HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rostislav Klesla

Old
11-07-2007, 03:06 PM
wildone26*

vCash: 500
Rostislav Klesla

What kind of a year do you feel Klesla is having so far? He seems to be playing pretty well, but somehow I just get this sense his play is a bit down from last year. Anyone else feel the same way?

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 03:11 PM
WrightOn

No.

I think he has been doing his job, and well. So many players to give the 'most improved' badge to makes Rusty seem a bit overlooked imo.

I feel like we will get a better sense of what kind of Rusty we have on our hands in this second 10 game segment. I do notice him playing with more control, less reckless, and with less hitting than last year. I happen to think the hitting will be back soon.

I want to see some more offense from him too. He has a big shot.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Doug61*

I don't notice when he's on the ice EVER this year. That's good and bad. The good part is, is that he's probably tied for our 2nd best dman with foot as fat as pure defense that bad is that he isn't shooting like he should. He probably has the potential to be a good goal scoring dman in this league.

Doug61* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 03:55 PM
jktsfan*

In my opinion, he started out a little bit invisible at the beginning of the year (i.e. pre-season) but in the last few games, I have seen some improvement - I think the influx of Pecca, Boll, and Russel have made him less visible but I've been wrong before - and I'm sure if I am this time, one of you will let me know

jktsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 04:16 PM
wildone26*

I agree that some players are showing such obvious improvement it setting a higher standards for the others. I still think he is a top 4 defenceman on this team though.

Old
11-07-2007, 05:25 PM
beba91

I find that he's very underrated this year. He's playing exceptionally well. He makes very smart defensive plays. The only thing that's a downgrade from last year IMO is that he's not hitting as much.

beba91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26 View Post
What kind of a year do you feel Klesla is having so far? He seems to be playing pretty well, but somehow I just get this sense his play is a bit down from last year. Anyone else feel the same way?
He has been playing a solid defensive game, and anecdotal ("too lazy to check the stats") evidence suggests his minor penalties are down. However, Klesla has shown flashes of being a dominant defenseman--where he makes himself noticeable on a given night through his hard hits, his takeaways, his breakout passes, and his contributions to offensive situations. When he plays big and nasty, you know he's going to have a good night. But his nastiness, to me, has always looked forced: he's a big teddy bear. He's a freakin' hotel owner, for crying out loud.

In any case, he's been showing those flashes over the past few seasons, but not so much this season. I'm not ready to give up on him taking himself to the "next level," but I am beginning to suspect that he doesn't have the desire to do so....He just seems to want to be a solid, not-overly-noticed defenseman. There's nothing wrong with that, to be sure, but could he be better? Yes. I've seen it.

I do hope no one takes this as a "OMIGOD COMPLAIN ABOUT ANYTHING" post.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 06:23 PM
hashmarks

He has been fairly unnoticeable, which for a defenseman, is a good thing.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
I don't mean to nitpick, but that is a cliche that is a bit overused and should only apply--and, even then, shakily--to defensive defensemen.

Outstanding defensemen are noticeable. You notice Pronger when he's on the ice: hell, lately, I've noticed Foote when he's on the ice. Outstanding players, be they forwards or not, make themselves noticeable by being...outstanding.

My opinion is that Klesla, upping his play, could become an outstanding defensemen and be very noticeable on the ice--defensively or offensively.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 06:50 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
I don't mean to nitpick, but that is a cliche that is a bit overused and should only apply--and, even then, shakily--to defensive defensemen.
Which is pretty much what Klesla is.

He hasn't been outstanding. He has been good. Not bad. Not great. Just solid. What I have noticed is that he isn't taking near as many penalties as he did last year. He hasn't been outstanding, which is what I initially stated. Fairly unnoticeable and solid. Foote has been really, really good these past 4/5 games. Rusty? Just good--unnoticeable.

He has a heavy shot, but he struggles to hit the net or get it through.

Quote:
My opinion is that Klesla, upping his play, could become an outstanding defensemen and be very noticeable on the ice--defensively or offensively.
Maybe he could, but as of now, he is a decent defensive defenseman. Until he figures out how to get his shot through, he won't be much on the offensive side of things. He doesn't move the puck well enough to be considered an offensive type d man either. Can he be more? Sure, why not, but I thought the guy was asking about what his season has been like to this point.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 10:19 PM
wildone26*

Even though it was a dissapointing game for the team tonight Klesla had a pretty good game.

Old
11-14-2007, 10:03 PM
wildone26*

Tonight he had the most ice time of any player. He still didnt look to be playing that well though. He is definitely not up to his best at the moment.

Old
11-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Tonight he had the most ice time of any player. He still didnt look to be playing that well though. He is definitely not up to his best at the moment.
He makes to many mistakes for a veteran..... Problem is he is a key to our season, he must improve his play.....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 10:37 PM
wildone26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
He makes to many mistakes for a veteran..... Problem is he is a key to our season, he must improve his play.....
I agree. What do you think is wrong with him?

Old
11-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
I agree. What do you think is wrong with him?
Lack of concentration....... I think he is a tinge to comfortable with his status and free Jacket pass based on first pick history.... He needs a good ole scolding of some sort... I'd scratch him one night; he needs to understand he is not irreplaceable.....

Old
11-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Lack of concentration....... I think he is a tinge to comfortable with his status and free Jacket pass based on first pick history.... He needs a good ole scolding of some sort... I'd scratch him one night; he needs to understand he is not irreplaceable.....
It is highly unlikely that Rusty needs a "scolding." Rusty is doing just fine under Hitch's tutelage. Let's not forget that before Hitch there was no "defense," no "system", and no structure of support or learning provided for our young players and certainly not for Rusty. He was thrown onto the ice and everyone just hoped for the best. Defensemen are notoriously long in development and you can expect that Klesla's development has been retarded up until now do to a lack of proper conditioning and coaching.

Back up off the child and let him learn.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
The weather has been fairly unremarkable, which for weather, is a good thing.

Old
11-14-2007, 11:44 PM
MFRONE

He's been average IMO which isn't bad, but I do think he could probably be in line for a defensive pairing change because he and Hainsey have seemed to be on completely different pages in the d-zone the last few games.

MFRONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 01:37 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

When Rusty was tussling it up with a BlackHawk tonight in front of us, I started yelling "Not the Face!"

He played well tonight...which is to say "he didn't screw up" ...which is a good thing to say about a dman.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 01:14 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
When Rusty was tussling it up with a BlackHawk tonight in front of us, I started yelling "Not the Face!"

He played well tonight...which is to say "he didn't screw up" ...which is a good thing to say about a dman.
He had a good game last night.......which is what we need from him on a consistent basis...

Old
11-15-2007, 01:32 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
It is highly unlikely that Rusty needs a "scolding." Rusty is doing just fine under Hitch's tutelage. Let's not forget that before Hitch there was no "defense," no "system", and no structure of support or learning provided for our young players and certainly not for Rusty. He was thrown onto the ice and everyone just hoped for the best. Defensemen are notoriously long in development and you can expect that Klesla's development has been retarded up until now do to a lack of proper conditioning and coaching.

Back up off the child and let him learn.
yeah, well, I'm not down on Rusty. I'm not disappointed with his play. But it's utter garbage to make excuses for someone that's been in the league for as many years as Rusty has. If he's sucking, I'm going to come down hard on him. As well as Vybes, Feds, Chimera, Malhotra, Brule, Boll, Nash... Pick a name (young and old). I'm tired of making excuses for people and watching bad play.

In Rusty's case, he's been playing pretty good over the last 2 years. Don't give me any of that garbarge about he's young or groomed by idiots. He knows what he needs to do. No free passes for him. He doesn't deserve special treatment and he would be the first to tell you that to your face...

Have a nice day...

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 01:39 PM
wildone26*

I think he has the potential to become the teams best overall defenceman. He plays very well 5-on-5 and can be matched with different partners well, although less so so far this year, and is the only defenceman who plays both the PP and PK with some regularity on the whole team. He is very good on the PK, but I wish he would improve on the PP since I think he is capable of it.

Old
11-15-2007, 01:40 PM
pipe dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
yeah, well, I'm not down on Rusty. I'm not disappointed with his play. But it's utter garbage to make excuses for someone that's been in the league for as many years as Rusty has. If he's sucking, I'm going to come down hard on him. As well as Vybes, Feds, Chimera, Malhotra, Brule, Boll, Nash... Pick a name (young and old). I'm tired of making excuses for people and watching bad play.

In Rusty's case, he's been playing pretty good over the last 2 years. Don't give me any of that garbarge about he's young or groomed by idiots. He knows what he needs to do. No free passes for him. He doesn't deserve special treatment and he would be the first to tell you that to your face...

Have a nice day...
perfect
thank you!!

pipe dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

Have a nice day...
Ha. Look blah, you aren't the coach, you aren't the GM ... heck, you aren't even Michael Arace... what offends you, what knots your shorts, or what outside opinions you approve of - mean nothing to anyone but you. I suggest you allow people to have their own opinions without throwing a three-year-old-esque inspired hissyfit.

It is CLEAR to me that Rusty is STILL learning and still struggling to put it together some nights. I listed some reasons I believe this "growth" is still apparent and needed with Klesla - and I wasn't making any excuses for anyone, just saying that of all the things Klesla might need, a scolding isn't one of them.

You have a nice day too. Or not.

Old
11-15-2007, 11:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
Ha. Look blah, you aren't the coach, you aren't the GM ... heck, you aren't even Michael Arace... what offends you, what knots your shorts, or what outside opinions you approve of - mean nothing to anyone but you. I suggest you allow people to have their own opinions without throwing a three-year-old-esque inspired hissyfit.

It is CLEAR to me that Rusty is STILL learning and still struggling to put it together some nights. I listed some reasons I believe this "growth" is still apparent and needed with Klesla - and I wasn't making any excuses for anyone, just saying that of all the things Klesla might need, a scolding isn't one of them.

You have a nice day too. Or not.
Actually that wasn't a hissy.....

If you want to give Rusty a free ride, so be it. I, personally, find it insane that you constantly find excuses for why all these people aren't performing (or you just flat choose to ignore they aren't performing) to their capabilities, instead of placing the blame where it belongs. On the players.

Rusty's performance hasn't been bad, he's certainly one of our better performers. He has had plenty of time under Hitch's system and he's been one of our better defenders for years now. And, yes, he would be the first to tell you that. He's not going to give excuses and he likely not going to want you to give him any.

You are entitled to your opinion, doesn't mean that I can't strongly disagree with you. Everyone that posts has had their opinions shot down, you and I are no different....

So back to my original point. As of the beginning of this year, I am not buying into all this garbage about the past and how it affected this team. These guys admitted they have have never been more prepared for games then they are now and they admitted the system works. It's time for them to execute or find a job on another team. If you find that a hissy, it's not.. It's what Hitch talked about before. The bar has been raised, my expectations are higher. Get on board, it's better then accepting mediocrity.

Slap on some teflon skin. When you make a woe-is-me, I was abused by previous management speach, I'm going to strongly disagree with you every time...

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote