HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NYR Fans: Quick Survey, Please Read

View Poll Results: If you are a New York Rangers fan, where do you live or orginate from?
New York City (Manhatten/Bronx/Queens/Brooklyn/Staten Island) 65 23.30%
New York State (Westchester/Rockland/and points north) 39 13.98%
Long Island (Nassau/Suffolk) 64 22.94%
New Jersey (North and Central Jersey) 50 17.92%
Connecticut 6 2.15%
Other (Central/West New York State and South Jersey) 8 2.87%
Other 47 16.85%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Old
11-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
used to live in staten island, and then moved to franklin park (nj) now i live in atlanta

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Born and currently residing in the Bronx.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 04:11 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
from Fairfield County CT (Ridgefield) and im at Fairfield University...keeping to my Rangerland

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 04:57 PM
KingLundqvistXXX
Confetti & Balloons

I accidentally selected New York State before reading all the options, but I now realize I shouldve picked Western New York.

You can't expect me to be a Sabres fan now right? I liked some of their players throughout the years as a hockey fan and I watch their games since they are the local but I'm a Rangers fan.

KingLundqvistXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 05:41 PM
JayMan82

East Brunswick, NJ

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 06:05 PM
bumrusherer

England..and I am very tired right now but I'm too much of a fool to miss the game.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Though I now live in NJ, real close to the city, I still voted other because I originally come from Israel. While hockey isn't really popular there, considering there is just one rink in the entire country, I always liked hockey.

Growing up in Israel, I more liked the sports in general, first thing I knew about hockey was Wayne Gretzky, that's how big he was.

Anyways, I do have relatives in Brooklyn, and for my bar mitzvah I got to go on a trip to the USA. In one part of it I had to stay a month with my relatives in Brooklyn, as luck would have it, that was just in time for the '94 playoffs. Needless to say, I got hocked on Rangers mania, and have stuck with the team ever since, even through the dark years.

The Rangers are my number one team, and probably the only team I care about as deeply as I do.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 02:02 AM
mucker*

I don't understand

1) Why are there so many NYR fans on Long Island and New Jersey?
-I would have predicted the Rangers would have had the most in the NY State suburbs/NYC then LI/NJ.
-I am surprised that either the NY state suburbs have so few or NYC/LI/NJ have so many.
-I thought NYC was more baseball and non sports fans, as the average sports fan usually lives outside the city.
-I would have thought LI and NJ would have had less due to the Isles and Devils.
-I would have thought the NY State suburbs would have had the most, since they are in NY but outside the city, which is more demographically fitting for hockey and NYR fans.

-Is there any explanation as to why NYC/LI/NJ have so many given the demographics of NYC and the Isles, Devils?

2) I am also surprised with how FEW fans there are in CT.
-I was born in Fairfield County which is home to many NYR fans.
-I would have expected CT to lag behind NY and NJ since they have a smaller population, but to have only a few people?
-Is CT just not as big on the NHL or the Rangers as I thought, is it more BOS?
-Can someone explain?

Thanks.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 02:11 AM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewinder View Post
I don't understand

1) Why are there so many NYR fans on Long Island and New Jersey?
-I would have predicted the Rangers would have had the most in the NY State suburbs/NYC then LI/NJ.
-I am surprised that either the NY state suburbs have so few or NYC/LI/NJ have so many.
-I thought NYC was more baseball and non sports fans, as the average sports fan usually lives outside the city.
-I would have thought LI and NJ would have had less due to the Isles and Devils.
-I would have thought the NY State suburbs would have had the most, since they are in NY but outside the city, which is more demographically fitting for hockey and NYR fans.

-Is there any explanation as to why NYC/LI/NJ have so many given the demographics of NYC and the Isles, Devils?

2) I am also surprised with how FEW fans there are in CT.
-I was born in Fairfield County which is home to many NYR fans.
-I would have expected CT to lag behind NY and NJ since they have a smaller population, but to have only a few people?
-Is CT just not as big on the NHL or the Rangers as I thought, is it more BOS?
-Can someone explain?

Thanks.
Many fans have their teams passed to them by their parents.
Some of us were around before the there was a Devil in Jersey or a Fishstick on the Island and the Rangers were the only hockey game in town so where we lived did not matter.
Lastly, your poll is only pertinent to these boards. They're could be a gazillion Ranger fans in Connecticut but only a few on these boards.

DoTheBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 07:43 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Born and raised a short mile walk from the Garden.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 07:54 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

I have to say that I'm actually surprised that the NYC choice isn't dominating the options seeing as how there are more people located in the City than pretty much the rest of the state combined.

Brooklyn the Bornx and Staten Island have a huge HUGE Ranger fan population.

I'm not sure why one would think that Westchester and Rockland Counties would have more fans?

As for NYJ and LI being represented so highly, it's because the Rangers have been around for decades longer than both the Islanders and Devils.

As for the low showing for CT, it's not that long ago that CT had their own team. The Hartford Whalers have not been gone that long and those fans just didn't shift their loyalties to the Rangers when that team moved. Additionally considering that CT is a tweener state, the northern half that aren't Whalers fans are Bruins fans, the souther half that aren't Whalers and Bruins fans may be Rangers fans. I would have expected more than 6, but I'm also not surprised.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Onion Boy

Born and raised in Brooklyn. DC for college. Now living in the Land of the Rising Sun.

Thank God for Center Ice Online.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 02:06 PM
beuk23

from South Jersey...currently in Orange County, NY

beuk23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Girardi05

Send a message via AIM to Girardi05 Send a message via Yahoo to Girardi05
born and raised in Manhattan but now live in Suffolk county

Girardi05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 01:36 AM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I have to say that I'm actually surprised that the NYC choice isn't dominating the options seeing as how there are more people located in the City than pretty much the rest of the state combined.

Brooklyn the Bornx and Staten Island have a huge HUGE Ranger fan population.

I'm not sure why one would think that Westchester and Rockland Counties would have more fans?

As for NYJ and LI being represented so highly, it's because the Rangers have been around for decades longer than both the Islanders and Devils.

As for the low showing for CT, it's not that long ago that CT had their own team. The Hartford Whalers have not been gone that long and those fans just didn't shift their loyalties to the Rangers when that team moved. Additionally considering that CT is a tweener state, the northern half that aren't Whalers fans are Bruins fans, the souther half that aren't Whalers and Bruins fans may be Rangers fans. I would have expected more than 6, but I'm also not surprised.
1) If many people in NJ and LI were born or passed down loyalty to the Rangers, what happens 20 years from now?
Is it possible the base will erode over time, in these regions, as time passes and the Devils, Isles are there longer?
Or do both NJ and LI have a strong number of NYR fans not only passed down or moved from NY but also simply raised fans. In other words is it an overlap?

Old
12-01-2007, 06:21 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
Wow i voted NY State because i live in Central NY, and then i see you put Western and Central in Other, UPSTATE NY ISNT EVERYTHING ABOVE WESTCHESTER, IT STARTS AT THE THRUWAY (aka the 90)
Upstate starts at Yankee Stadium. The Boondocks start at the Bronx-Westchester line. Canada starts at the Tappan Zee Bridge.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 06:23 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewinder View Post
1) If many people in NJ and LI were born or passed down loyalty to the Rangers, what happens 20 years from now?
Is it possible the base will erode over time, in these regions, as time passes and the Devils, Isles are there longer?
Or do both NJ and LI have a strong number of NYR fans not only passed down or moved from NY but also simply raised fans. In other words is it an overlap?
My fiancee and I currently live in SI. We own a co-op now, but do not plan on staying here forever. When we make the upgrade to a house, we will be looking to go to Jersey. IF we have kids, you can bet your sweet a$$ they will not be Devils fans.

Old
12-01-2007, 09:57 AM
AustinHockeyFan

Born and largely raised on LI, presently in Austin, Texas.

A lot of fans, it's true, have had their team loyalty handed down from generations previous.

Some of us are old and crusty enough to remember the 1972 expansion which saw the creation of the NY Islanders. Up until that point, LI had been exclusively Ranger territory. The Islanders had to pay a chunky (at that time) 7-figure fee for setting up a franchise within what had been, for over 4 decades, an exclusively Ranger market.

A lot of the people who switched to the Islanders were disgruntled and sick of the drought that had been on since 1940, and were willing to hitch their affiliation to this new team with a closer arena. I think that many of them (including my former in-laws in Nassau) saw it as the Island coming into its own and forging its own identity as something other than merely a suburb of New York City. An old school Isles fan from the period could probably answer the "why" a bit better. Each of them seemed to have their own separate reasons for the switch, and I don't know that a cookie-cutter response could possibly apply to everyone.

AustinHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2007, 01:01 PM
mucker*

1) What I'm wondering, in LI and NJ do you still get people born and raised there as NYR fans, or are the NYR fans simply long time descendant or people moving from NY?

-In other words, a couple generations from now are we going to see an erosion of the NYR base, or do the Rangers still have NJ and LI as part of their territory with fans born and raised there?

Old
12-01-2007, 01:59 PM
patnyrnyg

I think you are born into it. I lived in SI until I was 10, then moved to LI and was a rangers fan when I moved and stayed with them. All of my friends who were Rangers fans also had parents who were Rangers fans. Most of those whose parents weren't into hockey were Isles fans. Keep in mind, I am 31 so my friends and I were little kids when the Isles were winning which probably had a lot to do with them becoming Isles fans. Kind of how most little kids, say 14 and under are Yankees fans compared to Mets fans.

Old
12-01-2007, 09:03 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 50
Suffolk County here

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2009, 11:39 PM
mucker*

Fairfield County originally.

Old
02-14-2009, 05:36 AM
jniklast

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 03:59 PM
McMonster

staten island

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2009, 04:13 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Boy was this thread brought back from the dead. Didn't vote the 1st time though so I'll throw in my vote for Brooklyn.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote