HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Prospect ranking: Tony Salmalainen

View Poll Results: Tony Salmelainen career potential?
10=Potential Superstar(Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr...) 1 1.52%
9=Regular All Star(Lidstrom, Forsberg, Sakic...) 1 1.52%
8=1st liner/top dman(Iginla, Weight, Hatcher) 3 4.55%
7=Top 6 forward/top unit Dman(Carter, Brewer...) 8 12.12%
6=Solid 3rd liner/second pairing Dman(Marchant, Ricci, Staios) 24 36.36%
5=3rd/4th liner/3rd pairing Dman(Moreau, Cross...) 18 27.27%
4=Minor leagues/limited NHL action/PB(Ferguson, R. Fitzpatrick) 10 15.15%
3=Career Minor Leaguer 1 1.52%
2=Career depth Minor Leaguer 0 0%
1=Hockey dropout 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2004, 06:33 PM
Jamie

vCash: 500
Prospect ranking: Tony Salmalainen

The next two I thought I'd throw out there are Salmelainen and Brodziak. Kind of a couple of the boards favourites.

Old
01-15-2004, 09:01 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
The next two I thought I'd throw out there are Salmelainen and Brodziak. Kind of a couple of the boards favourites.
I'm kind of surprised at how the votes are going for Salmelainen. It seemed to be that everybody loved this guy and was expecting big things from him. I put him in some trade proposals and people were saying how there's no way he'd be dealt now. But if you're only considering him to be, eventually at that, a 3rd liner, why couldn't he be dealt? We have lots of those type of players.

Old
01-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Allan

I love the guy. He plays a fast, hard work game. He can score a bit, and can certainly change the momentum of a game, and those guys are valuable too, but we have to be realistic about his skill level too. I really don't think he has the scoring ability to be a second liner, but he can be a great fourth liner.

Old
01-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Jamie

Just curious Windowlicker, you seem to be a pretty good poster around here, and I was wondering if you were serious with your 10 rating or not? Thats a pretty bold prediction for Tony if you are being serious.

Old
01-15-2004, 05:14 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie
Just curious Windowlicker, you seem to be a pretty good poster around here, and I was wondering if you were serious with your 10 rating or not? Thats a pretty bold prediction for Tony if you are being serious.
I think he is trying to counter Lanny's obviously biased work. If Jamie calculates the averages like he said he is going to, then that becomes important.

Last edited by The Rage: 01-15-2004 at 05:58 PM.
Old
01-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I think he is trying to counter Lanny's obviously biased work. If he calculates the averages like he said he is going to, then that becomes important.
I said I'd disreguard the top vote and and the worst vote, so doesn't really matter that much.

Old
01-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Oi'll say!

Neat-o, I didn't know that it was possible to see where everyone voted.

Apparently windowlicker didn't either

Old
01-15-2004, 06:01 PM
Lowetide

I think he's a 'tweener'. It's like a major league baseball team having a first baseman who hits .285 with 15 homers. Nice average, but not enought power.

Salmelainen probably won't ever be a 3rd or 4th line player, so that means he has to be on the top 2 lines. He hasn't shown the offensive numbers to warrant reasonable hope he'll get there.

A poster awhile back said something like 'does everything but finish'. Nice pun, accurate assessment imo.

Old
01-15-2004, 06:20 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I think he's a 'tweener'. It's like a major league baseball team having a first baseman who hits .285 with 15 homers. Nice average, but not enought power.

Salmelainen probably won't ever be a 3rd or 4th line player, so that means he has to be on the top 2 lines. He hasn't shown the offensive numbers to warrant reasonable hope he'll get there.

A poster awhile back said something like 'does everything but finish'. Nice pun, accurate assessment imo.
Yeah.

I didn't like giving Salmo a 4 because imo he's just one of those guys you have to root for, I really hope history proves us negative nellies wrong on this one.

My own prediction is that Salmo will earn some call-ups but he won't be able to do enough steal the show from the 215 lb'ers whom the nhl teams just refuse to give up on.

Closed Thread