HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Dumb penalties

Old
11-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Hawksfan2828

vCash: 500
Dumb penalties

What are some of the dumbest penalties you have seen taken over the years. Im not talking about a bad penalty at the wrong time but stupid things.

I remember durring the confrence finals between the hawks and oilers in 89-90 steve smith had about 3-4 oilers around him along the boards so steve smith bends down and picks up the puck and throws it into the stands....i think it was game 5 in the 3rd period. The hawks had no chance coming back at all being down 8-3 or something with only a few minutes left in the 3rd but, pick up the puck and throw it over the glass?

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Passchendaele

Bertuzzi on Moore?

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Steelhead16

Marty McSorley's stick...........twice!!

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Wow, some real original, well thought out posts here

First one that came to mind was Patrick Roy in the 1997-98 season vs the Rangers, when he picked up the puck in his crease and stickhandled it all the way past the red line...getting the rarely (if ever?) invoked "goalie past the red line" penalty.

Now that I think about it, Roy sure had his share of hissy fits...

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbalkint View Post
Wow, some real original, well thought out posts
Quote:
here

First one that came to mind was Patrick Roy in the 1997-98 season vs the Rangers, when he picked up the puck in his crease and stickhandled it all the way past the red line...getting the rarely (if ever?) invoked "goalie past the red line" penalty.

McSorley cost the Kings the Stanley Cup.
Roy cost the Habs????

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 12:05 AM
Doctor No
Retired

Quote:
Wow, some real original, well thought out posts here
Make sure that you get your money back.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
[B]

McSorley cost the Kings the Stanley Cup.
Roy cost the Habs????
Sorry dude, yeah it was more directed at the Bertuzzi guy above you, I guess I overreacted a little cause this thread was clearly supposed to be about "bizarre" penalties, to the exclusion of obvious bonehead suspension-worthy penalties (god knows there's enough threads about those).

I almost forgot about McSorley's "other" stick incident. While I wouldn't say that it cost the Kings the series per se, it was clearly the turning point.

Old
11-11-2007, 04:16 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:

first one that came to mind.

I remember watching that and thinking, "What the f___ just happened?!?!?"
It was almost surreal, beacause that was the last thing I expected to happen.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 12:35 PM
jiggs 10

I remember way back in the mid-70's, some player threw his stick at (I think) Red Berenson as he was going in on an empty net breakaway. That's an automatic goal, even if you don't hit the guy! I guess it was frustration, but what was he thinking? That's something you do on the pond when you are 10 (and even then you usually get some looks, if not a thumping!), not as a professional.

I remember the Roy play for the Av's, too. That was strange! He had to know the rule about crossing the red line, right? And considering he is not the best skater or puckhandler in the world, it was doubly weird.

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 03:52 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

In the deciding game of the 1979 NHL semi-finals against the Montreal Canadiens, Boston Bruins were called the for too many men on the ice (the culprit was Terry O'Reilly), allowing the Canadiens to score on the ensuing powerplay. Montreal would then win the game in overtime on a goal by Yvon Lambert

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 04:52 PM
kent_carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10 View Post
I remember way back in the mid-70's, some player threw his stick at (I think) Red Berenson as he was going in on an empty net breakaway. That's an automatic goal, even if you don't hit the guy! I guess it was frustration, but what was he thinking? That's something you do on the pond when you are 10 (and even then you usually get some looks, if not a thumping!), not as a professional.

I remember the Roy play for the Av's, too. That was strange! He had to know the rule about crossing the red line, right? And considering he is not the best skater or puckhandler in the world, it was doubly weird.
He was'nt the only one, Ulf Samuelsson did the same against the Nordiques, but he also threw his gloves. Maybe there's a youtube of that glorious moment.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Players throwing sticks on empty-net breakaways is goofy, but understandable, it's just kind of a "screw it, I give up" move done out of frustration.

What I don't get is goalies throwing their sticks, often in situations where it's far from a sure goal (e.g. Nabokov this year vs. the Stars, Hasek pulled it once vs. the Pens in '96, I'm positive he's done it another time). Why? It's a sure penalty shot, not to mention a thrown stick isn't exactly a daunting obstacle (mask or blocker, perhaps?). And don't tell me "it maybe just slipped out", hard slapshots rarely manage to knock a stick out, surely an NHL goalie never has his stick just fly out by accident.

Old
11-12-2007, 05:49 PM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

Game 6 of the 2006 ECF. Carolina leads Buffalo in game 3-2 and it's OT. Doug Weight, for reasons beyond me, decides to board a Buffalo defender. Buffalo scores on the ensuing PP and forces Game 7

A few weeks ago, there was a game with New Jersey visiting the Penguins. Both teams are on line changes, but the Penguins change faster and a get 2-on-1. The Penguins score, but the goal is waived off. Why? Because Crosby, who was supposed to get off the ice, stayed on instead, skated over to the New Jersey bench, and got into a facewashing match with Dainius Zubrus. The Pens were called for too many men on the ice

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote