HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off topic: Power 92 renamed...

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

vCash: 500
Off topic: Power 92 renamed...

...to 92.5 Joe FM

http://www.power92.com

Terrible.

Old
01-14-2004, 03:55 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by York16
...to 92.5 Joe FM

http://www.power92.com

Terrible.
Owned by rogers?

They did the same thing in Toronto with Kiss 92.5

Old
01-14-2004, 03:57 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
that has to be the worst name i ever heard

Old
01-14-2004, 04:05 PM
zamboni

Meh, I don't listen to 92.5 anyway. Too much mainstream crap. KRock is where it's at

Old
01-14-2004, 04:10 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
lol, I hardly ever listen to non-sports radio at all anymore. Bryn/Jake, then maybe some Rome, then the Joe/Kevin show from CGY, then maybe a CD, then it used to be John Short for an hour ( ) then Stauffer/Spector until game time, Jason Gregor at night ( )

Old
01-14-2004, 04:24 PM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni
Meh, I don't listen to 92.5 anyway. Too much mainstream crap. KRock is where it's at
K-snooze.

Here's MORE Led Zep! Here's MORE Stones, Here's MORE Hip, Here's MORE Pink Floyd.

I used to love Floyd!

I can't tolerate any of them 3 stations anymore. Turn the bass down on Terry voice already.

We need a TRUE hard rock station.

Digital cable/music.....put it on and tape/burn a couple hours worth (for driving), then change up after a week or so.

Old
01-14-2004, 04:28 PM
The Rage

Did all the old djs get fired? What the heck is going on? A few years ago this was the most listened to radio station in alberta. Oh well.

Old
01-14-2004, 04:29 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri

We need a TRUE hard rock station.
That is so true. I think we also need a hip hop station. Our city seems kind of lame without one. Oh well.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Did all the old djs get fired?
I heard that the morning crew was fired. Anyone else here this?

Old
01-14-2004, 07:14 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Did all the old djs get fired? What the heck is going on? A few years ago this was the most listened to radio station in alberta. Oh well.
Not according to the Sun. It said there will be two weeks of straight music, and then all the same old announcers will be back on.

Old
01-14-2004, 08:41 PM
Blakemen

Send a message via MSN to Blakemen
Anyone who listens to commercial radio is an idiot.

Love, Blake.

PS: I'm totally this pompous.

Old
01-14-2004, 08:55 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakemen
Anyone who listens to commercial radio is an idiot.

Love, Blake.

PS: I'm totally this pompous.
I had a similar thing to say to dawgbone about Jim Rome. Commercial radio does not have the greatest music ever produced (for the most part). However, if you think you can fully appreciate great music while you're driving, then you really don't know how to appreciate great music. I listened to power92 just for mild entertainment while I'm driving somewhere, and I think others are in a similar boat (but they won't admit it ).

Old
01-14-2004, 09:36 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I wonder if it will suck as good as it did before the name change.

I also agree that we need a hip-hop station in Edmonton...DESPERATELY!!!

Old
01-15-2004, 06:43 AM
Marconius

Quote:
That is so true. I think we also need a hip hop station. Our city seems kind of lame without one. Oh well.
I had just come back from a long while overseas when I heard the Power 92 format change. Thats great, now every station in the city essentially has the same playlist (Best of the Old & the New) I can't understand why stations aren't targeting specific demographics...maybe the middle-of-the-road, non-offensive housewife demographic brings in the most revenue or something

I've heard that Calgary has like 2-3 stations devoted soley to hip hop. Are they that much hipper then us? Maybe Carter was right

Old
01-15-2004, 06:45 AM
Allan

There's a lot of hip-hop at night on CJSR, and not the poppy bling-bling crap you used to get on Power 92, either.

Old
01-15-2004, 06:58 AM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
I wonder if it will suck as good as it did before the name change.

I also agree that we need a hip-hop station in Edmonton...DESPERATELY!!!
There's going to be a hip hop station coming out in a bit, which is the reason why Power 92 changed their format. It's going to be called the Vibe, same as Calgary's station, and be around 91 or so on the FM dial.

Old
01-15-2004, 07:03 AM
looooob

I think Calgary DID have 2 hip hop stations, but now we have one (sorry not a fan so I can't say for sure)

the other hiphop station was changed to "JACK FM" which by the sounds of it is the same as the new "JOE FM". based on a popular station of the same name in Vancouver (I think?) the one in Calgary is heavy on the 80s music and its 'no request we play what we want " format. basically more of the same old same old, like some of you guys have said already.

thank god for my CD player and sports and campus radio I guess

Old
01-15-2004, 07:18 AM
Digger12

All I can say is thank the lord for spinner.com and Team 1260. All the rest is dead to me.

Old
01-15-2004, 07:45 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
All I can say is thank the lord for spinner.com and Team 1260. All the rest is dead to me.
What exactly is spinner.com

Old
01-15-2004, 08:03 AM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
Just be thankful you don't live in Montreal. Where we have 3, YES ONLY 3 English channels on FM 92.5 Lite-Rock Q-92 (Doctor's office music) Mix 96 (The name says it all Justin Christina and Britney jibberish for teenyboppers) and Chom 97.7 (The Spirit of Rock) Classic rock channel playing lame old songs over an over again. then they try to stick in a new Chom track like a Nickelback (I love Nickelback) but just doesn't blend with the rest of their music.

The sad part about it is that they did a survery in one of the independent cultral newspapers and 4 yrs in a row, the best station is from Vermont!! 99.9 the Buzz (New Rock Alternative) This is a ll I listen to, but pretty sad considering it comes from the States.

Old
01-15-2004, 09:12 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconius
What exactly is spinner.com
http://www.spinner.com, it's now almalgamated with Netscape Radio.

I've used it with W98/2000/XP Pro, nary a quirk on each. It can get a bit repetitive sometimes, but the theme selections are excellent...anything from the theme music to Big Comfy Couch to Slipknot to Baroque to 50 Cent.

Old
01-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
There's a lot of hip-hop at night on CJSR, and not the poppy bling-bling crap you used to get on Power 92, either.
I'm more of a techno dude myself but I agree. Commercial radio is absolutely terrible. CJSR, CHED are the two stations that I actually don't mind. I would rather listen to foreign music which I don't even understand the words than listen to mindless pop music accompanied by mindless DJ blather. At home, Internet Radio from england or mp3s. But what's worse than the terrible music on commercial radio are the DJ's. My god. Its really sad when some student DJ's on CJSR know waay more (or at least sound like they know way more) about music than the people who actually get paid to do it for a living.

Anyone remember the Simpsons episode where they had the computer DJ doing mindless DJ commentary? (it was the one where Bart won Stumpy the elephant). I truly believe that a computer DJ could very easily replace the current DJ's on commercial air these days and no one would notice.

Old
01-15-2004, 12:48 PM
theoil

And why does nobody say anything about CKUA. Even with some of the dj changes in the last year or two easily the best radio station in Alberta. Lionel Rault has to be the best dj out there at the moment.

Old
01-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Hydroponic Harold

Yeah great hip -hop and more rap ...yeah lets have more Kill Whitey music , **** your biotch , shoot someone in da head for street cred ,F-this F-that.mutherFer...i know ime old but give me the K-rock classic rock anyday ..you know music where you can understand the words and songs about love and peace .

Rome is awesome ..i miss not being able to get his show here in the wilds of Bring Cash (B.C.).

Old
01-15-2004, 01:27 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroponic Harold
Yeah great hip -hop and more rap ...yeah lets have more Kill Whitey music , **** your biotch , shoot someone in da head for street cred ,F-this F-that.mutherFer...i know ime old but give me the K-rock classic rock anyday ..you know music where you can understand the words and songs about love and peace .

Rome is awesome ..i miss not being able to get his show here in the wilds of Bring Cash (B.C.).
Good Luck on handling B.C. I moved to "the wilds" out there to retire about 8 years ago and only lasted less than 2 years and only that long because I had built my 'dream home' to retire in. I don't know if it is the water, the weather or inbreeding but man what a cantakerous lot. I'd rather freeze every winter.

Closed Thread