HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Smid?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-10-2007, 02:45 AM
  #1
Skyguard
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Ireland
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
Smid?

Hey guys... just curious what you think of Smid so far... I haven't seen any Oilers games this year... what's the word on him?

Skyguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 02:47 AM
  #2
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,685
vCash: 500
Should have made the team out of camp, will stay the rest of the year now that Greene is hurt.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 02:51 AM
  #3
Skyguard
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Ireland
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Should have made the team out of camp, will stay the rest of the year now that Greene is hurt.
I heard the only reason he was sent down was something to do with the fact he could be sent down without being claimed off waivers or something like that... is that true?

Skyguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 02:58 AM
  #4
Real_Estate-Agent
Registered User
 
Real_Estate-Agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Should have made the team out of camp, will stay the rest of the year now that Greene is hurt.
Did start the season in the minors so "the game would slow down" - great improvement shown since the emergency call up...

Will be a "top 4" in two years from now (when Smid is 23 years old) if handled properly... Will probably be a "top 2" on the team within 4 years.

I expect Smid to be the #1 penalty killer fairly soon - the Oilers do not need him to get points - but if injuries occur in the future, he has offense talent...
.

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 03:06 AM
  #5
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,119
vCash: 500
I've been very impressed with Smid. The entire Northwest has a really nice group of great young D, and Smid is definetly near the top of that group. In terms of top-end potential I think a lot of real homers on this board even underestimate him. I remember when he was drafting reading scouting reports of this guy and it was revealed in THN's mag that he was considered a top 6 or 7 pick by more than a few teams.

My favorite thing about Smid is he's got a bit of a mean streak. I want to see him in a few years when he gets strong, I think he will be the #1 D-man for Edmonton 'lest Lowe moves him.

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 03:19 AM
  #6
Cerebral
Registered User
 
Cerebral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral View Post
I've been very impressed with Smid. The entire Northwest has a really nice group of great young D, and Smid is definetly near the top of that group. In terms of top-end potential I think a lot of real homers on this board even underestimate him. I remember when he was drafting reading scouting reports of this guy and it was revealed in THN's mag that he was considered a top 6 or 7 pick by more than a few teams.

My favorite thing about Smid is he's got a bit of a mean streak. I want to see him in a few years when he gets strong, I think he will be the #1 D-man for Edmonton 'lest Lowe moves him.
I really like what Smid brings to the table and I think he'll be a top pairing defenceman regardless of whether or not he develops a strong offensive game. Truth be told, I really like the looks of Edmonton's future on defence with Pitkanen, Smid, Gilbert and Greene along with a wild card in Grebeshkov and some great young prospects like Chorney and Petry.

Add in a couple of veterans (Staios and Souray at the moment) and Edmonton should be solid along the blueline for a long time. At the least, the Oilers have a number of young puckmovers both on the team and in the system so we shouldn't be searching for one for a long time.

__________________
Burn Girl Prom Queen
Cerebral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 03:52 AM
  #7
voxel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguard View Post
I heard the only reason he was sent down was something to do with the fact he could be sent down without being claimed off waivers or something like that... is that true?
Kinda of...

Tom Gilbert outplayed Smid in TC / preseason. Gilbert is out current young D stud. He's also 3 years older.

I hated Smid last year, but wow - he's bigger and more dependable (no more stupid 5 foot passes, doesn't panic 10 times a game, etc.) now. Both Gilbert + Smid could be sent down to the AHL without being claimed off waivers.

Statistically speaking, Smid has been on ice for many Oiler goals which bodes well for his future point production even though right now he has 1 point. He leads the team in +/- with 1. My guess is that Smid becomes a 0.25 PPG player at the current Edmonton scoring rate.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 07:33 AM
  #8
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
30 point top pairing D man is in this kid's future for sure IMO.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 10:47 AM
  #9
crackercats
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
Everyone's pretty much covered it. Ladi is playing some pretty unbelievable hockey short of his 100th NHL game, and the thing that impresses the most is poise. He's been 1-on-1 with Iginla and Marleau, he's been pressured wildly on the fort-check, as teams did to us all last year, and I've yet to see him panic with or without the puck.

crackercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 11:22 AM
  #10
Fayne Gretzky
Registered User
 
Fayne Gretzky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,454
vCash: 500
Smid has got the greatest moves behind his own net. He never cracks under pressure and throws it up the boards, he's always deking the forecheckers out of their jocks.

Colorado had a really aggressive forecheck and he dominated them every time.

Smid's really impressing me this year. Plus, he looks huge!

Fayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 11:59 AM
  #11
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,185
vCash: 500
I think Smid's offense will pick up too as time goes on. That end to end rush vs. Colorado was really Neidermayer-esque, not too many D-men can do stuff like that.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 12:10 PM
  #12
BleedOil83
Registered User
 
BleedOil83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think Smid's offense will pick up too as time goes on. That end to end rush vs. Colorado was really Neidermayer-esque, not too many D-men can do stuff like that.
He's always shown the ability to rush the puck too. Last year he just seemed too timid, especially towards the end (rightfully so). The other thing I've noticed lately is that he's able to get the puck through and on net alot more efficiently. Last year he had an absolutely brutal shot, only because it never got through.

Thank you Ladi, for telling everyone on this board (and, god forbid, KL) to take your trade rumours/proposals and shove them. The one and only scenario that I wouldn't be choked to see Smid leave is if there's a top 20 player coming back. While few of our forward prospects are blue chippers and seem to ooze "boom or bust", I don't see how our D isn't one of the best in the league in 5 years, give or take.

BleedOil83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 12:10 PM
  #13
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 500
As said above, Smid would have made this team out of camp but Oil management needed to protect NHL waiver eligible talent. They wanted to thin the herd via trade and couldn't. Thus a short term ticket to Springfield.

Smid earned his NHL spurs last year being force fed big minutes on a brutal team... as a teenager. He wobbled at times but that adversity and his attitude in overcoming being thrown in the deep end accellerated the kid's learning curve. He will be a legtimate top four d-man very quickly and signs point upward to top two by the time he enters peak years. LOTS to like about the kid.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 12:18 PM
  #14
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,589
vCash: 500
Smid has played excellent so far. His shot is harder and often gets through now, his defensive positioning, speed and reaction time have all improved, plus the extra muscle with no loss in mobility. It's a beautiful thing to see. Count me in the "glad the Smid rumours have died down" club. I hated the thought of losing him.

He's looking quite good right now. Very glad he's back up here, I'm hoping he's seen his last of the A. He's very calming back there, even at 21. He's going to be a great long term Oiler.

Plus, love the newly added intelligent mean streak.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 12:19 PM
  #15
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,820
vCash: 500
The thing I've really liked about Smid so far is that his been more physical and not backing down from anyone in front of our net.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 12:27 PM
  #16
Jet
Moderator
Chevel-takesadayoff
 
Jet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Glasgow
Country: Scotland
Posts: 17,234
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
As said above, Smid would have made this team out of camp but Oil management needed to protect NHL waiver eligible talent. They wanted to thin the herd via trade and couldn't. Thus a short term ticket to Springfield.

Smid earned his NHL spurs last year being force fed big minutes on a brutal team... as a teenager. He wobbled at times but that adversity and his attitude in overcoming being thrown in the deep end accellerated the kid's learning curve. He will be a legtimate top four d-man very quickly and signs point upward to top two by the time he enters peak years. LOTS to like about the kid.
Yep... most on this board thought we got pwned in the Pronger trade.. but I beg to differ. Its funny how things change, that's why you can't evaluate trades like this immediately after they happened.

Does Anaheim make this trade again in retrospect? Absolutely! Pronger helped win them the cup. But so do we IMHO. In 2 years when Pronger starts to show his age and Smid is considered one of the best young defenceman in the game, the tide will turn... AND if we can ever sign him long term past his RFA years it will be a no brainer win for us... of course alot of that hinges on him fulfilling his promise but im a positive person

__________________
The Olympic Line
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 12:38 PM
  #17
macco
Registered User
 
macco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: edmonton
Posts: 588
vCash: 500
I dont know who this Smid kid is, but i've been liking the play of that Nicholas Smidstrom guy.

macco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 12:40 PM
  #18
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Smid has played excellent so far. His shot is harder and often gets through now, his defensive positioning, speed and reaction time have all improved, plus the extra muscle with no loss in mobility. It's a beautiful thing to see.
I would add less panic and far better decision making to that list.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 12:48 PM
  #19
Behind Enemy Lines
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
Yep... most on this board thought we got pwned in the Pronger trade.. but I beg to differ. Its funny how things change, that's why you can't evaluate trades like this immediately after they happened.

Does Anaheim make this trade again in retrospect? Absolutely! Pronger helped win them the cup. But so do we IMHO. In 2 years when Pronger starts to show his age and Smid is considered one of the best young defenceman in the game, the tide will turn... AND if we can ever sign him long term past his RFA years it will be a no brainer win for us... of course alot of that hinges on him fulfilling his promise but im a positive person
I happen to agree. The return on Pronger should be evaluated more clearly after three years or so. This was an investment in the team's future (and hopeful of improving its present with Lupul). Now that Lupul begat Pitkanen and the other pieces of the puzzle we'll see how these players feed into this team's core of young talent.

Rob Ramage once helped win Calgary's only Cup. The price was a kid who couldn't skate well, had a famous Dad, and a wicked shot. Brett Hull tipped the deal long term but Calgary won its Cup via acquiring this missing piece.

There was no way this team could win a Pronger trade short term, imo. They opted instead to stock the cubbards with two NHL ready youngsters and a bushel of picks. All with the intent to try to remain competitive now but with an eye to build a true, sustaining Cup contender with its emergent young core.

We'll see how and if this trade tilts favourably in a couple of years. Smid, I believe, will be a top dman pretty quickly.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 04:08 PM
  #20
NMK
Registered User
 
NMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,108
vCash: 500
Smid is a stud. He slows things down in our zone, makes beautiful passes, has a great stride, and reads the play very well. He's probably one of our top defencemen now, and could easily be in our top 4 when Pitts and Shelly return. Damn his 2-way contract, and damn Roy's 1 way contract.

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 05:20 PM
  #21
macco
Registered User
 
macco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: edmonton
Posts: 588
vCash: 500
Smidstrom-> +1
All Other Oilers-> -74

macco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 05:23 PM
  #22
The Forechecker
Registered User
 
The Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Alberta, stay out.
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,102
vCash: 500
I think a Dmans patience and ability not to panic and fire the puck into the other teams hands is a good example of what he can be. Smid shows patience and has great awareness.

The Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 07:25 PM
  #23
ladislavsmidfan
 
ladislavsmidfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 275
vCash: 500
Everyone's pretty much covered it but the one thing that amazes me about him is his calmness in his own zone, it's almost Pronger-like. He doesn't make rash decisions ala Grebs (although I understand Grebs is still a rookie and will inevitably make mistakes). It's amazing to watch and I'm never scared that he'll screw up when he's out there.

It seems like he'll be a fan favourite in the years to come, he already has a strong fan base in his first couple of years!

ladislavsmidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 07:27 PM
  #24
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,661
vCash: 500
I still think Smid is going to be our #1 Defenceman one day.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2009, 12:16 AM
  #25
Skyguard
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Ireland
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
Thanks for all the comments on Smid guys... it's much appreciated!

Skyguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.