HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How to solve a problem like Knuble

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-29-2007, 02:30 PM
  #51
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
That's what I'm seeing too. He makes his mistakes, sure, but he's not terrible either. Just extremely out of place on a line with Briere. He'll probably never again have a pivot as good for him as Forsberg was, but Knuble should be able to make solid contributions playing with Richards 5 on 5 and parking himself in front on the power play. Cut out the crummy penalties he takes and I bet there's not even much discussion going on. We all knew he wasn't a puckhandler anyway.



I'm pretty sure Hartnell has played both sides in the past, so no big deal with him. I like those lines.
Yes, Hartnell has played both sides. I believe he can play center as well if needed.l

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 02:34 PM
  #52
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy
 
ChuckyToGally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayearth View Post
Because he's so much better than Biron this year? Plus we lose our best player, a 20+ goal scorer, our 2nd best defensive propect, and a pick?
Complete different team.

If you can't agree that with an equal team Brodeur >>>>>>>>>> Biron...

We're loosing our time to argue. The way I see it, your team is really good but Biron stays a question mark. We'll see but IMO, you will not be able to go far in the playoffs with him, at least not this year.

ChuckyToGally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 02:45 PM
  #53
EasyMac
Registered User
 
EasyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
Complete different team.

If you can't agree that with an equal team Brodeur >>>>>>>>>> Biron...

We're loosing our time to argue. The way I see it, your team is really good but Biron stays a question mark. We'll see but IMO, you will not be able to go far in the playoffs with him, at least not this year.
Yes, but the Flyers with Biron, Richards, Lupul and Coburn are >>>> then the Flyers with Brodeur and callups to replace three important parts of the team.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 02:50 PM
  #54
rayearth
Registered User
 
rayearth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,269
vCash: 500
I have a counterproposal.

To NJ: Niitty, Knuble

To Philly: Weekes, Parise, Gionta, Greene, 1st round pick

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 04:19 PM
  #55
phlocky
Registered User
 
phlocky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
I know it's overpayment but I just being realistic in what it would take to land Martin Brodeur, even if it would never happen.

My point is to see if you would give up that much young good assets to be an immediate SC contender with a guy like Brodeur in net.


Yeah, and like Luongo cost that much. Marty may be better than him but he's not THAT much better plus many would argue that if Luongo were on the Devs that he too would have won the cup given the team around him.

I think you way over value Marty.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 04:28 PM
  #56
sickamore
 
sickamore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
He'll probably never again have a pivot as good for him as Forsberg was,
Now here's a funny thing. He had 24g/30a last season in 64 games. Missed 6 early on due to a broken finger. Forsberg played 40, but was effective in quite a few less really.

2002 is when he really started notching points in Boston, his 4th season with them. I don't know what they were doing there linewise, but Thornton gets the credit. Could be, I just honestly don't know. But even though he's older he seems to be able to keep up the pace regardless of center, team, or horrible season. Maybe Gagne had something to do with it, but he's been out lately and Knuble continues to put points up.

He's an enigma.

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 04:44 PM
  #57
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamore View Post
Now here's a funny thing. He had 24g/30a last season in 64 games. Missed 6 early on due to a broken finger. Forsberg played 40, but was effective in quite a few less really.

2002 is when he really started notching points in Boston, his 4th season with them. I don't know what they were doing there linewise, but Thornton gets the credit. Could be, I just honestly don't know. But even though he's older he seems to be able to keep up the pace regardless of center, team, or horrible season. Maybe Gagne had something to do with it, but he's been out lately and Knuble continues to put points up.

He's an enigma.
Thornton plays a similar game to Forsberg from what I have seen....slowing down the play in the offensive zone and cycling the puck. Knuble fits that perfectly, he just doesnt fit in the speed game and scoring off the rush like Briere.

I think Knuble deserves full credit for what he has accomplished. He is a very good complementary part to the stars on the team, to do the dirty work, and when put in the right situation will be successful. He just doesnt fit with Briere.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 05:11 PM
  #58
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Thornton plays a similar game to Forsberg from what I have seen....slowing down the play in the offensive zone and cycling the puck. Knuble fits that perfectly, he just doesnt fit in the speed game and scoring off the rush like Briere.

I think Knuble deserves full credit for what he has accomplished. He is a very good complementary part to the stars on the team, to do the dirty work, and when put in the right situation will be successful. He just doesnt fit with Briere.
Well said.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 05:50 PM
  #59
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamore View Post
Now here's a funny thing. He had 24g/30a last season in 64 games. Missed 6 early on due to a broken finger. Forsberg played 40, but was effective in quite a few less really.

2002 is when he really started notching points in Boston, his 4th season with them. I don't know what they were doing there linewise, but Thornton gets the credit. Could be, I just honestly don't know. But even though he's older he seems to be able to keep up the pace regardless of center, team, or horrible season. Maybe Gagne had something to do with it, but he's been out lately and Knuble continues to put points up.

He's an enigma.
He's the exact opposite of an enigma. Put him with a center who slows the game down and establishes possession down low and he scores .75 ppg. Steady as a rock production. Regardless, the barely coherent strings of thought you posted have nothing to do with what you quoted. The fact that he played with Thornton four years ago is irrelevant to who his centers will be going forward.

As an aside, I agree with mike that he deserves credit for everything he's accomplished. As good as his centers have been, there's quite a bit of skill in knowing where to be and fighting off checks in front of the net. I was just pointing out that Forsberg was probably the perfect fit for him.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 06:15 PM
  #60
sickamore
 
sickamore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
He's the exact opposite of an enigma. Put him with a center who slows the game down and establishes possession down low and he scores .75 ppg. Steady as a rock production. Regardless, the barely coherent strings of thought you posted have nothing to do with what you quoted. The fact that he played with Thornton four years ago is irrelevant to who his centers will be going forward.

As an aside, I agree with mike that he deserves credit for everything he's accomplished. As good as his centers have been, there's quite a bit of skill in knowing where to be and fighting off checks in front of the net. I was just pointing out that Forsberg was probably the perfect fit for him.
I wasn't slamming anyone, if that's what you thought, just added for consideration. I think he deserves credit because Forsberg wasn't the reason for his numbers last year. Forsberg only played 40 games and wasn't very effective for most of that. See the difference between his time with Tornton and Forsberg?

He was on the Bruins for 3 years prior to putting up those kind of numbers, Thornton was there 5. Was he not on Thornton's wing before 2002? I don't know, do you? If he was then he really bennefitted from that pairing. If he wasn't then that pairing (at 30yo) sparked something in him to produce with or without a center who is highly skilled at slowing down the play and making the great pass as shown by last seasons numbers.

Are we clear or did you need to piss some more?


Last edited by sickamore: 11-29-2007 at 06:34 PM.
sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 06:44 PM
  #61
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,922
vCash: 500
kunuble is a humble guy. fact is he has aspot on the team and it is a good one. every recent great line has had a guy like him on the line. including his line in Boston. look in Detroit, the old Naslund line. i need to stop getting so worked up about this and just be happy that you guys arnt Gms haha. if you need a whipping boy Carter is the one for you!

TheKingPin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 07:43 PM
  #62
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamore View Post
I wasn't slamming anyone, if that's what you thought, just added for consideration. I think he deserves credit because Forsberg wasn't the reason for his numbers last year. Forsberg only played 40 games and wasn't very effective for most of that. See the difference between his time with Tornton and Forsberg?

He was on the Bruins for 3 years prior to putting up those kind of numbers, Thornton was there 5. Was he not on Thornton's wing before 2002? I don't know, do you? If he was then he really bennefitted from that pairing. If he wasn't then that pairing (at 30yo) sparked something in him to produce with or without a center who is highly skilled at slowing down the play and making the great pass as shown by last seasons numbers.

Are we clear or did you need to piss some more?
I'm not sure who he played with before his production jumped, but my guess is that it wasn't Thornton. Either way, he does deserve a lot of credit for his success, but it's also obvious he's at his best when he's playing with a slower line. Even when Forsberg was out last year, the Flyers weren't exactly lining up many burners. As soon as he lined up with Briere, he was completely lost. It's not his game and he was only scoring on the power play, where they setup down low and slow things down. See what I'm getting at here? He's a very good player in certain situations, and not in others. Forsberg was the epitome of that for him, however short that time was.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2007, 09:56 PM
  #63
sickamore
 
sickamore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I'm not sure who he played with before his production jumped, but my guess is that it wasn't Thornton. Either way, he does deserve a lot of credit for his success, but it's also obvious he's at his best when he's playing with a slower line. Even when Forsberg was out last year, the Flyers weren't exactly lining up many burners. As soon as he lined up with Briere, he was completely lost. It's not his game and he was only scoring on the power play, where they setup down low and slow things down. See what I'm getting at here? He's a very good player in certain situations, and not in others. Forsberg was the epitome of that for him, however short that time was.
What's the argument then? I was only pointing out that he produced without a top line center recently. That's all. I was pointing out what you just said.

Are we good?

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 08:42 AM
  #64
FlyersFan90
 
FlyersFan90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 114
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyersFan90
hes not that bad...hes silently haing some 3 pts nights going unnoticed and someone (Knuble has gotta do the dirty work!....Honestly Get off his back every player has his problems...I like the way he plays and he had 3 pts the other night and some onthers you miss him on the scoreboard but he will have an assist or two..

FlyersFan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 09:54 AM
  #65
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamore View Post
What's the argument then? I was only pointing out that he produced without a top line center recently. That's all. I was pointing out what you just said.

Are we good?
I'm saying that he'll produce, but probably not quite as well as he would with Forsberg, and it's not going to look as natural as it did then.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 10:27 AM
  #66
potvins4cups
Registered User
 
potvins4cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 904
vCash: 500
Just curious question Philly fans. knuble is on pace to score about 27 goals. he seems to have developed into a decent player. seems like some fans are down on him. whats the reasoning behind it though. i think the guy is a classic overachiever. just wondering what you guys and gals see in him that you dislike.

potvins4cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 10:30 AM
  #67
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins4cups View Post
Just curious question Philly fans. knuble is on pace to score about 27 goals. he seems to have developed into a decent player. seems like some fans are down on him. whats the reasoning behind it though. i think the guy is a classic overachiever. just wondering what you guys and gals see in him that you dislike.
I am one of his supporters, but what people are complaining about is his lack of speed, lack of puck handling ability, and some untimely penalties he has been taking. Outside of the penalties, the lack of speed and puck handling ability is nothing new. He was simply not clicking with Briere, who is a different style of player then Forsberg or Thornton, whom he has played with for 4-5 years. Briere is a right handed shot compared to the other two being left handed (Knuble himself said before the season he prefers a left handed center much more over a right handed center), and while Briere is a great passer, his passes are no where near as soft and accurate as Forsberg or Thornton, two of the better playmakers in the last decade and maybe all time. Once they moved him away from Briere and started playing him with Richards, he is much better. It is simply a matter of playing style. He works on a line the cycles the puck down low (Forsberg, Thornton) does NOT work with a line that like to rush like Briere.

Some people are exaggerating the issues with him in my opinion, some of the penalties have been admittedly frustrating though......that and the fact that Calder is no longer here, and Randy Jones has actually been one of our better dmen, so they need someone else to bash....

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 04:04 PM
  #68
sickamore
 
sickamore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I'm saying that he'll produce, but probably not quite as well as he would with Forsberg, and it's not going to look as natural as it did then.
Cheers, got it.

Although with the way Richards has been playing it could put him back into the hearts of the fans who give all credit to Forsberg without realizing how little he actually did for him last season. I'm not saying that's you, just a very general "fans".

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 04:07 PM
  #69
sickamore
 
sickamore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins4cups View Post
Just curious question Philly fans. knuble is on pace to score about 27 goals. he seems to have developed into a decent player. seems like some fans are down on him. whats the reasoning behind it though. i think the guy is a classic overachiever. just wondering what you guys and gals see in him that you dislike.
Looking at his numbers he may just be a late bloomer. His numbers were pitiful prior to 2002 when he turned 30. Don't know if that's when he was paired with Thornton or not.

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2007, 11:11 PM
  #70
mikedifr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamore View Post
Looking at his numbers he may just be a late bloomer. His numbers were pitiful prior to 2002 when he turned 30. Don't know if that's when he was paired with Thornton or not.
Its a combination of him being a late bloomer, actually getting the chance to play with talent since he was buried on a deep Red Wings team and didnt get a chance with the Rangers, and then playing with Thornton.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.