HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Worst rookie season compared to entire career

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-14-2007, 06:17 PM
  #1
captainpierce
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
Worst rookie season compared to entire career

What players do you think had the worst rookie seasons compared with their career as a whole?

captainpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 06:25 PM
  #2
mmmjays
 
mmmjays's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 415
vCash: 500
Thornton.

mmmjays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 06:47 PM
  #3
Hockey Outsider
Registered User
 
Hockey Outsider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,544
vCash: 500
Gordie Howe scored just 22 points as a rookie (9th on his team) and was shutout in 5 playoff games.

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 07:13 PM
  #4
sunb
Registered User
 
sunb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Yale University
Country: China
Posts: 3,232
vCash: 500
Mark Messier. After five Stanley Cups and 1992 games at the NHL level, Messier retired as the NHL's second highest scorer in history with 1887 points. But in his first season, he only collected 33 points in 75 games and was 10th on his team in scoring. This was in the easy 80s and the year in which the 19 year old Gretzky scored 51 goals and 137 points.

sunb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 08:06 PM
  #5
Passchendaele
Registered User
 
Passchendaele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Laval, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,881
vCash: 500
Phil Esposito?

5 pts in 27 games.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 09:48 PM
  #6
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Joe Thornton's 7 point rookie season was pretty grim.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 09:55 PM
  #7
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,742
vCash: 500
Thornton... Esposito... Owen Nolan wasn't exactly great either.
From the stuff I've read, Tom Johnson's rookie year was pretty dreadful as well.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2007, 10:36 PM
  #8
Hank Chinaski
Moderator
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Granola Belt
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,272
vCash: 50
Manny Malhotra? Oh wait...

Markus Naslund had just 11 points in 71 games his rookie year.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 06:51 AM
  #9
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,351
vCash: 500
Joe Thornton, because the expectations were so high. Other guys mentioned didn't have quite the expectations that Thornton had.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 07:19 AM
  #10
LennyV
 
LennyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Göteborg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbalkint View Post
Markus Naslund had just 11 points in 71 games his rookie year.
expectations were pretty darn high for Naslund in Sweden. that rookie season was quite dissappoiting...

LennyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 11:16 AM
  #11
tony d
Giant Doctor
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,683
vCash: 500
Joe Thornton

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 11:35 AM
  #12
a non*
Karma, jinxes, mana
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: YOU are a hockey god
Posts: 470
vCash: 500
I suppose Vinny Lecavalier didn't really shine. Although that Lightning squad was one dreadful team; they managed only 19 wins and allowed 113 more goals than they scored. Leading scorer? Darcy Tucker, 43 points.

Albeit Lecavalier isn't the definition of a legend quite yet...

a non* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 11:56 AM
  #13
Passchendaele
Registered User
 
Passchendaele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Laval, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,881
vCash: 500
Johnny Bucyk scored a single goal in his first 38 NHL games. He finished his career 20 years later totalizing 556 goals and 1369 pts.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 04:00 PM
  #14
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 35,773
vCash: 500
Joe Thornton, just because he failed to break double digits over almost a full season. Absolutely the worst rookie season by any number one pick, including defenseman Greg Joly!

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 05:01 PM
  #15
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Joe Thornton, just because he failed to break double digits over almost a full season. Absolutely the worst rookie season by any number one pick, including defenseman Greg Joly!
To be fair to Joe, He had the wrong type coach for his first season. He didn't really fit into the Burn's system and Burn's also decided to bring him along slowly. With another coach (like Keenan) he would have done better.

Some guys come along more slowly than others. In Howe's first 3 seasons, he totaled 35 goals. In season number 4 he matched that 3 year total. In Bobby Hull's first 2 seasons he had 31 goals. In season 3 he topped those 2 years with 39 & was the top scorer in the league.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 05:06 PM
  #16
Clint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Clint
While Thornton's point total was pretty low, wasn't he getting like 5 or 6 minutes a night on the 4th line for developmental purposes?

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 05:06 PM
  #17
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 35,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
To be fair to Joe, He had the wrong type coach for his first season. He didn't really fit into the Burn's system and Burn's also decided to bring him along slowly. With another coach (like Keenan) he would have done better.

Some guys come along more slowly than others. In Howe's first 3 seasons, he totaled 35 goals. In season number 4 he matched that 3 year total. In Bobby Hull's first 2 seasons he had 31 goals. In season 3 he topped those 2 years with 39 & was the top scorer in the league.
Yeah everything worked out fantastically for Joe and the Bruins. Well not the Bruins, but I know what you mean. I just mean he was the worst number one pick as a rookie ever and he worked out to being a perennial 100 point man.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 05:11 PM
  #18
pappyline
Registered User
 
pappyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mass/formerly Ont
Country: United States
Posts: 4,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
While Thornton's point total was pretty low, wasn't he getting like 5 or 6 minutes a night on the 4th line for developmental purposes?
that is true. Meanwhile Samsonov (another rookie) was playing a regular shift.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 05:17 PM
  #19
Hank Chinaski
Moderator
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Granola Belt
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,272
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
that is true. Meanwhile Samsonov (another rookie) was playing a regular shift.
Indeed he was, though it's worth noting that Samsonov had already played a season of pro hockey in the IHL.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 05:27 PM
  #20
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,371
vCash: 500
Steve Shutt was hardly a sniper in his first NHL season. 8 goals. Turned out to have a career high of 60. Was on a pretty stacked Habs team though so his ice time was limited. Not the worst by any means but it just shows how he developed gradually.

Lanny McDonald didnt have a rotten rookie season either but he needed three seasons before he got it together

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 06:20 PM
  #21
VanIslander
An All-Time Drafter
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbalkint View Post
Indeed he was, though it's worth noting that Samsonov had already played a season of pro hockey in the IHL.
Not only had Sammy played a full year of pro hockey as an 18 year old in the IHL but he was that adult league's rookie of the year AND defensive player of the year. I was in Windsor and went to Detroit Vipers games and Samsonov was phenomenal! No surprise at all that he went on to win the Calder in the NHL.

I remember the Bruins coach (Burns I think it was - not a Boston fan personally) explained to the media why Thornton was not playing and in the same breath praised Sammy as one of the most-ready of ANY player on the team to open the season (Sammy showed up to camp WITHOUT a contract, and proved to the organization that it would be worth signing him to more than they were willing to previously - he won that first contract in camp).

Samsonov can be a name on a list of best rookies who've gone on to have disappointing careers, though Sergei was responsible for at least four key goals in the Oilers recent Stanley Cup run, unheralded.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 05:42 AM
  #22
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 35,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Not only had Sammy played a full year of pro hockey as an 18 year old in the IHL but he was that adult league's rookie of the year AND defensive player of the year. I was in Windsor and went to Detroit Vipers games and Samsonov was phenomenal! No surprise at all that he went on to win the Calder in the NHL.

I remember the Bruins coach (Burns I think it was - not a Boston fan personally) explained to the media why Thornton was not playing and in the same breath praised Sammy as one of the most-ready of ANY player on the team to open the season (Sammy showed up to camp WITHOUT a contract, and proved to the organization that it would be worth signing him to more than they were willing to previously - he won that first contract in camp).

Samsonov can be a name on a list of best rookies who've gone on to have disappointing careers, though Sergei was responsible for at least four key goals in the Oilers recent Stanley Cup run, unheralded.
Samsonov's a pretty huge disappointment up to this point. He had a few good seasons but whatever happened to being the next Makarov/Gretzky or whatever he was supposed to be?

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:34 AM
  #23
brianscot
Registered User
 
brianscot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 1,368
vCash: 500
Former baseball manager Earl Weaver once described Minnesota Twins catcher Butch Wynegar as being " a great rookie that never got any better".

Samsonov seems to fit that label in the NHL.

As others have stated, when Thornton and Samsonov showed up in 1997, Sammie's game was much more ready for prime time, both on and off the ice.

Thornton in interviews during that time duly deserved the nickname --- "Spicoli" because like Sean Penn's character in Fast times at Ridgemont High, he was a verrrrrry young 18 complete with moppy hair and a surfer dude sense of the world.

That first season, their relative readiness was displayed by the fact that Samsonov played with Allison and Kristich, while Thornton was brought along -playing scant minutes with Ken Baumgartner as his left wing.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 11:43 AM
  #24
Hank Chinaski
Moderator
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Granola Belt
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,272
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot View Post
Thornton in interviews during that time duly deserved the nickname --- "Spicoli" because like Sean Penn's character in Fast times at Ridgemont High, he was a verrrrrry young 18 complete with moppy hair and a surfer dude sense of the world.
Hey, Spicoli wouldn't have got that pissed off at Dave Scatchard

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGfUeLvjK3g

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 11:53 AM
  #25
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Samsonov's a pretty huge disappointment up to this point. He had a few good seasons but whatever happened to being the next Makarov/Gretzky or whatever he was supposed to be?
I don't think he was ever expected to be the next Makarov/Gretzky. He wouldn't have slipped to 8th overall if he had those type of expectations. But I agree, after his strong rookie year, I really expected him to be one of the best wingers in the game. The 'new NHL' was seemingly made for his type of player, but he's significantly regressed.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.