HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Modin is a wasted roster spot

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-06-2007, 11:28 AM
  #51
X0ssbar
 
X0ssbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: ...on a star!
Country: United States
Posts: 13,011
vCash: 500
All hail Skraut

Thank you man.. I just couldn't muster up enough energy to reply to this <insert word of choice here> .

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 12:03 PM
  #52
Inquiring Minds
Registered User
 
Inquiring Minds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grandview, Ohio
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan#1 View Post
I was thinking that myself. I've personally been wondering about the seemingly larger number of groin injuries this year. I can't tell if it's just that it's all the big names getting them, if more people are getting them, or what. I know the CBJ ice has not been of top notch quality this year, but that would only partially explain Nash and Modin, not the rest of the league.

The only universal change has been the uniforms, but I can't imagine that could have had anything to do with it.
MUST be the new sweaters.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 12:28 PM
  #53
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
I appologize if I came on too strong, but was insulted by the thread's title. The Blue Jackets are 8-3-2. They are playing meaningful games in November for the first time in franchise history. I don't expect every thread to be all optimism all the time, but threads like this are just uncalled for. The Jackets are winning, they are doing it as a team, lets enjoy it for a change.

I also know Columbus is a college sports town, and you all aren't used to the concept, but I am absolutely SICK AND TIRED of hearing that every player is overpaid, but especially somebody like Modin that could have easily made 5 or 6 mil on the open market with the insane prices teams were paying this offseason. We had to go through this with Nash about how he's overpaid. We had to go through this with Zherdev about how he's overpaid (I'm not going there Pubs, because it's true) But seriously, which would you rather have, Nash at 5.5 mil this season or Vanek at 10 mil. It can ALWAYS be a lot worse

Personally I'd go take Modin, shove him in the Xerox machine, make 11 copies, pay each 2.75mil, roll 4 lines of Modin clones, and still have 17.3 million to spend on defense, goaltending, and silver polish for the Stanley Cup.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 12:31 PM
  #54
dru
Jarmo Unchained
 
dru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CBUS
Country: United States
Posts: 6,389
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Personally I'd go take Modin, shove him in the Xerox machine, make 11 copies, pay each 2.75mil, roll 4 lines of Modin clones, and still have 17.3 million to spend on defense, goaltending, and silver polish for the Stanley Cup.
OH SNAP! That's the post of the day right there.

Skraut

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 12:37 PM
  #55
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I appologize if I came on too strong, but was insulted by the thread's title. The Blue Jackets are 8-3-2. They are playing meaningful games in November for the first time in franchise history.
You know I've been in your shoes, and I'm not sure there is any reason to apologize. As a fan, its only natural to gain some attachment to the team and the players, and when you have people coming to the fan forums and insulting and unfairly criticising your team/players, I don't feel its inappropriate to respond in kind.

If you post a reasonable thread supported by some numbers showing you researched things a little, then I think you'll find a mature conversation in response.
But if you post that player X is overpaid and underachieving and have no numbers to back up what your saying, then you're going to get a less than warm reception.

I feel this is the biggest problem with this board right now.

We are all armchair quarterbacks, to borrow a football term, but before asserting an opinion on a public forum its wise to do your homework.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 12:46 PM
  #56
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I got the play on words. Just seemed "a bit" harsh given that we've recently been asked to "play nicer" with each other. Not a premise, just a Rodney King moment. I do NOT like the OP's thread title or opinion. But he's a bit of a bomb thrower, and the thought of Modin's value has crossed my mind.
No need to play the mediator on this one. When you make a post like the OP, your bound to get reply's in kind. Don't tell me he didn't know what kind of responses he was going to get, it was pretty premeditated.

Moral: Don't mess with the bull, in this case Skraut, if your not prepared to get the horns....

The line that is usually is drawn with personal attacks. However, there is nothing wrong with some heated discussion.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 01:09 PM
  #57
AlienLanes82
Registered User
 
AlienLanes82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: South Africa
Posts: 667
vCash: 500
When Modin and Nash were together for that game, they were an absolute terror. I remember this one particular shift where they absolutely overwhelmed Visnovsky and his buddy behind the Kings' goal line, and kept the puck away from them for 30 seconds. I said to myself, "self, Nash and Modin are unstoppable together"

AlienLanes82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 01:35 PM
  #58
OnYourIgnoreList
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,258
vCash: 500
In an attempt to potentially salvage something useful and interesting from the thread and keep it from becoming so much needless clutter, an attempt at tangential conversational redirection:

While I completely disagree with the overarching sentiment in the OP, I agree that putting Freddy back on the line with Nash and Peca seems a little odd, given the way Rikki Nazh has been playing. Modin and Nash were getting a lot of chances, but I don't remember them converting on many. Hitch was quick to put the screws to Manny and Chimmer for not converting on their opportunities, and I think the same could and should be done to Nash and Freddy when they've been together. They cycle a lot and keep control of the puck, but it just doesn't seem to come to much in the end.

I think Nash-Peca-Zherdev works because you have the complementary skills Nash has always needed: Peca does a lot of grinding, dirty work and wins faceoffs, while Nikki has great puck control skills and is really starting to play the passing game. Put them together and you have a line that can dominate in front of the net, control the puck, dig it out of the corners, has dangerous puck skills one-on-one, keeps the puck under control and has increasing defensive prowess. The only reason, to my mind, that you took Nik off the line was because he could be a defensive liability and Modin was not. I don't think that's so much the case anymore since Zherdev has started putting more effort into the defensive side of his game.

I don't think Modin's skills enhance the line the way Nikki's do, and I also don't think it's coincidence that the line scores with Nik and hasn't so far with Freddy. By putting Nikki on the second line, you're putting a lot of passing skill there (Vybes being the other) and not a lot of pure goal scoring. Freddy would work well on a line with Vybes and make a very effective power forward, sort of Nash-lite.

I know the point has been made up-thread that Hitch may be thinking that putting Modin on the line will take some of the focus off Nash. I think that's a good argument, and all I'm offering is a counter-argument that if the lines are balanced in terms of skill, the team as a whole becomes harder to play. With Nash and Modin on the first, I have a concern that the team's big (I mean physically imposing) scorers are all in one spot and can be keyed on, where if you spread the styles and abilities across the lines for balance, it might create more match-up issues.

I like Freddy a lot, I'm just not of the opinion that he's a good fit on a line with Peca and Nash. Freddy definitively has a spot on the team, but I wish it weren't alongside Nash.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 01:52 PM
  #59
futurcorerock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 6,435
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Some of you guys were a bit harsh on ca51. If everyone with a hair-brained or off-beat opinion was told to leave this board, there'd be nobody left up here.

Can we win without Modin? Standings say yes.

Can we KEEP winning without him? Depth chart says probably no.

Is he potential trade bait? Logic says yes.

Could he become a big asset? Time will tell.
Well there goes my schtick

EDIT: Skraut is french for EPIC

futurcorerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 02:30 PM
  #60
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMthespoon View Post
In an attempt to potentially salvage something useful and interesting from the thread and keep it from becoming so much needless clutter, an attempt at tangential conversational redirection:

While I completely disagree with the overarching sentiment in the OP, I agree that putting Freddy back on the line with Nash and Peca seems a little odd, given the way Rikki Nazh has been playing. Modin and Nash were getting a lot of chances, but I don't remember them converting on many. Hitch was quick to put the screws to Manny and Chimmer for not converting on their opportunities, and I think the same could and should be done to Nash and Freddy when they've been together. They cycle a lot and keep control of the puck, but it just doesn't seem to come to much in the end.

I think Nash-Peca-Zherdev works because you have the complementary skills Nash has always needed: Peca does a lot of grinding, dirty work and wins faceoffs, while Nikki has great puck control skills and is really starting to play the passing game. Put them together and you have a line that can dominate in front of the net, control the puck, dig it out of the corners, has dangerous puck skills one-on-one, keeps the puck under control and has increasing defensive prowess. The only reason, to my mind, that you took Nik off the line was because he could be a defensive liability and Modin was not. I don't think that's so much the case anymore since Zherdev has started putting more effort into the defensive side of his game.

I don't think Modin's skills enhance the line the way Nikki's do, and I also don't think it's coincidence that the line scores with Nik and hasn't so far with Freddy. By putting Nikki on the second line, you're putting a lot of passing skill there (Vybes being the other) and not a lot of pure goal scoring. Freddy would work well on a line with Vybes and make a very effective power forward, sort of Nash-lite.

I know the point has been made up-thread that Hitch may be thinking that putting Modin on the line will take some of the focus off Nash. I think that's a good argument, and all I'm offering is a counter-argument that if the lines are balanced in terms of skill, the team as a whole becomes harder to play. With Nash and Modin on the first, I have a concern that the team's big (I mean physically imposing) scorers are all in one spot and can be keyed on, where if you spread the styles and abilities across the lines for balance, it might create more match-up issues.

I like Freddy a lot, I'm just not of the opinion that he's a good fit on a line with Peca and Nash. Freddy definitively has a spot on the team, but I wish it weren't alongside Nash.
An outstanding post. Truly.

To further this line of thought, didn't Vybes & F-Mo have something good going for a stretch last season?

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 02:33 PM
  #61
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse
 
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 12,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
An outstanding post. Truly.

To further this line of thought, didn't Vybes & F-Mo have something good going for a stretch last season?
It seems to me that Vybes and F-Mo work well with just about anyone, generally speaking. I think it is how they approach their games.

They play well with others.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 02:44 PM
  #62
WrightOn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ohio
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 4,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMthespoon View Post
In an attempt to potentially salvage something useful and interesting from the thread and keep it from becoming so much needless clutter, an attempt at tangential conversational redirection:

While I completely disagree with the overarching sentiment in the OP, I agree that putting Freddy back on the line with Nash and Peca seems a little odd, given the way Rikki Nazh has been playing. Modin and Nash were getting a lot of chances, but I don't remember them converting on many. Hitch was quick to put the screws to Manny and Chimmer for not converting on their opportunities, and I think the same could and should be done to Nash and Freddy when they've been together. They cycle a lot and keep control of the puck, but it just doesn't seem to come to much in the end.

I think Nash-Peca-Zherdev works because you have the complementary skills Nash has always needed: Peca does a lot of grinding, dirty work and wins faceoffs, while Nikki has great puck control skills and is really starting to play the passing game. Put them together and you have a line that can dominate in front of the net, control the puck, dig it out of the corners, has dangerous puck skills one-on-one, keeps the puck under control and has increasing defensive prowess. The only reason, to my mind, that you took Nik off the line was because he could be a defensive liability and Modin was not. I don't think that's so much the case anymore since Zherdev has started putting more effort into the defensive side of his game.

I don't think Modin's skills enhance the line the way Nikki's do, and I also don't think it's coincidence that the line scores with Nik and hasn't so far with Freddy. By putting Nikki on the second line, you're putting a lot of passing skill there (Vybes being the other) and not a lot of pure goal scoring. Freddy would work well on a line with Vybes and make a very effective power forward, sort of Nash-lite.

I know the point has been made up-thread that Hitch may be thinking that putting Modin on the line will take some of the focus off Nash. I think that's a good argument, and all I'm offering is a counter-argument that if the lines are balanced in terms of skill, the team as a whole becomes harder to play. With Nash and Modin on the first, I have a concern that the team's big (I mean physically imposing) scorers are all in one spot and can be keyed on, where if you spread the styles and abilities across the lines for balance, it might create more match-up issues.

I like Freddy a lot, I'm just not of the opinion that he's a good fit on a line with Peca and Nash. Freddy definitively has a spot on the team, but I wish it weren't alongside Nash.
Yes, very nice Spoon. Great points.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 02:56 PM
  #63
MaddMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 524
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post

Personally I'd go take Modin, shove him in the Xerox machine, make 11 copies, pay each 2.75mil, roll 4 lines of Modin clones, and still have 17.3 million to spend on defense, goaltending, and silver polish for the Stanley Cup.

Hahahaha!!!!

Best line I have read in a long time on any forum.


All I know is that I have been told by more than 1 NHL defenceman over the last 10 years that he is one of the strongest and hardest players to defend against in the corners and in front of the net. That's enough for me.

I do agree that he doesn't have to be written in stone as Nash's linemate, great points on both sides of the fence. But the team is much stronger with him on it, having the flexibility to add size and strength to another line or putting him with Nash to create a MegaWinger tandem.

MaddMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 03:02 PM
  #64
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
It seems to me that Vybes and F-Mo work well with just about anyone, generally speaking.
Then I think Hitch should play them with this 'just about anyone'. Exclusively.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 03:03 PM
  #65
Matt Foley*
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: you do... so well!
Country: United States
Posts: 3,912
vCash: 500
This thread just proves the theory that no matter how well things can be going, some people still need to have something to ***** about.

Matt Foley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 03:14 PM
  #66
OnYourIgnoreList
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
This thread just proves the theory that no matter how well things can be going, some people still need to have something to ***** about.
Define *****.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 03:20 PM
  #67
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
This thread just proves the theory that no matter how well things can be going, some people still need to have something to ***** about.
Yep, the Vyborny effect has spilled over to Modin it seems.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 03:22 PM
  #68
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Yep, the Vyborny effect has spilled over to Modin it seems.
All the more reason to play them together.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 03:33 PM
  #69
Mogilny89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 168
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
I'm definately not trying to rush Brassard into the NHL. Saying Modin was the best player last year isn't saying much. This is just my opinion, I have not missed a game since the Jackets started and I've played hockey for 27 years so I do consider my opinion to be somewhat educated. I don't judge this year solely on his value but I think his stats last year were inflated by meaningless goals and a bunch of goals near the end of the year, refresh my memory on some of the important goals he has scored, I'm open to having my opinion changed.
I think the problems this year with his back should have been addressed in training camp when it initially affected him. They shouldn't have rushed him back.

As far as Modin as a player, I think you are wrong to say his stats were inflated - they were actually off his previous season's marks, though he did score 20 goals for the 5th time in his 10 seasons. Last year was clearly a wash but if you saw him play you should have noticed his drive and competitiveness on a team that flat out didn't compete. I was personally impressed with his PK skills, though I was unimpressed with his ability to hit the net with his shots, or at least find holes the way natural goal-scorers seem to. He is a hard working utility guy who has above average skills and he finds success from the D-zone out. I don't know how you can say you don't want a guy like that on your team (not to assume that you are saying that).

Lastly, goals towards the end of the season were anything but meaningless. Sure the season was gone by november, but the fact that he was competing at a high level in the dying days of the season shows that he's a guy who will only benefit from the turn-around this season, and will be an asset to this team.

Mogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 03:36 PM
  #70
cbj21
Registered User
 
cbj21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Shampoo land
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,520
vCash: 500
This thread belongs in the dump, to call Modin no hitter, no effort and a waste just explains the poor level of hockey knowledge from the thread maker that can't have seen any Jacket games this season.
Get out of here already dumb ass!!

cbj21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 03:47 PM
  #71
Aging Goalie
 
Aging Goalie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Lima, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,625
vCash: 500
OK I think we could agree that for the most part everyone thinks Modin has his place on this team. I find it humorous that many of us that have been here for a while know that ca5150 is known for stirring the pot. I have no problem with it because in many cases it generates good discussion. What I find funny about this thread is that he has not even posted in this thread since post 13 and we have spent 2 pages since then arguing with each other saying basically the same things (agreeing with each other but not realizing it). I would venture to say ca5150 if your intent with this thread was to see if the fans on this board would unite under fire if their team, which is now winning, was bashed you have your answer; even if they didn't realize they did it.

Aging Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 04:02 PM
  #72
Paisano*
Jury is still out...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,384
vCash: 500
[quote=ca5150;11084533]Obviously the Shelley thing was tongue in cheek, though I do think Jody is an important part of the team, they are 3-0 with him in the lineup /quote]


Like HE has any thing to do with the wins!! What'd he play, 2 minutes each game?!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 04:51 PM
  #73
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJFan#1 View Post
I was thinking that myself. I've personally been wondering about the seemingly larger number of groin injuries this year. I can't tell if it's just that it's all the big names getting them, if more people are getting them, or what. I know the CBJ ice has not been of top notch quality this year, but that would only partially explain Nash and Modin, not the rest of the league.

The only universal change has been the uniforms, but I can't imagine that could have had anything to do with it.
I was talking to a trainer in the league and he was talking about how guys are wearing those tight under short things (sort of like biking shorts but tighter) and he thinks that those have contributed to increased groin injuries. When you wear something in support of an area, that area actually gets weaker, not stronger.

Another thing that has been discussed is the stiffness in the skate boot. There is no give in the boots of the skates anymore, therefore the impact travels up the leg to the weakest point--often the groin.

A couple of interesting theories anyway.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 05:03 PM
  #74
Pluckfur
Registered User
 
Pluckfur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 7,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
All the more reason to play them together.
ahh niiiiiiice. :chortle:

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 05:05 PM
  #75
hashmarks
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I appologize if I came on too strong, but was insulted by the thread's title. The Blue Jackets are 8-3-2. They are playing meaningful games in November for the first time in franchise history. I don't expect every thread to be all optimism all the time, but threads like this are just uncalled for. The Jackets are winning, they are doing it as a team, lets enjoy it for a change.

Personally I'd go take Modin, shove him in the Xerox machine, make 11 copies, pay each 2.75mil, roll 4 lines of Modin clones, and still have 17.3 million to spend on defense, goaltending, and silver polish for the Stanley Cup.
I don't think you came on too strong. You systematically went through and provided facts about why you disagreed with his post. It is one thing to not like a player, but it is another to have a completely inaccurate description of the player (like the thread starter did).

It is also ridiculous when a persons blind love for a player does not allow them to be objective about what is happening on the ice.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.