HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Greatest Player Ever

Old
11-17-2007, 03:12 AM
Shootmaster_44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
Gretzky made players around him better as did Orr and Lemiuex, Edmonton also won the cup without Gretzky, so I figure he was not completely surrounded by bad players, on the other hand, the Bruins and Penguins have not won a cup since Orr and Lemiuex retired.
No that's true. I did mention the Oilers when talking about Gretzky, but the Kings are a great example of him taking mediocre players and making them better. Outside of Dave Taylor, Jari Kurri and Luc Robitaille, the '92-'93 Kings that went to the Cup, were certainly a bunch of mediocre to good players that Gretzky made better. Though, one could argue that that team was largely Luc Robitaille's until the playoffs. But there's a wealth of evidence that he made the Kings much better than they were, especially Marty McSorley. To think that his play during that Cup run was so consequential that he caused a turning point of an entire series is incomprehensible.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 04:07 AM
Transported Upstater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weztex View Post
SLIGHTLY OUT TOPIC

In yesterday's Journal de Québec, Quebec City's most popular (and worst) newspaper, a columnist was making his top 10 players ever.

1. Mario Lemieux
2. Bobby Orr
3. Wayne Gretzky
4. Mark Messier
5. Jean Béliveau
6. Bobby Hull
7. Guy Lafleur
8. Gilbert Perreault
9. Marcel Dionne

10. Gordie Howe

After reading that, I felt proud of the level of knowledge people on this board have toward the history of the game.

That guy has been paid to put up one of the worst top 10 I've ever seen, not mentioning the omnipresent Quebec bias in our media. He left out Rocket saying he didn't see him play, so basically, it's his top 10 favourite players.

BACK TO TOPIC
Why am I not surprised.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote