pick.

Old
05-07-2008, 08:12 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=...ticleid=360880

Man I'd like to trade up to get one of these kids.

There are a lot of really good players in this first round that will probably be in the NHL next year.

Mikkel Boedker looks like he is going to be a real good one.

Old
05-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by poeman View Post
hes a top 3 pick man
to who?

IMO he's just as likely to go 2nd as he is to falling down to 10th.

Old
05-07-2008, 10:35 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
But make no mistake, he'll go higher than he wouldve cause some teams out there will chose on the name alone.
I do not think that he is a first rounder. You are right and he will go higher than he should due to his name. However, he is one player that a team cannot reach for in the first round.

Old
05-09-2008, 08:26 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
what do people think about kiril petrov in the first round?

Old
05-09-2008, 09:47 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I keep thinking about last years draft. I had ISS, Redline, and McKeens draft guides spread out all over my living room floor. Watching...and as soon as I believe it was Hickey that was drafted, I started getting excited that the Rangers would now have a great chance at drafting either Esposito, or Gillies...I didn't think that Cherepanov would ever still be available with the 17th pick. But...then it happened, and I was going crazy!

This year tough I started playing out scenerios in my head. Reading the mock draft etc. Now I am thinking about two players in general. First is Colton Tuebert. Personally I think this is what the club is missing most. Big defenseman...mean streak etc. But...with the 20th, he will probably be gone, but...if there are one or two surprises, maybe he could fall to the Rangers. Then...I started thinking about Beach again. Granted they team is really stacked already down the middle, but...if Beach falls to the mid to late 1st round, could the Rangers have a shot at getting him?

I guess it's too early to get revved up about it...but, personally I can't wait to sift through the guides when they come out, and read as much as I possibly can on the class.

Old
05-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Stepan Razor

I could see us taking Matt Calvert, a talented winger that played with Brayden Schenn in Brandon this season. 24-60-64 in 70 games played for the Wheat Kings this year. Problem is he's only 5'9 175, and that's likely to hurt his draft stock. Still though, 64 in 70 in the W is pretty solid.

Old
05-09-2008, 10:38 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I keep thinking about last years draft. I had ISS, Redline, and McKeens draft guides spread out all over my living room floor. Watching...and as soon as I believe it was Hickey that was drafted, I started getting excited that the Rangers would now have a great chance at drafting either Esposito, or Gillies...I didn't think that Cherepanov would ever still be available with the 17th pick. But...then it happened, and I was going crazy!

This year tough I started playing out scenerios in my head. Reading the mock draft etc. Now I am thinking about two players in general. First is Colton Tuebert. Personally I think this is what the club is missing most. Big defenseman...mean streak etc. But...with the 20th, he will probably be gone, but...if there are one or two surprises, maybe he could fall to the Rangers. Then...I started thinking about Beach again. Granted they team is really stacked already down the middle, but...if Beach falls to the mid to late 1st round, could the Rangers have a shot at getting him?

I guess it's too early to get revved up about it...but, personally I can't wait to sift through the guides when they come out, and read as much as I possibly can on the class.
Beach will fall and we will not select him. The Rangers are not going to select a question mark that huge in the 1st round. They learned with Hugh.

Old
05-09-2008, 10:53 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Daily View Post
I could see us taking Matt Calvert, a talented winger that played with Brayden Schenn in Brandon this season. 24-60-64 in 70 games played for the Wheat Kings this year. Problem is he's only 5'9 175, and that's likely to hurt his draft stock. Still though, 64 in 70 in the W is pretty solid.
I do like Calvert in the 2nd, but in a similar mold I really like Ennis in the first. He has the potential to emerge as one of the top 5-10 players in this class IMO.

05-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Nich

i still say toews....he lit up the league he was in and is going to a top 5 college program. that gives us 4 years to let him develop.

Old
05-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Stepan Razor

I like Ennis too, but I'm really wondering why his draft stock fell so hard from January. He's one of the fastest skaters I've seen in junior over the last few years.

Old
05-09-2008, 11:17 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
I like Ennis too, but I'm really wondering why his draft stock fell so hard from January. He's one of the fastest skaters I've seen in junior over the last few years.
From what I gather, it's more been about other players passing him than him falling, but that's something to consider.

Old
05-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Stepan Razor

I mean the guy had 91 points in 70 games playing as an undersized forward in the W. If that doesn't scream ability I don't know what does.

Old
05-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Nich

Quote:
I mean the guy had 91 points in 70 games playing as an undersized forward in the W. If that doesn't scream ability I don't know what does.

Ryan Hollweg's numbers in the WHL.....
2001-02 Medicine Hat Tigers WHL 58 Games 30 goals 40 assists 70 points 121 PIM

you were saying?

points does not equal offensive ability all the time....

Old
05-09-2008, 11:39 AM
Stepan Razor

Quote:

you were saying?

look you can go back and find guys over 1 ppg in the W that failed to do anything offensively at a higher level. in general though, the W is a more defensive league and a good PPG usually indicates some kind of offensive or hockey-sense ability.

Old
05-09-2008, 11:58 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:

you were saying?

I actually think that, had Hollweg not missed over a year of development time, he'd of been a much better offensive player today.

Old
05-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Beach will fall and we will not select him. The Rangers are not going to select a question mark that huge in the 1st round. They learned with Hugh.

I don't about that Johnathan. Different players here. Jessiman was ranked pretty high, but I don't remember him getting injured before the draft...wasn't the ankle injury after he was drafted?

In the case of Beach, this guy was as high as 5 and 6 on some of the guides before the 2nd concussion. I don't think this team passes up on him, if he is even avail with that pick. I guess some of the questions will be answered at the combine. See how he does there.

Closed Thread