HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andy Murray on AM 710

Closed Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 07:03 PM
LuckyLUC20

vCash: 500
Andy Murray on AM 710

this is what I have:

Andy Murray on AM 710

what's keeping you sane?
great group of guys to work with, Dave Taylor has done a great job of assembling young talent. with all the obstacles we face still hanging in there with the balance of players we have.

keeping guys motivated and season going...
play remaining games, either win or feel lousy afterwards if you don't compete and put everything you have in it. We have fans that expect the team to work hard every night

Deadmarsh?
Adam's a great competitor, we miss him in lineup. Severe head injury. Deader feels positive, is working, hopefully uses this time to recover. Obvious question mark. Don't know if we'll see him this year, but we'd like to see him again.

Type of players we lose are the high end offensive players, Miller is missed on blue line. We miss every player not in lineup. Have to plug in guys in there and keep playing, expect them to get the job done.

Assess the overall play of this team:
He like our battle, play hard, physical. Tough to play against. Not most skilled team in the league. Our team battles every night. We are getting ties and points from that winless streak. Solid goal tending gives chance to win.

Gratifying to still be in the playoff picture. 5 or 6 games this year where we've had big leads but have tied or lost. Need to continue to battle and work hard to get those points.

Puck night, Lappy's 2 goals:
Great for Lappy last night. First goal, great to see the expression on his face, he was very elated, he works really hard. Fans in LA identify with him. 7 shots on net, could've had 3 or 4 last night.

Cechmanek:
He's a guy that competes hard, unusual style. Beginning of the year was inconsistent. Last seven or eightl games, he's been outstanding. We're only going to go as far as our goaltender takes us. At times we'd like to tie him to the net because he likes to wander... playoffs concern: we had a tough year last year with injuries and didn't get into playoffs. Last year couldn't get in with goaltending, Cechmanek can get us in... he gives us an opportunity.

Brady Murray:
Feels proud for Brady. Brady played for US and won gold. Liked Brady's answer to is he a Canadian or American, "I'm a North American"... most of his years spent developing in US. It was a tough decision for him... but he made his choice. Kings draft pick, has a chance in the NHL. Having good freshman year at North Dakota. Performed well at the summer camps. Has potential, needs to hurry up and get a contract so his dad can retire.

Lost over 500 man-games last year, this year it is going to be higher:
You'd like to look at one thing and say you can do something differently, can't pin point. This year, broken bones, concussions... etc. Unfortunate situations. Team plays hard physical style, play physical to be successful. Misfortune... Figures we're going through this right now, we'll probably be rewarded in the future.

Why no retribution for hit on Visnovsky:
Depends on the players you have in lineup. Close hockey game last night, Josh Green is not that type of player. You can go after him, but he doesn't know what message that would send. Calgary didn't dress their tough guys. It was a terrible hit, cheap shot on Vish. Referee has to deal with it. Guys are going to take those shots, but you need to make sure your team plays hard against the other team's skilled players as well. He's got a cervical strain, stiff neck. We're getting him treated, questionable for tomorrow night.

Best team so far:
Colorado Avalanche, Philadelphia Flyers are an exceptional team. number of teams are great: Red Wings, Canucks, etc.

Miller:
Just started skating, not sure when he'll be back. Still doesn't have all the strength in his arms just yet.

Brown:
Could play this weekend... progressed rapidly.

youth:
Grebeshkov: getting over broken bone. Would've seen him in the lineup, but he's been injured. Kings think an awful lot of him. Only got to play one exhibition game. He's hoping to play in Manchester in the last couple weeks. He can come to play for the Kings, but it depends on how the guys are playing in our lineup.
Aulin: still long term injury recovery. Don't know if we'll see him this year
Gleason, Frolov, and Brown: we knew Frolov would be confident and become consistent, Gleason: has a chance to stay here... a little up and down for him, it's a lot tougher for him to stay in LA because defenseman is tough position in NHL. Dustin Brown: was really coming on when he got injured.

Things you could change in NHL:
Goalies can come out of net, make goals inch higher, 2 inches wider allow more offense.

Media in Los Angeles:
You coach with the personality you have, and you deal with the media with the personality you have. Be open and honest, keep dialogue open to the media. Our responsibility to deal with the media and help sell the game any way you can. When team plays well, you can expect they'll treat you well. If not playing well, expect them to come after you.

Tenure as Kings coach, how do you keep message fresh?:
Great personalities you have to deal with... Fortunate to have great people around him. Have good people and leaders on team. Loves what he does. No matter if we lost the night before, Likes to come to the rink energized and enthused. Feels fortunate to coach LA Kings. Never takes that for granted. He expects the team to be energized. Wants to instill in the players that it is a privilege and responsibility. Privilege to be an athlete, hockey player and one of those responsibilities is to play hard... reminds players about that all the time. A lot of good people with the Kings.

Norstrom:
Grabbed Matty after the game last night and talked to him, the last 6 or 7 games, he's been unbelievable, probably the best hockey he's played. Plays 30 minutes a night, plays physical every time, never takes a shift off, never takes a practice off, doesn't say a lot, but when he does, everybody listens to him. Leadership by example is great. Definitely our all-star candidate for LA.

Jason Allison:
One of the best centermen in the NHL. No riff between Jason and Andy. It was depicted the wrong way. We need him in the lineup. Much more valuable to us on the ice. Medical reports said if he's over his symptoms and feeling better, he can play.

Holding a lead:
One of the things that's been a problem, is we've sat back. We need to be assertive and play in offensive end. Hopes we're over that problem.

Friend called him:
Called to Congratulate on the season so far, congrats to Brady.
Asked about Frolov's play on Aitken after Aitken KO'd Tripp: great goal, great move by Frolov. John Tripp got one punch by Aitken there... John Tripp knocked him out last time in AHL.

Joe and Doug asked the friend what's different about Murray now that he has money: Murray hasn't changed a bit. He was coached by Murray when he was a younger guy.

keeping lines same way:
Would love to do that, as long as we're having success and everybody stays healthy. Don't want to change units as long as we don't have to. Line consistency has been a problem because of all the injuries. If we could do that, teams must have success. Looking to do that whenever we can.

Palffy, Allison and Deadmarsh contracts?
We Should ask Dave. The way Ziggy's played this year, played hard, high profile player... Player we need. Is sure Dave will get something done and will talk to representatives for Ally and Deader. We'd like to get something done with Allison and Deadmarsh because when healthy they can really help the hockey club and we'd love to have them. Representatives have to sit and talk with Dave and talk about the future.

Luc:
Was expecting a few Luc calls. It was a tough thing to do. Toughest thing to do since he's coached here... telling Luc that he wasn't going to play. Had to coach with his head and not his heart. Felt Luc looked tired, and needed a rest. Can't let heart and feelings for Luc effect decisions. Don't know if he's playing hard because he's mad at him or he's rested and re-energized.

Last edited by LuckyLUC20: 01-21-2004 at 07:43 PM. Reason: adding more stuff
Old
01-21-2004, 07:19 PM
guzmania

Thanks, interesting stuff.

No stregnth in Miller's arms. Bad news. Sounds disc-ish.

Old
01-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
Media in Los Angeles:
You coach with the personality you have, and you deal with the media with the personality you have. Be open and honest, keep dialogue open to the media.

Tenure as Kings coach, how do you keep message fresh:
personalities you have to deal with... have good people and leaders on team. loves what he does. no matter if we lost the night before, have to come to the rink energized. fortunate to coach LA Kings. expect team is energized, privilege and responsibility. playing hard, remind players about that all the time. a lot of good people with the Kings.
These questions were both by HF posters. Tubby Terrion and then me. Thanks for posting this!!!! I didn't get to here the answer to my question. They cut you off quick!

Old
01-21-2004, 07:46 PM
LuckyLUC20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
These questions were both by HF posters. Tubby Terrion and then me. Thanks for posting this!!!! I didn't get to here the answer to my question. They cut you off quick!
No Problem! I figured that was you, he said John from Irvine so it's cool to know that was you.

I actually added more stuff from Andy's segment on 710 to my post. I taped it and so I'm replaying it and adding stuff that I missed... so the full answer to your question is now complete.

Old
01-21-2004, 08:37 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Things you could change in NHL:
Goalies can come out of net, make goals inch higher, 2 inches wider allow more offense.
That should be can not.

On the second point, I brought that up on the main forum and was attacked by the "traditionalists" that it would destroy the game. I think it should be at least a puck lenth more on each side (3"). It would help remove the trap because the average number of goals would go up and you wouldn't be able to just sit back and take advantage of the other teams mistakes. Right now you only 2 goals to win in the NHL, and if you get 3 it usually means the game is over. I want it to go back to 4-5 goals to win in the NHL. If teams start scoring 4-5 goals a game, the trap disappears. No other rule change can get rid of the trap.

HF Forum Thread

Old
01-21-2004, 09:01 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLUC20
No Problem! I figured that was you, he said John from Irvine so it's cool to know that was you.

I actually added more stuff from Andy's segment on 710 to my post. I taped it and so I'm replaying it and adding stuff that I missed... so the full answer to your question is now complete.
My original questions were answered so that was a last minute question. I am glad they went to Tubby before me

Old
01-21-2004, 09:51 PM
jfont

Awards:
thanks luckyluc20...

01-22-2004, 12:36 AM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

good stuff.

i would have liked to ask him a more focused question about frolov. maybe something about his philosophy for developing a player of that skill and the directions in which he would like to see frolov take his game.

Old
01-22-2004, 10:38 AM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by navigator
good stuff.

i would have liked to ask him a more focused question about frolov. maybe something about his philosophy for developing a player of that skill and the directions in which he would like to see frolov take his game.

First. Exactly what I were feeling about the Frolov thing Nav. When I were there I recall how all of the media especially in sports were nothing more than capable of throwing out snowballs for the guests and this interview is no exception it seems. At least the callers asked some semi pointed questions.

Second. I love Andy and he is one great bloke. His system is brilliant and it rewards gritty hard working play and players. Although, it is time for him to produce or take the heat for it. Whether it is due to injury or what, he is the coach so, as he points out, it is his job to let us know what is going on. He is alright at doing this and if compared to other coaches he is brilliant at it. Andy needs to follow his own advice though. To say we play a "physical game" is totally wrong until lately.

Third. Lucky20, you are grand for taking the time to post this for those of us who don't get to read or listen to what is going on in the LA media, it is because of you lot that we get to know what is what. Thank you for taking the time, brilliant.

Fourth. I am a windbag so I will end it with saying that I HOPE that Andy does a better job at using our kids now that he "has" to use them then he did when we were healthy. I just see Andy as having a significant favour to players who are *only* hard workers as opposed to those who have more skill than grit. We need them *both* to win. Having only blue collar lads isn't enough. Making Frolov become a great two way player worked brilliantly. That don't mean that all kids need to follow the same mould. I also think that he should have been asked, in them pointed questions about Frolov, why he was NEVER a viable option on the PP until now and why he *rarely* ever saw more than 15:30 mins per game. On other teams Frolov would be one of the tops in the game (not up there with Kovy but scoring allot more) and would recieve more ice time i feel and think that Andy should have been asked what he saw in Frolov that made him use him the way he has. Not that he is wrong, but I would like to hear why he has done what he did.

Thank you again lucky!

Old
01-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Game Misconduct

Great summary. Thank you.

Closed Thread