HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie Equipment

Old
11-14-2007, 09:11 PM
ArmchairGM

vCash: 500
Goalie Equipment

For the goalies out there:

I have been playing ice hockey goalie for at least five years. I would like the know what upper-end leg pads you would recomend. I play competitive hockey so I need pads that would be considered high-end. I use the butterfly style and I am especially curious about the Reeboks, Vaughns, the new Eagle Sentrys. I currently have GP9980, if any one has had these, I am just curious what you thought about these pads and what pads you used after them.

Thank You

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 07:46 AM
RedK

If you want a big name pad, any of those will do. I'm more a fan of personal attention and quick service. I've been using some Pete Smiths for a few years and they've been great. Light, have held up beautifully, and Pete has been consistenly wonderful to deal with. The t-1000s are a good box-style pad so they work for most butterfliers.

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 03:23 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards Escape Goat

vCash: 663
I'm on my third pair of Battram pads (http://www.battram.com) and I've loved every pair.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 04:45 PM
ISensFanI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
For the goalies out there:

I have been playing ice hockey goalie for at least five years. I would like the know what upper-end leg pads you would recomend. I play competitive hockey so I need pads that would be considered high-end. I use the butterfly style and I am especially curious about the Reeboks, Vaughns, the new Eagle Sentrys. I currently have GP9980, if any one has had these, I am just curious what you thought about these pads and what pads you used after them.

Thank You
I've got the new Eagle Sentry's and their great.

ISensFanI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 06:00 PM
MikeD

Dollar for dollar.... Smith. With the adjustable hight thigh rise, sliding toe bridge and such the pad is clean and functions perfectly for the butterfly. They will take and hold the S-shape right out of the box or stay "as is". The are not a super stiff pad like a Miklin. By the way, Pete Smith designed the Vaughn Velocity line. He now has his own shop located in Brockport NY. Much of the work on the pads is done by Pete himself.

My youngest just got a set of the SP5000 and loves them. a flat faced pad custom to his measure about 2/3 the price of a stock vaughn. Delivery is about 12 weeks. Might be shorter.

smithhockey.com

as far as protection levels, any senior pad for ice hockey will be safe. Its going to come down to design and features.

here are pics of his SP5000 done in the SP2000 graphics. Total color and external material choices are at no upcharge.

Last edited by MikeD: 11-15-2007 at 06:09 PM.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote