HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2008 Draft Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2008, 03:23 AM
  #126
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,288
vCash: 500
What I think is interesting is that there seems to be so many really solid prospects kind of flying under the radar too. I natrually am not the man to comment on who should be ranked where. I'v only seen like 1/3 of the top 40, if that.

But in a normal draft year some guys that I've seen would have been locks to make the 1st round, like Markström (g), Tedenby and Voinov, and on many scouting reports thoose guys are ranked as low as 2nd-3rd rounders.

I defenitly think Tikhonov is a very interesting left over from previous seasons. This kid defenitly got allot of bias against him for his name and everything; and thats understandable I guess. But on the ice he must suprise just about everyone who didn't pick him in previous years. Because he plays like a NA, he works like a NA -- for 95% of the time and then pulls out some Russian vision and stickhandling for 5% of the time. Kristoffer Berglund is another solid leftover, but his potential is kind of limited, but he got good odds of making the NHL.

I think it seems like there is a ton of players to work with this year for the scouts.

I can see us get more of a one sided role player, who still is "top notch" in the cathegory his strengths lyes in, with the 21th overall -- like a Del Zotto (offensive D) or Myers (defensive D) who have dropped some in the draft, or a more well rounded player thats comming from behind.


Last edited by Ola: 04-09-2008 at 06:28 AM.
Ola is offline  
Old
04-09-2008, 09:33 AM
  #127
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I'd like us to add a power forward left wing and go heavy on the d, take some risks on this supposedly deep draft.

Forechecker is offline  
Old
04-11-2008, 08:09 AM
  #128
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,610
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
CURRENT LIST OF RANGERS DRAFT PICS 2008
  1. 1st round (30th pick?? maybe) Rangers pick
  2. 2nd Round Rangers pick
  3. 3rd round Carolinas pick (Rangers pick to LA for Avery)
  4. 4th Round NO PICK (Backman traded from St Louis for this pick)
  5. 5th round Rangers pick(conditions for acquiring Isbister were not met)
  6. 6th Round Rangers pick
  7. 7th Round Rangers pick (conditions for acquiring Paranteau were not met* )
*
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/drafttracker.htm

I cannot see that the conditions for Mike Green to Dallas have been met for acquiring a 7th round choice. Please correct this though as I am uncertain here...

Not too bad
6 pics in total
Backman was cheap. So was Avery

BBKers is offline  
Old
04-11-2008, 04:55 PM
  #129
Cherepanisimov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,181
vCash: 500
would you consider moving up to takke filatov or do you think it would be to risky, and if youwould, what would you give up

Cherepanisimov is offline  
Old
04-11-2008, 07:07 PM
  #130
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,610
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Our 1st (cmon - nr 30 is not much of a sacrifice)
Petr Prucha (whom I like a lot)
Sauer/Baranka/Potter
Hollweg
2nd 2009

for Filatov


Filatov - AA - Chere

would dominate the NHL for many years

add on this forward potential:

Avery - Dubinsky - Jagr/soon to be replaced by a new UFA
Drury - Gomez - Dawes
Cally - Whatever (Betts/Moore/UFA/trade/FA) - Whoever (Sjöström/Korpedo/Jessiman/Bourret/Byers/FA...)
WOW
WOW
WOW

I need anoher drink
NOW

and you have quite a team...

BBKers is offline  
Old
04-11-2008, 09:23 PM
  #131
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,054
vCash: 500
I'd rather keep the pick and draft David Toews to play on a line with Cherepanov

I Eat Crow is offline  
Old
04-12-2008, 01:21 PM
  #132
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
would you consider moving up to takke filatov or do you think it would be to risky, and if youwould, what would you give up
Filatov's contract with his Russian team ends after this season and has stated publicly that he is going to come over to North America after he is drafted. I think because of this he will be picked in the top 5 in the draft. I don't think any team picking in that range will want to drop from that spot all the way into the 20's, if not #30 (hopefully lol), unless something significant is coming back the other way. If he somehow fell out of the top 10, I would try to move up and it wouldn't cost as much.

I really don't see Filatov falling though. I wish.

UAGoalieGuy is offline  
Old
04-12-2008, 02:05 PM
  #133
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Filatov's contract with his Russian team ends after this season and has stated publicly that he is going to come over to North America after he is drafted. I think because of this he will be picked in the top 5 in the draft. I don't think any team picking in that range will want to drop from that spot all the way into the 20's, if not #30 (hopefully lol), unless something significant is coming back the other way. If he somehow fell out of the top 10, I would try to move up and it wouldn't cost as much.

I really don't see Filatov falling though. I wish.
After all this pro-NA talk, Filatov's gotta be the consensus second best prospect available on many lists.

General view of things:

Tier 1
Stamkos
Filatov

Tier 2
Doughty
Schenn
Bogosian
Pietrangelo

Tier 3
Bodker
Wilson
Hodgson

Tier 4
Bailey
Beach
Myers
Tedenby
Boychuk
Teubert

Tier 5
Eberle
Ennis
Sbisa
Voinov
Jenks
Del Zotto
Cuma

Tier 6
Sauve
Stefanovich
Robak
Gustafsson
McRae
Colborne
Toews
Gardiner

Tier 7
Deschamps
Carlson
Ness
Wahl
Dalpe
Trivino

Kinda hope we package some of our redundant NHL'ers and prospects to move up. If Kovalchuk is going to stay in ATL, see if they would like to trade down for some quality NHL depth. Tyutin/Girardi have regressed some and are no longer as untradeable as they once were IMO. If there's a chance to add a more dynamic defenseman prospect, do it. We're missing something on that backline.

I love Schenn, but we could really use a swingman, jack of all trades on D especially like Bogosian. He's offensively capable, drops the gloves, and he's a pretty heavy hitter.

__________________
DRAFTBUZZ HOCKEY
2015 NHL Draft Preliminary Ranking
Twitter
Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
04-12-2008, 04:35 PM
  #134
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,246
vCash: 500
I'm gonna be honest, from what I've seen I don't get all of the Filatov hype. Yea it would be cool to watch him on a line with Cherry and Anisimov, but he didn't look that impressive at the WJCs. Admittedly I haven't seen a ton of the kid, maybe you guys can convince me as to why I'm wrong.

HatTrick Swayze is online now  
Old
04-12-2008, 11:27 PM
  #135
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
I'm gonna be honest, from what I've seen I don't get all of the Filatov hype. Yea it would be cool to watch him on a line with Cherry and Anisimov, but he didn't look that impressive at the WJCs. Admittedly I haven't seen a ton of the kid, maybe you guys can convince me as to why I'm wrong.
He's a typical Russian game changer without the typical Russian mentality. He can create and finish, all at top speed. He does this all with the willingness to get involved in the not so fun areas of the ice. I believe he's been a captain before in international tournaments.

Right now one of the biggest knocks is he tends to back off and not bring it every shift, but as he gets older I can see him shaking that and becoming like Frolik. Just a non-stop machine neutral ice in.

Won't say he's the next Ovechkin, but he definitely doesn't have any negative mystery around him like Cherepanov or other Russians.

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
04-13-2008, 01:51 PM
  #136
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
After all this pro-NA talk, Filatov's gotta be the consensus second best prospect available on many lists.

General view of things:

Tier 4
Bailey
Beach
Myers
Tedenby
Boychuk
Teubert
Beach is a real wild card in there for a lot of teams. Some people can see him flaming out and won't touch him. Others think he underachieved and has some growing up to do, but has the talent to be a tier three or even a tier two.

He's going to be VERY interesting to watch in this draft.

Edge is offline  
Old
04-13-2008, 03:33 PM
  #137
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
He's a typical Russian game changer without the typical Russian mentality. He can create and finish, all at top speed. He does this all with the willingness to get involved in the not so fun areas of the ice. I believe he's been a captain before in international tournaments.

Right now one of the biggest knocks is he tends to back off and not bring it every shift, but as he gets older I can see him shaking that and becoming like Frolik. Just a non-stop machine neutral ice in.

Won't say he's the next Ovechkin, but he definitely doesn't have any negative mystery around him like Cherepanov or other Russians.
Great analyse as always MB!

Whats holding Filatov back somewhat is that he isn't extremely verstaile. He is not as nifty as a Cherepanov once in the attacking zone. He isn't a world class playmaker.

I hold him in the same mold as a Phil Kessel. But its very hard to judge how much growing he got infront of him the comming years. Its hard to tell if he will fill out like a Marian Hossa and potential almost become like a PF, or if he will remain thin and be more of a Semin type. And I really haven't seen him all that much.

Ola is offline  
Old
04-13-2008, 05:54 PM
  #138
NYR425
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
I have said this earlier in this thread, but I honestly believe that when we pick if Teubert is there we must draft him. Look at the league it is a defensive, take care of your end league. We have a 25 year old goalie, a defense of Staal, Backman, Tyutin, Girardi, Sanguinetti... add Colten to that and your defense is set for the next 10 season.... I think you have to take the one type of defenseman we need a physical horse, modern day Beukeboom. Pair him with Sanguinetti and you have a very good looking defense. We can get forwards in '09 to add to .... Gomez, Drury, Dawes, Sjostrom, Callahan, Dubinski and possibly Avery if we resign him thats 7 we have in the wings Byers, Korpikoski, Anisimov, Cherepanov, also to be considered Moore, Bourret, Dupont, Hillier and do not forget Hugh Jessiman who I believe has been #1 star 2 of last 4 games in Hartford and has 18 goals so far. Looks like he has taken a huge step forward in his development. As we all know, power forwards take much longer to develop and grow into their bodies. We should take the big defenseman if he is there and go forward the rest of the draft.

NYR425 is offline  
Old
04-14-2008, 08:17 AM
  #139
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet
 
I Eat Crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,054
vCash: 500
I had a dream last night that the Rangers traded up in the draft and took Luke Schenn 7th overall. Not too farfetched as far as the type of player the Rangers need. However, I do not recollect what the Rangers gave up, and I'm not sure what they'd have to give up in real life either to get the 7th pick.

I Eat Crow is offline  
Old
04-14-2008, 08:35 AM
  #140
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
would you consider moving up to takke filatov or do you think it would be to risky, and if youwould, what would you give up
YES

Too risky? No way.

Filatov is a ridiculous offensive talent.

to have Filatov with Cherepanov and Anisimov would be fantastic. The three of them were linemates at the last WJC nd played great togther.

To have that kind of chemistry would be fantastic. Not to mention all three have a tremendous amount of talent.

I would give up our 1st, 2nd, Prucha, and a prospect. Not sure if that would get it done.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
04-14-2008, 08:39 AM
  #141
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
The guy i REALLY want i Kabanov. He is going to be a superstar in the NHL.

He has Ovechkin quality skill, speaks fluent English already, wants to be in the NHL already, dynamic right handed left wing.

Only 15 years old.

Imagine how good this kid will be when he is ready for the NHL?

Of course he will be near impossible to draft. But, that is the guy i want us to draft in 2010.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline  
Old
04-14-2008, 10:05 PM
  #142
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PukkuMikku View Post
The guy i REALLY want i Kabanov. He is going to be a superstar in the NHL.

He has Ovechkin quality skill, speaks fluent English already, wants to be in the NHL already, dynamic right handed left wing.

Only 15 years old.

Imagine how good this kid will be when he is ready for the NHL?

Of course he will be near impossible to draft. But, that is the guy i want us to draft in 2010.
We'll have to see. Time does alot of good/bad for these guys. Perfect case is Angelo Esposito..once the limelight hit him, he fell back to earth, and even ended up regressing mightily. My suggestion is to give it some time, and focus on one draft at a time.

Just a note: Tavares gap on the number 1 spot in the 2009 draft has closed tremendously within a year.

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
04-14-2008, 10:12 PM
  #143
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,580
vCash: 500
We've been saying we need a legit star forward for quite a few drafts now, anyone think its finally the year we make a move for one in this 2008 draft?

Or was Cherepanov that guy last year?

I'd love the Rangers to get their hands on a consistent threat like Stamkos, Filatov, or Boedker.

Wouldn't mind packaging some of Girardi, Tyutin, Dawes, Prucha, 2008 1st, 2008 2nd, Sauer, Baranka, Moore to move up..

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
04-15-2008, 12:17 AM
  #144
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,195
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Beach is a real wild card in there for a lot of teams. Some people can see him flaming out and won't touch him. Others think he underachieved and has some growing up to do, but has the talent to be a tier three or even a tier two.

He's going to be VERY interesting to watch in this draft.
I've gotten more and more unimpressed with him over the course of the year. Every time I've seen him since the beginning of the year he's just looked less and less like the supposed top 10 pick some claim he is.

I see him falling quite a bit in this draft unless a team up there REALLY loves him and doesn't trade down to get him.

Would I take him at the tail end of the 1st? Possibly. But not any time before that.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is online now  
Old
04-15-2008, 12:18 AM
  #145
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,195
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan Blue View Post
We've been saying we need a legit star forward for quite a few drafts now, anyone think its finally the year we make a move for one in this 2008 draft?

Or was Cherepanov that guy last year?

I'd love the Rangers to get their hands on a consistent threat like Stamkos, Filatov, or Boedker.

Wouldn't mind packaging some of Girardi, Tyutin, Dawes, Prucha, 2008 1st, 2008 2nd, Sauer, Baranka, Moore to move up..
Tyutin would bring back a lot if moved alone.

Young, physical #2/3 defenseman with a fantastic contract? He'd be worth a top 10 pick alone.

I'd personally much rather move a guy like Girardi if we really wanted to move up in the draft. Tyutin is far too valuable.

Bird Law is online now  
Old
04-15-2008, 12:20 AM
  #146
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,195
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez to Jagr View Post
I'd rather keep the pick and draft David Toews to play on a line with Cherepanov
What pick? Your 2nd round pick? David Toews would be a waste of a 1st rounder.

Bird Law is online now  
Old
04-15-2008, 12:38 AM
  #147
Cherepanov 71
Registered User
 
Cherepanov 71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
What pick? Your 2nd round pick? David Toews would be a waste of a 1st rounder.
Toews is going to be a well-rounded hockey player. Its tough to tell where he is going to be drafted. Some people have him low teens, others early second round. We shall see

Cherepanov 71 is offline  
Old
04-15-2008, 12:45 AM
  #148
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
What pick? Your 2nd round pick? David Toews would be a waste of a 1st rounder.
Even if NYR do draft him, I don't think D.Toews is the kind of guy you'd put with Cherepanov.

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
04-15-2008, 01:00 AM
  #149
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Tyutin would bring back a lot if moved alone.

Young, physical #2/3 defenseman with a fantastic contract? He'd be worth a top 10 pick alone.

I'd personally much rather move a guy like Girardi if we really wanted to move up in the draft. Tyutin is far too valuable.
Not sure what's happened with Tyutin the past month or so. He hasn't really hit that much, and has had some questionable plays with the puck during the playoffs.

Skills aside, I just like the guy better than Girardi for some reason. One of our first true young guns, I guess.

To me ever since Girardi got hot with those eight goals, he forgot about what got him a spot on our blueline - his rock steady, lights out defensive play. Now he's just okay offensively, as he hasn't been close to that early season surge form, and okay defensively. On the whole, he's been inconsistent with the puck coughing it up and has always had a penchant for getting caught flat footed - he's done nothing to change that.

If there's a chance to add something special through the draft, I sacrifice Girardi without hesitation. And by something special, it would have to be a significant jump into the top ten, maybe even top five with some additions on our part. A young, proven NHL defenseman with some upside and a good contract, will definitely be mean a different scenario than the Marc Staal trade up that only cost a second I believe.

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
04-15-2008, 01:13 AM
  #150
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I've gotten more and more unimpressed with him over the course of the year. Every time I've seen him since the beginning of the year he's just looked less and less like the supposed top 10 pick some claim he is.

I see him falling quite a bit in this draft unless a team up there REALLY loves him and doesn't trade down to get him.

Would I take him at the tail end of the 1st? Possibly. But not any time before that.
Think he's gonna fall like Esposito. We'll probably see a team with multiple first round picks take him. Possibly Anaheim

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.