HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

'07-08 Springfield Falcons Thread Part 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2007, 03:12 PM
  #1
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,667
vCash: 500
'07-08 Springfield Falcons Thread Part 2

We finally have our own AHL team, and this will be this years equivallent of the WBS thread from the 06-07 season. Here are the potential players vying for roster spots with Springfield.

2/1/08 (7:00PM EST)

Springfield Falcons 4th Place Atlantic Division
47gp. 20-18-4-5 49points
127GF 143GA

@

Hartford Wolfpack 3rd Place Atlantic Division
47gp. 28-13-2-4 62points
147GF 120GA


To Watch the game or buy the season package
Click on the B2 logo on the left of the Springfield page

Official Springfield Falcons Website
http://www.falconsahl.com/index.php

To Listen to the Springfield games
http://www.masslive.com/falconslive/

Springfield's Schedule
http://www.falconsahl.com/index.php?id=333

To View All Of The Springfield Falcons Skaters Stats Go Here http://stats.theahl.com/stats/statdi...&singleSeason=

To View The Springfield Falcons Goaltender Stats Go Here
http://stats.theahl.com/stats/statdi...&singleSeason=

Springfield Falcons Players Detailed Stats
I will only be keeping detailed stats of our more promising prospects, not guys that are seemingly career AHLers in their mid-late 20's or older.

BBO's Top 5 Potential NHL Call-Ups At The Moment In Order
As Of 1/25/08

Name, Last Weeks Ranking, Potential Current NHL Role If Called Up
#1-Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers (#2) NHL Back-Up Goalie
#2-Liam Reddox (HM) NHL 4th Line Agitator With Skill
#3-Tim Sestito (#4) NHL 4th Line Energy Player
#4-Troy Bodie (Un-ranked) NHL 4th Line Energy Player and PKer
#5-Ryan O'Marra (Un-ranked) NHL 4th Line Energy Player
HM-Tie
Marc Pouliot (#5) NHL 3rd/4th Liner
Rob Schremp (#2) NHL 2nd liner/PP Specialist


Statistical leaders stats in Bold
Top 10 In The AHL Stats Are In RED


#44 LW/C Robbie Schremp
45gp. 11-32-43 108sog -2 36pim.
(ES 5-16-21 11-1st, 5-2nd Assists) (PP 6-16-22 9-1st, 7-2nd Assists)


#13 LW Viacheslav "Slava" Trukhno
36gp. 5-8-13 44sog -8 21pim.
(ES 2-3-5 1-1st, 2-2nd Assists) (PP 3-5-8 3-1st, 2-2nd Assists)


#27 LW Jean Francois Jacques
37gp. 11-14-25 82sog -13 63pim.
(ES 5-9-14 4-1st, 5-2nd Assists) (PP 5-4-9 1-1st, 3-2nd Assists)
(SH 1-1-2 0-1st, 0-2nd Assists)


#29 C Marc Antoine Pouliot
35gp. 12-16-28 97sog. -10 35pim.
(ES 5-8-13 6-1st, 2-2nd Assists) (PP 6-8-14 3-1st, 5-2nd Assists) (SH 1-0-1 0-1st, 0-2nd Assists)


#9 LW/RW Liam Reddox
36gp. 11-14-25 85sog +5 22pim.
(ES 10-8-18 6-1st, 2-2nd Assists) (PP 1-6-7 0-1st, 6-2nd Assists)


#19 RW/LW Troy Bodie
39gp. 6-5-11 58sog -3 63pim.
(ES 6-4-10 3-1st, 1-2nd Assists) (PP 0-1-1 1-1st, 0-2nd Assists)


#18 RW Colin McDonald
45gp. 9-10-19 112sog -14 33pim.
(ES 5-6-11 5-1st, 1-2nd Assists) (PP 4-4-8 3-1st, 1-2nd Assists)


#15 C/LW Tyler Spurgeon
12gp. 1-7-8 18sog +7 2pim.
(ES 1-4-5 2-1st, 2-2nd Assists) (PP 0-2-2 2-1st, 0-2nd Assists)
(PK 0-1-1 1-1st, 0-2nd Assists)


#25 D Danny Syvret
28gp. 1-6-7 28sog +2 6pim.
(ES 0-4-4 1-1st, 3-2nd Assists) (PP 1-2-3 1-1st, 1-2nd Assists)


#4 D Bryan Young
41gp. 0-2-2 15sog -11 33pim.
(ES 0-2-2 0-1st, 2-2nd Assists) (PP 0-0-0 0-1st, 0-2nd Assists)


#24 D Theo Peckham
27gp. 3-2-5 23sog -8 69pim.
(ES 2-1-3 0-1st, 1-2nd Assists) (PP 1-1-2 1-1st, 0-2nd Assists)


#36 D Mathieu Roy
18gp. 2(1EN)-6-8 43sog. -8 34pim.
(ES 1(1EN)-1-2 1-1st, 0-2nd Assists) (PP 1-4-5 3-1st, 1-2nd Assists)
(PK 0-1-1 0-1st, 1-2nd Assists)


#22 RW Ryan O'Marra
16gp. 2-2-4 18sog -1 15pim.
(ES 2-1-3 1-1st, 0-2nd Assists) (PP 0-1-1 0-1st, 1-2nd Assists)


#16 RW/LW Stephane Goulet
16gp. 1-3-4 10sog -1 12pim.
(ES 1-2-3 2-1st, 0-2nd Assists) (PP 0-1-1 0-1st, 1-2nd Assists)


#38 G Jeff Drouin Deslauriers
38gp. 18-14-5 2.64GAA 1129Sh 1036svs 93GA 0.918sv% 0SO

#40 G Devan Dubnyk
14gp. 2-8-0 3.30GAA 421sh 380svs 41GA 0.903sv% 0SO

INJURED #21 D Sebastien Bisaillon
21gp. 3-9-12 43sog. -3 10pim.
(ES 1-5-6 2-1st, 3-2nd Assists) (PP 2-4-6 1-1st, 3-2nd Assists)


INJURED #39 C/W Jacob MicFlikier
1gp. 0-0-0 3sog. -1 0pim.
(ES 0-0-0 0-1st, 0-2nd Assists) (PP 0-0-0 0-1st, 0-2nd Assists)


#41 C/LW/RW Patrick Thoresen
23gp. 12-8-20 51sog. +5 6pim.
(ES 6(1EN)-7-13 3-1st, 4-2nd Assists) (PP 4-1-5 1-1st, 0-2nd Assists)
(PK 2-0-2 0-1st, 0-2nd Assists)


#6 D Ladislav Smid
8gp. 1-4-5 9sog +3 15pim.
(ES 1-3-4 2-1st, 1-2nd Assists) (PP 0-1-1 1-1st, 0-2nd Assists)


#34 RW/LW Robert Nilsson
5gp. 2-2-4 21sog. +4 4pim.
(ES 2-2-4 2-1st, 0-2nd Assists) (PP 0-0-0 0-1st, 0-2nd Assists)


#28 RW Zack Stortini
4gp. 3-2-5 7sog. Ev 21pim.
(ES 3-0-3 0-1st, 0-2nd Assists) (PP 0-2-2 1-1st, 1-2nd Assists)


#10 LW/C Fredrik Johansson
25gp. 4-1-5 30sog. +7 8pim.
(ES 3-0-3 0-1st, 0-2nd Assists) (PP 1-1-2 0-1st, 1-2nd Assists)


Players whose names and stats are larger have been assigned to Springfield.
Players that I feel could see NHL time next year are in Blue.
Players that are or would be North American Professional Rookies are underlined

5 Centers

#29 Marc Antoine Pouliot 6-2 190lbs. 5/12/85 shoots R 3rd Year NA Pro
WBS AHL 33gp. 14-17-31 +2 4pim.
Edm. NHL 46gp. 4-7-11 18pim. -2


INJURED #39 Jacob MicFlickier 5-8 180lbs. 7/11/84 1st Year NA Pro
UNH NCAA 36gp. 11-27-38 37pim.
Springfield AHL 9gp. 2-2-4 4pim.


INJURED #15 Tyler Spurgeon 5-10 190lbs. 4/10/86 shoots L 2nd Year NA Pro
WBS AHL 34gp. 5-9-14 +3 10pim. Stockton ECHL 39gp. 12-17-29 26pim.

#17 Tim Sestito 5-11 180lbs. 8/11/84 shoots L 3rd Year NA Pro
Stockton ECHL 59gp. 13-11-24 114pim.

#8 Ben Simon 6'0" 195lbs. 6/14/78 shoots L 8th Year NA Pro
Syracuse AHL 56gp. 9-12-21 77pim.
Grand Rapids AHL 21gp. 4-5-9 28pim.



4 Right Wingers

#18 Colin McDonald 6-2 190lbs. 9/30/84 shoots R 1st Year NA Pro
Providence NCAA 36gp. 13-4-17 30pim.

INJURED #9 Liam Reddox 5-11 185lbs. 1/27/86 shoots L 2nd Year NA Pro
Stockton ECHL 63gp. 5-16-21 46pim.

#22 Ryan O'Marra 6-2 190lbs. 6/9/87 shoots R 1st Year NA Pro
Saginaw OHL 46gp. 26-25-51 74pim.

#19 Troy Bodie 6-5 205lbs. 1/25/85 shoots R 2nd Year NA Pro
Stockton ECHL 46gp. 21-17-38 80pim. Hamilton AHL 14gp. 0-0-0 19pim.


6 Left Wingers

#27 Jean Francois Jacques 6-4 217lbs. 4/28/85 shoots L 3rd Year NA Pro
Edm. NHL 37gp. 0-0-0 33pim. -11
WBS AHL 29gp. 11-17-28 +3 53pim.


#44 Robbie Schremp 5-11 200lbs. 7/1/86 shoots L 2nd year NA Pro
WBS AHL 69gp. 17-36-53 Ev 36pim.
Edm. NHL 1gp. 0-0-0 0pim. Ev


#13 Slava Trukhno 6-1 203lbs. 2/22/87 shoots L 1st Year NA Pro
Gatineau QMJHL 60gp. 25-77-102 67pim.

#16 Stephane Goulet 6-4 185lbs. 1/7/86 shoots L 2nd Year NA Pro
Stockton ECHL 62gp. 15-20-35 52pim.

#11 Ryan Flinn 6-5 230lbs. 4/20/80 shoots L 7th Year NA Pro
San Antonio AHL 61gp. 2-4-6 166pim.


#12 Jonas Almtorp 6-1 190lbs. 11/17/83 shoots L 1st Year NA Pro
Brynas SWE 46gp. 4-7-11 36pim.


10 Defensemen

#4 Bryan Young 6-1 191lbs. 8/6/86 shoots L 2nd Year NA Pro
Stockton ECHL 17gp. 0-4-4 24pim. WBS AHL 30gp. 0-1-1 8pim.
Edm. NHL 15gp. 0-0-0 10pim. -8


#36 Mathieu Roy 6-2 214lbs. 8/10/83 shoots R 4th Year NA Pro
Hamilton AHL 31gp. 6-12-18 40pim.
Edm. NHL 16gp. 2-0-2 30pim. -7


#26 Allan Rourke 6-2 213lbs. 3/6/80 shoots L 7th Year NA Pro
Bridgeport AHL 60gp. 5-15-20 60pim.
NYI NHL 11gp. 0-1-1 4pim.


#25 Danny Syvret 5-11 195lbs. 6/13/85 shoots L 3rd Year NA Pro
Grand Rapids AHL 50gp. 4-14-18 12pim.
Edm. NHL 16gp. 0-1-1 6pim. -10


#14 T.J. Kemp 5-11 197lbs. 7/3/81 shoots L 3rd Year NA Pro
Manchester AHL 65gp. 5-33-38 56pim


#5 Rick Berry 6-2 213lbs. 11/4/78 shoots L 10th Year NA Pro
Bridgeport AHL 76gp. 3-15-18 155pim


#24 Theo Peckham 6-1 216lbs. 11/10/87 shoots L 1st Year NA Pro
Owen Sound OHL 53gp. 10-25-35 173pim.

#21 Sebastien Bisaillon 6-0 200lbs. 12/8/86 shoots R 1st Year NA Pro
Val-d'Or QMJHL 63gp. 12-4-52 30pim.
Edm. NHL 2gp. 0-0-0 0pim. -1


#3 T.J. Reynolds 6-2 225lbs. 3/26/81 shoots R 6th Year NA Pro
Milwauke AHL 42gp. 0-1-1 93pim.


#7 Brad Farynuk 6-0 210lbs. 1/22/82 shoots R 2nd Year NA Pro
Daytona ECHL 47gp. 4-19-23 54pim.
Syracuse AHL 16gp. 0-1-1 8pim.


2 Goalies
#38 Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers 6-4 192lbs. 5/15/84 catches R 4th Year NA Pro
WBS AHL 40gp. 22-12-3 2.47GAA 0.908sv% 4SO

#40 Devan Dubnyk 6-5 194lbs. 5/4/86 catches L 2nd Year NA Pro
Stockton ECHL 38gp. 2.69GAA 0.918sv% 1SO


All Bio information comes from the HF Oilers prospects pages or hockeydb.com

Players Currently In Edmonton
#41 Patrick Thoresen 5-11 191lbs. 11/7/83 shoots L 2nd Year NA Pro
Edm. NHL 68gp. 4-12-16 -1 52pim.
WBS AHL 5gp. 1-5-6 +5 4pim.


#34 Rw/LW Robert Nilsson 5-11 183lbs. 1/10/85 shoots L 3rd Year NA Pro
WBS/Bridgeport AHL 69gp. 18-46-64 -4 48pim.
Edm. NHL 4gp. 1-0-1 4pim. -1


#6 Ladislav Smid 6-3 226lbs. 2/1/86 shoots L 3rd Year NA Pro
Edm. NHL 77gp. 3-7-10 -16 37pim.


#28 Zach Stortini 6-4 225lbs. 9/11/85 shoots R 3rd Year NA Pro
Hamilton AHL 43gp. 9-6-15 172pim.
Edm. NHL 29gp. 1-0-1 105pim. -7


C/W Andrew Cogliano 5-10 185lbs. 6/14/87 shoots L 1st Year NA Pro
Michigan NCAA 38gp. 24-26-50 12pim.

Kyle Brodziak 6-2 196lbs. 5/25/84 shoots R 4th Year NA Pro
WBS AHL 62gp. 24-32-56 +12 44pim.
Edm. NHL 6gp. 1-0-1 2pim. Ev


Tom Gilbert 6-3 206lbs. 1/10/83 shoots R 2nd Year NA Pro
WBS AHL 49gp. 4-26-30 +6 32pim.
Edm. NHL 12gp. 1-5-6 0pim. -1


Denis Grebeshkov 6-1 198lbs. 10/11/83 shoots L 3rd Year NA Pro
Lokomotiv RSL 54gp. 8-10-18 85pim.


Players Sent To Stockton Of The ECHL

Official Site Of the Thunder
http://www.stocktonthunder.com/#
#10 Fredrik Johansson 6-0 187lbs. 2/27/84 shoots L 1st Year NA Pro
Frolunda SWE 53gp. 1-4-5 20pim.

C/LW Geoff Paukovich 6-4 215lbs. 4/24/86 shoots L 1st Year NA Pro
Denver NCAA 39gp. 8-9-17 65pim.


Rw David Rohlfs 6-3 234lbs. 6/4/84 shoots R 1st Year NA Pro
Michigan NCAA 41gp. 17-17-34 30pim.

F Pat Bateman 6-1 195lbs. 5/20/82 shoots L 1st Year NA Pro
Northern Michigan NCAA 41gp. 7-8-15 89pim.
Milwauke AHL 3gp. 0-0-0 2pim.


G Glenn Fisher 6-1 190lbs. 4/25/83 catches R 1st Year NA Pro
Denver NCAA 24gp. 2.32GAA 0.919sv% 3SO


06-07 Stats of these prospects can be found at Seach'ds great prospect stats thread here http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=337407 Stats that aren't from WBS or the Oilers have been used from Seach'd's thread.

The 06-07 WBS thread, which includes the regular and post-season detailed stats of our main contributors to WBS can be found here http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=362206

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated

Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 01-26-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Bryanbryoil is online now  
Old
11-12-2007, 03:12 PM
  #2
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,667
vCash: 500
Welcome to the 2nd Springfield Falcons Thread. You can view the Original Falcon's Thread at http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=379524

Here Are The Falcons Focus Threads That I Have Made...

Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers 11-11-07
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=441192

Sebastien Bisaillon 11-18-07
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=443952

Patrick Thoresen 11-21-07
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=445395

Rob Schremp 11-27-07
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=447695


Last edited by Bryanbryoil: 11-29-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Bryanbryoil is online now  
Old
11-12-2007, 03:28 PM
  #3
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,667
vCash: 500
So, diving back into it, at this point the Falcons offense has fallen flat. Promising youngsters like Slava Trukhno and Sebastian Bisaillon haven't gotten regular AHL spots due to career AHLers like Ben Simon and TJ Reynolds. This team needs an offensive shot in the arm, ever since Rob Schremp has been converted to the wing (first the LW and now the RW) the team has looked a lot less dangerous offensively. If it weren't for the recent demotions of JF Jacques and Pouliot, this team would be in a world of hurt right now. If it is the Oilers longterm plans to convert Schremp to the wing, then for crying out loud, get the guy a passer on his opposite wing or down the middle. Jacques and Pouliot (Schremp's current linemates) look to cycle the puck instead of play a finesse offensive game. While Schremp is o.k. on the cycle, he is better at carrying the puck and making passes to set up his linemates or setting up in shooting areas. The Falcon's are mis-managing their assets. You need 2 solid scoring lines to be successful. It isn't rocket science to see that these lines would help teh team offensively...

Jacques-Pouliot-McDonald
Trukhno-Thoresen-Schremp
Reddox-Sestito-Bodie
Spurgeon, Flinn

You still have 7 guys that can play the PK up front. If this team continues to keep this up and roll strictly with grinders, A) it won't put butts in the seats, and B) they will have to hope that their goalie is their best player on the ice every single night to have a snowballs chance in Hell at winning.

Bryanbryoil is online now  
Old
11-12-2007, 03:36 PM
  #4
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,406
vCash: 500
Just a mention about Jeff Deslauriers.

After losing 2-1 in a shootout, he was named the game's #2 star.

Not only did he come out on to the ice when he was named, he also tossed a t-shirt into the crowd (the first opposing player I have ever seen do that), and stopped and high-fived every kid that was around the visitor's exit tunnel.

Speaks volumes to me about the character of that kid.

210 is offline  
Old
11-12-2007, 03:47 PM
  #5
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Just a mention about Jeff Deslauriers.

After losing 2-1 in a shootout, he was named the game's #2 star.

Not only did he come out on to the ice when he was named, he also tossed a t-shirt into the crowd (the first opposing player I have ever seen do that), and stopped and high-fived every kid that was around the visitor's exit tunnel.

Speaks volumes to me about the character of that kid.
Thanks for that, I shut down the B2 feed before that could be seen, although it usually cuts out shortly after the game ends any how (at least the video does). The 2 goaltenders tonight were great.

Bryanbryoil is online now  
Old
11-12-2007, 03:54 PM
  #6
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Thanks for that, I shut down the B2 feed before that could be seen, although it usually cuts out shortly after the game ends any how (at least the video does). The 2 goaltenders tonight were great.
Deslauriers had close to a dozen really good saves.

For a low scoring game there was an incredible amount of scoring chances.

210 is offline  
Old
11-12-2007, 03:57 PM
  #7
theoil
Registered User
 
theoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 9,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
So, diving back into it, at this point the Falcons offense has fallen flat. Promising youngsters like Slava Trukhno and Sebastian Bisaillon haven't gotten regular AHL spots due to career AHLers like Ben Simon and TJ Reynolds. This team needs an offensive shot in the arm, ever since Rob Schremp has been converted to the wing (first the LW and now the RW) the team has looked a lot less dangerous offensively. If it weren't for the recent demotions of JF Jacques and Pouliot, this team would be in a world of hurt right now. If it is the Oilers longterm plans to convert Schremp to the wing, then for crying out loud, get the guy a passer on his opposite wing or down the middle. Jacques and Pouliot (Schremp's current linemates) look to cycle the puck instead of play a finesse offensive game. While Schremp is o.k. on the cycle, he is better at carrying the puck and making passes to set up his linemates or setting up in shooting areas. The Falcon's are mis-managing their assets. You need 2 solid scoring lines to be successful. It isn't rocket science to see that these lines would help teh team offensively...

Jacques-Pouliot-McDonald
Trukhno-Thoresen-Schremp
Reddox-Sestito-Bodie
Spurgeon, Flinn

You still have 7 guys that can play the PK up front. If this team continues to keep this up and roll strictly with grinders, A) it won't put butts in the seats, and B) they will have to hope that their goalie is their best player on the ice every single night to have a snowballs chance in Hell at winning.
So what is your take on Buchberger as a HC overall BB? Does he get the guys pumped during the game? Does he get matchups that he should be goig for? Is he a decent bench coach?

theoil is offline  
Old
11-12-2007, 04:28 PM
  #8
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
There are all kinds of reasons why Trukno may not be playing. He could be injured, maybe he hasn't been effective in practice or possibly Buchberger is sending him a message. I'm a Trukhno fan based on all kinds of things but his numbers don't imply it is a tragedy he isn't playing at this time.

Honestly, I'd rather he get healthy, get his head on straight and then roll when he's back out there.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
11-12-2007, 04:34 PM
  #9
pox
Registered User
 
pox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,404
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to pox
How has Flinn looked lately?

pox is offline  
Old
11-12-2007, 05:37 PM
  #10
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Bryan I just wanted to continue a little bit the discussion at the end of the last thread.

What is you're opinion on whether guys that have say top 6 potential and possibly PP impact down the line in the NHL. Should they play over say a guy that projects as a 4th line energy guy (maybe some PK) possibly one day at the NHL level?

If the energy guy is currently playing better at the AHL do you feel he should stay in the line up game after game over the potential top 6er? If he we can agree that say Sestito for example does that kind of guy get hurt by getting his experience at the ECHL level at this point?

I would say no to my last point if the guy looked close to making the show (Bodie, Sestito are close to NHL ready?). If he is a year or two away at least then his game is likely not going to suffer playing a step down. Where as the potential top 6 guy I feel it is more likely to hurt or stall his development (ala last season you did not see say JFJ, or especially MAP or Schremp after being scratches sent to Stockton, only the lower level prospects and projects were sent there - I seen you had said maybe Trukhno should go to the ECHL) this way.

Just looking at Springfield currently it seems we have a lot of forwards that probably top out as 3rd or 4th line players in the NHL. If they ever even make it all.

Are these names fair? Spurgeon, Bodie, Simon, MAP, JFJ, Reddox, Sestito, Thoresen, Goulet, McDonald (Is he possible 2nd line material BBO since you get to eyeball him a lot?). That is not to mention Stockton where you could include O'Marra (some say a 2nd liner but probably a great 3rd liner potential), Paukovich, Rolhfs could be added to the 3rd, 4th forwards with eventual promise.

Is it also fair to say possible potential top 6er's currently in our minor league system includes only Schremp & Trukhno? Would you say given discrepancy between these lists (13 third/fourth liners and only 2 first/second liners) that special attention and ice should be invested to bring along their development as well as possible?

I know you say their play makes it so Bodie, Sestito etc... deserve to play every game in the AHL. Which is fair as long as we can agree that winning games in the AHL is / should be higher on the list than player development? Or as an organization are we are much more in dire need for 4th line guys for the big club?

Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
11-12-2007, 05:43 PM
  #11
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
There are all kinds of reasons why Trukno may not be playing. He could be injured, maybe he hasn't been effective in practice or possibly Buchberger is sending him a message. I'm a Trukhno fan based on all kinds of things but his numbers don't imply it is a tragedy he isn't playing at this time.

Honestly, I'd rather he get healthy, get his head on straight and then roll when he's back out there.
The Falcons website keeps listing Trukhno as a "Healthy Scratch". So unless they are hiding an injury that is not a factor here.

Also Trukhno has now been scratched if memory serves at least 4 straight games now. All were listed as healthy. He has been scratched a total of 7 games out of 16 played so far.

By the Falcons next game Trukhno will have played 3 games in nearly 1 months time.

I am just relieved now that we have full control of our own farm team for the first time in years. That prospects that we need to get ice time and experience at the AHL level (is this not the level you want them to make their mistakes and growing pains while gaining experience?) are not sitting the pressbox any longer as HS's.

You know what the funny thing is here in case anyone is wondering Trukhno is not even that high on my list of fave prospects and this still ticks me off.


Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 11-12-2007 at 05:52 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline  
Old
11-12-2007, 05:54 PM
  #12
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If it is the Oilers longterm plans to convert Schremp to the wing,
If this indeed is their plan, they better get ready to wait for a while. I have little doubt, baring further injury, that Schremp would be ready to compete for a top 6 NHL role next season as a C. If they want him on the wing, he's going to need to learn the responsibilities of a winger and either get much faster, or much stronger on the puck. So likely a couple more years if they want to go that route. I really hope they change their minds. Schremp has none of the tools to make an easy transition to the wing and this would be a long bumpy ride. He already thinks the game at an elite level as a C and all of his successes have been while playing there. We should move him back imho.

And since I can't reply to the last thread, to the poster that said Schremp shouldn't be trying to slow the game down to his speed.

That is what elite players do, they dominate by forcing other players to play the game at their speed, in their way. Schremp should absolutely be trying to force changes in game speed. He wants to be an All-Star NHLer, and that is how All-Stars play.

s7ark is offline  
Old
11-12-2007, 06:31 PM
  #13
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
If this indeed is their plan, they better get ready to wait for a while. I have little doubt, baring further injury, that Schremp would be ready to compete for a top 6 NHL role next season as a C. If they want him on the wing, he's going to need to learn the responsibilities of a winger and either get much faster, or much stronger on the puck. So likely a couple more years if they want to go that route.
I disagree. MacT's centermen have a lot of responsibility, they're the high man on offense (most often) and the deep man on defense (most often). They are required to read the play and guard the slot off the rush AND give the D with the puck an outlet during the transition.

The winger has to make sure he marks the Dman and offer support (although not getting out of position) should he be required to do so, and of course he needs to muscle the puck out when its ripped around the boards (we all got an education on it last season with our man Joffrey).

So Schremp's job is easier on the wing. I think he's being fast tracked (probably for trade).

Lowetide is offline  
Old
11-12-2007, 07:12 PM
  #14
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
So Schremp's job is easier on the wing. I think he's being fast tracked (probably for trade).
Since the conversion to the wing his numbers have dropped and he has looked invisible most nights. That won't impress any scouts.

I wish I could properly express the difference in Schremp's game down the middle compared to the wing. It's like 2 different players.

If he is being fast tracked for a trade, then best option is to call him up, give him some good wingers and 2nd PP time, and let him score some points doing what he is most comfortable at. That would increase his trade value. Forcing him to learn a new position, one that will obviously take a while(he is much further away from being an NHL winger then he is from being an NHL C), only drops his value further.

s7ark is offline  
Old
11-12-2007, 07:18 PM
  #15
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post
So what is your take on Buchberger as a HC overall BB? Does he get the guys pumped during the game? Does he get matchups that he should be goig for? Is he a decent bench coach?
Tonight I saw too many times where we'd get an offensive end draw and send out Simon-Sestito-Bodie. IMO he thinks the game well defensively, but doesn't have a clue at how to get the right mix of players to get offense out-side of mucking and grinding for goals. Basically a Mac-T clone thus far, and it isn't pretty IMO. In OT, he didn't play one of his best offensive players (Schremp) who coincidentally is the only Falcon with an OT GWG this year. I didn't care much for that decision, IMO you've got 1 point, you may as well go balls out for the 2nd. Positives, I like how he's handled the goaltending situation, and I like that he gives Schremp the freedom to be on the PP for the entire PP at times. I do not like teh fact that we have so many mucking/grinding players in the line-up. We don't need a guy like reynolds on the back-end ahead of peckham or Bisaillon. They already have Rourke (usually), Berry, and Peckham (injured) that can scrap on the back-end, not to mention Flinn and Jacques up front. Simon is made expendable by a multitude of prototypical 3rd/4th line grinders (Sestito, Thoresen, Spurgeon, Reddox, and Bodie). The team really could use additional skill, and Trukhno and Johansson could bring that to the line-up. Over-all Grade MC as in Mactavish Clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pox View Post
How has Flinn looked lately?
Not much skill, but he knows why he's in the pro's and he's ready willing and able to drop the gloves and throw bombs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Isnt Flinn still injured?


Anyways, hows Syvret?
Flinn has played the last 3 games I believe, and Syvret has looked solid. Very pleased by his play, however just like MAP and JFJ, I wonder when his game will finally translate to the NHL level. TJ Kemp has looked promising as well as a puck mover, basically an older version of Syvret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Bryan I just wanted to continue a little bit the discussion at the end of the last thread.

What is you're opinion on whether guys that have say top 6 potential and possibly PP impact down the line in the NHL. Should they play over say a guy that projects as a 4th line energy guy (maybe some PK) possibly one day at the NHL level?

If the energy guy is currently playing better at the AHL do you feel he should stay in the line up game after game over the potential top 6er? If he we can agree that say Sestito for example does that kind of guy get hurt by getting his experience at the ECHL level at this point?

I would say no to my last point if the guy looked close to making the show (Bodie, Sestito are close to NHL ready?). If he is a year or two away at least then his game is likely not going to suffer playing a step down. Where as the potential top 6 guy I feel it is more likely to hurt or stall his development (ala last season you did not see say JFJ, or especially MAP or Schremp after being scratches sent to Stockton, only the lower level prospects and projects were sent there - I seen you had said maybe Trukhno should go to the ECHL) this way.

Just looking at Springfield currently it seems we have a lot of forwards that probably top out as 3rd or 4th line players in the NHL. If they ever even make it all.

Are these names fair? Spurgeon, Bodie, Simon, MAP, JFJ, Reddox, Sestito, Thoresen, Goulet, McDonald (Is he possible 2nd line material BBO since you get to eyeball him a lot?). That is not to mention Stockton where you could include O'Marra (some say a 2nd liner but probably a great 3rd liner potential), Paukovich, Rolhfs could be added to the 3rd, 4th forwards with eventual promise.

Is it also fair to say possible potential top 6er's currently in our minor league system includes only Schremp & Trukhno? Would you say given discrepancy between these lists (13 third/fourth liners and only 2 first/second liners) that special attention and ice should be invested to bring along their development as well as possible?

I know you say their play makes it so Bodie, Sestito etc... deserve to play every game in the AHL. Which is fair as long as we can agree that winning games in the AHL is / should be higher on the list than player development? Or as an organization are we are much more in dire need for 4th line guys for the big club?
My thing is this, any really good team has a good mixture of offense and defense. Tell me if it is evenly distributed in Springfield...

NHL Likely Top End Potential 3rd liners
Bodie (maybe), Reddox (maybe), Thoresen, Jacques

NHL Likely Top End Potential 4th Liners
Sestito, Spurgeon, Flinn (enforcer only), Simon (career AHLer)

NHL Likely Top End Potential Top 6
Schremp, Trukhno, Pouliot (if he can EVER figure his game out), McDonald (by a whisker!!!)

The fact is, out-side of a few select players and Nash in college, we are VERY heavilly weighted towards the bottom 6 type's of players. We need to make sure that Schremp's and Trukhno's development counts, because with-out them turning into players (barring a major trade) we are ultra thin in terms of offensive forward prospects. I look at Schremp's struggles on the wing, and Trukhno's natural ability as a play maker, and IMO it should be a natural fit. I also feel that we could ice a competitive team with more skill/excitement just by adding Trukhno and Bisaillon to the line-up. The ammount of skill that we gain more than makes up for the grit that we lose (still more than enough of it left). This team talks about development first, but their agenda is much more clear on the team that they ice. The Falcons organization is hurting, and they need fans. IMO nothing would be better than a young, high flying, and physical team to draw them in and start the resurgence of Oilers hockey at the minor league level.

Bryanbryoil is online now  
Old
11-12-2007, 07:20 PM
  #16
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Since the conversion to the wing his numbers have dropped and he has looked invisible most nights. That won't impress any scouts.

I wish I could properly express the difference in Schremp's game down the middle compared to the wing. It's like 2 different players.

If he is being fast tracked for a trade, then best option is to call him up, give him some good wingers and 2nd PP time, and let him score some points doing what he is most comfortable at. That would increase his trade value. Forcing him to learn a new position, one that will obviously take a while(he is much further away from being an NHL winger then he is from being an NHL C), only drops his value further.
Bryan mentioned that he had played some wing in junior, so it isn't that new for him. Perhaps he's sturggling with the position in pro or (more obviously) the coach may not be using him with the best possible center (which I would think would be Pouliot).

Either way, Schremp's numbers look pretty good to me.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
11-12-2007, 07:25 PM
  #17
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
If this indeed is their plan, they better get ready to wait for a while. I have little doubt, baring further injury, that Schremp would be ready to compete for a top 6 NHL role next season as a C. If they want him on the wing, he's going to need to learn the responsibilities of a winger and either get much faster, or much stronger on the puck. So likely a couple more years if they want to go that route. I really hope they change their minds. Schremp has none of the tools to make an easy transition to the wing and this would be a long bumpy ride. He already thinks the game at an elite level as a C and all of his successes have been while playing there. We should move him back imho.

And since I can't reply to the last thread, to the poster that said Schremp shouldn't be trying to slow the game down to his speed.

That is what elite players do, they dominate by forcing other players to play the game at their speed, in their way. Schremp should absolutely be trying to force changes in game speed. He wants to be an All-Star NHLer, and that is how All-Stars play.
I agree, we're talking until late this year if at all this year for him to be able to do his thing on the wing. His speed is probably average-ish at the AHL level, his size is smaller than average I would guess, his grit level is below average (for grinders for sure). Until his speed increases, it will be a long, long season for Robbie, and out-side of learning the position, I don't know what it will accomplish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
I disagree. MacT's centermen have a lot of responsibility, they're the high man on offense (most often) and the deep man on defense (most often). They are required to read the play and guard the slot off the rush AND give the D with the puck an outlet during the transition.

The winger has to make sure he marks the Dman and offer support (although not getting out of position) should he be required to do so, and of course he needs to muscle the puck out when its ripped around the boards (we all got an education on it last season with our man Joffrey).

So Schremp's job is easier on the wing. I think he's being fast tracked (probably for trade).
If they're pimping him for a trade, then they are retarded. He looked like a million $ down the middle, making brilliant passes, great dekes, firing shots off the rush, making defensive plays down the middle, and averaging better than 1ppg while doing it. He looked better down the middle early in the year than MAP has since being sent down.

IMO they are trying to get him to switch positions to give them a sniping winger. He has the tools to do it, but he'll need more speed to get ahead of the defender to let his shot go. If they aren't trying to convert him for their teams use, and are doing so to trade him, they dropped his trade value nearly Ten Fold IMO.

Bryanbryoil is online now  
Old
11-12-2007, 07:31 PM
  #18
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
Bryan mentioned that he had played some wing in junior, so it isn't that new for him. Perhaps he's sturggling with the position in pro or (more obviously) the coach may not be using him with the best possible center (which I would think would be Pouliot).

Either way, Schremp's numbers look pretty good to me.
Schremp at center...
4gp. 2-3-5 (1.25PPG) Ev 14sog (3.5shots/game)

Schremp at wing
9gp. 1-5-6 (0.67PPG) +1 21sog (2.33shots/game)

-0.58PPG and -1.17shots/game

It has been as bad as it has looked, maybe worse.

Bryanbryoil is online now  
Old
11-12-2007, 08:58 PM
  #19
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
They may feel his lack of footspeed exposes him even more at center. That's a guess, but it would make sense. Let's face it, they didn't move Schremp over to the wing because Gretzky's on the team so there must be a reason.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
11-13-2007, 08:00 AM
  #20
Louiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Schremp at center...
4gp. 2-3-5 (1.25PPG) Ev 14sog (3.5shots/game)

Schremp at wing
9gp. 1-5-6 (0.67PPG) +1 21sog (2.33shots/game)

-0.58PPG and -1.17shots/game

It has been as bad as it has looked, maybe worse.

That is a very small sample...be patient

Louiss is offline  
Old
11-13-2007, 11:11 AM
  #21
oilswell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Wandering the globe
Posts: 1,760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
If it is the Oilers longterm plans to convert Schremp to the wing, then for crying out loud, get the guy a passer on his opposite wing or down the middle.
I'm not sure I get it. You think Bisaillon's development is being thwarted by being sent down into a situation where he'll excel, yet you think Schremp's development is being thwarted by being placed in a position where he has to work on the things he doesn't already do well. And you think the Falcons should be willing to sacrifice some winning for the sake of development, yet you argue Schremp should be moved to center so the Falcons are a better team. Am I missing something Bryan?

Growing up I was always told that in practice you focus on what you don't already know well, and when performing focus on your strengths. The Oilers brass may already be confident in his skill game and his current linemates and position may just indicate what they want him to work on. Giving him high-flying partners to give-n-go may defeat the lesson. Like LT, I'd rather see him working on rounding out his game rather than racking up meaningless points. Frankly, if they give him an easy path I worry he'll be one of those players who has huge numbers in junior and becomes a career AHLer because he's missing huge pieces of the NHL game.

I'm actually somewhat encouraged by this development.

oilswell is offline  
Old
11-13-2007, 11:13 AM
  #22
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louiss View Post
That is a very small sample...be patient
I dunno, I've watch him play a few games on the wing now, and he isn't even Lupul-bad. He's absolutely invisible out there. He's almost never involved in the play and gets few chances outside the PP.

This is a full step backwards in Schremp's development. And until he either gains 10-15 lbs of muscle or gets a full step faster, he won't be an effective winger. He doesn't play or think the game like a winger. So he'll have to learn a new style of play as well, hopefully that doesn't take too long either. This decreases the likelihood Schremp will be top 6 NHL ready by TC 08.

Any way you slice it, in the short term, this is a disastrous move in terms of how quickly Schremp will be NHL ready, and hence, his trade value. No one is going to offer a lot for a <PPG AHL player who your scouts don't even notice unless it's on the PP.

To me, this is starting to look like Edmonton's version of Savard. We're going to screw his development like the Flames did with Savard, and kill his trade value. He'll bounce around until he gets a legit shot and he'll run with it. I'm getting really bad feelings about how we're handling Schremp.

s7ark is offline  
Old
11-13-2007, 11:54 AM
  #23
IceDragoon
Registered User
 
IceDragoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South of Sanity
Posts: 3,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
So Schremp's job is easier on the wing. I think he's being fast tracked (probably for trade).
It should be, provided his centre is predictable. I'm a huge fan of centres earning some stripes in the wing/trenches. If they buy-in to being a solid wingman, they tend to be better centres down the road. As long as Schremp is trying to get faster as well, it's all good, imho.

If the Oilers were looking to trade Schremp don't you think they'd be trying to pump him before a dump? It looks like they want him working on becoming a better hockey player. I'm sure he's gone if the right deal requires him, but that goes for all our boys.

IceDragoon is offline  
Old
11-13-2007, 12:54 PM
  #24
Louiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 875
vCash: 500
The big probleme the Oils have is that they have drafted 5 centers in the 1rst round in the last 5 years...+++ a lot of other center prospect

So too many centers and they try to convert natural centers to wingers.

It may works with Brodziack, don't think it works with Thoresen and the results were awful for Pouliot at the NHL level and now for Schremp in the AHL.

They just can't play all at center so obviously the perfect situation will be a trade where 1 or 2 centers will be move for wingers.


As for Schremp stats, don't forget there where more goals scored the first 2 weeks of the season and he had 5 pts in 2 games against Albany so his numbers arent that bad the last few games... however I agree he is not really playing good.
JFJ and MAP were clearly the best 2 forwards for the 3 games this weekend.

Louiss is offline  
Old
11-13-2007, 07:51 PM
  #25
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragoon View Post
It should be, provided his centre is predictable. I'm a huge fan of centres earning some stripes in the wing/trenches. If they buy-in to being a solid wingman, they tend to be better centres down the road. As long as Schremp is trying to get faster as well, it's all good, imho.

If the Oilers were looking to trade Schremp don't you think they'd be trying to pump him before a dump? It looks like they want him working on becoming a better hockey player. I'm sure he's gone if the right deal requires him, but that goes for all our boys.
I don't know how they could get him enough minutes to showcase him in the NHL this season, Louise. Nilsson has come in and grabbed the last spot on the top 6 wing and the kids (Gagner and Cogliano) at MP and RS's lunch at center.

If Schremp can put up 70 points in the AHL he'll have enough value at the deadline or the draft imo that someone will make a move. Of course, if he finds his way under MacT then he'll have proven a lot imo. He isn't what we would consider to be a "typical" MacT prospect-type.

Lowetide is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.