HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Renney: Likes and Dislikes

Old
11-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Bretzky*

vCash: 500
Tom Renney: Likes and Dislikes

Like:
  • Defensive system is strong and he's got everyone, including Jagr to buy into it.
  • He's not afraid to play the kids in crucial situations.
  • He's realizing that Tyutin and Girardi are the best pair and giving them more ice time.

Dislike:
  • He gives Orr and Hollweg ice time they don't earn. Since they aren't offensive players, they earn ice time by energetic forechecking, hitting, fighting. Yet, Renney gave Orr 10 minutes of ice time (more than Betts) against the Islanders and he didn't fight or hit once. He just chased the Islanders around in our own zone. The love affair with Orr has to stop.
  • I see no signs of any offensive gameplan / system. Our speed is constantly stifled by having to stop at the enemy blue-line because Jagr, Gomez, Roszival, Hossa, etc all try to force plays in the neutral zone / at the enemy blue-line. Renney needs to get these guys to dump the puck in so we don't have to negate all our speed through the neutral zone.
  • He's using Drury on the point on the powerplay. Drury BELONGS in front of the net. Drury is good at any position, and thus he's good at the point, but he's GREAT in front of the net and that's where he needs to be. Rozsival, Staal, Girardi, Tyutin, Mara can all play the point on the PP. Let them do it.
  • He won't bench veterans if they don't show up. This can be good and bad, but I'd really like a coach with some balls when someone like Gomez is playing this poorly. Something's gotta change or Gomez is gonna go pointless for the next 70 games.

I'm interested to hear how the rest of you feel about the coach / coaching staff at this point, and what specific aspects you like and dislike.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 10:18 PM
NYRGirardi5

dislikes:
he changes the lines way too often
he refuses to realize that hossa is terrible, and there is no need to dress both hossa and orr every night
he puts the 4th line on the ice with 5 minutes left and the rangers down by a goal.

there are lots of things that i like, but i cant think of them right now.

NYRGirardi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

ive got only 1 negative with Tom, but i think its a big one.

He does things that don't make sense. Its a broad phrase, but its spot on when describing what frustrates me the most about this guy.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
He's stubborn. He buys into his own ideas far too much and think it shows perseverance to not admit a mistake and continue going with something that isn't working, hoping that it will turn around and he'll look like a genius.

See Malik, Hossa, Orr, Strudwick

Although he can only work with what he's got, especially with these injuries, he makes some illogical decisions when it comes to showing loyalty towards giving a player repeated chances. Yet kids like Prucha & Dawes are seemingly in his doghouse more than not.

Also his incessant use of the words "prudent" and "pro-active"

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I like that he kept this team's focus during a tough start to the season, and has them committed to a team first mentality that has helped them go 5-2 in the last 7 games. It's not his fault the big guns aren't scoring.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 10:32 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
Like:
  • Defensive system is strong and he's got everyone, including Jagr to buy into it.
  • He's not afraid to play the kids in crucial situations.
  • He's realizing that Tyutin and Girardi are the best pair and giving them more ice time.

Dislike:
  • He gives Orr and Hollweg ice time they don't earn. Since they aren't offensive players, they earn ice time by energetic forechecking, hitting, fighting. Yet, Renney gave Orr 10 minutes of ice time (more than Betts) against the Islanders and he didn't fight or hit once. He just chased the Islanders around in our own zone. The love affair with Orr has to stop.
  • I see no signs of any offensive gameplan / system. Our speed is constantly stifled by having to stop at the enemy blue-line because Jagr, Gomez, Roszival, Hossa, etc all try to force plays in the neutral zone / at the enemy blue-line. Renney needs to get these guys to dump the puck in so we don't have to negate all our speed through the neutral zone.
  • He's using Drury on the point on the powerplay. Drury BELONGS in front of the net. Drury is good at any position, and thus he's good at the point, but he's GREAT in front of the net and that's where he needs to be. Rozsival, Staal, Girardi, Tyutin, Mara can all play the point on the PP. Let them do it.
  • He won't bench veterans if they don't show up. This can be good and bad, but I'd really like a coach with some balls when someone like Gomez is playing this poorly. Something's gotta change or Gomez is gonna go pointless for the next 70 games.

I'm interested to hear how the rest of you feel about the coach / coaching staff at this point, and what specific aspects you like and dislike.
they don't get much as it is, Orr getting 10 without a fight is absurd, but other than that I'm fine with the time they get. Betts should get more than Orr thou.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
they don't get much as it is, Orr getting 10 without a fight is absurd, but other than that I'm fine with the time they get. Betts should get more than Orr thou.
Maybe it's not necessarily the amount of ice time as much as it's the situations he plays them in. Tonight was FAR from the first time he's rolled regular shifts for Orr and Hollweg late in the third period of a game we're trailing by one or tied. They haven't made glaring mistakes to cost us goals yet in those situations, (although a lot of that rests on Henrik anyway), but if Renney is so obsessed with being "pro-active" then why are we trying to survive (which is all the 4th line does) rather than putting out our big guns or mixing things up and putting out a line of Drury Dubinsky Jagr late in games or actually doubleshifting the players who have looked the best so far during the game. When the game's on the line, Renney shouldn't be managing the same approach that he does at the beginning of a game. Like one poster already said, he believes in his methods too much sometimes and doesn't make the necessary adjustments DURING games.

Old
11-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Tight game, offensive zone face-off, fourth line goes out.

I don't like his constantly changing line combinations and the powerplay also.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 01:36 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
Like:[*]He gives Orr and Hollweg ice time they don't earn. Since they aren't offensive players, they earn ice time by energetic forechecking, hitting, fighting. Yet, Renney gave Orr 10 minutes of ice time (more than Betts) against the Islanders and he didn't fight or hit once. He just chased the Islanders around in our own zone. The love affair with Orr has to stop.
Not sure why you are complaining about this. The guy is averaging about 6:30 per game for the season. You are basing his overuse off of one game, where they are coming off a game the night before, and because he played about 40 more seconds then Betts?

Not fighting, well I guess you can complain about that, but he tied for the lead in hits, wasn't on the ice for any goals against, didn't make any huge errors or make giveaways, and provided a fresh body, especially considering most of our high ice-time players are older.

I understand a lot of complaints people have about Renney, but playing a 4th line guy about a minute more than you think he should, should be far at the bottom of the list.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 01:57 AM
viventi

i like renney's suits

i dislike some of renney's coaching choices (aka, lines)

viventi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 02:27 AM
adrenochrome5

renney line choices

I honestly havent been a hockey fan for so long. Just since the 94 cup win so call me whatever you want. I'm only 26 and have watch a sh-tload of hockey and ill tell you one thing. Renney is not helping our chemistry. Too much line juggling and he has to tell gomez to stop freakin skating into half the defense and passing to nothing or to a teamate who is defended by 3 forwards. Yeah hes got great speed but hes showing me that he has the creativity of a 3 year old and no idea where to put the puck. Please do not let that contract go to waste or get rid of the coach. Also, tell Jagr to shoot way more. I dont give a crap whos in front of him, his deciptiveness will confuse most goalies into giving up a bad rebound. Screw this defensive minded crap because it takes too much energy and leads to bad transition hockey. It will only last so long and fail against elite teams like the Sens who have plenty of raw speed. Also, Lundqvist rules, and DiPietro is not as good, although I'm happy our country(USA) has a decent goalie since good ol' richter. ALL HAIL THE KING!!!!!! yeah im drunk boys...

adrenochrome5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 02:28 AM
hawks35

Lets review here:

We go about 7 years without making the playoffs. Then after the lockout Renney inherits a team that every magazine in the country ranked dead last or second to last. He then takes that team to the playoffs.

Then the next year he gets the team to the second round of the playoffs sweeping the thrashers in the first round and playing a very competetive second round series against an excellent sabres team.

Yep, Renney is the problem and should be fired.

hawks35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 02:31 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks35 View Post
Lets review here:

We go about 7 years without making the playoffs. Then after the lockout Renney inherits a team that every magazine in the country ranked dead last or second to last. He then takes that team to the playoffs.

Then the next year he gets the team to the second round of the playoffs sweeping the thrashers in the first round and playing a very competetive second round series against an excellent sabres team.

Wait, we lost one game, of course its Renneys fault.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 02:41 AM
adrenochrome5

Think about it though

He does switch lines too much but yeah if they have a bad away record I guess its cause Lundqvist cant make 95 percent of the saves...I guess they just need to score more...you cant get offensive chemistry if you keep changing lines!!! Look at the goalies home/away record this season...hes always had a good difference home/away like kipper on the flames but seriously they need to start scoring instead of looking for perfect chances...I cant even bear to watch anymore after they scored on because it has to be some amazing play for them to win or come back...Look at the roster...Renney needs to be a hard ass on the leaders and get them to screen goalies and get some sloppy goals...this is the problem with players from Europe!!! What happened to the Prucha from 2 seasons ago...he reminded me of our own tomas holmstrom but not hes like a sniper whos not using all of his talents...and believe me he can be a 30 plus goal scorer, hes just shying from the contact...ok time to pass out, latas

Old
11-07-2007, 02:53 AM
adrenochrome5

Ending on a positive note...

Although I think hes not 100 percent, my respect for Jagr went through the roof after he lost what looked like 4 teeth and he stayed in the game. I've seen this guy in person and figured hes just a big brute from Europe whos really a big ***** but now I think hes one tough muthaf-er...guy looks like he could bench a caddy in street clothes!!! Maybe Shanny taught him a thing or 2? Anyways, I'll leave you Ranger fans with this nugget of info...2 of 3 isles fans wear the latest fashions from kmart...oh yeah and have to curse out 15 year old Ranger fans to earn themselves some dignity...HENRIK!!!

Old
11-07-2007, 04:40 AM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Not sure why you are complaining about this. The guy is averaging about 6:30 per game for the season. You are basing his overuse off of one game, where they are coming off a game the night before, and because he played about 40 more seconds then Betts?

Not fighting, well I guess you can complain about that, but he tied for the lead in hits, wasn't on the ice for any goals against, didn't make any huge errors or make giveaways, and provided a fresh body, especially considering most of our high ice-time players are older.

I understand a lot of complaints people have about Renney, but playing a 4th line guy about a minute more than you think he should, should be far at the bottom of the list.
I guess you didn't read my last post. Scroll up 2 from your post that I just quoted.

Old
11-07-2007, 04:41 AM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Lets review here:

Yea it was definitely Renney, and not Jagr's first full year here (a monster year) and not Lundqvist. Renney swept the Atlanta Thrashers. It wasn't the Rangers.

Old
11-07-2007, 04:44 AM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Lets review here:

I also don't think anyone said for Renney to be fired. This is a discussion. You can comment on what you like or dislike about Renney, but don't just state the obvious recent accomplishments of the team and lay all the credit to Renney to support your opinion.

By your logic, any good team must be good because of who their coach is. Get real.

Old
11-07-2007, 05:03 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Wait, we lost one game, of course its Renneys fault.
You took the words out of my mouth

Some of these people can't chew gum and walk at the same time....

This situation is the opposite of Joe Torre's situation.With Torre,it was Joe received all of the credit when the Yankees won and no blame when they lost.With Renney,it's the Rangers are winning in spite of him but he receives the blame when they lose

Renney gets no credit for anything.This organization couldn't get out of their own for years until Renney and his staff came on scene

These are some people who are quick to praise another NY coaches such as Eric Mangini.I was saving this-post #27

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...mangini&page=2

Mangini has been a total disaster in his 2nd season.1-8.Tannenbaum has been worse

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 05:54 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoZ View Post
Tight game, offensive zone face-off, fourth line goes out.

I don't like his constantly changing line combinations and the powerplay also.
He doesn't always do that, and I think the 10 minutes the 4th line got was the product of a 2nd game in two nights.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 07:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
So with Malik out Renney is now the whipping boy. Got it.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 08:13 AM
orland

Great Coach

Renney is an outstanding coach; as good as anyone in our conference. We are very lucky to have him.

The criticism about rolling out the 4th line last night is ridiculous. The team was gassed as it was and getting dominated shift after shift. Making the 3 lines play more would only make it worse.

orland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 08:20 AM
bathgate

Generally, he has done a good job. However, two issues. First,I'm not happy with the power play. Have someone create traffic in front. Shanny does not deserve power play time if he is not in front creating traffic. Prucha will stand in front and deflect shots. Second, I don't like his utter disdain for matching lines. He is too arrogant to modify his thinking. At home keep Jagr away from Madden and Pandolfo. Keep Jagr away from Witt when playing the Isles at home. Finally, when Straka and Callahan come back, let's see if he'll bench Hollweg and Orr

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Fletch

It is one loss...

of course, the loss highlighted some deficiencies in this team's game since day 1, and that's offense, and their ability to take advantage and open up leads to secure wins. Of course we can also say that sloppy play, turnovers, etc. led to the loss, but of course there are many ways to look at things. And if you can't blame Renney for a lack of offense, you probably can't credit him if the offense turns around. If you credit him for defense, then you have to blame him when the defense falters. And so on.

But to play the game of the title, which would be my assessment based on his 2+ years year and not a knee-jerk reaction to yesterday:

Likes: I like how he recognizes the deficiencies of the team and what needs to be done to correct them.

Dislikes: his inability, more often than not, to actually correct what he knows is a problem, which includes personnel and style.

Example: he once thought the PP didn't have enough traffic in front, point shots, etc., and I think we all agreed. His solution: status quo because Jagr didn't think there was a problem with the PP. I liked that he recognized the problem and knew the solution to that problem. Didn't like that he didn't follow-through on it.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
of course, the loss highlighted some deficiencies in this team's game since day 1, and that's offense, and their ability to take advantage and open up leads to secure wins. Of course we can also say that sloppy play, turnovers, etc. led to the loss, but of course there are many ways to look at things. And if you can't blame Renney for a lack of offense, you probably can't credit him if the offense turns around. If you credit him for defense, then you have to blame him when the defense falters. And so on.

But to play the game of the title, which would be my assessment based on his 2+ years year and not a knee-jerk reaction to yesterday:

Likes: I like how he recognizes the deficiencies of the team and what needs to be done to correct them.

Dislikes: his inability, more often than not, to actually correct what he knows is a problem, which includes personnel and style.

Example: he once thought the PP didn't have enough traffic in front, point shots, etc., and I think we all agreed. His solution: status quo because Jagr didn't think there was a problem with the PP. I liked that he recognized the problem and knew the solution to that problem. Didn't like that he didn't follow-through on it.
Yeah, Renney tends to ride the horse until it's dead and drawing flies, and even then he's smacking it in the rump, wondering where its giddy-up went.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote