HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Which Centre Habs get for Perrault and 3rd round pick??

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2004, 07:36 AM
  #1
Habs4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal, (Quebec)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Which Centre can Habs get for Perrault and 3rd round pick??

it would be swap in a sence for both teams going in playoff as other team can acquire great Faceoff man to improve them in that area plus get 3rd rounder, in return Montreal needs player with descent size whose capable of playing in 3rd line, as Montreal is not looking for top line player in retrurn, and player doesn't have to be great offensively but good defensive game is what they are looking for!!


Last edited by Habs4ever: 01-16-2004 at 07:45 AM.
Habs4ever is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 07:45 AM
  #2
AvsGuy
Registered User
 
AvsGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Regina, Sk
Posts: 6,057
vCash: 500
Keith Primeau. and i, for one, think the Habs are overpaying there.

AvsGuy is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 07:47 AM
  #3
PhoPhan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 13,297
vCash: 500
I hate Primeau, but I have to admit he's played well this year, aside from injuries.

PhoPhan is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 07:52 AM
  #4
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 40,691
vCash: 500
Perrault would easliy clear waivers, with the $ situation as tight as it is in today's NHL. So, the answer to the above question is that the Habs would probably get a lot less for a package of Perrault and a third than they would get for a deal including a fourth or fifth rounder straight up.

That isn't as much a statement on Perrault (who can still help some teams) as much as it is an observation about the economic situation in the NHL.

__________________
Man, do I ever miss Oleg Kvasha. If Oleg was here, everything would be OK.
Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 07:58 AM
  #5
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: FIRE THERRIEN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Perrault would easliy clear waivers, with the $ situation as tight as it is in today's NHL. So, the answer to the above question is that the Habs would probably get a lot less for a package of Perrault and a third than they would get for a deal including a fourth or fifth rounder straight up.

That isn't as much a statement on Perrault (who can still help some teams) as much as it is an observation about the economic situation in the NHL.

Personally I don't think he would clear waivers because a playoff team or contender would pick him up for insurance purposes in case a player goes down. The season is over have done, his salary has approx 1.3 remaining and ends this year. JMO of course.

As for his value, your right, probably a 4th or 5th, unless a team gets desperate at the deadline.

Kirk Muller is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 08:16 AM
  #6
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
In terms of draft picks, Perreault is worth a 6th round pick... maybe.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 08:19 AM
  #7
Habs4ever
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal, (Quebec)
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,535
vCash: 500
Well he's worth lot more then that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
In terms of draft picks, Perreault is worth a 6th round pick... maybe.

as team would get atleast 4th round pick back next year as a compensation if he signs with another team, now does that mean habs giveup Perrault and 4th round pick for weaker 6th round pick, considering he would help team like Calgary a lot in PLayoff winning faceoffs, Calgary GM could easily give up 4th round pick and not lose sleep over it.

Habs4ever is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 08:24 AM
  #8
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,952
vCash: 500
perreault would be awesome if you could figure out how to get him in the faceoff circle, and airlift him to the bench immediately after the draw. the habs should keep him and play him 20+ minutes per game!

neelynugs is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 08:25 AM
  #9
ehc73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
I hate Primeau, but I have to admit he's played well this year, aside from injuries.
And he would help Montreal's size problem down the middle.

ehc73 is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 08:33 AM
  #10
Artie
Registered User
 
Artie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal, Que
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Perrault would easliy clear waivers, with the $ situation as tight as it is in today's NHL. So, the answer to the above question is that the Habs would probably get a lot less for a package of Perrault and a third than they would get for a deal including a fourth or fifth rounder straight up.

That isn't as much a statement on Perrault (who can still help some teams) as much as it is an observation about the economic situation in the NHL.
You are right that given the current economic conditions, players clearing waivers has less to do with their value and contribution as a player and more to do with contract and $$$ involved. But unlike Audette, who teams ignored knowing he was out of favor with the Habs and on his way out anyways, I don't think Gainey would get rid of Perrault via waivers and contract buyout simply because he is still contributing to the team.

As for his value, at minimum it has to be whatever the compensation is for losing him as a FA (I'm not 100% sure there is compensation). At most I would say 3rd round pick. He seems to be getting slower on the draw (his one claim to fame).

Artie is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 08:44 AM
  #11
leafaholix*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ron Hainsey is King!
Country: Botswana
Posts: 22,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
as team would get atleast 4th round pick back next year as a compensation if he signs with another team, now does that mean habs giveup Perrault and 4th round pick for weaker 6th round pick, considering he would help team like Calgary a lot in PLayoff winning faceoffs, Calgary GM could easily give up 4th round pick and not lose sleep over it.
The Habs will not get compensation for Perreault... because they're not going to to tender him a qualifying contract before July 1.

leafaholix* is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 08:50 AM
  #12
Wizz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Unknown
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
it would be swap in a sence for both teams going in playoff as other team can acquire great Faceoff man to improve them in that area plus get 3rd rounder, in return Montreal needs player with descent size whose capable of playing in 3rd line, as Montreal is not looking for top line player in retrurn, and player doesn't have to be great offensively but good defensive game is what they are looking for!!

What about Dave Scatchard ? A right handed center, that's what montreal is looking for

Wizz is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 09:02 AM
  #13
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 40,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizz
What about Dave Scatchard ? A right handed center, that's what montreal is looking for

So, are you suggesting that the Habs could get Scatchard for Perrault?

That isn't very realistic.

First, the Isles don't want to trade Scatch.
Second, given his performance and salary, he probably has reasonable trade value.
Third, Perrault is a player the Isles wouldn't even be remotely interested in acquiring.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 09:29 AM
  #14
Rex88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
I hate Primeau, but I have to admit he's played well this year, aside from injuries.
There is no way that Perrault has the value of Primeau - yes he is overpaid but is great defensively, a physical presence and usually a bit better than his current year offensively. He has missed 7 games due to a broken thumb - not that many injuries.

Rex88 is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 09:58 AM
  #15
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole
 
Munchausen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Stuck in traffic
Posts: 5,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizz
What about Dave Scatchard ? A right handed center, that's what montreal is looking for
Are you sure you're a hockey wizard?

Munchausen is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 10:16 AM
  #16
Wizz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Unknown
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Are you sure you're a hockey wizard?
I'm just mentionning Scatchard because last night, during the NYI Vs Ottawa Game, there was 6 scouts from Montreal (including A. Savard) watching the game (source from RDS).

I don't think Montreal will deal with Ottawa. So if the Habs really look for a right handed center, NYI have Peca, Bates and Scatchard. Although this doesn't mean there all 3 available.

Maybe Perreault won't make part of a deal, but there's a huge interest by montreal for a NYI player.


Last edited by Wizz: 01-16-2004 at 10:21 AM.
Wizz is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 01:09 PM
  #17
boomboom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
i think it s wrong to say that Perrault is not worth more than a 6 rd pick....I mean the guy has hade many seasons of 20+goals and is one of the best on faceoffs....
Now teams like St. Louis or detroit could use him....How about
Perrault and a 3rd for Melamby....

boomboom is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 01:11 PM
  #18
nordique
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom
i think it s wrong to say that Perrault is not worth more than a 6 rd pick....I mean the guy has hade many seasons of 20+goals and is one of the best on faceoffs....
Now teams like St. Louis or detroit could use him....How about
Perrault and a 3rd for Melamby....
Why would St. Louis trade their heart and soul for Yanic Perreault who plays with neither?

 
Old
01-16-2004, 01:59 PM
  #19
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 40,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizz
I'm just mentionning Scatchard because last night, during the NYI Vs Ottawa Game, there was 6 scouts from Montreal (including A. Savard) watching the game (source from RDS).

I don't think Montreal will deal with Ottawa. So if the Habs really look for a right handed center, NYI have Peca, Bates and Scatchard. Although this doesn't mean there all 3 available.

Maybe Perreault won't make part of a deal, but there's a huge interest by montreal for a NYI player.

Bates is a winger.

Scatchard is not available.

I doubt there is a deal on tap between the two teams. The Habs do not have an TRADEABLE assets the Isles want. There could have been scouts at the game for any number of reasons.


Last edited by Darth Milbury: 01-16-2004 at 02:06 PM.
Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 02:03 PM
  #20
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 40,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom
i think it s wrong to say that Perrault is not worth more than a 6 rd pick....I mean the guy has hade many seasons of 20+goals and is one of the best on faceoffs....
Now teams like St. Louis or detroit could use him....How about
Perrault and a 3rd for Melamby....

Perrault could probably help a lot of teams. The real issue with this player is $. $ are the reason he has no trade value.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 02:19 PM
  #21
Habsaku
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Perrault could probably help a lot of teams. The real issue with this player is $. $ are the reason he has no trade value.
Cash won't be a factor at the trade deadline because most of the salary will be paid and BG would probably offer to equalize the salary pickup in a trade. I wonder who wants Perreault.

Here's what your getting: 25 to 30 goal scorer guaranteed, if you play him on your 2nd or even 3rd line. about 45 to 60 points and a 60%+ faceoffs win. He's got pure goal scorer hands but he's soft, slow and weak. He isn't the type of guy who will give your team momentum, he isn't the kinda guy who carries the puck. He'll dump more then his share of pucks and he relies heavily on his wingers. He also can't play defense. He's got a knack at scoring clutch goals though. He's got decent GW stats. He'd fit very well with a team like Atlanta since they score in bunches and he'd be great with Kovalchuck. It would balance their offense more and since Kovy does most of the work, Perreault will be right at home.

Habsaku is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 02:54 PM
  #22
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 40,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
Cash won't be a factor at the trade deadline because most of the salary will be paid and BG would probably offer to equalize the salary pickup in a trade. I wonder who wants Perreault.

Here's what your getting: 25 to 30 goal scorer guaranteed, if you play him on your 2nd or even 3rd line. about 45 to 60 points and a 60%+ faceoffs win. He's got pure goal scorer hands but he's soft, slow and weak. He isn't the type of guy who will give your team momentum, he isn't the kinda guy who carries the puck. He'll dump more then his share of pucks and he relies heavily on his wingers. He also can't play defense. He's got a knack at scoring clutch goals though. He's got decent GW stats. He'd fit very well with a team like Atlanta since they score in bunches and he'd be great with Kovalchuck. It would balance their offense more and since Kovy does most of the work, Perreault will be right at home.

$ won't be an issue at the dealine. At that point, some team could throw a 3rd or 4th rounder your way. Until then, he has little to no trade value.

Darth Milbury is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 03:00 PM
  #23
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 30,223
vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen
Are you sure you're a hockey wizard?


doesn't take a wizard to read from a very credible source(McKenzie tsn.ca July 2002) that the isles passed on Scatchard+Izzy for 25 yr old Derek Morris.
He's read in the Boston and NY press that the Bruins have tried 2-3x in the last 2 and 1/2 yrs to aquire Scatchard.So he has a pretty good idea that with Scatchard's reasonable salary and size/grit that the nyi have an idea of Scatchard's trade value if packaged and that the isles can do a heck of a lot better then Perreault for Scatchard.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 07:59 PM
  #24
fulk hogan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
The Habs will not get compensation for Perreault... because they're not going to to tender him a qualifying contract before July 1.
He's a UFA, therefore the Habs are eligible for compensation if he signs with another team. He does not need to be tendered an offer to be eligible, as he is 32 (turning 33 in April) and not a RFA.

fulk hogan is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 10:34 PM
  #25
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,754
vCash: 500
Perreault could get you Brian Holzinger. But as a Pens fan, I don't want Perreault at all.

clefty is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.