11-07-2007, 07:07 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

vCash: 500
Scott Mellanby is Passive-Aggressive

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sp...hers_1108.html

Looks like he's pissed...

Quote:
"Brad McCrimmon should be the coach of this hockey team. He deserves it. He's the main reason this team has turned it around right now," Mellanby said. "Brad is the guy the team is looking to as the leader."

"I gave myself to this organization. I was willing to work for peanuts, next to nothing, to stay in the game. I was placated by several different people, saying, 'We'd love to have you.' I was never even called after I left here. All I hear about is this organization has no money, yet [coach and general manager] Don [Waddell] and [former coach] Bob [Hartley] have contract extensions. ... If you don't want me, I'm fine. I'm a big boy. But don't wine and dine me and turn your back on me. My fear is that Brad McCrimmon is going to get that same treatment and he doesn't deserve that. He deserves to be the coach of this hockey team."
Waddell sees things slightly differently...

Quote:
Waddell acknowledged discussing a post-retirement position with Mellanby but said Mellanby's choice to live in St. Louis made it hard to fulfill the requirements of the position Waddell envisioned. Mellanby is working as a part-time television analyst for Hockey Night in Canada.

"Him and I had lots of conversations about what he wanted to do and what we needed him to do. Living in St. Louis defeats the purpose. He made a decision and I understand that and respect that," Waddell said.

He's also not surprised that Mellanby would support McCrimmon, noting their close friendship.

"You talk to my best friend and I should get a 10-year contract," he said.
He even made Bruce Levenson mad...

Quote:
Atlanta Spirit co-owner Bruce Levenson refutes any claims that finances are an issue in any personnel decision concerning the Thrashers. He also declined to comment on Waddell's contract.

"Finances have not played a role in the past; they didn't play a role in our decision with regard to Bob [Hartley] both in terms of extending him and not retaining him," Levenson said. "We understand in this market we have to win to establish a broader fan base and, frankly, to retain the fans we have who have been very patient over the years."

Ladies and Gentlemen, Scott Mellanby is gone. And has a big mouth.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 08:41 PM
ExplosiveLEAFman

I don't have a problem with anything he says but didn't he just stop by practice yesterday? Maybe he was expecting a job offer then? If you aren't happy with the organization then cut ties with them.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 10:52 PM

vCash: 522
To me, this only highlights the leadership problems we have had on this team...

#37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Lux Aurumque*

*Sigh*

I was secretly hoping he'd be offered the job of head coach.

I guess not.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 06:07 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

If he was a true captain he would have told Hartley to take him off the PP last year, when he was obviously hurting this team by missing on chances.

Honestly, didn't he have to be begged to come back for 1 more year? And didn't he take a very long time to make that decision?

And to correct the record, wasn't Hartley on the last year of his deal? I don't recall any contract extension for him.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 06:19 AM
ExplosiveLEAFman

Not sure with Hartley but I think I remember Waddell saying he was signed through next season when he fired him.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 06:54 AM
Tartan Jack

On Hartley, my UNDERSTANDING is that his original contract was to have ended at the end of last season and he go a 2 year contract extension over the summer. ASG is obligated to pay him, UNLESS he is hired elsewhere.

PLEASE correct me, if I am wrong.

Tartan Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 07:22 AM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
What a whiner. Its not like hes Steve Yzerman or Ron Francis.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 07:53 AM
Enstrom39

"Work for peanuts"? didn't he make close to $1 million with incentives his last year? That's almost as bad as Modano complaining about not being able to feed his dog during the lockout.

He comes off sounding like a major whiner, "I want a job and I want to live in another city" --that might work if he was willing to spend 100 nights a year scouting but somehow I doubt that is the case. If you're going to be an assistant GM you need to live next to th team.

Enstrom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 08:10 AM
trekronor

Captain Rat, spinning the story again. I agree that if you're pissed at an organization, just move on. Don't whine to the papers about it when you were unwilling to live in Atlanta.

trekronor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Juneemoon

Makes you wonder what kind of job he thought he was going to do from St. Louis that the Thrashers should have hired him for.

Strange way to lobby for McCrimmon to get the head coaching job, by trashing the organization in the press.

Juneemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 10:22 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Extremely random off topic question. You guys have TVs above the urinals in the Philips center right? I've been there a few times and thought you did. Above the bathroom stalls on the ceilings too right?

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Fravashis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
What a whiner. Its not like hes Steve Yzerman or Ron Francis.
This may qualify for the biggest "No ****!" statement ever!

Fravashis is offline   Reply With Quote