HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal: Hossa to Boston (around the deadline.) Like to hear some Thrasher options.

Old
11-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Safir*

vCash: 500
Proposal: Hossa to Boston (around the deadline.) Like to hear some Thrasher options.

I found a Hossa thread on the Bruins board* and decided to compile a proposal for Hossa. I'd like you have some feedback from you guys. BTW, that doesn't mean I'm willing to give up the season. Making proposal is just for the fun & have something else to talk about.

*= http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...8#post11108498

Getting Patrice Bergeron in exchange for Hoss would a dream scenario for the Thrashers. Given, who much your GM has given up for Fernandez, it's possible (not likely though) that he'll do it again.

Hossa is one the best right wingers in the entire National Hockey League. He alone can carry a line, if necessary. MH never really had the chance to play together with guys like Savard (never played 5 on 5 with him in ATL, only on the PP, Savard was with Kovy) or Bergeron. Instead his centers were: Bonk, Belanger, Slater, Stefan. Hossa made the first two look halfway decent.

I believe that he'd feel comfortable in Boston, especially with the ex-Senators (incl. the former Sens Assistant GM) around. Plus, he enjoys to play in hockey crazy city. Somehting that Atlanta simply isn't. Hossa expressed the desire to play for team that has a bright future and a chance to play for the Cup. Boston with Hossa has a shot, IMO. He's also mentioned that he'd be willing to consider a cheaper contact, if giving the opportunity to play for a contender. *Hello*

The Slovak is in the final year of his contract, which pays him six million USD.

Since, the Thrashers are not getting Bergeron for Hossa, they will be turning their attention to Phil Kessel. Kessel is player, who will be able to replace Hossa in the Thrasher lineup and he will eventually come close to scoring Hossa like numbers in a couple of years. The fact that Kessel is American makes the deal even sweeter, because the Thrashers have relied on more talented European born players for the most part of their franchise history.

I guess that the Bruins will have to dump a contract in order to make for Hossa this season & for the seasons to come. Don Waddell or the new Thrashers GM will have to bite the bullet and accept Glenn Murray in return. In order to do so the Bruins have to pony up something valueable in exchange.

The actually proposal:

To Boston:
- Marian Hossa

To Atlanta:
- Phil Kessel
- Glenn Murray
- alternatively Boston's 1st rounder in 2008 or David Krejci & a third rounder (maybe a bit too much. I'm willing to drop the last point, if it's an absolute no go for Boston.)

Safir* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Enstrom39

You're welcome to start these threads but I don't really see that point. The Thrashers are 6-3 and there is no indication that the team is even trying to deal Hossa. If he is traded it will only be because Atlanta is out of the playoff race and they have just climbed their way back up the standings. Why not focus on some of the exciting games we've seen lately?

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 05:18 PM
samsdad

Bruins fan here....no way we trade Kessel...especially since Hossa is a UFA after the year.

You guys may be able to get picks/prospects (and help us out by taking Murray), but I dont see the Bs (or anyone else) giving up their best for a UFA.

Bs do have a potential log jam at center (Hamill,Krejci,Sobotka,Soderberg) so maybe 1 and a pick, and a throw in mid level D prospect....buts thats all Im offering UNLESS I get a contract extension signed before the trade....then ya get nore, but still not Kessel

samsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 05:21 PM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Yeah, no way they give up Kessel even for Hossa. Taking on Glen Murray doesn't work no matter what the trade is because he's useless without a top notch center.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Safir*

Overall, the Thrashers are 6-9-0, Falconer. I mentioned in the post that I'm not willing to give up on the season. Yes, I like the resurgence and I'm happy about the lastest results.

IMO, Hossa will net a high return, if he's traded at the deadline. Kessel or Bergeron are the only players that interested Atlanta. I wouldn't deal him to the Bruins, if I don't get them.

Old
11-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Zikky

As i said in the bruins board, i'm not sure that the bruins would be in the playoffs at the deadline, so we may be out of the contest before it's start.

Also, in the previous deadline deals, no team gave major roster players like Bergeron or Kessel. A good comparaison can be the Forsberg and Smyth deals. They got 2 bigs prospects + a 1st rounder. That what the Thrasher will likely get if they decide to trade Hossa.

For the bruins i could see hamill + lashoff + a 1st, but i doubt the bruins are in a position to go for the cup, even with Hossa, so i doubt they will give that much.

Zikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 06:23 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikky View Post
As i said in the bruins board, i'm not sure that the bruins would be in the playoffs at the deadline, so we may be out of the contest before it's start.

Also, in the previous deadline deals, no team gave major roster players like Bergeron or Kessel. A good comparaison can be the Forsberg and Smyth deals. They got 2 bigs prospects + a 1st rounder. That what the Thrasher will likely get if they decide to trade Hossa.

For the bruins i could see hamill + lashoff + a 1st, but i doubt the bruins are in a position to go for the cup, even with Hossa, so i doubt they will give that much.
the only difference was Forsberg was at the end of his career and smyth is nowheres near the talant hossa is. these two comparaison are bad . hossa's value is so much more then these two.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 06:54 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Käptäin Kärppä View Post
I found a Hossa thread on the Bruins board* and decided to compile a proposal for Hossa. I'd like you have some feedback from you guys. BTW, that doesn't mean I'm willing to give up the season. Making proposal is just for the fun & have something else to talk about.

Getting Patrice Bergeron in exchange for Hoss would a dream scenario for the Thrashers. Given, who much your GM has given up for Fernandez, it's possible (not likely though) that he'll do it again.

Hossa is one the best right wingers in the entire National Hockey League. He alone can carry a line, if necessary. MH never really had the chance to play together with guys like Savard (never played 5 on 5 with him in ATL, only on the PP, Savard was with Kovy) or Bergeron. Instead his centers were: Bonk, Belanger, Slater, Stefan. Hossa made the first two look halfway decent.

I believe that he'd feel comfortable in Boston, especially with the ex-Senators (incl. the former Sens Assistant GM) around. Plus, he enjoys to play in hockey crazy city. Somehting that Atlanta simply isn't. Hossa expressed the desire to play for team that has a bright future and a chance to play for the Cup. Boston with Hossa has a shot, IMO. He's also mentioned that he'd be willing to consider a cheaper contact, if giving the opportunity to play for a contender. *Hello*

The Slovak is in the final year of his contract, which pays him six million USD.

Since, the Thrashers are not getting Bergeron for Hossa, they will be turning their attention to Phil Kessel. Kessel is player, who will be able to replace Hossa in the Thrasher lineup and he will eventually come close to scoring Hossa like numbers in a couple of years. The fact that Kessel is American makes the deal even sweeter, because the Thrashers have relied on more talented European born players for the most part of their franchise history.

I guess that the Bruins will have to dump a contract in order to make for Hossa this season & for the seasons to come. Don Waddell or the new Thrashers GM will have to bite the bullet and accept Glenn Murray in return. In order to do so the Bruins have to pony up something valueable in exchange.

The actually proposal:

To Boston:
- Marian Hossa

To Atlanta:
- Phil Kessel
- Glenn Murray
- alternatively Boston's 1st rounder in 2008 or David Krejci & a third rounder (maybe a bit too much. I'm willing to drop the last point, if it's an absolute no go for Boston.)
I'm sure that's the first thing on Waddell's mind, lol...

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Magnus Fulgur

It doesn't matter how good the return is, trading Hossa to a mid-level Eastern team is a no-win situation. It doesn't make us better than our direct competition.

I really think Hossa is going to resign based on his more recent comments. He says he wants the deal done, and he's changed agents.

If Hossa does go, it will be out West.

Thanks to the play of Pavelec, Enstrom, Little, and Holik's impending salary drop, there is money for a raise for Hossa. DW would be better off letting Lehtonen rot if it allowed him to pay Hossa.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 09:43 AM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Käptäin Kärppä View Post

The actually proposal:

To Boston:
- Marian Hossa

To Atlanta:
- Phil Kessel
- Glenn Murray
If we end up trading Hossa, we better get a center or a d-man in the deal. We can't keep trading assets for non-critical components of this team.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 10:54 AM
jbreiner

This is just me thinking but if we could afford it and assuming Hossa won't sign with us but may be willing to sign with B town, how about Hossa for Chara straight up? Again feel free to rip, I haven't really looked at it in terms of value or anything. It just popped in my head.

jbreiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreiner View Post
This is just me thinking but if we could afford it and assuming Hossa won't sign with us but may be willing to sign with B town, how about Hossa for Chara straight up? Again feel free to rip, I haven't really looked at it in terms of value or anything. It just popped in my head.
Chara is overrated. Product of the environment.

Boognish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 11:13 AM
ATLien

I don't think talking about trading Hossa is necessarily tanking on the season. The object is to win the Stanley Cup, and we are a loooonnnnng shot to come out of the east much less win the Cup. I'm not being defeatist here at all, just being realistic. So the question that must be answered is: "Will dealing Hossa help or hurt our ability to compete for the Cup in the short and long term?"

I do not claim to know the answer but I think if you have the chance to add a young talent like Kessel to your roster, you have to give it serious consideration. Especially when considering that his salary would give you the opportunity to upgrade your defense.

I would also seriously consider and Hossa trade in which we could include Holik as a salary dump. Not many teams, especially this one, can afford to pay $4.5mil to a 3rd line center.

ATLien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 11:26 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

I don't view trading Hossa as giving up on the season either but with the teams improved play, there is no way Waddell will send him off.

Holik's contract is up at the end of the year anyway so I don't see his salary being a huge negative anymore. He probably won't be brought back and if he is, it'll be at a much lower salary.

Agree with Boognish that Chara is overrated and if we are going to pay that much money to one player, it may as well be Hossa.

Old
11-09-2007, 11:39 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Chara is a beast, we would need to throw something very nice in with Hossa to get him.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 11:48 AM
ATLien

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivethinman View Post
I don't view trading Hossa as giving up on the season either but with the teams improved play, there is no way Waddell will send him off.
Hossa has been a nonfactor in the teams turn around. Its not about sending Hossa off its about asset management; if the opportunity to improve our team comes up involving a Hossa deal DW damned well better at least listen. Hossa is one of, if not my favorite player, but I'm not married to him maybe his relationship with the Thrashers has run its course.

Quote:
Holik's contract is up at the end of the year anyway so I don't see his salary being a huge negative anymore. He probably won't be brought back and if he is, it'll be at a much lower salary.
Thank sweet baby jesus! I thought he had two more years.

Quote:
Agree with Boognish that Chara is overrated and if we are going to pay that much money to one player, it may as well be Hossa.
I would reserve that kind of money for a player that elevates the level of play of those on the ice with him. Hossa was one last year, and certainly could be again given the right circumstances. Chara is not.

Old
11-09-2007, 11:58 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLien View Post
Hossa has been a nonfactor in the teams turn around. Its not about sending Hossa off its about asset management; if the opportunity to improve our team comes up involving a Hossa deal DW damned well better at least listen. Hossa is one of, if not my favorite player, but I'm not married to him maybe his relationship with the Thrashers has run its course.

I agree but DW usually doesn't operate in that fashion. He doesn't make a trade unless he has to and sometimes not even then.

Old
11-09-2007, 11:58 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Look at our D now. Do you think we are going to get a #1 D for $4 or $5 million a year? Hell, that is going rate for over the hill guys like Foote, or a guy like Willie Mitchell.

Chara would be heads and shoulders(in size and in talent) over any defenseman the Thrashers have EVER had in their entire history. He is like a talented, tougher Andy Sutton.

If we can get him, we should.

Old
11-09-2007, 12:04 PM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Look at our D now. Do you think we are going to get a #1 D for $4 or $5 million a year? Hell, that is going rate for over the hill guys like Foote, or a guy like Willie Mitchell.

Chara would be heads and shoulders(in size and in talent) over any defenseman the Thrashers have EVER had in their entire history. He is like a talented, tougher Andy Sutton.

If we can get him, we should.
I agree about the money thing, it costs close to the max to have an elite guy. I don't see Chara very often but I've never been sold on him. People rave about his physicality and fighting but I haven't been impressed in that category. There aren't that many elite Dmen in the league so if you have the opportunity to nab one, I guess you do it. But I'm a doubter that one guy is going to magically make our defense great.

Old
11-09-2007, 12:07 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

When you have one guy that is taking 30 minutes of ice time a night, it makes it much easier to have a guy like McCarthy to get 7 minutes of ice time a night.

Look at Anahiem. They had Pronger and Niedermeyer last year, so they could afford to have a borderline NHLer like Joe DiPenta in the starting lineup.

Old
11-09-2007, 12:09 PM
ATLien

Quote:
I agree about the money thing, it costs close to the max to have an elite guy. I don't see Chara very often but I've never been sold on him. People rave about his physicality and fighting but I haven't been impressed in that category. There aren't that many elite Dmen in the league so if you have the opportunity to nab one, I guess you do it. But I'm a doubter that one guy is going to magically make our defense great.
They'd certainly make the jump to mediocre. He's their captain, and the cornerstone of Chiarelli's plan, no way the B's let him go.

Old
11-09-2007, 12:19 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Hey, I just said we should get Chara if we could. I do not see him going anywhere, especially when the B's seem to be close to turning the corner this year.

BTW, speaking of trades...might want to check out the Rangers prospects/Wolf Pack thread, page 26 or 27, our friend Alex Bourret has already found himself in the coach's doghouse(again). I would not bother commenting in that thread....but the next time someone starts talking about how DW got swindled at the deadline and brings up Bourret???

Old
11-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Safir*

Quote:
I wouldn't call Chara an elite Dman, but he's without a doubt a #1 Dman. "Z" wasn't as effective in the postseason, as he was in the regular reason. Elite players are constantly performing well over the years.

Atlanta never had any defenceman, who come close to Chara is terms of size and ability to play. Talking about Chara is a moot point, because Boston will not trade him.

Old
11-09-2007, 12:33 PM
bit82

Send a message via AIM to bit82
This would be an easy way for the Bruins not to pay Kessel in a few years when he is a superstar haha like this franchise has done as of late. But joking aside, they're not going to trade Kessel. Waddell would and should take this trade if it did become available, but it is not very realistic.

bit82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 12:47 PM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post

BTW, speaking of trades...might want to check out the Rangers prospects/Wolf Pack thread, page 26 or 27, our friend Alex Bourret has already found himself in the coach's doghouse(again). I would not bother commenting in that thread....but the next time someone starts talking about how DW got swindled at the deadline and brings up Bourret???
Good find. I don't think we got robbed with that trade but still think we could have gotten Dupuis for a lot less.

How do you end up a minus player when everyone on your line is a plus?