HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Arena Suggestions - atmosphere, lines, temperature, etc.

Old
11-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

vCash: 500
Arena Suggestions - atmosphere, lines, temperature, etc.

The guy doing 30 games in 30 nights says Nationwide was the quietist arena he has been to so far. So much for our 'arena experience'

http://30games.blogspot.com/

Last edited by CBJSlash: 01-07-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Casework

...and he also says it was one of the best experiences so far.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 03:01 AM
Handyy

I second that

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 06:16 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Even though we won that game, I thought it was a bit of a snoozer. One of those games where the D ruled, as you can see by the shots.

To bad he wasn't at the Anaheim game.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 07:46 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Even though we won that game, I thought it was a bit of a snoozer. One of those games where the D ruled, as you can see by the shots.

To bad he wasn't at the Anaheim game.
I was, and to be honest, it wasn't exciting until the third period. I wish I could have been at or at least seen the first Chicago game.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 08:23 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
The guy doing 30 games in 30 nights says Nationwide was the quietist arena he has been to so far. So much for our 'arena experience'

I say we start making excuses and vilifying this dude.

Old
11-08-2007, 08:59 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
I was, and to be honest, it wasn't exciting until the third period. I wish I could have been at or at least seen the first Chicago game.
I saw the game and it was one of those messy games.

It wasn't the run and gun and score off the rush like the score seems to indicate. Some sloppy play and some suspect goaltending by both guys.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 09:03 AM
hashmarks

Quote:

The building is quiet. I have been to every home game this year (aside from opening night) and it is too quiet. The cannon is great, the opening is great, but while the game is on, it is kind of dead.

They really need to quit with all the contests during stoppages and get some music going to pump the crowd up. I know this has been discussed in the past, but the number of times they get you staring at the jumbotron like a zombie is far too often. They need to put things in there that get people cheering and excited for the play to start again.

Old
11-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
The building is quiet. I have been to every home game this year (aside from opening night) and it is too quiet. The cannon is great, the opening is great, but while the game is on, it is kind of dead.

They really need to quit with all the contests during stoppages and get some music going to pump the crowd up. I know this has been discussed in the past, but the number of times they get you staring at the jumbotron like a zombie is far too often. They need to put things in there that get people cheering and excited for the play to start again.
What?!! No kiss cam, Burrotirammy(or whatever it is!), chilli races, chutes dropping, or all the other crap not related to the game!!

I agree with you 100%!!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 09:15 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
What?!! No kiss cam, Burrotirammy(or whatever it is!), chilli races, chutes dropping, or all the other crap not related to the game!!

I agree with you 100%!!
I can see one or two of those things for some levity at times, but it is a bit much.

Hit highlights or goal highlight reels or something that has a soundtrack and gets people all revved up. The team has been playing very well and they deserve to be playing in front of a lively crowd.

I was at the LA game last week and I swear there was less than
10 000 people there, but you know what? They made more noise than our 13 000 do.

Old
11-08-2007, 09:20 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
I can see one or two of those things for some levity at times, but it is a bit much.

Hit highlights or goal highlight reels or something that has a soundtrack and gets people all revved up. The team has been playing very well and they deserve to be playing in front of a lively crowd.

I was at the LA game last week and I swear there was less than
10 000 people there, but you know what? They made more noise than our 13 000 do.
I would be happy if we could just get some better replays on goals and such. But it is never going to happen because there is to much money to be made with all the advertising.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 09:33 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I would be happy if we could just get some better replays on goals and such. But it is never going to happen because there is to much money to be made with all the advertising.
Yeah, you are right. The replays are poor as well.

Every team has advertising concerns, I think they just need to make a few trips around the league and get some ideas from other places.

Old
11-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I agree with this.

Quote:
Every team has advertising concerns, I think they just need to make a few trips around the league and get some ideas from other places.
And this.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Nordique

Its always been the WNCI fun time zaney party fun atmosphere > hockey at the Arena. Its a long time gripe of mine.

The pop dancing contest where they pit a 20 year old half shirt wearing girl VS the 30-40 year old suburban mother of 2 out for a night of Hockey. Gee who is the crowd going to cheer for the loudest? Its insulting to me, and I'm a guy. I don't care for it, I hope my daughter when she grows up can join me for a hockey game without having to sit through that crap.

Hey at least the ice chicks are all of age now, and not wearing skirts any more.

The music....ok I'm a bit heavy in my taste, but damn playing something that rocks and get the Kanye West/R Kelly mix the F out of that joint. It doesn't have to be metal, but rock is traditional hockey must, so fire up some classic Dio, Scorpians, heck even Nickelback, just give me some rock so I can get my air guitar groove on in between gulps of expensive cheap beer.

The gimmicks and pop culture atmosphere aren't filling seats anymore. Winning hockey will bring the fans back, so lets **** can the cheese and make it feel like a hockey arena.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 12:57 PM
cbjfan

Since we seem to be talking a little about pet peeves about the atmosphere at Nationwide...I have a couple:

1. People that are overly concerned about getting the third goal so that they can get a free 99 cent chili...drives me nuts. I would be willing to give them a dollar if they would just shut up

2. 40 year old guys that are willing to knock over a 4 yr old to get a t-shirt fired into the crowd.

cbjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjfan View Post
40 year old guys that are willing to knock over a 4 yr old to get a t-shirt fired into the crowd.

But I offered to pour some of my beer on the cut on her forehead to help it heal...

Old
11-08-2007, 01:28 PM
cbjfan4life

and all of the idiots who yell shoot every time the jackets bring the puck across the line during a power play.....even if the puck is behind the net!

cbjfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Skraut

A wise man once said...

"Nothing pumps up the crowd like a Casio "

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 01:44 PM
cbjfan

and the idiots who stay for an entire tied game....then leave as the OT and/or shootout is beginning

Are they trying to beat the traffic? In Columbus?

This isn't LA people

cbjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 01:47 PM
darrmd

Still one of the best comments ever made

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
But I offered to pour some of my beer on the cut on her forehead to help it heal...
ya gotta cotter-ize that ****...she'll be alright.

Old
11-08-2007, 02:05 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

The "game" that I have hated from its start is that stupid Donatos Roulette Wheel. The sound make me want to hurt someone. And the worst part is that it is not even random. Nothing says Roulette wheel like a game with a predetermined out come.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
ya gotta cotter-ize that ****...she'll be alright.

Old
11-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Sk8hockey

From my limited visits to Nationwide and coming from mostly Canucks home games, I'd have to say the 'Chili' chants drove me nuts. (especially if you're sitting in a $70+ lower bowl ticket & screaming for left-over hamburger meat...)
Also, the over-use of movie bits & such at timeouts on the scoreboard - don't know if they still do that?
I realize that Canada, as a whole, has a different 'appreciation level' for the game but I found it eerily calm/quiet at the Nat vs the atmosphere at GM Place.

Sk8hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8hockey View Post
... I'd have to say the 'Chili' chants drove me nuts. (especially if you're sitting in a $70+ lower bowl ticket & screaming for left-over hamburger meat...)
You nailed it so well. Its funny...because its true.