HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brent Johnson Clears Waivers

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Bohologo

vCash: 500
Brent Johnson Clears Waivers

Here's the link, because them's the rules

So I guess it's Tommy & Ty for the time being. Given the glut of goalies on the market, and Salo's improved play, it seems like Lowe doesn't have have to grab the first guy getting tarred & feathered out of their clubhouse as a replacement in the pipes...

Oates had two assists last night, Cross is outscoring Carter, the Flyers are in the toilet-what the hell are we supposed to argue about now?

Old
01-14-2004, 06:42 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Hemsky's lack of production.
Hemsky's bad defensive zone coverage.
Hemsky's inability to break through checks.
Hemsky's mental toughness.
Let's start from there.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Let's start from there.
That's it...you are STRICKEN from the LMHF will.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:55 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Let's start from there.
You forgot about his -8 +/-. Given that he is 4th on the team in scoring you can replace lack of production with bad +/-.

Or you could ask the question why is the most talented player on the team having so much difficulty? Sophmore jinx? Maybe it has something to do with coaching?

The reality is after the next game when Tommy let's in an easy one and the Oilers lose that will be the topic followed by I thought we were out of the PP slump followed by Oates is too old and who are we going to trade.

A thread on Hemsky won't make the radar.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:56 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Let's start from there.
Ales, meet The Wall

The Wall, meet Ales.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Bohologo

Quote:
Let's start from there.
Yeah, but don't we all agree on these? Or do we argue about what is the biggest problem?

Old
01-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Patch101

Send a message via ICQ to Patch101 Send a message via AIM to Patch101 Send a message via Yahoo to Patch101
Hemsky is way to young to push a great amount of pressure on
just yet .... give him another 2 or 3 seasons ..

Old
01-14-2004, 09:57 PM
OilerMania83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101
Hemsky will be an AMAZING hockey player...(hopefully as an Oiler..) Yes, he is having some problems right now...which can be expected from a VERY young potential superstar. In 2 years, I see Hemsky being the best Oiler by a fair margin.

Old
01-14-2004, 10:00 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch101
Since this has turned into a Hemsky thread

Anybody besides me wonder why they tried to turn a 27 year old left winger with good passing skills who is great along the boards into a centre instead of a 20 year old silky smooth right winger with take your breath away passing talent who gets knocked down along the boards earlier this season when we looked like we were a little short in that department?

Just asking.

Old
01-14-2004, 10:02 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Since this has turned into a Hemsky thread

Anybody besides me wonder why they tried to turn a 27 year old left winger with good passing skills who is great along the boards into a centre instead of a 20 year old silky smooth right winger with take your breath away passing talent who gets knocked down along the boards earlier this season when we looked like we were a little short in that department?

Just asking.
I actually thought the same thing. I assumed it had to do with size, and the fact that Smyth is more experienced, therefore more able to handle a transition.

Old
01-14-2004, 10:04 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerMania83
Hemsky will be an AMAZING hockey player...(hopefully as an Oiler..) Yes, he is having some problems right now...which can be expected from a VERY young potential superstar. In 2 years, I see Hemsky being the best Oiler by a fair margin.
Which is exactly why fans shouldn't go off the deep end when MacT sees fit to put Hemsky on the 3rd or 4th line when he's struggling like he is. He's only 20 years old, for all his god-given ability he's still trying to find himself as a hockey player, and more importantly as a man.

To be honest, it's the stuff outside the rink I worry about more with him than what he does on the ice. I hope the veteran guys watch out for him when he's at a club...I'd hate to see another Arnott situation.

Old
01-14-2004, 10:06 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Which is exactly why fans shouldn't go off the deep end when MacT sees fit to put Hemsky on the 3rd or 4th line when he's struggling like he is. He's only 20 years old, for all his god-given ability he's still trying to find himself as a hockey player, and more importantly as a man.

To be honest, it's the stuff outside the rink I worry about more with him than what he does on the ice. I hope the veteran guys watch out for him when he's at a club...I'd hate to see another Arnott situation.
What are you refering to? I vaguely remember the Arnott years...

Old
01-15-2004, 06:47 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerMania83
somehow i think that, in two years, mike york will still wear the "best oiler" lable.

Old
01-15-2004, 06:53 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
somehow i think that, in two years, mike york will still wear the "best oiler" lable.
two years from now we won't be able to afford Mike York and he will join a long list of good ex-oilers playing elsewhere.

Old
01-15-2004, 07:21 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
That's it...you are STRICKEN from the LMHF will.

Old
01-15-2004, 07:26 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
What are you refering to? I vaguely remember the Arnott years...
I believe he had gotten a girl pregnant during his time as an Oiler, somebody he'd met at a nightclub. It was in the local papers years ago. I don't think he ever married her, but he did give out child support to the kid.

It was one of the rumoured reasons why he was traded to New Jersey...the off ice stuff was getting too hard on him.

Old
01-15-2004, 08:07 AM
copperandblue

To keep with the "next year" theme and offer up a little defense of Hemsky and the coaching staffs current use of him, I offer the following reasoning (however misguided it may be);

On the radio last night, the guys on the Team were saying that the Oilers recoginize that they need but don't have an established shooter to compliment Oates' passing. The Oilers are trying to groom Isbister into that role and therefore are basically riding him for a while to try and get him to become that type of player.

So as far as Hemsky goes, the Oilers have Isbister and Smyth playing with Oates. They can't really move Oates or Smyth off that line because they need both of those guys doing what they are capable of doing down the stretch in order for the Oilers to make the playoffs. They won't move Isbister just yet for the reason mentioned above.

On the Torres, York and Dvorak line there is nothing to mess with either for obvious reasons. They have been the best line and it would be suicide to change that up.

So by extension that puts Hemsky on the third line.

Now we can all see that Hemsky is not likely to develop into a shooter any time soon and most of his production is going to come by way of assists. Because of that there is no way you play him long term with Oates this year but if Oates can help Izzy become a shooter then next year you have the shooter the Oilers need that is capable of playing with the passer that Hemsky already is. Obviously Oates won't be around then.

In the mean time the Oil sacrifice some of Hemsky's offense but get him playing in a role that should make him more responsible defensively. Something that he has to develop a little to take the next step. He should be a more rounded player as a result and that works well for the team long term.

Hemsky is not going to carry this team right now anyways so why not let him gather experience and develop the other parts of his game so next year or the year after he can step into a situation that compliments his play?

That's my theory anyhow.

Old
01-15-2004, 08:35 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan

excellent theory that makes some great sense.

although to be honest i don't see Isbister getting to become a premiere shooter still i think his best asset is to crash and bang his way through to the net as he has done so a few times this year.

Now to count the seconds before someone says call up Rita from Toronto

Old
01-15-2004, 07:48 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Let's start from there.
I'm thinking your questions were answered tonight. Hemsky gets the only goal and MacT has him out there at the end defending the lead.

I'm guessing you need to try another topic.

Closed Thread