HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Forsberg might join NHL team soon

Old
11-04-2007, 03:04 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

vCash: 500
Forsberg might join NHL team soon

Quote:
Forsberg, 34, has been practicing with Modo of the Swedish Elite League, but hasn't signed a contract with his former club in order to be available for a return to the NHL. One Swedish journalist in town recently spoke with Forsberg and said the center had received a recruiting call from countryman Daniel Alfredsson of the Senators, and that the Red Wings, Avalanche and Stars also have expressed interest in signing him.

link

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 03:07 PM
OttawaGM

ALFIE! ALFIE!

The guy did say that he wouldn't tell the media if he had called Forsberg. Maybe Forsberg turned us down, or maybe he's asking for too much $ or too long a contract?

OttawaGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 03:08 PM
The Fuhr

We are 11-1-0 do we even need Forsberg?

I won't complain if he is here, take a run at the Wings win record and hopefully get ourselves a cup after that.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 03:10 PM
OttawaGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post

I won't complain if he is here, take a run at the Wings win record and hopefully get ourselves a cup after that.
It would be better to pick him up and not need him then not pick him up and then realize we needed him when he destroys us in the finals with Detroit or something like that.

Old
11-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Air

Quote:
It would be better to pick him up and not need him then not pick him up and then realize we need him.
True ... for condoms, too.

Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Penner getrdonebryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaGM View Post
ALFIE! ALFIE!

The guy did say that he wouldn't tell the media if he had called Forsberg. Maybe Forsberg turned us down, or maybe he's asking for too much $ or too long a contract?
Or maybe he needs more time to see if he is capable of playing again at a high level

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Buckleys

Alfie is god!

I'd love Foppa as well.

Edit - 1900 posts.

Buckleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 03:13 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post

We have played crap teams. That's all there is to it really. Yes, we have played well...but I havent seen this team play one complete game yet. We have just played crap teams and gotten great goaltending.

Adding a player like Forsberg can't be a negative. I don't really know if I want him here or not, as I would rather go after someone who is guaranteed to be healthy...but whatever.

11-1-0 means nothing. We were excellent in 05-06, 02-03....Buffalo was dominant last year.....means nothing.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 03:14 PM
16w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
True ... for condoms, too.
theres nothing duct tape and saran wrap cant fix...

16w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 03:22 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
It would be better to pick him up and not need him then not pick him up and then realize we needed him when he destroys us in the finals with Detroit or something like that.
I agree, just wanted to plug 11-1-0, love what we are doing.

Old
11-04-2007, 03:37 PM
freakin

wasn't the last time forsberg was mentioned it was down to two teams?

this is getting ridiculoso.

freakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 03:41 PM
ynaffit

I guess we're the only East team that wants him. Come to the Eastern side, Foppa! We have chocolate.

ynaffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Rico__Persson*

I'm probably the only one that doesn't want Forsberg around. I think it changes the look of the team, on the ice and in the dressing room. Plus Forsberg is a shadow of himself, and hasn't done anything in a long time.

Someone will overpay and regret it. The biggest factor is that I think this team is good enough already. The player structure is there and players know their role. I would try and add a true goalie that is capable to outplay other playoff goalies consistently, but there is no one available right now, and Ottawa most certainly will have to finish this year with the current duo.

I think these guys learned a lot last year and I would like to see them get another chance together. Maybe a small tweak here or there, and if they get rock solid goaltending I think they're good enough to beat any team in the league in a seven game series.

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 04:22 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
Meh if it's true, then it's either us or the Avs. Can't seem him signing in Detroit.......would Sakic? or would Shanahan sign with Colorado? Nope....and the Stars are sucking this year.. But I doubt as much he'll sign for the Sens.

11-04-2007, 04:39 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Well if we're seriously gunning for Forsberg, which is pretty obvious, some of Murray's moves don't make much sense to me. Based on some things Paddock has said, and based on new signings, we have no room up front for another forward.

1. Paddock has said that McGrattan won't sit out multiple games, and will play even against teams that don't have a tough guy.

2. Murray and Paddock seem high on Richardson right now. I don't blame them, he brings solid defense, leadership, and some much needed grit on the back end. This means Schubert will in all likelihood be playing forward again this year. I think it was Paddock who said he liked Schubert's physical presense as a forward.

3. Paddock has also said that Emery and Gerber would be a tandem all season long, which kind of indicates that neither will be moved for the time being (possibly trade deadline), which negates the possibility of any forwards being moved in the interim.

4. It's pretty much a given that Foligno will be heading down once Spezza gets healthy, although Paddock noted that nobody has ever said that Foligno would be heading down.

So as it stands, we have...

Heatley-Spezza-Alfie
Foligno-Fisher-Neil
Vermette-Kelly-Eaves
Donovan-McAmmond-McGrattan
Robitaille (Forsberg)

Redden-Meszaros
Phillips-Volchenkov
Corvo-Richardson
Schubert

14 forwards for 12 positions. Foligno gets sent down, there's 13 forwards for 12 positions, and if we're assuming Schubert will play forward, once again we're at 14 for 12. All of these players would be signed to one way contracts (again, assuming Foligno is sent down).

On D, if Richardson sits in the press box it makes things a bit easier, but based on his play lately, I don't think he'll be sitting out games anytime soon.

My only guess would be that Murray is stockpiling third/fourth liners in order to move someone for picks in next year's draft. It's not like we need prospects, because as it stands, Bingo is already stockpiled with some good talent. Prior to the past two games, I would have said that Patrick Eaves would be the odd man out, yet he seems to have flourished on his new line with Vermette and Kelly. He's getting a ton of quality chances, and that whole line seems to be clicking. Apart from Eaves, Kelly seems like another possibility based on his contract status.

Overall, I'd say Murray has some insight on the Forsberg talk, and since he brought in Robitaille, I think that's a sign that Forsberg will not be joining us. It just doesn't make sense to bring Robitaille onto the roster if Murray has even a 25% chance of landing Forsberg.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 04:49 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arob View Post

1. Paddock has said that McGrattan won't sit out multiple games, and will play even against teams that don't have a tough guy.

Maybe we play Grats till deadline to get his points up and package him in a deal?

2. Murray and Paddock seem high on Richardson right now. I don't blame them, he brings solid defense, leadership, and some much needed grit on the back end. This means Schubert will in all likelihood be playing forward again this year. I think it was Paddock who said he liked Schubert's physical presense as a forward.

Well I agree, Richardson got his veteran skills to add to the team, maybe it's just temp in case Redden is moved next season then we have Schub with his offensive skills, added onto his natural D skills to be a more effective/equal Volchenkov.

3. Paddock has also said that Emery and Gerber would be a tandem all season long, which kind of indicates that neither will be moved for the time being (possibly trade deadline), which negates the possibility of any forwards being moved in the interim.

Got nothing on that, Gerber did lead Carolina to the playoffs, Ward finished it off. If that's the case here in Ottawa then 2 thumbs up.

4. It's pretty much a given that Foligno will be heading down once Spezza gets healthy, although Paddock noted that nobody has ever said that Foligno would be heading down.

Foligno should get sent down, he's a weaker Eaves only due to experience. He can be more effective, and a better player with shaping in the AHL.
All adding into your quote, but I'm too lazy to attempt to fix it.

RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Liliaceae
Sens ♥

I can't wait for him to pick a team already. I'm sick of hearing about where he's going.....

Liliaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 04:59 PM
OttawaGM

It wouldn't surprised me to see Neil moved in the next couple months. There have been rumours of teams looking to pick him up and after next year he will price himself out of town. We can't keep 2M+ tied up in both Neil and McGrattan. Right now McGrattan seems like the fan/team favorite and will command less then 50% of what Neil will be looking for.

Heatley - Spezza - ????
Forsberg - Fisher - Alfredsson
Vermette - Kelly - Eaves
McAmmond - Robitaille - Donovan
McGrattan

Redden - Meszaros
Phillips - Volchenkov
Schubert - Corvo
Richardson

Gerber
Emery

Old
11-04-2007, 05:03 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
It wouldn't surprised me to see Neil moved in the next couple months. There have been rumours of teams looking to pick him up and after next year he will price himself out of town. We can't keep 2M+ tied up in both Neil and McGrattan. Right now McGrattan seems like the fan/team favorite and will command less then 50% of what Neil will be looking for.

Heatley - Spezza - ????
Forsberg - Fisher - Alfredsson
Vermette - Kelly - Eaves
McAmmond - Robitaille - Donovan
McGrattan

Redden - Meszaros
Phillips - Volchenkov
Schubert - Corvo
Richardson

Gerber
Emery
Although it's very possible, I'd rather keep Neil over Grats. If it's doable which I'm sure can be, I'd send Grats elsewhere, call up Yablonski every now and then when we need a early tko.

RedWhiteBlackGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 05:05 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Neil will not be moved before the playoffs.

He makes 1.1 this season and next, he will be here for the duration of his contract.

Old
11-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
If you think McGrattan and Neil are in the slightest way comparable then you are crazy. Neil is a good NHL regular. McGrattan is an enforcer that is not at all important to this team winning in the playoffs. He will likely never, ever, ever play a playoff game on this team unless we are ravished by injuries. Neil on the other hand will never, ever be a healthy scratch in a playoff game as long as he is on this team.

Neil is among the NHL leaders in Hits almost every year. McGrattan gets 4 or 5 minutes a game in 50 or so games.

I am not saying Neil couldn't get moved if we think he can't fit in the salary structure of the team in the coming seasons but McGrattan has little to do with that. And Neil has a $1.1 million cap hit next season. It makes little sense to trade him when he is still cheap next season. How do you replace a 12 minute a night 3rd liner that is among the league leaders in hits and is one of the best pests in the entire league and can and will fight? I don't think you can do that.

McGrattan on the other hand eats up roster space is a RFA after this year and has a cap hit of $0.525. If we have 14 forwards long term and want it to be 13 or 12 then McGrattan is possibly the guy you trade or send to the minors.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 05:39 PM
SilverSeven

No way Neil is moved. Man this guy really is undervalued by some in Ottawa. Every GM in the league would love to have Neil. When you hear people talking about "Chris Neil type players" you know you have a good one.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Coluejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
No way Neil is moved. Man this guy really is undervalued by some in Ottawa. Every GM in the league would love to have Neil. When you hear people talking about "Chris Neil type players" you know you have a good one.
I don't think Neil needs to get moved. He does a lot for the team, although some things are absolutely moronic, however that is outweighed by the good I think.

As long as he sticks around line 3-4 I don't care..

Coluejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 07:39 PM
pdog1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico__Persson View Post
I'm probably the only one that doesn't want Forsberg around. I think it changes the look of the team, on the ice and in the dressing room. Plus Forsberg is a shadow of himself, and hasn't done anything in a long time.

Someone will overpay and regret it. The biggest factor is that I think this team is good enough already. The player structure is there and players know their role.
Forsberg isn't exactly a Roenick-type (or even Comrie-type) guy with a big personality. I don't see why he wouldn't fit in just fine.

I really think the perceived fragility of dressing rooms is totally over-rated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico__Persson View Post
I would try and add a true goalie that is capable to outplay other playoff goalies consistently, but there is no one available right now, and Ottawa most certainly will have to finish this year with the current duo.
Who is out there - and even remotely available - with that resume?

I don't have any concerns with Emery and Gerber.

pdog1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 07:42 PM
pdog1979

The only guys I can see the Sens moving before the playoffs are:

1. Eaves
2. Corvo

No point trading McG. No WAY they move Neil - too cheap, too valuable.

pdog1979 is offline   Reply With Quote