HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

HHOF 2008 Question

Old
11-07-2007, 09:29 AM
cupcrazyman
42 Long

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
woot?

73 goals (11th highest total of all time) in the post season for Ciccarelli.

Dino has had run ins with the law 3 times as i remember.not exactly what you want in a HHOF'er.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 11:05 AM
rmchahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman View Post
Dino has had run ins with the law 3 times as i remember.not exactly what you want in a HHOF'er.
Isn't the HHOF for on-ice achievements?

rmchahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 04:52 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
Claude Lemieux was eligible for the first time in 2007, and while Duff's induction does pave the way for clutch, two-way wingers like Lemieux and Esa Tikkanen to be inducted, let's remember that Duff needed more than 30 years before he was enshrined.
The only way for either Claude or Esa to ever get in the Hall should be buying a ticket. Actually being inducted would be a farce.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
The only way for either Claude or Esa to ever get in the Hall should be buying a ticket. Actually being inducted would be a farce.
I'm not advocating Tikkanen for the HOF, but him getting in would be no less of a farce that Clark Gillies' induction. They're both very similar cases. Both were leading support players on several Stanley Cup winners. Both oozed intangibles. Gillies was the "third-man" to Bossy and Trottier, Tik was the "third-man" to Gretzky and Kurri, if only for a couple full seasons.

Career stats:

Gillies: 319 G, 378 A, 679 Pts, 0.73 PPG
Tikkanen: 244 G, 386 A, 630 Pts, 0.72 PPG

Gillies top five seasons were 91, 85, 78, 77, and 61 points. Tikkanen's were 78, 78, 74, 69, and 63 pts. Gillies was a six-time 30 goal scorer, Tik only three times. Gillies played his prime years in a slightly higher scoring era, but he gets the edge in the regular season.

But in the playoffs, I would have to give Tikkanen a sizeable edge, though certainly not to say Gillies wasn't a playoff warrior himself.

Gillies: 47 G, 47 A, 94 Pts, 0.57 PPG
Tikkanen: 72 G, 60 A, 132 Pts, 0.71 PPG

Gillies had four big playoff years (80-82, 84), and once cracked the top-10 in playoff scoring, finishing fifth in 1984 as the Islanders' leading scorer.

Tikkanen had three big playoff years, finishing fourth in playoff scoring in '88, fifth in '90, and was just outside the top-10 in '91, despite his team not making it to the finals.

Tikkanen managed to win everywhere he went, not just in Edmonton. He was an important player in New York's Cup win, and went to the finals again with Washington. In the '97 playoffs, by now debilitated by knee injuries, he and Gretzky carried the Rangers to the conference final. In basically 12 full seasons in a career hampered by injury, Tikkanen went to the finals five times, with three different teams, winning four Cups, and made it past the second round 8 times. And that doesn't even include his Cup win in '85, where he played just three games (all in the finals). One of the best playoff resume's EVER, for a player who wasn't considered a star and didn't often play on the first line.

Again, I'm not saying Tikkanen should be inducted, but IMO he's just as deserving as Gillies (who shouldn't be in).

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 10:02 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
I'm not advocating Tikkanen for the HOF, but him getting in would be no less of a farce that Clark Gillies' induction. They're both very similar cases. Both were leading support players on several Stanley Cup winners. Both oozed intangibles. Gillies was the "third-man" to Bossy and Trottier, Tik was the "third-man" to Gretzky and Kurri, if only for a couple full seasons.
While I agree that Gillies is undeserving, he was twice a 1st team all-star, somehting that Tik never was.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
While I agree that Gillies is undeserving, he was twice a 1st team all-star, somehting that Tik never was.
Yep, I failed to mention that in my post, though I did concede Gillies the advantage as far as regular season play. Tikkanen's playoff record is what evens the argument as far as I'm concerned.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 11:10 AM
cupcrazyman
42 Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmchahn View Post
Isn't the HHOF for on-ice achievements?
why don't you ask the HHOF induction commitee that question ?

Dino was charged with assault after hit Luke Richardson in the head with his stick @ Maple Leaf Gardens.how's that for on ice achievement ?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...56C0A96E948260

Old
11-08-2007, 12:55 PM
LapierreSports

Send a message via MSN to LapierreSports
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman View Post
why don't you ask the HHOF induction commitee that question ?

Dino was charged with assault after hit Luke Richardson in the head with his stick @ Maple Leaf Gardens.how's that for on ice achievement ?

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...56C0A96E948260
You can ask that question to members of the voting comitee but they wont asnwer. Theres a stupid rule that involves secrecy in terms of voting results and talking about potential HOF'ers when you are part of the voting comitee.

I have asked Dick Irvin, Bertrand Raymond and Y.Pedneault why they did not vote for Cicarrelli and all of them could not talk about it, altough Pedneault hinted that he had a lot of off ice incidents. They cant give you their opinion on the possibility of a futur HOF'er getting inducted because of a STUPID secrecy clause.

LapierreSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 10:55 PM
cupcrazyman
42 Long

as far as i know, there are 3 times that he made headlines off of the ice.

1)the stick hit on Richardson
2)he walked nude in front of his window at home and someone called the police.don't know if they charged him with flashing ?
3)he got into an altercation with a man that dropped off Dino's wife back at their house.

there are players in the HHOF that beat their wives,used steroids,used cocaine,charged with assault & still got inducted.