HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good ol' Roenick

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2004, 03:03 AM
tytech

vCash: 500
Good ol' Roenick

TSN:
TORONTO (CP) - Philadelphia Flyers forward Jeremy Roenick remains livid at the NHL and has made commissioner Gary Bettman the target of latest rant.

``(Bettman) forgot that the NHL merged with the WWF and we hide razor blades in our pockets and cut ourselves so we can get calls,'' Roenick told the Camden Courier Post on Thursday, as quoted by the Toronto Star.

``I'm just surprised that you can get fined $91,000 for throwing a water bottle on the ice. It's like fining Gary Bettman for all those lies about the collective bargaining agreement coming. He throws those around like they're candy.

``The NHLPA should fine him for those.''

It's the third straight day Roenick has slammed the NHL.

On Tuesday, Roenick went off when he was hit by a high stick from a Buffalo Sabre in the third period and there was no call. He skated by referee Blaine Angus and appeared to spit blood near him.

Angus told Roenick he did not see the infraction, which caused Roenick to erupt. His mouth bloodied, Roenick threw a water bottle across the ice at Angus and was ejected.

He tore into the NHL and its officials after the game and received a one-game suspension Wednesday, triggering another diatribe.

The suspension will cost Roenick $91,463.41 US in salary and prevent him from taking part in Friday's game against Toronto.

Old
01-16-2004, 03:45 AM
blah

He's made his point now he should chill. We can't afford to have him miss anymore games.

Old
01-16-2004, 04:47 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
He's made his point now he should chill. We can't afford to have him miss anymore games.
We dont want him to chill quite yet, he can do that after Saturdays HNIC game. Hopefully he will be so wound up he will get a couple of goals.

Old
01-16-2004, 07:58 AM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
I love it, someone on the team showing some emotion about something.

Old
01-16-2004, 08:28 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
We dont want him to chill quite yet, he can do that after Saturdays HNIC game. Hopefully he will be so wound up he will get a couple of goals.

exactly, a big night on saturday after we smoked Toronto last time we were on HNIC. Saturday will be more of a war than Friday's game.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
01-16-2004, 08:35 AM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
If we lose both games to toronto I will cry

Old
01-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Nah, good for JR, finally someone with the balls to actually call out Bettman. BTW, under the current collective bargaining agreement, AFAIK he can only get fined a max of $1000 US for slamming the league (different for officials). Well worth it IMO. There should be more stars in the league coming forward like this and not just Hull, Roenick and Thornton. Players like Kariya, Selanne, Sundin and Naslund need to stop being quiet complainers and start ranting about the way the league is letting this game go much like what JR did.

I respected Roenick a lot after the last playoff series between TO and Philly, but it just went up another notch.

Old
01-16-2004, 09:43 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Nah, good for JR, finally someone with the balls to actually call out Bettman. BTW, under the current collective bargaining agreement, AFAIK he can only get fined a max of $1000 US for slamming the league (different for officials). Well worth it IMO. There should be more stars in the league coming forward like this and not just Hull, Roenick and Thornton. Players like Kariya, Selanne, Sundin and Naslund need to stop being quiet complainers and start ranting about the way the league is letting this game go much like what JR did.

I respected Roenick a lot after the last playoff series between TO and Philly, but it just went up another notch.
I heard that Sakic had something to say on the subject. The problem is the league won't listen to their pocketbooks (lack of fan support) and they won't listen to one player. Gretzky complained, Lemieux complained. It needs to be the NHLPA or some other GROUP so the league will have to listen. It won't make them do anything, but it might start something in the right direction.

Old
01-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Slats432

I think he could find a better way to vent.

But I think from a Flyers standpoint, it is a great thing. Who would have thought that Roenick would be smart enough to distract the media from the Flyer's poor play with this off the deep end stuff. (Not being sacastic. Did you ever think that there might be just a touch of strategy to it all?)

Well done JR.

Old
01-16-2004, 04:41 PM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
I think he could find a better way to vent.

But I think from a Flyers standpoint, it is a great thing. Who would have thought that Roenick would be smart enough to distract the media from the Flyer's poor play with this off the deep end stuff. (Not being sacastic. Did you ever think that there might be just a touch of strategy to it all?)

Well done JR.
That's an interesting take. I think it also helps that they hit bottom during and after that game and had to seriouly look at their commitment. It showed tonight against Torunto.

Old
01-17-2004, 08:52 AM
sickboy35

good for jr! it's about time someone has the balls to say it like it is! this league is full of divers and the refs are the sorryest bunch that i've seen! jr had a right to be pissed! when did the nhl start looking like the nba? oh yeah? when buttman took over! screw u bettman!! oh yeah, and i hope you guys put a pounding the maple leafs!!

Closed Thread