HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Marc Staal Thread

Old
11-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Pizza

vCash: 500
The bigger the game, the better he plays. A very good sign.

His potential on offence is way over shadowed by his defensive play....and rightly so. But he's showing me things that make me think there is even more there in the way of offensive upside.

He's begining to fit the lofty expectations I had for him. His decision to move in for a better shot showed maturity and confidence. And another great game on defence as well.

He has the look of a player that could score 40/50 points....easily.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 01:01 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
Shades of Pronger...
I might get laughed at, but I'm thinking.....Larry Robinson.

Old
11-15-2007, 01:07 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Straka, Malik, Mara, Shanahan, Hollweg, Jagr, possibly Rozsival.

I think you can guarantee those 7 players wont be rangers in 5-6 years, and thats what 22-24 million?
5-6? try 1-2.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 01:10 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
He will be our #1 for the next 10 years.......sorry to overrate him but I see it in him, easily. A 20 year old with so much potential....I dont care if you dont agree with me..but he has it. Best draft pick we have picked since Lundqvist...EASILY.
Defenitly!

And he have proven it before this season, and before last season.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 01:48 AM
xander

Can someone volunteer to pull a Tonya Harding on Malik sometime soon? Once he comes back you know Staal will drop back down to the this pair and his minutes will be sliced, which is really a shame becuase I love the way Staal has played with Roszival and the extra time.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 01:50 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I might get laughed at, but I'm thinking.....Larry Robinson.
You're not the first to make that comparison.

I can't speak to it myself, as I wasn't alive during Big Bird's heyday and my only knowledge of him comes from other accounts (specifically Ken Dryden's The Game.)

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 01:56 AM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
He has gotten more and more confidence with the increased minutes... starting to carry the puck and shoot a bit more... and its looks oh so nice when he does.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 04:53 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

<-----------------------

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 05:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
He’s got all the tools to be a really good defenseman,” Rozsival said. “I think he’s got more skills than he’s showing right now, offensive skills, but I think sometimes it takes time. Sometimes it takes time to get confidence.”

A shot like that one can go a long way in building confidence. “It was a great shot,” Rozsival said. “It was a great goal, against Brodeur, one of the best goalies. You can’t get any better
.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/15/sp...tml?ref=sports

Old
11-15-2007, 05:56 AM
Sockosensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonRanger View Post
he keeps proving wrong and wrong every game, every time i say something bad about him the next game he goes out there and proves me wrong

i complain about his mean streak-well its there
i complain about him not taking the body enough-he starts doing
Haha! Keep complaining about him not scoring then, cause I'd like to see him keep proving you wrong!

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 06:09 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Staal, the Rangers' first-round pick in the 2005 draft, has improved with every game, and seems to have grown even more while playing with Michal Rozsival since Marek Malik's rib injury seven games ago.

"Rosie's so calm and cool with the puck, he almost never makes a bad pass," said Staal. "The first five or six games [this season] I wanted to be cautious and not make any mistakes and make sure I was accountable in my end. I think every game I'm learning and seeing how teams play and how we have to play to win
."
http://www.newsday.com/services/news...,6715531.story

Does Marek Malik know who Wally Pipp is?

Old
11-15-2007, 07:37 AM
eco's bones

I think he's completely put to rest the notion that he needed time this season in Hartford to adjust to professional hockey. He's been solid defensively--physical when he's had to be--very disciplined and has not been regular about going to the penalty box. In recent games he's been picking his spots very well in offensive situations and getting some good opportunities and not getting caught. He does remind a little bit of Pronger. Excellent season so far.

Our other two rookies Dubinsky and Dawes have also shown they belong. Putting Dubinsky with Jagr with Gomez and Drury on other lines gives us a more balanced attack. Not sure Brandon is going to be able to keep pace with Jagr all season long but he has been a good addition to the team. Dawes has also been a good player--has played well and been involved in the action even when not scoring. They all look like they're in the NHL for good.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 07:40 AM
Bless This Mess

cant think of a prettier first goal...gotta love his hitting also

Bless This Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 07:46 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMessier11 View Post
The kid's got it all! Great hockey sense, great hitting, and great shot...AND HE'S ONLY 20! Other than Lundqvist he will be THE GUY on this team for years to come!
dude...awesome avatar- havent seen the penguin in a long time

Staal is playing unbelievable...the question is now if Malik has lost his spot due to injury and his poor overall play before his injury

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 07:58 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
He had his best game so far tonight (outside of the penalty). He has only gotten better since the one bad period opening night.

Congrats Marc!
I thought that was a great penalty to take, if you are referring to the hit on Vishnevsky after Vish laid out Prucha.

The other penalty? I can live with that as well. If I'm not mistaken, the guy would have gotten around him and had a clear path to the net. That's a smart penalty to take especially knowing how good the PK has been.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 08:25 AM
94now

It is good to have not just friends, but brothers who could give you a valuable advise on how to adjust playing big league.
Mark is stay-at-home D. So please stop expecting him to score zillions of goals. It is not what he is expected to do. Scott Stevens went to HOF this week not for goals he scored.
I do not care how many goals will he net, nor how many people will he level. It is not what makes a good D. The ability to come up with proper judgment in most game situations is what I am looking for. The goals and hits would be a direct result of that very quality. Staal is truly extraordinary in that respect. He can be All-Star pretty soon.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Fletch

I'm sure the Hall of Fame committee didn't overlook the fact that Stevens had more than 900 career points - which puts him up there pretty high among points for defensemen. They're not numbers you'd expect from an elite offenseman, but they're better than you'd expect from many offensemen.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 09:20 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I thought that was a great penalty to take, if you are referring to the hit on Vishnevsky after Vish laid out Prucha.

The other penalty? I can live with that as well. If I'm not mistaken, the guy would have gotten around him and had a clear path to the net. That's a smart penalty to take especially knowing how good the PK has been.
The only problem I had with the penalty for laying out Vishnevsky is that it came on the heels of a Devils goal and could have given them a ton of momentum. In other circumstances, I'm ok with it.

The other one, I think he didn't know Martin had dumped the puck in because of how he turned. Martin didn't have a path to the net or anything

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
The amazing thing about that goal was the way he calmly collected the puck and skated in another ten feet, and let loose a wicked wrist shot. It wasn't a bling splapper from the point, but really almost a goal scorers goal.

I can see him putting up ~30-40 points per year.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 10:24 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
You're not the first to make that comparison.

I can't speak to it myself, as I wasn't alive during Big Bird's heyday and my only knowledge of him comes from other accounts (specifically Ken Dryden's The Game.)
Yeah, I thought I had read one or two posts comparing Staal to Robinson. The more I see of Staal's game the better that comparison fits, imo. Robinson was such an awesome talent, I feel the need to not hype things up TOO much.

I've been saying that a breakout from some of these younger guys could be coming. Maybe it's starting to happen.

Old
11-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Bacchus

Did anyone get the puck for him?

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Bretzky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Yes. I think Gomez or Shanny did. I can't remember who.

Bretzky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 10:27 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretzky-StaalFor07 View Post
Yes. I think Gomez or Shanny did. I can't remember who.
Shanny.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Shanny went to go celebrate, stopped, turned around and got the puck, then went over to the crowd.

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2007, 01:46 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Yeah, I thought I had read one or two posts comparing Staal to Robinson. The more I see of Staal's game the better that comparison fits, imo. Robinson was such an awesome talent, I feel the need to not hype things up TOO much. .
I saw Larry, and I think that would take some development for him to acheive those heights, but I'd take a Rod Langway clone any day. The Minister of Defense.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote