HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arena Suggestions - atmosphere, lines, temperature, etc.

Old
11-08-2007, 04:15 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

vCash: 500
As someone who sits near someone who always yells "We want Chili" after the second goal, here's my take.

We don't actually want chili. We want a win. More times than not over the past few seasons we needed at least 3 goals to win. Therefore, chili (3 goals) = win.

Those of us that have been PSL holders since the beginning, usually get a chuckle when Keith yells about the chili (section 203 row C in the middle).

It's not about the chili at all.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Hilliardsw55
Johnson!

Throughout play, it is dead. Everyone just..moves their head back and forth watching play happen.

A goal is scored, we make noise. Play starts again. We die down again.

UH OH, BURRITOAMMY! MAKE NOISE AGAIN! UH OH! THE TV THING IS TELLING ME TO MAKE NOISE! *crowd makes noise* *play starts again* *crowd dies down*

The crowd at Nationwide is never volunteerly noisy.

Hilliardsw55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilliardsw55 View Post
Throughout play, it is dead. Everyone just..moves their head back and forth watching play happen.

A goal is scored, we make noise. Play starts again. We die down again.

UH OH, BURRITOAMMY! MAKE NOISE AGAIN! UH OH! THE TV THING IS TELLING ME TO MAKE NOISE! *crowd makes noise* *play starts again* *crowd dies down*

The crowd at Nationwide is never volunteerly noisy.
Its going to take some years I think before we can attain the critical mass of educated fans required to have a true hockey atmosphere here.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 06:07 PM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
A wise man once said...

"Nothing pumps up the crowd like a Casio "
Don't forget the AkaiMPC.

Biggest waste of $2,000. It's a freakin' workstation, it can do more than create a thud for us to clap our hands to. Just let me have it and I'll actually use the damn thing for what it's intended for.

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 06:46 PM
CoachWithNoTeam

I, for one, have always been annoyed by the calmness of the crowd. The only times we make noise is when we are being embarrassed by other teams fans. Such was the case when Buffalo came to town last year or any time Detroit comes. Even if we outnumber them 15k to 3k, I still feel like the other teams fans are making as much noise as we are, if not more.

I say we take it upon ourselves to become obnoxious. We need to actually cheer for our team. I'm sure our players won't think "oh, boy, these people are rude." More likely, their adrenaline will be pumping a little bit harder. Even if it does not impact the outcome of the game one iota, it will be more lively and thus, for me at least, more enjoyable.

I say we collectively heckle the hell out of Tootoo next home game.

CoachWithNoTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
The spark has left Nationwide.....I've voiced my opinion on this enough..... I can't believe we could sell out the house with a losing team and barely get 13,000 with a winning team...... The 13,000 fanbase in Columbus is very conservative so a quiet non cheering crowd should not be a surprise.

If there is a positive on this subject we should come close to 17,000 when Detroit comes to town.....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 07:29 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
The spark has left Nationwide.....I've voiced my opinion on this enough..... I can't believe we could sell out the house with a losing team and barely get 13,000 with a winning team...... The 13,000 fanbase in Columbus is very conservative so a quiet non cheering crowd should not be a surprise.

If there is a positive on this subject we should come close to 17,000 when Detroit comes to town.....
I have to agree with this. The last two years quieted a lot of people. But I think they/we have ALSO discovered that 14,000 people make a lot more noise than 12,000. It's a "critical mass" issue.

Now to be a contrarian with this thread:

I don't want constant music. I don't want constant thumping in my ear.

Some of the SCHTICK is tired (dewmolisher) but seriously... I don't need to be entertained by burritos but I understand why they do it.

But at some point this franchise has to wake up to the need for replays on the jumbotron ( and it's ok with me if they are "sponsored by Donatos" so they can get their plug).

Some crowd things will take time to develop. Take OSU for example. When I was in college there, nobody shouted "O-H I-O" ...but now it's a crowd energizer.

Last point: The Schottenstein is quiet too. Maybe it's a midwestern thing.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 09:40 PM
5StringBuzz

Our section has gotten a lot quieter over the past few years, too. I think part of it is the lack of people -- duh -- but not just because more people = noisier. I think there is a critical mass aspect to it. But it's also an attitude thing. I holler and cheer for the CBJ, jeer the other team, and get a lot of odd looks from the people nearby. Those folks just seem to like to be quiet. When we get opposing teams' fans in our area, they're usually louder than the locals. Some of those folks have been there -- silently -- for years. I don't get it. Never have.

As for the numbers, I still think they're down, but I think attendance is being reported more conservatively than it used to be (i.e., the actual attendance isn't down as much as it's reported to be). Anywho, I'm really jonesing for a full house, even if it takes a DeadThings visit to do it.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 01:56 AM
Handyy

I don't mean to offend anyone. But you know, the thing I don't understand about hockey audiences in US (not just Columbus), is that people rather boo for the opponent and the ref than to clap for a good performance by hometown team. Like when a player makes good moves and shoots but doesn't score, he usually doesn't get any clapping when he really should. Teams get energy from the home crowd cheering, but I don't think they really get anything out of boos for the other team.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 07:43 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
I don't mean to offend anyone. But you know, the thing I don't understand about hockey audiences in US (not just Columbus), is that people rather boo for the opponent and the ref than to clap for a good performance by hometown team. Like when a player makes good moves and shoots but doesn't score, he usually doesn't get any clapping when he really should. Teams get energy from the home crowd cheering, but I don't think they really get anything out of boos for the other team.
They do that in Canada too. And we don't like Canada, a.k.a. "the other white meat." Just saying...

Americans applaud good plays in Football and Baseball because there are breaks in the action. So we tend to applaud during breaks in the Hockey action as well, if the play deserves it.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 07:55 AM
WrightOn

Quote:
Agreed Handyy. It's just ignorance, IMO. And laziness.

WrightOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
I disagree. The crowds here may not rival other places as far as knowledgeable fans, but I've seen/heard numerous non-scoring, non-spectacular plays get applause/affirmation.

Old
11-09-2007, 10:18 AM
hashmarks

The one thing that I like about the fans at Nationwide is that I have yet to hear them boo for the jackets. Are they apt to do that?

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 10:34 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
The one thing that I like about the fans at Nationwide is that I have yet to hear them boo for the jackets. Are they apt to do that?
Happened more then once last year.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachWithNoTeam View Post
I, for one, have always been annoyed by the calmness of the crowd. The only times we make noise is when we are being embarrassed by other teams fans. Such was the case when Buffalo came to town last year or any time Detroit comes. Even if we outnumber them 15k to 3k, I still feel like the other teams fans are making as much noise as we are, if not more.

I say we take it upon ourselves to become obnoxious. We need to actually cheer for our team. I'm sure our players won't think "oh, boy, these people are rude." More likely, their adrenaline will be pumping a little bit harder. Even if it does not impact the outcome of the game one iota, it will be more lively and thus, for me at least, more enjoyable.

I say we collectively heckle the hell out of Tootoo next home game.
I agree with you. When I went to Nashville last year, they had a dedicated section for chants and such. Let's be honest, it's great that we're so friendly here in Columbus, but we need to get a little nasty. Not Buffalo nasty, but we need to just have some fun.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Ar-too

vCash: 1000
Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
I booed them after the second period of a game against the Canucks where they were down 4-1 entering the third. I booed lustily.

I cheered my head off too, and lost my voice doing so when they came back and took it to overtime .

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 11:51 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post
I booed them after the second period of a game against the Canucks where they were down 4-1 entering the third. I booed lustily.
Figures.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 11:58 AM
disgruntledPSLholder

Funny. People used to complain about the crowd getting noisy whenever we brought the puck over the blue line. Now that we're not so easily entertained, people are complaining about a lack of noise. At the games I've been to this year, whenever we had a good scoring chance the crowd was buzzing...if we were dicking around with the puck on the boards (still doing it after 6 years and a new coach...whatever) then people get bored and don't make any noise.

and some of you are showing some amazing ignorance of sports business (not that this suprises me). you guys do know that there's more going on than putting a team on the ice, right?

disgruntledPSLholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 12:50 PM
BluejacketNut

My dad was in town for the Vancouver game (he's been to a couple in the past years) and one of his comments was about the lack of energy in the arena. I agree with him, the little promotions at tv timeouts and during intermission, put you to sleep! Theyre more worried about pleasing their corporate partners then creating an energetic environment. Theres no aggressive music to get people pumped, I generally have to be woken up after the "what song on my ipod" proomotion comes up.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Mr Mac

Vancouver was a strange game. If I recall, it was very evenly played, and the Canucks don't exactly play an exciting style of hockey. It was more of a fast paced chess match. Not much to shout about.

When I can make it, the arena atmosphere and entertainment seems just fine. I wonder if the players care or notice the difference between average and loud. I'd bet they'd say "most of the time we tune it out."

Mr Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-too View Post

I cheered my head off too, and lost my voice doing so when they came back and took it to overtime .
They've been booed more times than I can recall. This season has been different, of course.

I don't boo my team, but to each his own. I understand wanting to voice your displeasure and they certainly have played bad enough to deserve it more than once, its just something I don't want to do.

If you read some of the posts on this board in the Dallas GDT for example, you surely would assume we have some boo'ers at the home games.

Old
11-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I disagree. The crowds here may not rival other places as far as knowledgeable fans, but I've seen/heard numerous non-scoring, non-spectacular plays get applause/affirmation.

The core fans know the game(this board is evidence enough), we just don't have the mass yet that traditional hockey towns enjoy.

Old
11-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Mellington

Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
I dont boo my team.. or the other team ( unless its a nasty Hit ) i will boo the refs its fun .. but as for the noise during the game.. I get wrapped up in watchin the game .. I like to just focus on the plays and following the puck .. and to be honest I dont cheer much for nice plays .. but I kinda like it a lil quiet durin regular play .Its kinda neat to be able to hear them talking to each other on the ice ..I do cheer for a sweet pass.. or when a player does a move that just makes you go wow .. but for the most part i am kinda quiet just watching the game .. Its how I have learned as much about the game as I have .. I am sure when I have been a fan longer I wont have to focus so hard

Old
11-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Byrral

I'll take the atmosphere that was generated by a game like last years Buffalo game over the normally quiet Nat. I think that will change when the games get more competitive and we develop rivalries with others teams instead of constantly being the whipping boys. Opening night was loud. The others....not so much.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
I noticed the quiet thing too when I've made it down there my few times. The first thing I thought about halfway thru the 1st period was "My god, I make more noise sitting at home watching the games by myself than this whole section does..." It really seemed like most of the people were there because they thought there was supposed to be a tractor pull going on or something. Just sayin

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote