HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Flower Play is killing us!

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2004, 07:54 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

vCash: 500
The Flower Play is killing us!

Going 10 for our last 81 Opportunities is piss poor pathetic, take away the AHL Pens 3 for 7 and its an even more anemic 7 for 74. WTF is going on.

What changes would you make to improve our great Power Play?

Old
01-14-2004, 08:52 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Why do we dump the puck in? If we would just carry it in, we could actually have offensive zone possession.

Also, offensive zone faceoffs are killing us. We are getting better, I supposed, but our faceoffs have been subpar all year.

Old
01-14-2004, 08:55 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Because defenses don't respect our forwards enough to back up so they're standing up at the blueline forcing us to dump.

Old
01-14-2004, 09:29 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
Because defenses don't respect our forwards enough to back up so they're standing up at the blueline forcing us to dump.
You're right, but dumping the puck on the PP is getting old to me.

Old
01-14-2004, 09:44 AM
smashviller

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
You're right, but dumping the puck on the PP is getting old to me.

me too bro.

you cant go 0-8 on a PP and expect to pull off 2 points.

Old
01-14-2004, 11:02 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
Going 10 for our last 81 Opportunities is piss poor pathetic, take away the AHL Pens 3 for 7 and its an even more anemic 7 for 74. WTF is going on.

What changes would you make to improve our great Power Play?

Sign Ronning...oops too late.

BTW I was kidding

Old
01-14-2004, 11:58 AM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
install a new system, it's too predictable and too easy for a Dman to make a play on the puck..

Old
01-14-2004, 01:44 PM
lstcyr

I think we dump because we're faster than the other team. We seem to get possession more than we don't. It's what we do with it afterwards that bugs me.

Old
01-14-2004, 02:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr
I think we dump because we're faster than the other team. We seem to get possession more than we don't. It's what we do with it afterwards that bugs me.

honestly, i kind of agree with this. our forecheck is good enough and we're fast enough to make it work. i actually thought we carried in TOO much last night, and were getting killed on it. when we did get possession of the puck in the offensive zone, we'd lose it...but that was more because of the level of play we were at last night. when we're on....it works. i think that if there's something to complain about, it's too much waiting for the "perfect" shot. too much dancing with the puck, too much fancy passing. we just need to put the puck on net more.

Old
01-14-2004, 02:10 PM
lstcyr

There are times when we seem to control the play and then there are times (like last night) when we're on the power play and it seems like the other team has more players than we do on the ice.

Old
01-14-2004, 10:03 PM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Beating LA too the pucks we dumped in on the PP was pointless. They attacked the puck carrier all night long and forced the turnovers (and not just on PP). We need to be quicker. Donít wait for the perfect opening for a shot, itís too predictable that Zidlicky is who we try to open up for a shot. Blast it from the point (or wherever), crash the nets, get the rebounds. Donít stand around waiting for a shot; donít try to skate in with the puck if we have a clear shot - just shoot the damn thing; oh and PARK SOMEONE IN FRONT OF THE NET!!!!

Old
01-15-2004, 06:51 AM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I think we have mentioned this before, or maybe it was a different board. I don't like how on the PP we have Zidlicky moving down the to right/left half-boards and shooting from basically no angle. I know it could create rebounds, but I'm much more a fan of the 2 point men system we had with Timonen and Zids working the puck between each other at the points, and either setting the other up for a shot or making a pass to someone who creaped in the slot. This gave Zids the open ice look for him to make those great passes, and also allows him to cheat down every so often, getting behind the defense. The way it is now, the D knows where he is, and therefore blocks the passing lanes to him, and if he does get off a shot it is likely at a very bad angle. I'm no PP tactition, but I can tell there is a difference of how the PP works when those two guys are moved postionally.

Old
01-15-2004, 11:57 AM
lstcyr

Maybe we're seeing a different look because the other teams know how we've operated and are setting up to take that away. You can't keep doing the same thing in a pro league because there are too many people studying what you do. If you don't keep changing it somewhat, you become too predictable. And we're not talented enough to be predictable.

Old
01-15-2004, 12:07 PM
Nashville420

vCash:
this is my first post here...so hello everyone.

I had to step in on this thread, because alot of people are wondering why they are dumping the puck instead of carrying it in...

with every team in the league (almost) trying to become the next NJ Devils and switch to some form of the trap.....it has become necessary to do it. I don't think it's the wrong move...but I do see the Preds on the fence about how they want to dump. I am a firm believer in you either have to dump it so soft that it falls in between the defense and the goalie....or you need to slam it around the boards so hard, that the goalie can't make a play on it.

If they aren't going to carry it in, then they should alter the way they dump it.
just my opinion..

nice place you have here by the way.

Old
01-15-2004, 12:09 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Of course they know what they are doing, that's the reason it's so sorry, we should try switching midway every other power play to a different style.

Old
01-15-2004, 12:10 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

One of the reasons that I enjoyed seeing Fiddler here is because he seemed likehe d a good job skating the puck in instead of rattling it around and back out of the zone, especially on the PP.

Old
01-15-2004, 02:33 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
I've always been a fan of just sticking with what works. Pitino won't stop his run-n-gun style of basketball, even though teams know its coming. When I played soccer, I took the team's penalty kicks, and I went the same time every time, even the I knew the goalie knew which way I was going. Of course, this could be totally different, but it just seems when we revert to the old ways of having the 2 d-men at the points and 1 offensive man working the halfboards we had more sucess. If a team sets up to cheat a play or pass, there should always be another option somewhere. Maybe I'm thinking too much basketball tacics?

Closed Thread