HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to Beat Defenseman?

Old
10-29-2007, 01:30 PM
tisting9

vCash: 500
How to Beat Defenseman?

What are some good tricks or moves on how to beat defenseman, like in 1 on 1s, 1 on 2s, and 2 on 2s?

tisting9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Roy G Biv*

1 on 1:
Skate backwards with puck, at full speed towards the defenseman. Protect the puck. He'll have to stop and try to stand you up before you guys reach the crease. When he does this, he'll commit to one side. Roll off him and shoot on net. Be sure to make suggestive comments the whole time.

1 on 2:
Skate between them while yelling "I got him" in each D-man's voice, which you should have perfected beforehand.

2 on 2:
Have your player skate directly infront of you, almost right above your stick. He should set picks and cause mayhem. Drop a smoke bomb, go wide, and cut in on the goalie and roof it 5-hole.

My hockey DVD should be out just in time for the holidays.

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post
1 on 1:
Skate backwards with puck, at full speed towards the defenseman. Protect the puck. He'll have to stop and try to stand you up before you guys reach the crease. When he does this, he'll commit to one side. Roll off him and shoot on net. Be sure to make suggestive comments the whole time.

1 on 2:
Skate between them while yelling "I got him" in each D-man's voice, which you should have perfected beforehand.

2 on 2:
Have your player skate directly infront of you, almost right above your stick. He should set picks and cause mayhem. Drop a smoke bomb, go wide, and cut in on the goalie and roof it 5-hole.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 02:20 PM
lotus

Quote:
2 on 2:
bahah

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 04:30 PM
We'reGonnaWin*

Hahahah. 5 Stars.

Someone should REALLY make a YouTube parady of all those Skinner, Stamm hockey skill videos.

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 05:07 PM
greekdrummer

Send a message via AIM to greekdrummer
roof it 5 hole

greekdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 06:51 PM
vancityluongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbKw3oAWgl8

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 06:55 PM
spoon*

Quote:
1 on 1:

Quote:
1 on 2:

Quote:
2 on 2:

you're a gem

spoon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 08:03 PM
windflare

Quote:
1 on 1:

1 on 2:

2 on 2:

LMAO

windflare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Quote:
1 on 1:

1 on 2:

2 on 2:

How much?

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Talent Analyst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdea48p3yF0

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2007, 09:34 PM
welcomebackwinnipeg

Go wide, always keep your feet moving. If you have good hands, then it's a little different.

I know this contradicts what I just said, but sometimes if the defender is good, changing your speed is a good idea so that you can catch him flat footed. It's sort of hard to explain it through the keyboard.

welcomebackwinnipeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 12:24 AM
McNasty

Change of speed is what I was going to suggest, if you have decent hands when you change speeds if he committs to the outside then slide it between the front of his skates and his stick and go to the slot.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 01:44 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Change of speed is what I was going to suggest, if you have decent hands when you change speeds if he committs to the outside then slide it between the front of his skates and his stick and go to the slot.
This one slays people. Drive wide...on your OFF wing..and then tuck it under his stick...this enables you to arrive in the slot on your forehand...very easy money.

Everest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 02:05 AM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
1 on 1:

1 on 2:

2 on 2:

I'd buy your DVD, dude.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 07:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Go to Hockeyshot.com, they have a free video on the subject.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 07:59 AM
ThatOneGuy*

No idea how to explain it but its the "deke" I have had the most success with. I shoot left, so I basically approach the defenseman straight on, I sell that I am going to deke to the left but I extend my stick to the right and sweep the puck behind/around his back and go by him. Its all about timing, everything you'll get the puck by him but the key is actually catching the puck and continuing on.

ThatOneGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 02:22 PM
jaywills1020

look at the d-mans feet or overall stance. is he leaning or turning too much to one side? your first option can be to throw a fake to the side hes leaning to and cut the other way assuming you have a little speed to use. try opening his legs and getting a shot off using him as a screen. head fakes, shoulder fakes, etc should also help you.

jaywills1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Nosebleed Section

I just try and tow drag or chip it past him any way so he cant poke the puck away then skate around his body. Sounds simple because it is it isn't going to work all the time but you just need to keep moving past him.

Nosebleed Section is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2007, 01:36 PM
94now

Best advise for the beginner - use the boards. Try to flip the puck so it hits the board 2' above ice or so. This way it will deflect behind the defender's back where you can pick it up after skating around him.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2007, 03:39 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

if your a good skater, fake going twords the inside, then head twords the outside with a change of speed and protect the puck. works everytime for me.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Being ridiculously creative always helps

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 07:00 PM
LongIslandHockey36

Alright im surprised no one has mentioned this, I see it in the NHL all the time. Move into the offensive zone dump and chase, its simple and it works.

However, it works better if you have a team mate going on the other side.

However, it does make you bait by the boards so.. be prepared

LongIslandHockey36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
Head fakes are my favorite.

If you are a fast skater, you don't even need to deke. Just bank it off the boards or put it through the legs.

Also, if you're playing full contact and you think you are heavier/have more momentum than the defender, literally skate right into him. Ovechkin is the only one I've seen pull it off in the NHL, but the surprise factor is such that in amateur leagues I think it could work.

Biscuit Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit Bullet View Post
Also, if you're playing full contact and you think you are heavier/have more momentum than the defender, literally skate right into him. Ovechkin is the only one I've seen pull it off in the NHL, but the surprise factor is such that in amateur leagues I think it could work.
Easier said than done. If you're close enough to make contact with the D-man, he's probably already stick-checked you.

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote