HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rivet may not be very popular...

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2004, 05:09 AM
8b

vCash: 500
Rivet may not be very popular...

But what a smile he gave when he scored! I always like people who smile when they score (except for Gilmour!).

At least he got a very good game, lets hope he`ll do well until the end of the season...

Old
01-14-2004, 05:58 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8b
But what a smile he gave when he scored! I always like people who smile when they score (except for Gilmour!).

At least he got a very good game, lets hope he`ll do well until the end of the season...

Old
01-14-2004, 06:05 AM
BLONG7

So far this year Rivet has had some tough games, but recently he has played better and no one loves to be a Hab as much as this guy! Let's hope for a better second half from Craig and the boo birds will go quiet once again.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:06 AM
Darz

I've never questioned Rivet's heart or desire, and I think some of the reason behind his less than stellar season to date, is he is trying too hard to make positive things happen.

A player such as Rivet MUST keep his game simple. When he does he is a valuable member of the team albeit maybe an overpaid one.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:35 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Agree, agree, agree!! Last night was incredibly important for his confidence, though, as he logged over 25 minutes of ice time (second only to Sheldon's 28+), scored a rare goal (and was happy as can be!!), and was +4 on the night. He was rewarded with a well earned third star.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:38 AM
Habnot

Just goes to show you how stats sometime mislead. I still found that Rivet was by far the weakest d-man with the puck. Don't believe me, look at the tape and I'm sure you will see that in our end, Rivet made at least three terrible passes.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:49 AM
mcphee

Rivet and Brisebois got their contracts because of their age [impending fa's] and AS believing that he was offering market value. Well, AS overpaid. Do you think that Rivet and Brisebois both suffered from wanting to do too much ? I don't think either player was lazy or satisfied. I don't think it's in either of their characters. Funny how expectation has an effect on veteran players.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:23 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Rivet and Brisebois got their contracts because of their age [impending fa's] and AS believing that he was offering market value. Well, AS overpaid. Do you think that Rivet and Brisebois both suffered from wanting to do too much ? I don't think either player was lazy or satisfied. I don't think it's in either of their characters. Funny how expectation has an effect on veteran players.
Good point. This is a problem many overpaid players face: trying to prove they're worth their contract. It's happened countless times to players after they receive a big contract, and is a major reason why the Rangers struggle so much in my opinion. For example, Holik had his worst season last year since his Hartford days.

Rivet is drastically overpaid and was overrated up until this season. I don't think he's anything more than a solid #5 defenseman. It's unfortunate that he's more or less limited to a bottom pairing defenseman because I felt he had a lot more to offer earlier in his career. I think he's a prime example of how players can develop poorly when they're paired with subpar leaders and teammates, then are rushed to be depended upon as a key component to a defense.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:59 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I've never questioned Rivet's heart or desire, and I think some of the reason behind his less than stellar season to date, is he is trying too hard to make positive things happen.

A player such as Rivet MUST keep his game simple. When he does he is a valuable member of the team albeit maybe an overpaid one.
Agree, as long as Rivet is keeping is game simple and I mean really simple, he is OK. As soon as he think he is the second coming of Bobby Orr we are in trouble...

Old
01-14-2004, 08:55 AM
Joe Malone

Craig Rivet is often condemned or traded on this board. Posters say he is at best, a 5th or 6th d-man on any team, and should keep his game simple, or he should have his ice time reduced.

Well, last night he played more minutes than ever before, with more responsibility, as the 2nd d-man on the left side. He responded with one of his best games of the season. 3rd star on RDS, 2nd star as chosen by the Montreal Gazette. Maybe he should play more.

Rivet has always been paired with the most inexperienced d-man. From Markov last year, to Bouwmeester at the Worlds, to Boullion, and now he's with Komisarek. Not only with Komisarek, but on his opposite side to accomodate Komi. Why didn't Brisebois and Komi merely change sides? Maybe Patrice can't play the left side, and Quintal earlier in the year said he couldn't/wouldn't/didn't want to be on the left side.

Rivet has done everything asked of him, from playing forward, to being paired with rookies, to switching sides, and has played with injury. I bet his coach appreciates him for all that. Rivet loves to play for the Habs as much as we love to cheer them. He is the consummate team player. I guess people don't understand what that means.

Come that tough 1st round of the playoffs, I want Craig Rivet on my Habs team.

Old
01-14-2004, 09:00 AM
BigM1ke

Rivet is playing some good hockey in the last month... I don't know why people are still mad at him... But well.. it's montreal and people have to bash someone... and since Brisebois isn't the one chosen by the crowd, I guess Rivet is the damned one.

Old
01-14-2004, 09:13 AM
Bob Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke
Rivet is playing some good hockey in the last month... I don't know why people are still mad at him... But well.. it's montreal and people have to bash someone... and since Brisebois isn't the one chosen by the crowd, I guess Rivet is the damned one.
The Habs should give a 5mil contract to a no name to be the "Official Bash Guy" So everytime their something that don't work it will be is fault. Let name it for exemple purpose "Raoul", so agains the Ranger Theo get shell because all the dman were sleeping during the game, Claude Julien will say during is interview "Its Raoul fault, he was on the ice during the 18 goal of the Ranger and stay to long on the ice during the last PP. Its IS fault...", even if the guy did not set foot on the ice for the whole game.
This way every stupid media moron will say in their newspaper "Raoul cost us 18 goals. When Bob will start to do change?". Could be funny
Do you have any name for this position? I am pretty sure some guy in the semi pro will be ready to do so...

Old
01-14-2004, 09:23 AM
BigM1ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ********
The Habs should give a 5mil contract to a no name to be the "Official Bash Guy" So everytime their something that don't work it will be is fault. Let name it for exemple purpose "Raoul", so agains the Ranger Theo get shell because all the dman were sleeping during the game, Claude Julien will say during is interview "Its Raoul fault, he was on the ice during the 18 goal of the Ranger and stay to long on the ice during the last PP. Its IS fault...", even if the guy did not set foot on the ice for the whole game.
This way every stupid media moron will say in their newspaper "Raoul cost us 18 goals. When Bob will start to do change?". Could be funny
Do you have any name for this position? I am pretty sure some guy in the semi pro will be ready to do so...
For 5M$ I'll be Raoul

Old
01-14-2004, 09:58 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ********
Sounds like a job for Tibor.

I can hear Rivet now:
"If something goes wrong at the rink, blame the guy who can't speak English. Ah, Tibor, how many times have you saved my butt?

Old
01-14-2004, 11:29 AM
G Man 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malone
Rivet has always been paired with the most inexperienced d-man. From Markov last year, to Bouwmeester at the Worlds, to Boullion, and now he's with Komisarek.
When paired with Markov he was being paired with our BEST defenseman, you make it sound like it was some kind of "tough" assignment. In fact Markov, then Bouwmeester made his life a hell of a lot easier because they're good.

Now this year, with a struggling Markov, then Bouillon, there's been nobody to bail him out or make his life easier on D... plus he's struggling himself. That's how he went from our top pairing to our worst D in a year's time.

Quote:
Not only with Komisarek, but on his opposite side to accomodate Komi. Why didn't Brisebois and Komi merely change sides? Maybe Patrice can't play the left side, and Quintal earlier in the year said he couldn't/wouldn't/didn't want to be on the left side.
Komi has played left all the time... Rivet did it only once and that was yesterday.
Why? Because with Markov injured and Bouillon thrown out early, we had only Souray left on left side.
If you haven't noticed, Julien isn't crazy about playing Komi much... so that's why Rivet was switched to the left and become the #2 left D for one night.

It wasn't Quintal because he simply doesn't have the mobility to play on his bad side, and it wasn't Breezer because you don't switch your puck moving defensemen to their wrong side. Rivet misses most of his passes anyway, nothing to lose there.

Quote:
Rivet has done everything asked of him, from playing forward, to being paired with rookies, to switching sides, and has played with injury. I bet his coach appreciates him for all that. Rivet loves to play for the Habs as much as we love to cheer them. He is the consummate team player. I guess people don't understand what that means.

Come that tough 1st round of the playoffs, I want Craig Rivet on my Habs team.
What a load of BS... everything asked of him my ass.

Rivet was having a TERRIBLE season, Julien didn't even bench him once though he deserved it. The one thing he does do is ask Rivet to play forward ONCE, and Rivet does it... then WARNS us he doesn't want to do that again, *****es to the media about it at length after the game.

Paired with rookies?... in fact he's been paired with our best Ds, they just happened to be rookies. The only top D he hasn't played with is Souray... boo hoo.
While he played with Markov, Breezer & Quintal were stuck with Dykhuis or Traverse... who was making the sacrifice here? Gimme a break.

Switching sides? He did it ONCE, last night... because it was an emergency.

Playing with injury is the only thing that he truly deserves credit for, although how injured was he if he was well enough to play in the Worlds right after the year?
If it was that bad wouldn't he have wanted to rest his wrist?
Anyway.

I can't stand Rivet, but he can be an asset when he's playing well... which this year hasn't been the case until the last few games.
Hopefully he turns it around in the 2nd half.

As for wanting him with us in the playoffs, Souray-Quintal was our key pairing the last time we made the playoffs... and Rivet was as bad as it gets and started the implosion in the final Carolina game.

Old
01-14-2004, 05:11 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Man 77
When paired with Markov he was being paired with our BEST defenseman, you make it sound like it was some kind of "tough" assignment. In fact Markov, then Bouwmeester made his life a hell of a lot easier because they're good.

Now this year, with a struggling Markov, then Bouillon, there's been nobody to bail him out or make his life easier on D... plus he's struggling himself. That's how he went from our top pairing to our worst D in a year's time.

Komi has played left all the time... Rivet did it only once and that was yesterday.
Why? Because with Markov injured and Bouillon thrown out early, we had only Souray left on left side.
If you haven't noticed, Julien isn't crazy about playing Komi much... so that's why Rivet was switched to the left and become the #2 left D for one night.

It wasn't Quintal because he simply doesn't have the mobility to play on his bad side, and it wasn't Breezer because you don't switch your puck moving defensemen to their wrong side. Rivet misses most of his passes anyway, nothing to lose there.

Rivet was having a TERRIBLE season, Julien didn't even bench him once though he deserved it. The one thing he does do is ask Rivet to play forward ONCE, and Rivet does it... then WARNS us he doesn't want to do that again, *****es to the media about it at length after the game.

Paired with rookies?... in fact he's been paired with our best Ds, they just happened to be rookies. The only top D he hasn't played with is Souray... boo hoo.
While he played with Markov, Breezer & Quintal were stuck with Dykhuis or Traverse... who was making the sacrifice here? Gimme a break.

Playing with injury is the only thing that he truly deserves credit for, although how injured was he if he was well enough to play in the Worlds right after the year?
If it was that bad wouldn't he have wanted to rest his wrist?
Anyway.

I can't stand Rivet, but he can be an asset when he's playing well... which this year hasn't been the case until the last few games.
Hopefully he turns it around in the 2nd half.

As for wanting him with us in the playoffs, Souray-Quintal was our key pairing the last time we made the playoffs... and Rivet was as bad as it gets and started the implosion in the final Carolina game.
Someone's cranky... only on the Habs board can a player like Rivet score a goal and go +4 and people still berate him.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Joe Malone

Quote:

Rivet was paired with Markov at the very beginning of last year, before Markov was considered our BEST defenseman. Last year was Markov's breakout season, and Rivet was considered by some to be part of the reason why. Is it a tough assignment? What's easier, being paired with a seasoned veteran, or an inexperienced novice? Markov and JBo are talented but were inexperienced. It's common practice for NHL coaches to pair green dman with solid people.

Quote:
Komi has played left all the time... Rivet did it only once and that was yesterday. Why? Because with Markov injured and Bouillon thrown out early, we had only Souray left on left side. If you haven't noticed, Julien isn't crazy about playing Komi much... so that's why Rivet was switched to the left and become the #2 left D for one night.

Rivet played the left side for the 3rd period against the Pens, against St Louis, and again tonight vs the Thrashers. (Except when penalty-killing.) I suspect it will continue as long as Markov is out. Quintal publicly stated last fall that he wanted no part of playing the left side. Brisebois is no more our puck moving defenseman this year than anyone else is. Patrice is playing a simple basic game and being lauded for it.

Quote:

What a load of BS? What has Rivet refused to do?

So Julien didn't bench him even though you say he deserved it? If he deserved it, Julien definitely would have benched him. Julien has proven himself to be that type of coach. And yes, Rivet said he didn't want to play forward again; he didn't even want to do it the first time. What defenseman ever wants to play forward? But he did play forward when asked.

Breezer was paired with Dykhuis because for two years they were a very dependable duo. Why Quintal and Rivet were paired with the dmen they ended up with is the coaches feeling on who compliments who. Boo hoo yourself about Rivet not playing with Souray....I didn't complain about that.

As I said earlier, Rivet has switched sides for more than one game, more than the emergency situation you're describing.

Quote:
Playing with injury is the only thing that he truly deserves credit for, although how injured was he if he was well enough to play in the Worlds right after the year? If it was that bad wouldn't he have wanted to rest his wrist?
Anyway.

I can't stand Rivet, but he can be an asset when he's playing well... which this year hasn't been the case until the last few games. Hopefully he turns it around in the 2nd half.
In December of 2002 Rivet travelled to see a specialist for his wrist, and was told it would improve with time. The injury was in an area with limited blood flow; the very blood flow so essential for complete healing. So four months later he played in the Worlds, after competing in all 82 games for the Habs in 02/03. You want to hold it against him, go ahead. But don't you think the team doctors had a say? In whether or not he could play the regular season, and the Worlds? Do you think the wrist could have improved in those 4 months?

You can't stand Rivet? I can see that. It's the basis for your tirade.

Rivet has turned things around, but he's still the whipping boy of choice. He began playing better during the road trip out west last November. (Just like the entire team did.) So often on this board I read he's hopeless because he has the worst plus-minus on the team. He was -9 for so long, trade him was/is the call. For those who like the +/- stat, consider this: Rivet was -1 from Nov 18th up until 2 games ago (A span of 26 games.) In the last two games (on the left side) he's +6.

Quote:
Yeah I want him in the playoffs. I don't care if he's part of the key pairing or not. He's tough, and a team player. He will make mistakes, but he won't quit, and he'll stand up for his teammates. As for Rivet starting the implosion against Carolina....care to elaborate on that?

Closed Thread