HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff O'Neill?

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Cloudigger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
i dont want o'niell.
thats just me
simple curiosity .. but why ?

Old
01-15-2004, 07:35 PM
goalchenyuk

and what about Dagenais - ribeiro - O' Neil ? is he a good skater ? i don't remember ...

i would like to see Zednik playing with his buddy Koivu, but he gives by now , some speed to the line of Ribeiro...but if O'neil is available

Old
01-15-2004, 07:46 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudigger
simple curiosity .. but why ?
he's a gifted goal scorer, he's played 8 full seasons in the nhl and still has a very weak defencive game.
not a good playoff performer i think he's at .5 ppg in the playoffs. lacks intensity.
some times shows lack of disciplin.

hes lost his confidence this season(thats very crucial).

imo he's basically a desanais with better stick handling and skating abilities.

basically hes a pure goal scoring threat, but its not worth the price (probly good prospects and a currant starter) its gonna take to get him.

imho gainey will not even consider o'niell.
he'll be looking for more of a "allround" righty center, one thats more inept in his defencive game.
but thats just me, never been a high fan of his game i consider his style similar to glen murry's. not my style of player.

Old
01-15-2004, 09:30 PM
BigM1ke

Put O'neill with Ryder and Koivu and you have a pretty damn good 1st line!! I have nothing against Bulis but he's not a 1st line player IMO.

Old
01-15-2004, 09:54 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke
Put O'neill with Ryder and Koivu and you have a pretty damn good 1st line!! I have nothing against Bulis but he's not a 1st line player IMO.
of coarse bulis isnt a 1st line player. but hes as good as it gets as a 3rd line player wich will be his future roll for years. iwouldnt be too hasty taking bulis out of that top line right now unless its someone with a similar game to bulis(which is not zednik).
theres a certain balance right nowin the top 6 they will change soon but have to be changed very eligantly.

ryder is very lucky playing with a grade A playmaker in koivu, and a grade A defencive forward like bulis. i hope he's taking lotsa notes :]

note : be carefull what you wish for in o'niell.

Old
01-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by #44_delivers
note : be carefull what you wish for in o'niell.
I think everyone should thank you for this wise advice.

I'd not give up the farm to get O'neil but it's still good to remind people that O'neill is a very durable player that scored 127 goals in the last 4 seasons before this one. He's having a bad season but it doesn't mean he's a cancer or an underachiever. He had problems with Maurice and he's playing on a bottom feeder team.

I think it's the perfect occasion to try getting a legit 1st line player without overpaying. If McKenzie is right and O'neill is indeed on the block I'd bet Gainey has inquired.

O'neill can play both wings I'd definately give up one of Hossa or Hainsey + something for him if the canes were willing to do such a deal. I might even consider giving up both of them straight up for O'neill.

Just think about this for a minute

O'neill-Koivu-Ryder
Zednik-Ribeiro-Dagenais/Balej
Bulis-Bégin-Ward
Langdon-Juneau-Sundstrom

All of a sudden we got some good balanced scoring.

O'neill is definately part of a my wish list. But I'm not getting my hopes up. I doubt Gainey can pull this off.

Old
01-15-2004, 11:11 PM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
O'neill is definately part of a my wish list. But I'm not getting my hopes up. I doubt Gainey can pull this off.
he can if he wants him bad enough.
i dont think he wants a player like o'niell, i bet he hasnt enquired carolina at all.
i would personally not like to have o'niell on this team.

Old
01-16-2004, 02:36 AM
mcphee

I like the idea of a player like him because he's fast and plays with a bit of an edge.The downside is that he has been pretty inconsistent throughout his career. I imagine that conversations would start with Komi or Ryder, neither of which anyone here is interested in moving. When you hear Boston rumours involoving Samsonov,though they are probably just rumours, you have to be realistic about what it would take to get him. Remember that O'Neil has played a long time with Ron Francis, so if it is quite a leap of faith to think he'd be better off with Ribs or Koivu. Who has a higher value right now, O'Neil or Zednik ? Keep in mind that we have Balej,Perezhogin, Kast [too lazy to look up spelling] who will be top 6 wingers if on the Habs. That's 3 out of 4 spots. Bullis can be an excellent 3rd liner,leaving Zed,Ryder,Dagenais. I didn't even mention Plkanec or Higgins as they are capable of 3rd or 4th line center roles if need be. All this and we haven't added that top 6 gritty winger that we all want. So, when looking at a wish list of players, are we developing some of these guys to move them or are we creating room for them ? Personally, I'd imagine that our next pick up will be a checking center, probably from whatever teams start to nosedive over the next 2-3 weeks. I think that we may have to wait for a bigger name.

Old
01-16-2004, 06:33 AM
jcpenny

We need a big guy like Vasicek, Pyatt, Carter or Isbister. Hossa and Hainsey with maybe Dagenais could help us get a guy like that. Zednik should return with Koivu for the playoffs and Bulis on the 3rd line. Balej Would be called up to play with Ribs.

Zednik-Koivu Ryder
New Big guy-Ribs-Balej
Bulis-Juneau-Ward
Kilger/langdon-Begin-Sundstrom

Old
01-16-2004, 06:42 AM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution

O'neill can play both wings I'd definately give up one of Hossa or Hainsey + something for him if the canes were willing to do such a deal. I might even consider giving up both of them straight up for O'neill.
C'mon, whats the rush in trading Hainsey? You put him in every one of your propositions. We're thin on defense compared to our forwards so I'd think about Hossa or Zednik long before Hainsey, especially since O'neill hasn't been impressive this season.

But I agree with the other part though, it would give us much more balanced scoring. O'neil and Ryder are perfect fits for Koivu and can give us 20 to 35 goals a season.

Old
01-16-2004, 06:46 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Bullis can be an excellent 3rd liner,leaving Zed,Ryder,Dagenais. I didn't even mention Plkanec or Higgins as they are capable of 3rd or 4th line center roles if need be. All this and we haven't added that top 6 gritty winger that we all want.
I see it a little differently. Dags is not the final answer for line two. He's streaking right now, but when he stops scoring he's going to be the next Jonus Hoglund out there. We cannot count on him to be a top-6 winger for us, but O'Neill would fit that role nicely. He and Zednik on the same line would be a potent duo. Both have speed, a good shot, and grit (O'Neill moreso than Zed). Playing with our improved offense, O'Neill could easily score 30+ again, if not 40.

I would go as high as Hainsey + a second rounder. I think O'Neill is worth it. And as for Samsonov, he's playing lousy this year too and he makes almost 4 mil. Why would Carolina want to do that? They'll be thinking prospects + low-end roster players, and that's exactly what we have an abundance of. With the East as tight as it is, acquiring a guy like O'Neill can put you up to the next level. I say we go for it.

Last edited by Guy Caballero: 01-16-2004 at 07:24 AM.
Old
01-16-2004, 07:01 AM
mcphee

You could be right about Dagenais but he has to prove it one way or another. I just wonder about O'Neil because he's always been so up and down. He could be a touch overrated, his best games look great but when you add it all up...... There are a few Carolina players that I thought would prosper after their run a few years ago but it hasn't really happened. Injuries have slowed a few of them but honestly, didn't you think Cole would be farther ahead by now ? Who thought Battaglia would nosedive ? Svoboda ? at least Staal and Vasicek look pretty solid.

Old
01-16-2004, 07:11 AM
Wildbeliefs

I'm curious to know why you guys say that O'neil is inconsistant... I have to admit that I don't really know much about him, but by quicking looking at his stats I see that he's averaged about 65 points in the last 4 seasons. (63,67,64,61)

So can someone elaborate on his inconsistency? Is it his defensive play?

Old
01-16-2004, 07:49 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
I would take Jeff Oneill any day of the week, i mean yes he got a terrible season but he as shown he can produce every year and as nice size and use his body. we cant miss a chance like that better take one while one is available.

we might have to give up a nice player, but dont forget all our prospect wont become stars or even NHLers, i think we could give Hossa and some more stuff.. but its tough to predict what Carolina is looking for. it would be a new start with Koivu and could reach carreer numbers with him. anyway.. its just a tought hehe

Old
01-16-2004, 07:55 AM
NoKtUrN

Zednik Straight up for O'neil.

boy am i going to get bashed for that one.

Old
01-16-2004, 08:11 AM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKtUrN

All things being equal, I would swap one for the other, but considering all the circumstances right now this would be a bad deal.

Old
01-16-2004, 08:23 AM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoKtUrN

I tried that a couple years ago in NHL2002 and it just never really worket out, I'm afraid.

Old
01-16-2004, 08:26 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
I'm curious to know why you guys say that O'neil is inconsistant... I have to admit that I don't really know much about him, but by quicking looking at his stats I see that he's averaged about 65 points in the last 4 seasons. (63,67,64,61)

So can someone elaborate on his inconsistency? Is it his defensive play?
Guess I'm wrong, I didn't look it up and I had the impression he was more up and down. I feel like the guy in that Keith's commercial. Just look away.

Old
01-16-2004, 09:26 AM
BigM1ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
We need a big guy like Vasicek, Pyatt, Carter or Isbister. Hossa and Hainsey with maybe Dagenais could help us get a guy like that. Zednik should return with Koivu for the playoffs and Bulis on the 3rd line. Balej Would be called up to play with Ribs.

Zednik-Koivu Ryder
New Big guy-Ribs-Balej
Bulis-Juneau-Ward
Kilger/langdon-Begin-Sundstrom
I don't understand half the people here... Dagenais is scoring at each 2 games almost and is producing alot and you don't keep him on the lineup and put Balej who have NEVER PLAYED A SINGLE GAME IN THE NHL!

Old
01-16-2004, 09:30 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
I don't understand half the people here... Dagenais is scoring at each 2 games almost and is producing alot and you don't keep him on the lineup and put Balej who have NEVER PLAYED A SINGLE GAME IN THE NHL!
too many habs fans get way too fantastical in there line-ups.
almost every body has to tweek it for a little prospect fantasy addition.

Old
01-16-2004, 02:40 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
How about Ward and Hossa and a 2nd rounder for O'Neill?

Old
01-16-2004, 03:31 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
how about komisarek and a 2nd rounder for oneill.

Old
01-16-2004, 04:14 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
hmm, I hope O'Neill's hattrick tonight doesn't put a damper on all these proposals...

Old
01-16-2004, 04:15 PM
BLONG7

Maybe Oneill read Bob M's article and wants out badly, therefore the hat trick!

Old
01-16-2004, 06:35 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
yes , why don't give a 4 th line player and a rookie that is going nowhere for a 30 goals scorer with size ...???

Closed Thread