HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Pick 6 teams for NHL Contraction

View Poll Results: Pick 6 teams to contract
Pittsburgh 170 76.92%
Washington 110 49.77%
NY Islanders 56 25.34%
Carolina 186 84.16%
Florida 167 75.57%
Phoenix 150 67.87%
Anaheim 149 67.42%
Buffalo 95 42.99%
Edmonton 23 10.41%
Calgary 43 19.46%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 221. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 09:13 AM

vCash: 500
Pick 6 teams for NHL Contraction

*MULTIPLES*

I'm getting to a point with this, although it may take me a while to get there.

Pick 6 teams that you think would be worthy of contraction in the NHL. And be reasonable, although I assume the ones that come over here are more so than the Rumors board for instance. Keep in mind a developing fan base, management or owners reliability for running the franchise, etc.

If I missed a pick of yours in the poll, post it. I'd like to hear your reasoning as well, if you are in favor. Don't worry about it if you are not in favor of contraction, just tell me who you'd pick.

Last edited by Guest: 12-09-2003 at 09:16 AM.
Old
12-09-2003, 09:26 AM
RedRumNJD

I couldn't pick 6 teams to contract...that's too many, in my opinion.

Old
12-09-2003, 09:59 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal

Old
12-09-2003, 10:19 AM
YellHockey*

Stupid idea for a poll.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyMeatWhistle
Stupid idea for a poll.
Not if you payed attention and realized this was only the beginning of a larger issue to raise. ***** and moan at someone else, you've lost my audience.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:21 AM
Other Dave

Why not just list all the teams in the league?

Other Dave

Old
12-09-2003, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
Why not just list all the teams in the league?

Other Dave
I can only list 10 teams on the poll, and I tried to name the teams I most commonly hear as subject matter regarding this. As I said in the original post, feel free to add a team of your choosing to the discussion.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:24 AM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin

LOL. Go Phantom.

Old
12-09-2003, 11:45 AM
West

I picked the teams that I'd like to see contract. As a pure businessman I'd say that you'd have to pick to kill at least one of Calgary or Edmonton given the current situation. Also someone a long time ago posted a list of markets that the NHL would need teams in in order to get a national TV deal in the states. I'd think that as a owner that would still be one of my long term goal's.

I picked

Nyi: They already have rangers.
Flo: Tampa already in Florida and I don't see the state supporting two teams.
Buf: Small Market not Canadian.
Pit: Financial issues and they need a new rink.
Car: I don't think hockey will catch on long term.
Anh: Always hated the name and California has 2 other teams.

Old
12-09-2003, 03:50 PM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeofWindsor
Yes he is a real clever one.
It's the best suggestion for contraction I've heard so far.

Just think of it. No currency exchange problems. No cross-border visa issues. Canada can start up its own professional league with two teams in Toronto (or put one in Hamilton, just to finally shut them up), and one each in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnepeg, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City. It'll be like the CFL vs. the NFL - sure all the better talent would go south of teh border, but the better game would be played North of 48.

It would be awesome.

Other Dave

Old
12-09-2003, 04:02 PM
The Rage

Quote:
It's the best suggestion for contraction I've heard so far.

Just think of it. No currency exchange problems. No cross-border visa issues. Canada can start up its own professional league with two teams in Toronto (or put one in Hamilton, just to finally shut them up), and one each in Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnepeg, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City. It'll be like the CFL vs. the NFL - sure all the better talent would go south of teh border, but the better game would be played North of 48.

It would be awesome.

Other Dave
I think the league quality would be closer than the the CFL and NFL. Relatively, a "Canadian Hockey League" would be richer than the CFL, and the NFL is richer than the NHL. Also, I think some guys would prefer to play in their home country. However, that's probably just unbased optimism. But I think it would be a pretty good occurance, especially if the "CHL" had exciting hockey. We would have great hockey, and no worry about competitive balance. Certainly better than the status quo.

Last edited by The Rage: 12-09-2003 at 06:12 PM.
Old
12-09-2003, 06:10 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Are you dumb enough to believe that the NHL minus Canadian players (and yes, the majority of Canadians would stay in Canada) would survive in the u.s.a alone? Try thinking first before you back another idiotic idea.
I think from a Canadian perspective, having a monopoly on all the good players would be wonderful. However, I think that money talks, and eventually the best players will go to the best markets. Soccer provides a good anology of what might occur. The very best Brazillian and Argentinian soccer players all go to Europe to ply their trade. The South American leagues, though, still retain enough quality players to remain highly respectable. Even America is not immune, as many of the best American players go to Europe as well.

Last edited by The Rage: 12-10-2003 at 06:05 AM.
Old
12-10-2003, 05:54 AM
Other Dave

Quote:
Are you dumb enough to believe that the NHL minus Canadian players (and yes, the majority of Canadians would stay in Canada) would survive in the u.s.a alone?
...Yes, in fact. Just like Canadian doctors, nurses, and college professors, Canadian hockey players will migrate south across the border where the real money is.

Quote:
Try thinking first before you back another idiotic idea.
What, like setting up a poll to vote your least favorite teams off the island?

Contracting the Canadian teams from the NHL is a worthless, stupid, and asinine proposal. It's also the best argument for contraction that I've heard so far.

Other Dave

Old
12-10-2003, 06:48 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin

Take away those teams and the NHL folds within a couple of years. It's the canadian influence in this sport that's keeping the game alive, if you guys had to rely on crap US sports networks showing hockey, good luck.

Old
12-10-2003, 07:37 AM
Other Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
Take away those teams and the NHL folds within a couple of years. It's the canadian influence in this sport that's keeping the game alive, if you guys had to rely on crap US sports networks showing hockey, good luck.
The bulk of hockey revenues come from south of the border, true or false?

Other Dave

Old
12-10-2003, 07:57 AM
The Rage

Quote:

Other Dave
The love of hockey comes from Canada. True or false?

Old
12-10-2003, 08:26 AM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:

Other Dave
That's actually a very interesting question. I wonder what would happen if:

a.) Two of the sad sacks from south of the border were relocated to Winnipeg and Quebec City, giving this great country eight NHL teams again.

b.) Canadian teams were allowed to keep television revenues derived
from Canada to themselves while the U.S. based teams kept whatever
TV revenues they could generate from south of the border to themselves.

The CBC pays $60 million per year for HNIC. There are two nation-wide
sports networks that are paying up to $450,000 PER GAME for broadcast rights. Give each of the two sports networks two games per week for 26 weeks at $350,000 per game, and you would now have around $100 million CDN to divvie up among eight Canadian teams. $12.5 million each,
or about $9 million US at present exchange rates.

The remaining 22 U.S. - based teams could then split the $120 million
per year that they get from Disney, about $5.5 million US each, and I would wish them luck in getting even that much with the next TV contract.

c.) No more putting merchandising revenues into a common pot. The Calgary Flames get to keep whatever Flames-related merchandise they
can sell, they don't exchange that for a 1/30th share of Tampa Bay Lightning, Carolina Hurricane, and Nashville Predators merchandise.

d.) We'd have to settle for the more modest live-gate revenues in Canadian dollars of sold-out or SRO only crowds, which would hopefully be offset by the increases in revenues from the TV rights and the merchandising.

e.) Mind you, we wouldn't be able to provide too much financial aid to the U.S. markets suffering from paltry attendance, Anaheim, Atlanta, Boston, Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Florida, Long Island, Pittsburgh, Tampa, and Washington (this list may not be exhaustive.........)

Old
12-10-2003, 12:02 PM
The Kitner Boy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Are you dumb enough to believe that the NHL minus Canadian players (and yes, the majority of Canadians would stay in Canada) would survive in the u.s.a alone? Try thinking first before you back another idiotic idea.

Just like all of the top notch European players stay Europe.

No one really wants to contract the Canadian teams. It just gets old having every contraction thread only mention the teams in the South, I think that was the point being made.

Old
12-10-2003, 12:47 PM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
*MULTIPLES*

I'm getting to a point with this, although it may take me a while to get there.

Pick 6 teams that you think would be worthy of contraction in the NHL. And be reasonable, although I assume the ones that come over here are more so than the Rumors board for instance. Keep in mind a developing fan base, management or owners reliability for running the franchise, etc.

If I missed a pick of yours in the poll, post it. I'd like to hear your reasoning as well, if you are in favor. Don't worry about it if you are not in favor of contraction, just tell me who you'd pick.

1) Carolina
2) Florida
3) Nashville
4) Phoenix
5) Tampa Bay
6) Anaheim
7) San Jose

Let Dallas, Atlanta, Colorado & Los Angeles keep their teams. That is enough hockey for the Southern US.

Let's be honest here, hockey gets much more exposure and fan support in Canada than it does in Southern US. If any teams are to be contracted, they will be from the Southern US. It just makes sense. It was Bettman's stupid vision that got us in this mess to begin with. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that US hockey fans don't have a clue and if you are not winning, they don't care. In Calgary, they have missed the playoffs for 7 years and still get 15,000 a game. That is real hockey fans. Carolina was in the final 2 years ago and they can't give their tickets away now. You would never see that in Canada.

Last edited by HellsBells: 12-10-2003 at 01:05 PM.
Old
12-10-2003, 01:05 PM
The Rage

Quote:
The fact that players in Europe make peanuts compared to what they would make here might have something to do with the move.
Peanuts!?! Oleg Tverdosky is making 1.5 mil for Omsk. Can you imgaine what Ambromovich would give a real star?

Old
12-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
In Calgary, they have missed the playoffs for 7 years and still get 15,000 a game. That is real hockey fans. Carolina was in the final 2 years ago and they can't give their tickets away now. You would never see that in Canada.

Not exactly true... Until Vancouver started winning the last few years they were lucky to get 12-14k fans to a game...Calgary do well this season now that they are winning but both them and Edmonton basically had to hold a gun to the head of fans to buy tickets with the threat they they would move if people didnt buy season tickets...Winnipeg couldnt get enough support from the community to build a rink (off to Pheonix they went)... Montreal dont sell out all that often now that they stink... Quebec City could not get eonugh support to support the team (off to Colorado) and Ottawa has one of the potentialy best teams in the league and they rarely sellout, they didnt even sellout in the playoffs some games last year...

I agree with you about a few of the southern states unable to draw fans, but those places you listed as "not deserving" are doing exactly what all the Canadian teams do (minus TO and do a degree Montreal)... I remember to going to Van games where they had less then 12k people...So yes you would, have and will again see that in Canada...

SJ still draws well, Anahiem is drawing well again after a couple low years, Phoenix used to be the hottest ticket in town (its low now but with a new rink it should pick up again), Nashville is too new to judge IMO, but they have sucked every year till this,

That said, it is hard to make a case for team like Carolina, NYI, Florida to be spared when there are games that draw less then a junior team...

Old
12-10-2003, 02:20 PM
Other Dave

Quote:
It is realistic to suggest many of the teams in the South for contraction.
I disagree.

Other Dave

Old
12-10-2003, 06:51 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by West
I picked

Nyi: They already have rangers.
Flo: Tampa already in Florida and I don't see the state supporting two teams.
Buf: Small Market not Canadian.
Pit: Financial issues and they need a new rink.
Car: I don't think hockey will catch on long term.
Anh: Always hated the name and California has 2 other teams.
Yeah lets get rid of two teams who have been in the league for over 30 years and have had pretty good success up until the millenium. I would replace Buffalo and the Islanders with Washington and Phoenix.

Old
12-10-2003, 08:05 PM
hamilton

six isn't enough

It is abundantly clear that there isn't enough talent to fill 30 rosters.

If I could, I'd have 10 teams dropped down to the AHL. A good place to start might be those teams that can't fill more than 80% of the seats in their arenas.

Old
12-10-2003, 09:13 PM
Other Dave

Quote:
Unfortunately the opinion of someone who thinks dumping all the Canadian based teams is a good idea means very little to me.
Please reread my post above. Thanks in advance for not misrepresenting my position.

BTW I've changed my mind. I now think that the six teams that should be contracted should include the team that Mike from Windsor cheers for.

Other Dave

Closed Thread