HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Modin is a wasted roster spot

Old
11-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Shelley#45

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post

Like HE has any thing to do with the wins!! What'd he play, 2 minutes each game?!

Shelley#45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Kfarschman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambion View Post
dood, you guy got

I love the Alien series. I want one of those!!

Kfarschman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 08:07 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca5150 View Post
I personally think that Modin has everyone snowballed. I cringed when they resigned him to 2.75 million. He is big but doesn't play big, he is slow, he doesn't hit anyone, he doesn't play in front of the net, he isn't a particularly gifted passer, he doesn't beat anyone one-on-one, he is constantly injured, most of his goals last year came towards the end of the year when people were taking nights off against us and resting players or making tee times. I can't honestly remember him scoring a big game tying or game winning goal. He doesn't play on the PK nor does he participate in shootouts. So what does he do well outside of the supposed amazing leadership in the room???? He isn't awful in our own end and puts in the 5th goal in 5-2 victories or the 2nd goal late in a 5-2 loss. I think he is overpaid and would like to see him go and let Brassard join the lineup. The Zherdev-Nash-Peca line is rocking and when I hear Hitch say how he wants to put Modin there in place of a red hot Zherdev, I just cringe. I would rather have Jody Shelley in the lineup because they both skate the same speed and at least Jody will hit and fight.
Poor guy...gettin KILLED arnt ya? Ouch. May want to pick on somebody who is actually bad...or not worth the money...like Fedorov

Wonder if ca5150 could be Dumb MacLean making a visit to our boards? Never know. Same mentality.

Oh yea...and you can have whatever opinion you want...but man...just let us lavish in these wins for a while. Lets try to be positive...there is a lot of good things to say right now. Save the bashing for the seasons we suck. See any posts pre Howsen/Hitch and you will see what im talking about.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 09:09 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-Lebowski View Post
... Lets try to be positive...there is a lot of good things to say right now. Save the bashing for the seasons we suck. See any posts pre Howsen/Hitch and you will see what im talking about.
And now here comes the Fedorov-love. Can't you feel it? It's on the way...
Winning and Children have a way of changing a man.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Matt Foley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMthespoon View Post
Define *****.
***** - "A she dog, or doggess; the most offensive appellation that can be given to an English woman, even more provoking than that of *****."

Matt Foley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 11:12 PM
ca5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aging Goalie View Post
OK I think we could agree that for the most part everyone thinks Modin has his place on this team. I find it humorous that many of us that have been here for a while know that ca5150 is known for stirring the pot. I have no problem with it because in many cases it generates good discussion. What I find funny about this thread is that he has not even posted in this thread since post 13 and we have spent 2 pages since then arguing with each other saying basically the same things (agreeing with each other but not realizing it). I would venture to say ca5150 if your intent with this thread was to see if the fans on this board would unite under fire if their team, which is now winning, was bashed you have your answer; even if they didn't realize they did it.
Thank you for recognizing what a message board is truly for, generating discussion. Perhaps it was a bit harsh to say he was a wasted roster spot but the thread would not have created the kind of discussion that I was looking for if I didn't make a "controversial statement." I agree with most that have pointed out his cycling and toughness on the puck, but I don't think his skills warrant a top line player at this point. 2nd or 3rd line at best. He seems to be very injury prone going back well into last year with his foot, groin, back, etc. I took a bit of offense to the thread about getting rid of Vyborny so my thread was in retaliation to that thread. To all that have questioned my hockey knowledge, I have played at every level through college and was a captain on most of my teams over 27 years. I haven't missed a Jackets game since their inception and I go so far as to burn every goal, hit, fight, save etc to dvd's for the past 3 seasons. So I believe I have analyzed their play more than most and I stand by my opinions. I welcome back a healthy Modin and at that point I will reconsider my opinions now that we have a more talented team. These boards are for opinions and it would be pretty damn boring if we all shared the same opinion.

ca5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 11:25 PM
darrmd

Quote:
Thank you for recognizing what a message board is truly for, generating discussion. Perhaps it was a bit harsh to say he was a wasted roster spot but the thread would not have created the kind of discussion that I was looking for if I didn't make a "controversial statement." I agree with most that have pointed out his cycling and toughness on the puck, but I don't think his skills warrant a top line player at this point. 2nd or 3rd line at best. He seems to be very injury prone going back well into last year with his foot, groin, back, etc. I took a bit of offense to the thread about getting rid of Vyborny so my thread was in retaliation to that thread. To all that have questioned my hockey knowledge, I have played at every level through college and was a captain on most of my teams over 27 years. I haven't missed a Jackets game since their inception and I go so far as to burn every goal, hit, fight, save etc to dvd's for the past 3 seasons. So I believe I have analyzed their play more than most and I stand by my opinions. I welcome back a healthy Modin and at that point I will reconsider my opinions now that we have a more talented team. These boards are for opinions and it would be pretty damn boring if we all shared the same opinion.
Great response CA but the foot thing you can't blame him, he did block a rocket on that one plus played through most of the season. That shows how hockey is played to these kids who are still learning you get hurt live with it and figure out how to handle it. Look at Foote, same mentality, pain don't hurt.

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 01:08 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Thank you for recognizing what a message board is truly for, generating discussion. Perhaps it was a bit harsh to say he was a wasted roster spot but the thread would not have created the kind of discussion that I was looking for if I didn't make a "controversial statement." ... These boards are for opinions and it would be pretty damn boring if we all shared the same opinion.
You did a good job at provoking discussion. Now get busy and get another "controversy" thread ready for the next lull between wins, erm ... i mean "games."

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 07:05 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

To me, it's kind of exciting to see the club off to a good start - and knowing that Vybes (whom the Dispatch referred to as 'a perennial slow starter') and Modin (bad rash of injuries) haven't really gotten their motors running yet.

leesmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 07:32 AM
AV50

Quote:
I personally think that Modin has everyone snowballed. I cringed when they resigned him to 2.75 million. He is big but doesn't play big, he is slow, he doesn't hit anyone, he doesn't play in front of the net, he isn't a particularly gifted passer, he doesn't beat anyone one-on-one, he is constantly injured, most of his goals last year came towards the end of the year when people were taking nights off against us and resting players or making tee times. I can't honestly remember him scoring a big game tying or game winning goal. He doesn't play on the PK nor does he participate in shootouts. So what does he do well outside of the supposed amazing leadership in the room???? He isn't awful in our own end and puts in the 5th goal in 5-2 victories or the 2nd goal late in a 5-2 loss. I think he is overpaid and would like to see him go and let Brassard join the lineup. The Zherdev-Nash-Peca line is rocking and when I hear Hitch say how he wants to put Modin there in place of a red hot Zherdev, I just cringe. I would rather have Jody Shelley in the lineup because they both skate the same speed and at least Jody will hit and fight.
I don't think even I would have said something like this. I too think Modin is a liability just because of injury, but he isn't a horrible, overpaid player. Brassard definitely deserves a look, but that is what we send Boll down for, not Modin.

AV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 07:55 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Fair enough, but your description of Modin was so opposite of what he is it seemed like it was deliberate. Modin likely shouldn't be a top line player, but on our team he is one of the best forwards so that is where he plays. It will be nice when we get deep enough to have him playing 2nd or even third line but we are not there yet.

The Vyborny thread is a very legit thread. He is in the last year of his contract, has not been playing well and is at the back end of his career. Plus, he hasn't been performing that well to date and to question whether or not he should stay beyond this year is pretty reasonable and expected.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 07:57 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV20 View Post
I don't think even I would have said something like this. I too think Modin is a liability just because of injury, but he isn't a horrible, overpaid player. Brassard definitely deserves a look, but that is what we send Boll down for, not Modin.
Now you are REALLY trying to start something aren't you?

When Boll is on the ice, everyone notices. GlennX? Not so much. He has been given a bit of a chance here and has done very little. He will be the one to be send down, not Boll.

Old
11-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Matt Foley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post

When Boll is on the ice, everyone notices. GlennX? Not so much. He has been given a bit of a chance here and has done very little. He will be the one to be send down, not Boll.
Agreed 100%. What Boll is good at is getting under the skin of the opposition - it gets them thinking about going after Boll for revenge vs. playing hockey against the Jackets. Most good teams have players who can get the opposition to focus on the wrong stuff, ie Jordin Tootoo, Ville Niemenin (sp?), etc. Hopefully Boll can continue to be that for us.

Matt Foley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 08:35 AM
MaddMan

Quote:
Thank you for recognizing what a message board is truly for, generating discussion...........

Good on you for starting some discussion but you can't just make stuff up as if it were fact.

"He is big but doesn't play big"....I have been told the opposite of that from a few Stanley Cup and Olympic gold medal winning defencemen.

"he is slow".....compared to who? I don't think he was signed to win the NHL skills fastest skating competition anyways.

"he doesn't hit anyone".....yes, he does. More than most CBJ forwards.

"he doesn't play in front of the net"....although that isn't true, you also don't know what Hitch's strategy is.

"he isn't a particularly gifted passer"....so he should just shoot then. He has one of the hardest slap shots in the league.

"he doesn't beat anyone one-on-one"....more than half the NHL forwards don't/can't nowadays.

"he is constantly injured"....no, he isn't.

Granted I wasn't the captain of most of the teams I have played for over the last 27 years though. But I can throw a pigskin a quarter of a mile.

MaddMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 08:45 AM
AV50

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post

You are right, I completely forgot about Curtis. He would be the first to go.

Although Fritsche and Brule have seen better days as well. But take Fritsche out of the speed line and that would hurt the chemistry there a lot.

AV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Perhaps it was a bit harsh to say he was a wasted roster spot but the thread would not have created the kind of discussion that I was looking for if I didn't make a "controversial statement."
The kind of discussion you were looking for was "The OP is a fool!"??

Old
11-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Nordique

*WARNING THIS THREAD CONTAINS STATISTICAL ANALYSIS*

Fedorov, Modin, and Vyborny are and will be top 6 forwards on this team for the duration of this season.

The way we roll 4 lines, I know its hard to even use that term "top 6 forward", but if you look at PP TOI, PK TOI, and total TOI, its clear that Hitch has confidence in Fed, and Vybs. Unforatunately Modin has been injured too much to gather much data on.

Nash leads the team in total TOI for forwards.

Vyborny leads the team in combined PP/PK TOI for forwards.

__________________________________________________ __

Top 6 Forwards by PP time on ice per game

1. Nash - 4:46
2. Fed - 4:37
3. Z - 4:16
4. Vy - 4:06
5. Nov - 3:26
6. Mod - 3:21

Top 6 Forwards by PK time on ice per game

1. Nov - 2:52
2. Vy - 2:45
3. Mal - 2:33
4. Peca - 2:32
5. Nash - 2:14
6. Chim - 1:55

Top 6 Forwards total time on ice per game

1. Nash - 20:04
2. Vy - 18:33
3. Z - 18:12
4. Peca - 17:24
5. Fed - 17:09
6. Chim - 16:13

If stats mean nothing to you and you would prefer to live in the world of baseless postulation and factless opinion, then ignore the above.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
baseless postulation
would be a great name for a band.

Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:06 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
would be a great name for a band.
sounds like a post punk 80's band you'd see at Bernie's or Stache's back in the day.

Old
11-07-2007, 09:21 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Thank you for recognizing what a message board is truly for, generating discussion. Perhaps it was a bit harsh to say he was a wasted roster spot but the thread would not have created the kind of discussion that I was looking for if I didn't make a "controversial statement." ..... These boards are for opinions and it would be pretty damn boring if we all shared the same opinion.
A good argument makes its own case. You don't have to tie it to a hand grenade to get it noticed.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
sounds like a post punk 80's band you'd see at Bernie's or Stache's back in the day.
Ahh, Stache's.

http://www.littlebrothers.com/

Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I've made it in there a few times, but my between my age and my children, I rarely get to be a kid again and have a good time. Not the like the good ole days when I rented a place 2 blocks from Staches, Dick's Den, and the Dube!!

Old
11-07-2007, 10:25 AM
PCH
Dangle.Snipe.Celly

I think the thread-starters inner fantasy owner is jumpin the gun a bit early on Mo...

PCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Byrral

Modin needs to get healthy. This team needs him on the ice.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 12:41 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV20 View Post
You are right, I completely forgot about Curtis. He would be the first to go.

Although Fritsche and Brule have seen better days as well. But take Fritsche out of the speed line and that would hurt the chemistry there a lot.
I don't really think Brule has seen better days in the NHL. I think he is just starting to play some good hockey. He was very good vs. St. Louis the other night and he is trending towards some really good hockey.

Fritsche, I see as a guy who could be used as trade bait. I think Brule could step in with those guys and do an equally good job. Although right now, I think Feds is really enjoying playing with Bru and things are starting to happen.

GlenX doesn't really do much to make anything happen out there.