HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jason Ward

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2004, 06:29 PM
missthenet

vCash: 500
Jason Ward

Watching him skate tonight has reminded me of the way Claude Provost use to skate

Old
01-13-2004, 06:42 PM
Playr050

Send a message via AIM to Playr050
Tonight was the first time I really noticed it affect his play. He's always skated like a goober, but tonight he kicked the puck away from himself just trying to move forward. It was brutal.

Old
01-13-2004, 06:42 PM
RE-HABS

I wish I could agree, but I don't recall much other than Shutt, Lafleur, Gainey and Robinson as the older Habs I watched at around 5 years old in 79 to the present...plus Claude Provost played in the 50's to the 1970 season. Sorry before my time, hope Ward can have a solid career like Provost did though.

Old
01-14-2004, 02:57 AM
mcphee

When we talk about the great defensive forwards we always go to Gainey, but before that there was Provost, maybe the best shutdown forward there was. Ask Bobby Hull about Provost. Ward has to be judged by more than his abilities. He seems awkward but remains effective. While he was far from smooth on 2 on 1's, he gets them. He anticipates well and is on the puck. Good things happen when he's on the ice. The good things just aren't stylish. Tremblay and Lambert weren't much to look at either and they turned in decent careers.

Old
01-14-2004, 04:20 AM
Darz

I thought Ward had a pretty decent game versus the Blues, but it is become quite obvious to me that this guy has pretty much reached his upside.

Don't get me wrong, I like the way he plays the game, but he definately doesn't have top 2 line skills in the skating or hockey sense department. He is a perfect fit on the 4th line and PK'ing unit.

Old
01-14-2004, 04:54 AM
Joe Maximum

What's funny is when he tries to dart out of a corner with the puck but he can't because he can't use his stick to handle the puck since he's using his stick to not fall

Still, I don't mind having him on my team

Old
01-14-2004, 04:57 AM
Tuggy

He doesn't have the same skills as our top players, that is no secret. But I honestly think that he is not a bad option on the bottom two lines. He plays hard everynight and by himself he created a couple of 2 on 1's. He also played very well on the PK tonight. Not everyone has show stopping skills. He is a good grinder and I like his play.

Old
01-14-2004, 04:57 AM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maximum
What's funny is when he tries to dart out of a corner with the puck but he can't because he can't use his stick to handle the puck since he's using his stick to not fall

I'd appreciate not pushing the level of sarcasm.. I mean, he's in the NHL and we're not. He must be doing something right? Just because we expect all our players to become Mario Lemieux, it doesn't mean that they can't become good NHL players and provide something else that the team desperately lacked previously (grit and energy).

Old
01-14-2004, 05:05 AM
Joe Maximum

Quote:
Originally Posted by patp77
I'd appreciate not pushing the level of sarcasm.. I mean, he's in the NHL and we're not. He must be doing something right? Just because we expect all our players to become Mario Lemieux, it doesn't mean that they can't become good NHL players and provide something else that the team desperately lacked previously (grit and energy).
Where do you see sarcarm in my post? Seriously, it puts a smile to my face every time I see Jason leaning on his stick for support. And while it isn't the most graceful display of skating, I do realize what Wardo brings to the team, where in my post does it say I expect Mario Lemieux? you're putting words in my mouth, and responding to your own version of what I said, relax man...

Old
01-14-2004, 05:55 AM
Istvan

Quote:

Old
01-14-2004, 06:05 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet
Watching him skate tonight has reminded me of the way Claude Provost use to skate
I actually think Provost was a better skater with better balance. I like Ward's grit and hustle but I believe he is the worst skater to play for the Habs that I can think of. Heck, Kordic [r.i.p.] was a better skater.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:08 AM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
When we talk about the great defensive forwards we always go to Gainey, but before that there was Provost, maybe the best shutdown forward there was. Ask Bobby Hull about Provost. Ward has to be judged by more than his abilities. He seems awkward but remains effective. While he was far from smooth on 2 on 1's, he gets them. He anticipates well and is on the puck. Good things happen when he's on the ice. The good things just aren't stylish. Tremblay and Lambert weren't much to look at either and they turned in decent careers.
Ralph Backstrom also did a nice job on defence back then but I agree about Provost.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:35 AM
Habnot

I was impressed with Ward last night. He got 16 min.+ of ice time and he was effective. He gets involved and to his credit -probably understood his offensive limitations - has taken to his defensive role with motivation. He also seems to completely understand Julien's system and is quickly becoming one of our most effective penalty killers. He play with intelligence.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:05 AM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Where do you see sarcarm in my post? Seriously, it puts a smile to my face every time I see Jason leaning on his stick for support. And while it isn't the most graceful display of skating, I do realize what Wardo brings to the team, where in my post does it say I expect Mario Lemieux? you're putting words in my mouth, and responding to your own version of what I said, relax man...
The sarcasm that I detect is you stating that Jason uses his stick for support. I'm not sure about you but I am pretty sure Jason has passed the point of using his stick for support if he's made it to the NHL.

As for the Lemieux comment, it wasn't directed at you specifically which is why I said "we" as in "most Habs fans" expect all prospects to become first liners instead of saying "you expect him to become Mario Lemieux".

Either way, I'm glad to hear that you don't have those expectations but it was just my frustration with posters in general more or less mocking players. Maybe I just caught the wrong poster.

Old
01-14-2004, 07:08 AM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
ward for prez

this guy is awesome!!!!

so what if he ain't the prettiest skater on the ice, he does his good and does it well i belive. he has good hockey sense and he loves the game

go ward go!!

ps. WATCH FIGURE SKATING IF YOUR LOOKING FOR FORM AND ELEGANCE.

Old
01-14-2004, 08:19 AM
Howie Morenz

Quote:

Old
01-14-2004, 08:35 AM
habfan4

Ward's skating has never been smooth, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to change.

IMO, despite his skating, in the last couple of games he's been responsible on D and has done some admirable work on the PK. I'd like him to go the net with more authority and look for the pass more often, but other than that, I've liked what I've seen from Ward. *Lets not forget he was out for 6 weeks with a broken ankle (foot?).*

Old
01-14-2004, 09:27 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan
I actually think Provost was a better skater with better balance. I like Ward's grit and hustle but I believe he is the worst skater to play for the Habs that I can think of. Heck, Kordic [r.i.p.] was a better skater.
Dagenais!

Old
01-14-2004, 09:42 AM
tinyzombies

Ward isn't pretty, but if you look at Larry Robinson, Mark Messier or John Leclair early in their careers, they couldn't skate worth a lick either and the first two turned into excellent skaters and Leclair became solid on his feet.

Ward isn't a guy to carry the puck or create, but he's a decent passer and has good hands around the net and is good defensively and along the boards and has character and grit.

Julien will give him an extended look, you can be sure.

Old
01-14-2004, 09:48 AM
Netro

I like Ward, but let's call a spade a spade. He does not have enough talent to be a bonafide top 6 forward in the NHL.

I would be as pleased as punch if he developed into a solid 3rd liner with time on the PK, contributing @10 goals a year, especially at his size (or should I say height). And I think he will over.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Joe Maximum

I honestly mean no sarcasm, I definately recall seeing Ward on the verge of falling then using his stick. I mean you can tell when a guy is leaning on his stick, especially when as I mentionned he doesn't play the puck momentarely. But still, I love the guy, and he's a great grinder for us

Old
01-14-2004, 06:30 PM
SpezNc

His Skating is not graceful. But while his skating limit him, his skating are still effective.

He got a breakway tonigth...

Great game by Ward defensively tonigth...

Old
01-14-2004, 06:33 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Jason Ward will never do anything to harm a hockey team. Everything he does has a positive impact on the ice, and the goals will come as long as he keeps his head up and doesn't get down on himself for blowing an oppurtunity here and there.

Old
01-14-2004, 06:50 PM
SpezNc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
Jason Ward will never do anything to harm a hockey team. Everything he does has a positive impact on the ice, and the goals will come as long as he keeps his head up and doesn't get down on himself for blowing an oppurtunity here and there.
Exactly...

He will never hurt you but help you. He is valuable.... even on a 3rd or 4th line..

I'd like to see him on the firts two lines but I prefer see him excel on a defensive role rather then struggle on an offensive one...

Old
01-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Drunk World Order

I wish u guys would stop with the bs...the guy has been very solid for us...he obviously bull legged...I don't believe anyone here has played in a NHL game...or a AHL game...and he has...infact he was the MVP of the AHL last year...and alot of good players have came form the ahl so obviously he has skill...he hasn't hurt us in anyway...and has been a positive factor in most games...so I wish you so called hab fans would get of his ass!!!

Closed Thread