HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2008 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2008, 11:12 AM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I guess this falls under the BPA scenario, but I would like to see the NYR draft the guy closest to NHL-ready as possible. Save the projects or real young kinds you are going to college or have two years left in juniors for the later rounds. I want to see someone who can have a near immediate impact. Long shot, I know.

Old
05-13-2008, 11:50 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I guess this falls under the BPA scenario, but I would like to see the NYR draft the guy closest to NHL-ready as possible. Save the projects or real young kinds you are going to college or have two years left in juniors for the later rounds. I want to see someone who can have a near immediate impact. Long shot, I know.
Agreed.

With all of our top end prospects within 2 years away from the NHL, to be able to draft another high end player to go with them would be huge for us.

If we could somehow make a package to draft a guy like Boedker would be huge.

That would give us 4 top 6 quality youngsters in our system.

Dubinsky, Cherepanov, Anisimov, Boedker or someone like that.

And of course, a couple of them will be held down to 3rd line duties simply due to depth.

And that would make our squad compete with any of the elite teams in the league, IMO.

Of if we can get one of the shut down, can't miss defenders in the draft, that would also be huge for us, as we wouldn't have to spend a ton of money on an extra UFA for the back end.

Old
05-13-2008, 12:19 PM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I got a feeling that Jared is "un-hyped" by most scouts, with hopes that he will fall in the draft. He did well this season -- bloodlines aside. It seems perfectly possible that he is just one year behind Jordan. These scouting services talks to NHL scouts all the time, everyone who have seen him says that normally he is a 1st rounder, then he shows up late in allot of mock draft, that makes it seem to me that he might go high, like top 10-15
OT - Ola, is that your new little one in your avatar?

Old
05-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Forechecker

Any thoughts on John Carlson? I know he's going to UMAss Amherst, but he looks like he'd be a nice asset in our system (completely contradicting my above post, I know).

Here's what Prospect Park has to say:

Quote:
Super solid 2 way defender who had he gone the CHL route would have been a Top 10 pick but because he played in the USHL did not get the attention he deserved.

In our book he is as good as any of the Top 5 defensemen, he can skate, hit, has a high hockey IQ and is poised beyond his young years. We liken him to Ron Hainsey who we are hoping the Rangers sign as a UFA. Oh did we mention that Carlson is also from Colonia, NJ?

Old
05-13-2008, 03:37 PM
NYR Viper

i just hope they get a high-impact winger or a hard-hitting defenseman

Old
05-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Any thoughts on John Carlson? I know he's going to UMAss Amherst, but he looks like he'd be a nice asset in our system (completely contradicting my above post, I know).

Here's what Prospect Park has to say:
I like that kid, not sure I like that he's a Devs fan though

Btw, this is an interesting site for the 2008 draft prospects:

http://www.nhlentrydraft2008.com/

Old
05-13-2008, 03:53 PM
NYR Viper

one thing i dont understand is the rangers are picking what?...21?....boedker is ranked 11th on the NA rankings...is there no way he could fall?....are there no european players who could go above him?

Old
05-13-2008, 03:54 PM
Forechecker

My Carlson link goes to that site.

Old
05-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
one thing i dont understand is the rangers are picking what?...21?....boedker is ranked 11th on the NA rankings...is there no way he could fall?....are there no european players who could go above him?
Boedker is playing in the CHL, so he is ranked with the North Americans. No way he slips past #10 in this draft, and if we are at #20 we'd have to move up 10 spots, that almost never happends.

Old
05-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
OT - Ola, is that your new little one in your avatar?
Yep!

He is little now, but he is growing!!!

Old
05-13-2008, 11:53 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Yep!

congrats!!

Old
05-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Pizza

Nice work Ola!!!

Oh, I'm sure your wife put in the time as well

Congrats to you both.

Old
05-14-2008, 08:27 AM
Forechecker

http://www.mynhldraft.com/ has a mock draft that was updated on May 8th, and has us picking Colby Robak, which they describe as a big guy who's afraid to hit. Um, so why take him then? Especially with John Carlson and Joe Coleborne still on the table?

His scouting reports at NHL 2008 Entry Draft site are more glowing.

Old
05-14-2008, 09:51 AM
SPG

Quote:
Yep!

Congrats!!!!

Old
05-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Entrancemperium

What about the swedish defenceman Kristoffer Berglund? He sure impressed me at the world junoirs but he's only 5`10 the play by play guys compared him to Tobias Enström of the thrashers.

Old
05-14-2008, 02:44 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
i just hope they get a high-impact winger or a hard-hitting defenseman
Amen.

Old
05-14-2008, 03:26 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Yep!

Congratulations, Ola! Onneksi olkoon! Wish I could say it for you in Swedish.

Old
05-14-2008, 05:58 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
http://www.mynhldraft.com/ has a mock draft that was updated on May 8th, and has us picking Colby Robak, which they describe as a big guy who's afraid to hit. Um, so why take him then? Especially with John Carlson and Joe Coleborne still on the table?

His scouting reports at NHL 2008 Entry Draft site are more glowing.
Yea that doesn't make sense to me either. We certainly won't take a soft defenseman when our needs on the blue line are a shut down guy and a PP QB.

As UAGoalieGuy suggested, how about Colten Teubert?

Big shut down, punishing defenseman, ranked low enough that we may be able to grab him.

http://www.nhlentrydraft2008.com/fea...&playerID=1018

Old
05-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Unk

Now I don't know terribly much about this draft, but from what I've read, I'd rather go for Colborne if he's available. Sure this team is currently pretty strong at center but we lack a big skilled forward. I'm sure another PP QB and defensive Dman can be found in the later rounds.

Since I haven't seen these players play and am just going by the reports, I've also a bit of an interest (if they slip into the 2nd or later rounds maybe) in Gustafsson and Karlsson. Sure the latter might be a smaller defenseman, but the Rangers don't really have any small defenseman, so if he pans out I'm sure one smaller guy who can QB the PP (if Sanguinetti doesn't pan out, or to give us two guys) will be fine. Enstrom didn't seem to have a big season.

Just my uneducated two-cents.

Last edited by Unk: 05-14-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old
05-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

To those interested in Colborne think about a range of Jeff Toms to Viktor Kozlov. Not sure if I'm too interested in taking a swing at this kind of player.

FACEBOOK
TWITTER
Old
05-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
To those interested in Colborne think about a range of Jeff Toms to Viktor Kozlov. Not sure if I'm too interested in taking a swing at this kind of player.
I'm a little confused by the reference. The thing is at 20th overall there is no sure pick so I'd rather take someone who could be a 1st line center. By that point I'd rather pick based off of potential. Considering he'll be in college he'll have plenty of time to work on what he needs to. Plus I don't see too many strong alternatives in the lower 1st.

Old
05-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
I'm a little confused by the reference. The thing is at 20th overall there is no sure pick so I'd rather take someone who could be a 1st line center. By that point I'd rather pick based off of potential. Considering he'll be in college he'll have plenty of time to work on what he needs to. Plus I don't see too many strong alternatives in the lower 1st.
It's just my two cents. You can draft on potential but be realistic. It's quite laughable that names like Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza and Vincent Lecavalier are being thrown around. Kozlov's an NHL player and at the end of the day there's nothing wrong with getting an NHL player with that 20th pick.

But I tend to think he's gonna be more Jeff Toms than a skilled 2nd line pro center. That's why I wouldn't pick him. He's been called perimeter. He's been called lazy. I don't see any determination in his game. Following these guys for awhile, players like Colborne turn out to be regrettable, forgotten picks. I don't want to see another Jessiman. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Old
05-14-2008, 11:03 PM
DarthSather99

Now that my dream of getting Beach is all but impossible, two other prospects intrigue me. Kirill Petrov and Greg Nemisz.

Petrov is a big Russian (6'3 205) that skates well and has a good shot. Can create offensive opportunities and is known as a player that works hard on getting back to play D. Could be a nice linemate to Cherepanov.

Nemisz is also a big winger (6'3 200) who had one of the hardest shots in the top prospects game. Both he and Petrov are players that like to score close in front of the net. Nemisz does need to work on his skating.

We need players that can crash the net. They are few and far between on the Rangers.

Old
05-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Unk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
It's just my two cents. You can draft on potential but be realistic. It's quite laughable that names like Joe Thornton, Jason Spezza and Vincent Lecavalier are being thrown around. Kozlov's an NHL player and at the end of the day there's nothing wrong with getting an NHL player with that 20th pick.

But I tend to think he's gonna be more Jeff Toms than a skilled 2nd line pro center. That's why I wouldn't pick him. He's been called perimeter. He's been called lazy. I don't see any determination in his game. Following these guys for awhile, players like Colborne turn out to be regrettable, forgotten picks. I don't want to see another Jessiman. Hopefully I'm wrong.
Like I said, having not had a chance to see him play, I can only go by hear-say, but it doesn't appear that he's a lazy player, and though he's been a bit of a perimeter player he's been improving in that area. Apparently he's been a very good student in school which isn't indicative of a lazy person, so I think the rich-lazy tag might be wrong.

Anyway, I thought the issue with Jessiman is his difficulty in thinking the game, which doesn't appear to be a problem with Colborne.

For a little more info this thread is useful.

Well, just my two-cents again. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and in five, ten years see what happens.

Old
05-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99 View Post
Now that my dream of getting Beach is all but impossible, two other prospects intrigue me. Kirill Petrov and Greg Nemisz.

Petrov is a big Russian (6'3 205) that skates well and has a good shot. Can create offensive opportunities and is known as a player that works hard on getting back to play D. Could be a nice linemate to Cherepanov.

Nemisz is also a big winger (6'3 200) who had one of the hardest shots in the top prospects game. Both he and Petrov are players that like to score close in front of the net. Nemisz does need to work on his skating.

We need players that can crash the net. They are few and far between on the Rangers.
Nemisz is someone Prospect Park mentioned that looked intriguing. But he is a center, and we're way overloaded in that position. If there isn't a dman we're willing to take at #20, and he's on the board, then grab him, I guess.

Closed Thread