HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arena Suggestions - atmosphere, lines, temperature, etc.

Old
11-20-2007, 10:06 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
I am not a fan of noisemakers but if you want to bring one go ahead. We all know our ushers do nothing so no one is going to take it from you. Sunday I had a stupid wings fan ringing a bell all night long two rows behind me and my usher did nothing.

Also don't play bobby fisher movie clips unless you want to kill any noise we have. Our game ops suck. They flat out killed the Arena going into OT Sunday.
Seriously... bring back the Jim Carrey clips.
He's appropriately loud and annoying.

WHERE HAS THE BUGLER GONE TO?
The gave the guy like one chance ...it didn't go really well, and he had a trumpet rather than a bugle, but hey.

The "organ charge" is the "most lame" thing they do.

Organ "Charge" Lame Poll

Lame
|||||||||||||||||||||
99% Agree..... Voters: Everybody

Not Lame
|
1% Disagree ...... Voters: My 3rd grade piano teacher

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 10:10 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
I am not a fan of noisemakers but if you want to bring one go ahead. We all know our ushers do nothing so no one is going to take it from you. Sunday I had a stupid wings fan ringing a bell all night long two rows behind me and my usher did nothing.
Nothing is more irritating to me than people getting to their seats when the play is on. The ushers in my section don't seem to hold anyone back, they just let them wander around and get to their seats whenever. Annoying.

Quote:
Also don't play bobby fisher movie clips unless you want to kill any noise we have. Our game ops suck. They flat out killed the Arena going into OT Sunday.
Wasn't that the WORST??? Everyone stopped and paid attention to some sort of climax, then nothing. Like I said before, the kiss cam late in the third in a 3-3 tie? Come on.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2007, 10:25 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
Nothing is more irritating to me than people getting to their seats when the play is on. The ushers in my section don't seem to hold anyone back, they just let them wander around and get to their seats whenever. Annoying.

Wasn't that the WORST??? Everyone stopped and paid attention to some sort of climax, then nothing. Like I said before, the kiss cam late in the third in a 3-3 tie? Come on.

Don't get me started on people moving around during the play. I have maybe came close to fighting 5 times in my adult life and three of the times have been over people blocking my view at the Nat. I did not pay $80 to see the back of your drunk yuppie head all night long.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Inquiring Minds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
The spark has left Nationwide.....I've voiced my opinion on this enough..... I can't believe we could sell out the house with a losing team and barely get 13,000 with a winning team...... The 13,000 fanbase in Columbus is very conservative so a quiet non cheering crowd should not be a surprise.

If there is a positive on this subject we should come close to 17,000 when Detroit comes to town.....
Timing is everything. CBJ have started getting better a year after the casual fans have given up. It's going to be a rough road back. People have gotten tired of the big "Pump up" in the third period, you know how it went:
"There comes a time...."
"It's up to you...."
"Come on, MAKE SOME NOISE..."
and then the Jackets would promptly lose the faceoff, and chase the puck for 20 of the last 40 seconds.

Columbus is capable of providing a supportive fan base. I still remember the season finales where the fans just wouldn't let the team lose. It got really, really loud. And it was fun. It's going to take some time to convince people that they really can make a difference.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2007, 11:59 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Who ever had the bright idea to have a two bit game show host doing magic tricks during the game should be shot with the cannon. Thank you to all of you the booed that hack.

Old
11-22-2007, 12:08 AM
Matt Foley*

Quote:
Who ever had the bright idea to have a two bit game show host doing magic tricks during the game should be shot with the cannon. Thank you to all of you the booed that hack.
Oh, man; that was horrible. Card tricks during a TV timeout - Never again.

Matt Foley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 12:09 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
It is just unbelievable how bad things have become there.

Old
11-22-2007, 12:27 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

NEW IDEAS for IN-GAME CROWD HYPE

Those who pimped the cannon can do this!

1. Start section chants using the circular scoreboard that rings the arena.
(Recall how it works for "O H I O".) Why not one side: "Let's Go" Other side: "Jackets"

2. Absolutely Kill the Organ and "Charge". They suck big time and rarely get anybody going.

3. SHOW SOME FREAKIN REPLAYS TO GET OUR BLOOD BOILING.
In the past, the reason they've said they don't show replays is they are afraid of inciting the crowd. Now they need to INCITE THE CROWD.

4. Show some HITS in Slo-Mo. Hits from the game. Add some large sounds to it.

5. Develop some theme song clips for different players and lines. (They do this sort of thing in baseball and it's fun). Play the song clips/videoclips as the particular player or line is coming onto the ice after a time out. Nash and Zher come out and we hear Superman or the theme from Batman and Robin. The fourth line gets some head banger clip.

6. More magic tricks: Make Brule and Vyborny disappear.

7. Hire a couple of stuntmen to appear as Refs and Opposing Players during the game. Have Stinger and Old Ladies beat the crap out of them.... and other funny schtick (really, this would be awesome).

Holy Smokes! -- I should be getting paid for this.

Last edited by JACKETfan: 11-22-2007 at 12:33 AM.
Old
11-22-2007, 12:45 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
The Blitz (radio station sponsored) eating contest was kind of bizarre too.
They should have at least had the guys "eating for the lowerbowl" vs "eating for the upper bowl" etc to try and get the crowd into it.

8. Beach balls.... see if the lowerbowl can beat the upper bowl in getting a beach ball or inflatable puck around the arena. That would be fun and create some buzz.

9. Roll some stats on the jumbotron or circular thingy. We're HOCKEY fans.

10. Put up a scoreboard of 'other games tonight' like they do in baseball. Hockey fans would watch it.

11. Did I mention INCITING replays?

Old
11-22-2007, 01:38 AM
cbj1

Nationwide arena game-ops new slogan:

"I went to a magic show and a hockey game broke out!"

Good grief.

cbj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 09:55 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

All good ideas jacketfan.

What ever happen to Stinger and his drum? That help to get the Let Go Jackets chant going. Give that useless bug something to do.

Old
11-22-2007, 10:38 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:

What ever happen to Stinger and his drum? That help to get the Let Go Jackets chant going. Give that useless bug something to do.
Yeah, where was his drum? He seems to have disappeared during the game just like the rest of the team.

I've always liked Stinger. He could be used in some funnier ways, though.
Like last night when that guy proposed to his girlfriend in the Fan Stand (that was me yelling "Don't Do It"), ....and Stinger starts to kiss the girl and rub her head. Did you notice she turned to him and kissed him back? Classic Stinger But he could have been less subtle... and maybe shoved the guy and taken off with the girl. Crazier Schtick is always appreciated.

Old
11-22-2007, 03:34 PM
QTMcWhiskers
Playoff Avatar Stays

Quote:

Kimberly Kershaw said it was creating excitement in the arena, so it was taken away.

QTMcWhiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 04:00 PM
disgruntledPSLholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post

8. Beach balls.... see if the lowerbowl can beat the upper bowl in getting a beach ball or inflatable puck around the arena. That would be fun and create some buzz.
and it would create even more buzz when the beach ball ends up on the ice and breaks up a jackets odd man rush. (not that they'd score on it anyway)

seriously though, good ideas.

disgruntledPSLholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2007, 09:38 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntledPSLholder View Post
and it would create even more buzz when the beach ball ends up on the ice and breaks up a jackets odd man rush. (not that they'd score on it anyway)

seriously though, good ideas.
Good point....but maybe the 2 minute timeout is plenty of time to race it half way around? Start 2 in the lowerbowl behind the net going opposite directions. Just thinking out loud.

12. Hey Nationwide...how about a ROCK BAND every now and then during intermission, or during some time outs. Even a drum corp from the local high school or colleges would be a nice change of pace. I gotta believe the local bands would love the opportunity to crank up a wicked "Let's Go Jackets".

Old
11-23-2007, 10:08 AM
BZArcher

Quote:
God, yes. I was one of the people booing him, too.

BZArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2007, 12:37 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Old
11-23-2007, 02:57 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I love magic.
I love good card tricks. He's a pretty good magician.
And I thought the guy actually did a pretty good job filling in for Todd.
But card tricks during a crappy game? The guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time doing the wrong thing.

Old
11-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Mr Mac

Who is this magician everyone is talking about?

Regarding in-arena entertainment: Nice suggestions jacketfan.
I don't get to many games in person, but watch most all of them, and I have noticed that the FSN Ohio coverage rarely gives the flavor of the arena. It seems as if they have the microphones turned down and don't focus on the crowd that much. The reason I mention this is that MAYBE if the TV coverage recognized some of the crazies we'd get more of them. Look at the OSU games. They regularly show the outlandish fans going nuts in the stands. You almost never see that in a hockey broadcast. And yet some of these fans get the crowd going. In other words, Stinger can't do it all by himself.

Mr Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 12:27 AM
BZArcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Mac View Post
Who is this magician everyone is talking about?

Regarding in-arena entertainment: Nice suggestions jacketfan.
I don't get to many games in person, but watch most all of them, and I have noticed that the FSN Ohio coverage rarely gives the flavor of the arena. It seems as if they have the microphones turned down and don't focus on the crowd that much. The reason I mention this is that MAYBE if the TV coverage recognized some of the crazies we'd get more of them. Look at the OSU games. They regularly show the outlandish fans going nuts in the stands. You almost never see that in a hockey broadcast. And yet some of these fans get the crowd going. In other words, Stinger can't do it all by himself.
The magician was the substitute host for Todd - from what I understood he's the TV host for the Cash Explosion gameshow, too?

The problem is, in the middle of the VERY TENSE third period, where we were tied up and on a TV timeout, they put him up onto the jumbotron doing card tricks with one of the Pepsi girls who looked like she'd rather be shoved into a woodchipper than up on stage with him.

Worse, the card trick(s) he did was one long, drawn out set of tricks all on the same card, and it took almost the entire TV timeout before the payoff of the trick, by which point he'd lost any interest I had in it, and pretty much everyone around me in 115 mostly just wanted him to shut up and go away.

Completely killed any energy in the stands, really took me out of the game, and I got the impression that it was completely disruptive to a crowd that had been on their feet and yelling "Let's Go Jackets" pretty loudly during the long series of 5-on-5 back and forths.

BZArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Handyy

After the Jackets game, I kept watching games and in Carolina... Man, I have never seen such an atmosphere. I mean, I have been once there and it was nothing like that, but now it was so loud that players couldn't hear the whistles. It was a good game anyways, but they really cheered for the home team even though they were first trailing in 3rd. Hurricanes rallied back to win the game, and I gotta think one big factor was the huge cheering from home crowd.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2007, 09:39 AM
X0ssbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZArcher View Post
God, yes. I was one of the people booing him, too.
I was as well. That might have been the most embarrasing moment in Blue Jackets game ops history.

All I could ask myself is what in the hell were they thinking by doin that?

They also need to desperately lose those dumb movie segments after goals are scored - talk about sucking all the momentum straight out of the building....

We know you are all happy, clapping, hooting and hollering...but stop all that and watch this pointless movie clip.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 03:00 AM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
I was as well. That might have been the most embarrasing moment in Blue Jackets game ops history.

All I could ask myself is what in the hell were they thinking by doin that?

They also need to desperately lose those dumb movie segments after goals are scored - talk about sucking all the momentum straight out of the building....

We know you are all happy, clapping, hooting and hollering...but stop all that and watch this pointless movie clip.
I booed him as well.

Tonights game was MUCH better. Except for during a tv timeout in the third when they played twist and shout, which I thought really killed the energy (although watching an elderly female usher dancing made my night - talk about having fun at work!), but then they played the clip from Miracle and redeemed themselves.

Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 11:36 AM
hashmarks

It is easy to have a lively building when it is near capacity. You earn your money when there are
12 000 people there. The jackets have stepped up their game, the coaching staff is working tirelessly to get this team in the playoffs--EVERYONE has to up their game.

A magician? Wow.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2007, 12:06 PM
darrmd

They just need to send Kim on the road to a couple arenas.

darrmd is offline   Reply With Quote