Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Give the C to Kovy?

Old
11-05-2007, 10:07 AM
kracker1

vCash: 500
Give the C to Kovy?

Someone posted a thread about how to show appreciation to Ilya Kovalchuk for his back-to-back hat tricks. More than that, I am in favor of changing to Kovalchuk as captain of the Thrashers.

Holik doesn't appear to be using it.

Everyone knows who has shown up to play every game this season. Ilya.
Just like he played hard in the playoff series.

Give Kovy the C. He without question the leader of the Thrashers.

If there is a rule you can't change captains during the season, perhaps we should break this rule.

Sydney Crosby is the Penguin captain at a young age. He made plenty of youngster mistakes and took bad penalties his first two years from trying so hard but those failings are far outweighed by an unsurpassed talent and the competitive fire burning within him. Do those traits sound familiar?

Give Kovy the C. If now now, then next year.

But why not now? He has earned it and this team badly needs an on-ice leader. Ilya is that leader. Give Kovy the C.

kracker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Metallian*

It's his team, let him have the C.

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 10:40 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
I don't see what type of leader he is in the locker room but he is making a case based on his passion, determination, and leading by example on the ice.

He's put the team on his back several games this year, has busted his balls every shift, and even sticks up for his fellow player and fights (something he shouldn't do, but no one else steps up).

Kovy for Captain

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Thrasher King 18*

Send a message via MSN to Thrasher King 18* Send a message via Yahoo to Thrasher King 18*
The way he is playing this year and seeing how he has so much moral I would give him the "C" like when Hossa got his goal the other night he went over to him and congratulated him, I like that kind of thing. Kovalchuk is pumping up all of his teammates while Bobby Holik is doing nothing, he's invisible.

Thrasher King 18* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Oster

Send a message via AIM to Oster
I don't think you could find too many people who would argue against it at this point. He's the heart and soul of this team right now and the only result from Holik's "leadership" I've seen got us an extra penalty.

Oster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Safir*

Trading Holik and it would make way for Kovy to become captain. He has certainly changed over the years. I still can't believe the way he's playing right now.

I loved the way he praized the rookie goalie Pavelec after the Bolts game. He's so hard beat in practice (lit.) This is coming from a three time 40+ goal scorer (incl. 52 G) & after Tampa Bay scored four on him. You can imagine that Pavelec will be more confident heading into his next game. All signs of a leader.

WTG #17....I'm all for Kaptain Kovalchuk.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 01:00 PM
kracker1

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dandy View Post
I don't see what type of leader he is in the locker room but he is making a case based on his passion, determination, and leading by example on the ice.

He's put the team on his back several games this year, has busted his balls every shift, and even sticks up for his fellow player and fights (something he shouldn't do, but no one else steps up).

Kovy for Captain
That is my only question as well, the locker room effectiveness of a Captain Kovalchuk, speaking to and for the players with coaches and management, encouraging, cajoling, knocking heads, settling disputes, being team spokesman to the press and public. I thik he will do the team spokesman just fine but I can't know the locker room part.

Maybe when we get to it, Kovalchuk already is the Cap, period, with or without the C on the sweater.

kracker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 938
I'd love to see Kovy with the C. To me, the way his defensive play has improved shows his commitment to the team. He's actively trying to do everything he can to help his team win, not just trying to put up flashy stats.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Kamina
Amok

Kovalchuk takes the C. Holik makes for a terrible one.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 04:29 PM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
just curious how many times a captain is stripped of his "c" mid-season...my guess is not very many. trading holik might be the best option, then it would be easy.

i agree. ilya deserves the C!!

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 04:46 PM
trekronor

Isn't it also possible to change captains when a new coach comes on board? Since the "C" was given by Hartley, and not much of what Hartley did lives on with this team, it would make sense that this vestige of Hartley's rule would disappear.

trekronor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 04:52 PM
GloveSideHigh

Im all for Kovy getting the C but ive noticed that he didnt even have an A in some of the games this season. Im pretty sure he didnt last game. If DW was smart, he would give a perminant A to Kovy for this season and offer him the C next season. Offering him the C would also increase our chances of resigning him in the future.

GloveSideHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 04:54 PM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSideHigh View Post
Im all for Kovy getting the C but ive noticed that he didnt even have an A in some of the games this season. Im pretty sure he didnt last game. If DW was smart, he would give a perminant A to Kovy for this season and offer him the C next season. Offering him the C would also increase our chances of resigning him in the future.
Hossa and Kovy wear the A at home.
Havelid and Kozlov wear them on the road. I think.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that the A on Kovy's chest is at least one reason, why he's playing so dominant right now.

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote