HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Who was better ? and give your reason.

Old
11-05-2007, 10:04 PM
ccourneya

vCash: 500
Who was better ? and give your reason.

Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux ?

Dale Hawerchuk or Pat Lafontaine ?

Brett Hull or Bobby Hull ?

Mark Messier or Paul Coffey ?

ccourneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 10:13 PM
ccourneya

Ray Bourque or Paul Coffey ?

Mark Messier or Steve Yzerman

ccourneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 10:38 PM
Joe Pelletier

I wrote this article examining Gretzky vs. Lemieux, and I came to a very important conclusion when it comes to comparing players head to head. I'll let you read the article and see if you agree:

http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com...o-lemieux.html

Joe Pelletier
http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/

Joe Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Sens Rule

Gretzky. He played longer, won more awards, more Cups and had more tremendous playoff runs.

Tougher. I think Hawerchuk had a long run of excellence in Winnipeg. He was so overlooked at the time. Lafontaine didn't start out as brilliant as Hawerchuk and when he did reach his peak he was a force but then he got injured.

Bobby. No doubt about it. Brett was a sniper par excellence. Bobby was a complete hockey player and the best player probably in the world for quite a period. One could possibly debate who had a better shot or maybe who was a better goal scorer. The better player is very, very, very clearly Bobby.

For their career I take Messier. Longer period of dominance. In their prime on the mid 1980's Oilers I think Coffey was the better player and more important to the Oilers than Kurri or Messier until he left. Even with Messier's Smythe. But Messier kept getting better and was awesome in the early-mid 1990's when Coffey was less effective than he was in Edmonton.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 11:50 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Hawerchuk's prime and peak was during his time in Winnipeg. In Buffalo, he wasn't the same Hawerchuk when he was a Jet. No longer was there the 40+ goal scorer he's capable off, although his assists were still there...there wasn't that jump in him.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 10:05 AM
tony d
Summer Camp

Gretzky- He played longer and made more of an impact on the game than Mario.

Hawerchuck- He played longer and did not have the injury troubles Lafontaine had.

Bobby- Better player than his son, Bobby is often considered the greatest LW of all-time, never have I heard Brett considered the greatest RW of all-time.

Mark Messier- Messier was just a better all-around player than Coffey.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Jungosi

Send a message via ICQ to Jungosi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccourneya View Post

On Lemieux vs. Gretzky I pretty much agree with Joe's article about them.

I take Hawerchuk over LaFontaine because of his longiviety.

Bobby over Brett Hull by a big margin. Bobby was a dominant foward who ranks in the top-10 of basicly every all-time list. Brett was "just" an incredible goal scorer.

Coffey over Messier by the smallest possible margin , mainly due to the reason that I hate Mark Messier and think his leadership is a bit overrated. Coffey might have had some defensive concerns but he was so great to watch and he was a factor in every 190+ point season by Gretzky and Lemieux

Jungosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Rick Middleton

Send a message via AIM to Rick Middleton
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccourneya View Post
Gretzky. Lemieux had the better skill set, Gretzky just won championships and every imaginable award.

Quote:
La-la-la-la-la-la-lafontaine. He could single-handedly control a game moreso than Hawerchuk. Not that I don't appreciate what Hawerchuk could do, but Lafontaine was even more explosive.

Quote:
The Elder Hull. Not even a question.

Quote:
Ray Bourque or Paul Coffey ?
Bourque, for longevity, continued level of excellence, defensive play and leadership.

Quote:
Mark Messier or Steve Yzerman
Stevie Y. As much as Messier was a leader, his time in Vancouver showed that when he was disinterested he wasn't as much of an impact player. Stevie Y had some craptastic teams to play with in Detroit in his earlier years and he never ceased to produce.

11-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Hawerchuk's prime and peak was during his time in Winnipeg. In Buffalo, he wasn't the same Hawerchuk when he was a Jet. No longer was there the 40+ goal scorer he's capable off, although his assists were still there...there wasn't that jump in him.
There's a reason why Mogilny scored 76 goals. Hawerchuk was a big reason for that.

11-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
There's a reason why Mogilny scored 76 goals. Hawerchuk was a big reason for that.
I would say Lafontaine's 95 assists had more to do with that, since Lafontaine actually centered Mogilny.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 09:50 PM
The One Who Knocks

Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux
Lemieux. I always considered him more talented than Gretzky, and I think that if he had been able to stay healthy throughout his career, he would've smashed a few of Gretzky's record. Mario's PPG average over his career was higher then Wayne's before his first retirement, and he played nearly every game with some sort of ailment. I'm not trying to undermine Gretzky, because Gretzky undoubtedly had the better career and won many more awards, but I just feel that Lemieux was a better player.

Dale Hawerchuk or Pat Lafontaine
Hawerchuk. Both were great, but Hawerchuk had five straight 100-point seasons (not including his 100 point rookie season), was a 500 goal scorer, and was a dynamic player for a really long time.

Brett Hull or Bobby Hull
Bobby. The greatest player in the world when he was playing

Mark Messier or Paul Coffey
Coffey. Really close though. Both were tremendous players. I'm kind of biased against Messier because he had a tendency to be dirty at times

The One Who Knocks is offline   Reply With Quote