HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How important is conditioning for hockey ?

Old
11-04-2007, 09:58 AM
ccourneya

vCash: 500
How important is conditioning for hockey ?

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this topic ? I personally could work on it. I think an average player can outplay a good player if he works a lot more on working out and getting in shape ?

ccourneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 11:22 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Conditioning is very important, Havlat should be a great example of this.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 11:23 AM
ccourneya

Yeah man. Im just wondering what are good foods for hockey ? I think I got to focus on conditioning and healthy foods. Like all the NHL players are in such good shape.

ccourneya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Carbohydrates before games, pastas, chicken, rice, etc.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 01:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

One of the most important physical attributes in hockey is conditioning. You don't have to be muscular, you don't have to be tall but you have to be in shape.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 04:35 PM
RobertKron

Once you get to a high level, where everyone is, or should be, in great shape, I'd say it's pretty damn important.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 0
Conditioning is very important. It adds an edge to every aspect of your game. It doesn't replace talent or technical skill, but it certainly enhances it tremendously.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

VERY important. It's the difference between making a play at the end of a long shift and turning over the puck, or being able to beat out the icing call, or killing off an entire penalty versus letting the other team beat you to the puck.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2007, 08:49 PM
MikeD

Conditioning also plays an important role while you sit the bench recovering from your shift. With poor conditioning, your recovery is much more limited.

Poor conditioning also leads to depletion of energy much quicker. That in turn leads to mental lapses as well as poor physical performance.

If your a serious hockey player or goalie, your conditioning and a good understanding of the energy systems that drive your game, should be as important as any skills work you spend time on. They go hand in hand.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 12:49 PM
predfan24

Conditioning I would argue is the most important part of on ice hockey success. If you want to be successful the whole game. I mean I look at myself. I'm in terrible shape. This is how all my games go. The first period I am dynamite. The second I am ok. Third period I turn into one of the worst players on the ice. I feel like if some even touches me I'm going down. My legs are that fricken tired. I prob should get myslef back in shape but heh whatever it's just rec league. I mean I gotta save some energy to down some beer after the game!!!

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRoad View Post
Carbohydrates before games, pastas, chicken, rice, etc.
Yes, but lots of protein in the interim. Steak, fish, beans, etc.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Twist and Shout

Conditioning is the most important aspect for on-ice success. If you get tired after making a rush, you won't be able to do much else on that shift. Likewise, if you're constantly having shifts which drain your energy, you won't have much left after the 1st period.

I stepped on the ice with equipment for the first time in a year (one which was filled with making unhealthy eating choices and very little exercise) today, and I could barely skate a lap around the rink without running out of breath. It should take a month at least to get back into some sort of game shape, and with me playing my first game in two weeks, it's gonna be a long few games to start the season.

An average "fit" player can certainly outplay a skilled "out-of-shape" player.

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Cujo31

Echo that-conditioning is extremly important. I just finished Peter Twists new book on hockey conditioning-good read on the subject. Some good hockey specific routines in it, both on and off ice.

Oshawa library has it if anyones from east GTA.

Cujo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Joe Cole

I think it is pretty well unanimous that conditioning is very important.

That said, a great player that is a less in condition will always be better then a ordinary player in great shape.

The reason is simple, a great player knows when to expend energy, where to be, what to do. An ordinary player wastes energy chasing players and pucks and getting out of position. I once played against Dicky Redmond when he was 60 years old, and I was around 25. Let me tell you, an out of shape, older player with NHL talent will smoke a young guy who could not get into real PRO hockey.

All things being equal, being in shape is an advantage. The worse your talent, the better shape you should be in.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 10:38 PM
saveourpens

its more important than it used to be, but if you have crazy talent, than its not as important.

i know its an incredible case, but look at lemieux, I heard something like he didn't even see as set of weights before he was drafted.

but to echo others, it definetley gives you an edge

saveourpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Everest

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 12:45 AM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveourpens View Post

i know its an incredible case, but look at lemieux, I heard something like he didn't even see a set of weights before he was drafted.

Weights are not part of the Conditioning equation. Hence the term STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING. Two distinctly different aspects. He may have not been the strongest horse in the stable but I bet ya he could run the distance with any of them. That is what conditioning is about....

Mad skills such as Ovechkin or Crosby may get you noticed but if you cant skate an entire practice and drag butt a half hour in, think they would get called back for a 2nd day? Lacking skills but being able to GO for an entire practice, start to finish, will almost always give you that 2nd day.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 02:17 AM
Ulic

Think of how you skate at the start of the game.

Now think about the edge it would give you to be able to skate like that in the 3rd.

Conditioning is important.

Ulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Rem
I am a ham radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveourpens View Post
its more important than it used to be, but if you have crazy talent, than its not as important.

i know its an incredible case, but look at lemieux, I heard something like he didn't even see as set of weights before he was drafted.

Weights can have nothing to do with conditioning.

but the answer to the OP's question is whats been said - its very important. Doesn't matter what level you're at, it matters. I play in an adult rec league approaching my second year of playing, and for the last few months I've been conditioning myself (off and on), and during the periods that I was training I was MUCH better on the ice. More conditioning = more energy and less fatigue, which = not resorting to sloppy play and posture. If your endurance is good, and you've trained yourself to recover during shifts you'll be able to utilize your skills throughout the entire game - not just the first period.

I would consider looking in to interval training. Google it!

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 01:26 AM
MikeC44

I think the saying goes:
"Good conditioning won't turn a good player into a great player, but poor conditioning will turn a great player into only a good player."

Aside from that, there's also something to be said for being in 'hockey shape'. I'm not in great shape, probably never will be, and when I've been off the ice completely for a couple of weeks, no matter what other physical activity I've been doing, I feel like a bag of crap for that first ice session back. But once I get a couple of games in, I don't feel so bad, and don't feel like I need an oxygen tank on the bench.

MikeC44 is offline   Reply With Quote