HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who are you guys looking at for the 2008 draft?

Old
11-11-2007, 03:00 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
Who are you guys looking at for the 2008 draft?

I, for one, would love Kyle Beach or Mikkel Bodker.

Bodker is an offensive dynamo and Beach is just plain crazy (think a younger, meaner, better Sean Avery).

And both could end up being available in the low 20s possibly.

Any players any of you guys like so far?

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 03:07 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Bodker would be a good pick by me.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Jay88*

If NYR keeps winning, I could see them picking about 23/24. So if Beach is available,which he most likley will not be. Anyway if he is grab him, if not well then i dont know.

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

I'd love to add Beach.

His stock has fallen a little this year, but I'd take him in a heart beat. Having said that, I can't see him being available when we pick unless we make a trade.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Pizza

I heard an issue w/Beach might be his skating. Any truth to that?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I say go for high-risk, high-return players.

Think back to Dube/Savard. Both were high risk, high return.

One became a star, one never made it. But Savard alone is MUCH better than 2 easily interchangeable third liners.

Same for Swanson/York... York isn't as good as Savard, but again, far preferable to have him than Malhotra.

And "safe" players bust almost as much. In 1996, we drafted Brown and Jarvis in the first two rounds. Both were "safe" defensemen who were supposed to easily make the NHL, but did not have star potential.

So from the start, we were guaranteed that we won't get a star... and then on top of that, both busted... Neil thought he got us a pair or 3-5 defensemen... instead, he got a pair or nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

Bodker is an offensive dynamo and Beach is just plain crazy (think a younger, meaner, better Sean Avery).

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Also, I would love to add another offensive defenseman. I am not convinced Pasta will be capable of playing on the top pairing. If we have two Pasta-like players, hopefully one of them will be the next Zubov.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 04:39 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
I say go for high-risk, high-return players.

Think back to Dube/Savard. Both were high risk, high return.

One became a star, one never made it. But Savard alone is MUCH better than 2 easily interchangeable third liners.

Same for Swanson/York... York isn't as good as Savard, but again, far preferable to have him than Malhotra.

And "safe" players bust almost as much. In 1996, we drafted Brown and Jarvis in the first two rounds. Both were "safe" defensemen who were supposed to easily make the NHL, but did not have star potential.

So from the start, we were guaranteed that we won't get a star... and then on top of that, both busted... Neil thought he got us a pair or 3-5 defensemen... instead, he got a pair or nothing.
Swanson wasn't drafted by the Rangers. He was acquired from the Sharks when Smith dumped McSorely after the 1996 season.

Jarvis was a 2nd round pick in 1997. Daniel Goneau was taken in the 2nd round of the Jeff Brown draft of 1996.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

vCash: 529
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I thought Beech was considered a Top 5 pick. Has his stock fallen that far?

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2007, 05:16 PM
dank

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=438159

merge, merge, merge

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 03:16 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I heard an issue w/Beach might be his skating. Any truth to that?
I think the bigger issue is that some people aren't as sold on his "personality."

I think some team is going to be thrilled to get him. Size, snarl and scoring.

Old
11-12-2007, 03:44 PM
DarthSather99

<-------this guy

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 03:47 PM
In The Flesh

I really don't follow any leagues outside of the NHL or the Wolfpack. I don't get into the draft because you don't see the players for like 4 more years, vs. the NFL draft where you can see them that coming season.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 03:52 PM
NYR469

mckeens has beach #5 and i haven't really gotten into the 08 draft too much at this point but this thread is the first time i've ever seen him mentioned outside the top 10

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 05:27 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I'd love to add Beach.

His stock has fallen a little this year, but I'd take him in a heart beat. Having said that, I can't see him being available when we pick unless we make a trade.
Is he similar to Getzlaf in play and also that he dropped a bit in his draft year?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2007, 06:00 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
I want one of those boom or bust offensive DIVAS when we pick. One of those high risk high reward offensive Dynamos that can score goals even if they play no defense. Preferably one of those Europeans from Sweden or Russia. You know, the guys that are small and shifty and score tons of goals. Guys in the Henrik Zetterberg mold who no one knew would be good when they were drafted. Hopefully we get one of these Swedes in the later rounds which is when you always obtain offensive dynamo swedes. Although if you can get them in the first, whatever, as long as he can put them in the net. We need to get lucky with more guys like Carl Hagelin although he isn't exactly an offensive Diva but in that you just know they are going to be Rangers when it is all said and done and be good players. And yes I already know that unless we trade him, Hagelin is the safest bet in this past draft to be a Ranger and this after seeing him play a couple of times. And of course I know nothing. But seriously now, wouldn't it be cool if we snatched a highly offensive DIVA in the later rounds... I mean Max Campbell fits that mold but I don't think he'll actually keep that up up here, I see him and he reminds me a lot of Kyle Wellwood who can skate and stickhandle but that doesn't always mean he can score. I want a DYNAMO... Man I love that word.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Pizza

Quote:
I think the bigger issue is that some people aren't as sold on his "personality."

I think some team is going to be thrilled to get him. Size, snarl and scoring.
Are we talking serious character flaws or just a kid with an attitude problem that has some growing up to do.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 08:29 AM
allrevvedup25

Whoever is available at #30 is who the Rangers will select after they will the Stanley Cup of course!!!!!!

allrevvedup25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 09:02 AM
War Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

I personally don't think Beach will be around when the Rangers (I'll play nice on your team's board ) make a selection in the draft. I would LOVE him on the Islanders though. Imagine what it would do to "our" rivalry.

Come to think of it...imagine Beach and Avery on the same line !

War Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 09:31 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I'm not looking at anyone in particular. I never would have imagined that Cherepanov would have slipped to us last season, so I can't even begin to predict who will be available when we pick (or project where we will pick). Also, I don't know that much about guys entering the draft. Any good links for those of us not so draft-inclined to check out? I know McKeen's, and the two scouting services, but anything else?

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 09:33 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I'm not looking at anyone in particular. I never would have imagined that Cherepanov would have slipped to us last season, so I can't even begin to predict who will be available when we pick (or project where we will pick). Also, I don't know that much about guys entering the draft. Any good links for those of us not so draft-inclined to check out? I know McKeen's, and the two scouting services, but anything else?
u can check out HF...they have a top 50 or something on their front page

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Is he similar to Getzlaf in play and also that he dropped a bit in his draft year?
I can see the similarities, though I admit I am still amazed that Getzlaf fell like he did.

Getzlaf's concerns were offensive upside. He was seen as being a longer term project that he turned out to be and he was also caught in a very depthful draft.

The two concerns I hear for Beach are skating and attitude. Personally, I don't see either as a problem. However I could see Beach being the kid who slips in this years draft.

Old
11-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Are we talking serious character flaws or just a kid with an attitude problem that has some growing up to do.
Depends on who you ask. Some people think the kid is a bit of a jerk others question his commitment to being his best.

There is also some debate as to his long term projection. Some people like him the way they liked Getzlaf or Mueller. Others see him more as Sean Avery with size.

Old
11-14-2007, 09:41 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
I can see the similarities, though I admit I am still amazed that Getzlaf fell like he did.

Getzlaf's concerns were offensive upside. He was seen as being a longer term project that he turned out to be and he was also caught in a very depthful draft.

The two concerns I hear for Beach are skating and attitude. Personally, I don't see either as a problem. However I could see Beach being the kid who slips in this years draft.
The trend of recent Ranger draft picks(1st round) lately have been players that "slipped". I do not think he will slip as low as the Rangers will be picking. We do have that extra 3rd this year and a glutton of almost ready prospects to deal "up".

Skating concerns seems to make a player drop significantly in the new NHL. He's be a steal around pick #15.

I'd love to get Beach!!! Cherepanov dropped to 17 so who knows.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 10:00 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I'd love to add Beach.

I agree. He would be a great-Cherapanov type of pick. But like you, I doubt that he would fall that much.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote