HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Arena Suggestions - atmosphere, lines, temperature, etc.

Old
11-09-2007, 05:03 PM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
..." It really seemed like most of the people were there because they thought there was supposed to be a tractor pull going on or something. Just sayin
It's freakin Ohio...... don't get me wrong, I love Ohio but come on people....if you want your team to win have a beer and be vocal.... the players love it!

As for booing, I do boo but not often. When the Jackets play as bad as possible (i.e. the last Chicago game) I will boo. In fact, I do more than boo-I wait for the perfect moment when there is no crowd noise or dumb Jumbo Tron gimmic and yell at them, I'm close enough where I can be heard on the ice if the timing is right.....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 05:41 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
I wonder if the players care or notice the difference between average and loud.
They notice.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 01:21 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
I'll take the atmosphere that was generated by a game like last years Buffalo game over the normally quiet Nat.
I was at one Sabres home game and I have to say that they were really, really, really loud. Well, it was against Toronto and there were loads of Leafs fans so I'm not sure if it was a special night or what, but my ears hurt like coming out of a heavy metal gig after the game.

Would be fun to do a comparison about different teams and atmospheres at arenas like this 30 games in 30 nights dude is doing. Well, I have 6 arenas so far... Only 24 to go!

And I agree with willien, players do notice and get loads of energy from a loud crowd. Most of all, they hit much harder every shift if they get rewarded with loud cheering.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
I was at one Sabres home game and I have to say that they were really, really, really loud. Well, it was against Toronto and there were loads of Leafs fans so I'm not sure if it was a special night or what, but my ears hurt like coming out of a heavy metal gig after the game.
No special night, Toronto in Buffalo is like Detroit in Columbus.....3,000 or more fans from the other team every game.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 07:30 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I don't boo our team. Never.

As far as the energy in the building... the players are in charge of the fans. If they feed off the energy, they could do more to help it. Quite frankly, the DEMEANOR of most players in the rink gives the appearance of IGNORING the fans. Last night they gave a closeup of the team coming through the tunnel. Kids were hanging their hands down, and the players were ignoring them as they walked by. Fans stand at the glass during warmups and the players RARELY acknowledge them. Just saying they could do a lot more to endear themselves.

People have wondered why we keep Jody Shelley around, and one of the reasons is that he creates BUZZ. There are times when you can hear the crowd begin to say his name just because he took the ice during the game. Then he hits some guy (or misses) and the crowd roars. The only other guy on the team that the crowd reacts to like that is Pazzy. (Boll is coming on but he needs to do some doofus commercials first.)

I personally think we need some new concept for in-arena entertainment. It's pretty stale and often distracting. I CRINGE everytime I hear "And Now Put Your Hands Together" or the Casio organ. More replays and less schtick would raise the blood pressure. Players who acted as if the glass wasn't a brick wall would help too.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 08:36 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

In terms of the energy, part of it comes from being entertained & having reason to go nuts. Opening night had a buzz like I've never seen at Nationwide. They scored four goals, had a couple of shorthanded breakaways & blanked the defending Stanley Cup champs.

Last night was not one of those nights. The only things that drew cheers from the fans were Vyborny's quick goal, Boll's fight, Chimmer checking the ref and a loud "Let's Go Jackets" chant late in the game when the team had the puck late in the period. Other than that, that was it. It was hard to get excited about the game because, well, there wasn't much else to get excited about.

I agree on the replays, especially when there's a goal being reviewed & we'd like to have an in as to whether or not the goal will be allowed or not. I sat in 217 against Anaheim last year when Aaron Johnson's eventual goal was being reviewed & I had to crane my head to look up into the CBJ Radio Network booth to watch the replay on the TV in there. Put them up on the jumbotron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Fans stand at the glass during warmups and the players RARELY acknowledge them.
I've gone down to the tunnel several times, especially recently. When fans hang out there & make noise, the only players that say something back or high five are Nash, Fedorov, Hainsey, Chimera, Leclaire, Shelley(if in a good mood) & occasionally Norrena and Vyborny. The rest walk by as if they're deaf or don't care.

Last edited by CBJSprague24: 11-13-2007 at 08:45 AM.
CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 09:52 AM
darrmd

Go to any arena the fans make the atmosphere, sorry I am really dissappointed in the fan base. This team could have won last night if the fans were awake, the team then would of woke up. Buffalo, the fans are loud, Detroit, the fans are loud, Nashville, the fans are loud. Columbus......

If you go to a hockey game then go to a hockey game. Little p1553d about the fan base last night.

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 11:44 AM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrmd View Post
Go to any arena the fans make the atmosphere, sorry I am really dissappointed in the fan base. This team could have won last night if the fans were awake, the team then would of woke up. Buffalo, the fans are loud, Detroit, the fans are loud, Nashville, the fans are loud. Columbus......

If you go to a hockey game then go to a hockey game. Little p1553d about the fan base last night.
I was at the game and go at least a third of them per season. The vibe at Opening night was the best vibe ever that I've experienced in Nationwide - that is how it will be when we make the playoffs.

You can be pissed at me as a fan for last night if you want - I don't care. The team played like crap, Nash started floating 1/2 way through the game. Players were falling down at inopportune moments. The EFFORT wasn't there. It was chickens with their heads cut off hockey (much like our Detroit games 2 seasons ago).

I REFUSE to cheer for them when they don't appear to care. I wasn't booing but some around me were, I don't blame them.

The only moment that I thought about cheering that deserved it (but I didn't cheer) was during the third when the Fritsche - Manny - Chimmer line kept the puck in the offensive zone for an extended period of time. But even that was too little, too late, and ended up with nothing to show for it.

Sloppy hockey does not get fan approval - nor should it.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Mr Mac

Quote:

Are they loud because they are better fans, or because they have better teams?
Better teams!

Mr Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2007, 11:57 AM
darrmd

Fans help make a team win

Old
11-13-2007, 01:00 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Quote:
Fans help make a team win
I don't disagree with this. If the effort had been there and we were still down a goal or two, I would have been cheering. If it looked like there was HOPE, I would have been cheering.

I'll be back there on Sunday with the family. As far as I'm concerned, the slate is cleaned after every game. Show me effort, show me you care, I'll cheer you on. Come out looking like crap again, I'll sit on my hands and wait for you to show me something. Play like crap for an entire game, I might just boo.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 09:30 PM
sjones

Name that tune....

Trying to figure out a song they play after a Jackets goal. They start up “For those about to rock”, the cannon goes off, then they play another song which is the one I’m trying to figure out.

Not so high quality audio of it:

http://www.doctorjones.org/tempdownloads/goalmusic.mp3

sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 09:47 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Celebration Chant, by Joe Satriani is what I think it's called. Several other teams use it as well, only longer versions of it.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 11:31 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I think the second 'celebration' song works after the cannon shot. Not crazy about "for those about to rock" ...seems pretty cliche.

Question for those who go to the games... are we supposed to chant HEY during this celebration song? I thought we were. People are just clapping in time, which is ok. But I hear a smattering of "hey" for some goals and some nights. First night they used it they DID put up "Hey" on the jumbotron, but haven't seen it since.

Opinions?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 11:53 PM
Doug61*

They need to find another song or something that they can play after goals that encourages fan participation more like our old goal song.

Doug61* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 06:11 AM
Skraut

the song is actually called "Crowd Chant"

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 08:21 AM
hashmarks

They need to do a lot of things with game ops.

We are 4-4 going into overtime with the Wings and they play some movie clip from a Bobby Fisher movie about two kids deciding on whether or not to call it a draw. The crowd was pumping until then--everyone stopped to watch for some climax, but of course--nothing. Sure calmed the crowd down--wouldn't want them to be cheering for a sustained time period now would we?

Kiss cam late in the third period of a 3-3 tie with a division rival? Seriously.

Old
11-19-2007, 08:53 AM
cbjfan4life

maybe they can start playing more hippity hop...that'll really get the crowd going!

cbjfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 09:23 AM
sjones

Thanks for all the replies. I went to the game last night and the two other people I went with couldn't identify it either.

They actually had a vote for the new goal song to go along with the cannon:

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/fanzone/newgoalsongvote.htm

sjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2007, 09:42 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjones View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I went to the game last night and the two other people I went with couldn't identify it either.

They actually had a vote for the new goal song to go along with the cannon:

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/fanzone/newgoalsongvote.htm
It is hard to identify because it isn't loud enough.

Old
11-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Mellington

Send a message via AIM to Mellington Send a message via Yahoo to Mellington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I think the second 'celebration' song works after the cannon shot. Not crazy about "for those about to rock" ...seems pretty cliche.

Question for those who go to the games... are we supposed to chant HEY during this celebration song? I thought we were. People are just clapping in time, which is ok. But I hear a smattering of "hey" for some goals and some nights. First night they used it they DID put up "Hey" on the jumbotron, but haven't seen it since.

Opinions?
I like to just clap in time with the song .. its gets your body moving if you do it right lol .. but my fav thing about the new " arena theme " is the beginning .. When they ask who will carry the flag .. the past few games I have been at I have noticed more and more fans yelling I will Right before they show the players sayin I will

Old
11-20-2007, 12:10 AM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

I put something like this in the @St. Louis thread from last Friday, but I was at Scottrade Center for the game, and my god does that place get loud, and stay loud the whole 60 minutes. Granted, they've gone to the playoffs 25-27 times in the last 30 years, so they're expected to win at least half the time, but this is what I want to address:

1. Very few corporate sponsor/jumbotron special crap going on. It was only during the TV timeouts. Between faceoffs they would play their "organ" and the crowd would eat it up, unlike Nationwide where they have to fill all 55 faceoffs in the game with promos like it's the largest time void in recorded history. Basically, this means that the St. Louis fans are "forced" to create noise and excitement. One of the major ways they do that is...

2. Allow fans to bring noisemaking devices into Nationwide. I've been to 4 NHL arenas, and have seen games from every arena, and I swear to God, Allah, Vishnu, whatever... that we are the only arena that will confiscate your air horn, plastic bugle, etc. because of whatever reason (it might be a bomb!). At every other arena, people use this stuff all the time and the fans seem to eat it up (St. Louis had a ton of people using airhorns in a "honk-honk-honk... Let's go Blues!" fashion, and it went on for most of the game, and everybody joined in).

I don't know, I starting to lose all hope of cheering, because I get embarassed when I'm the only person in 3 sections clapping, shouting, cheering, whatever. It's a pathetic display of fan enthusiasm. I mean, I want to watch and follow the game, which means I can't get completely hammered and cheer my ass off without being self-aware. What are we going to do?

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 07:59 AM
darrmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTMcWhiskers View Post
I put something like this in the @St. Louis thread from last Friday, but I was at Scottrade Center for the game, and my god does that place get loud, and stay loud the whole 60 minutes. Granted, they've gone to the playoffs 25-27 times in the last 30 years, so they're expected to win at least half the time, but this is what I want to address:

1. Very few corporate sponsor/jumbotron special crap going on. It was only during the TV timeouts. Between faceoffs they would play their "organ" and the crowd would eat it up, unlike Nationwide where they have to fill all 55 faceoffs in the game with promos like it's the largest time void in recorded history. Basically, this means that the St. Louis fans are "forced" to create noise and excitement. One of the major ways they do that is...

2. Allow fans to bring noisemaking devices into Nationwide. I've been to 4 NHL arenas, and have seen games from every arena, and I swear to God, Allah, Vishnu, whatever... that we are the only arena that will confiscate your air horn, plastic bugle, etc. because of whatever reason (it might be a bomb!). At every other arena, people use this stuff all the time and the fans seem to eat it up (St. Louis had a ton of people using airhorns in a "honk-honk-honk... Let's go Blues!" fashion, and it went on for most of the game, and everybody joined in).

I don't know, I starting to lose all hope of cheering, because I get embarassed when I'm the only person in 3 sections clapping, shouting, cheering, whatever. It's a pathetic display of fan enthusiasm. I mean, I want to watch and follow the game, which means I can't get completely hammered and cheer my ass off without being self-aware. What are we going to do?
exactly,

Nashville has those stupid whistles for Tootoo which I really wanted to stuff down someone's throat.

Old
11-20-2007, 08:05 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTMcWhiskers View Post

I agree, although I am not a big fan of the outside noisemakers being brought in. It depends on what it is I suppose, but I can't stand that horn thing that someone brings into the Saddledome--it makes it hard to watch on TV could you imagine if you were right beside that thing?

Old
11-20-2007, 08:57 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

I am not a fan of noisemakers but if you want to bring one go ahead. We all know our ushers do nothing so no one is going to take it from you. Sunday I had a stupid wings fan ringing a bell all night long two rows behind me and my usher did nothing.

Also don't play bobby fisher movie clips unless you want to kill any noise we have. Our game ops suck. They flat out killed the Arena going into OT Sunday.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote