HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ek: Big Time Deal in East to go down by 2pm Friday

Old
11-16-2007, 09:56 AM
Sens Rule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterplan View Post
Come on GM's, Eklund said get something done by 2PM cause he's gotta knock off early to run some earns. Just pull the trigger....
Don't you mean urns? not earns? We all know Eklund gets these rumours by communicating with the dead.... particularly urns with remains of Punch Imlach, Tommy Ivan and Sammy Pollack.

He bought their remains on Ebay... he doesn't know that he was suckered and that the urns actually contain the remains of cigarette ashes in dollar store vases sold by a teenager from Milwaukee. Eklund is a true believer in contacting the spirits of these dead hockey men.... he just doesn't realize he is contacting the remains of Marlboro Lights.

Luckily for Eklund there are not as many hockey fans on Ebay as baseball fans. Imagine what Eklund would have had to pay for Ted Williams frozen decapitated head if he was a baseball rumour monger instead of a hockey one? Imagine the subscription to baseballbuzz.com would be $5000 a month!

Last edited by Sens Rule: 11-16-2007 at 10:03 AM.
Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Divison leaders eh? I wish it was the Devils, but it'll be the Flyers as they are leading the division and he knows dealings within that org. well.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Lexicon Devil

Okay, the 2 PM "deadline" might make some sense if you consider this quote from TSN.

Quote:
Sources say when the National Hockey League's waiver transactions are sent out at Noon et on Friday, the Anaheim Ducks will make netminder Ilya Bryzgalov available.
So by 2 PM they'd know if there were any takers on Bryzgalov. They would need there to be in order to proceed with the trade, presumably (although it's not like Bryzgalov is a big cap hit and they are lacking for space). Unless the guy coming back is a $6M cap hit?

This might also explain why a player would know about it - since i'm assuming you'd tell a player before placing him on waivers.

Not that I believe Eklund's "sources" at all, just tossing some ideas around.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:14 AM
discostu

This Bryzgalov thing is pretty puzzling. I can't see why you'd let a trade asset like that go, unless there's something else to the story.

Washington currently has first dibs on him, and, I can't see why they wouldn't take him. Even if they don't want him, they could flip him to a team that has a bigger need for goaltending.

I'm wondering if there was a personality conflict, or if Anaheim has to clear salary room for some pending returning veterans or what, and weren't getting any offers without a contract coming back, but, I can't make any sense of this deal right now.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Lexicon Devil

Yeah, Bryzgalov is pretty much the ideal backup goalie (Only $1.2 million cap hit). I find it hard to believe that he has no value. He's the type of guy that i'd like to get back if we ever do trade Gerber or Emery.

Old
11-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Human Megaphone

Honestly, I would have traded Emery for a forward and then used a low pick to take Bryz as the backup. That would have been great for us.

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:22 AM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon Devil View Post
Yeah, Bryzgalov is pretty much the ideal backup goalie (Only $1.2 million cap hit). I find it hard to believe that he has no value. He's the type of guy that i'd like to get back if we ever do trade Gerber or Emery.
Yup.

I wouldn't be crazy about trading one of our goalies right now, but, barring something ridiculous, and every other team passes on him, I think you'd take Bryzgalov, and assess your goalie situation from there. This is a guy who stepped in for 4 games when Giguere wasn't with the team during the playoffs, and played admirably, on a cup winning team. That's precisely the type of confidence you want out of your back-up goalie.

It would also be funny to have the only two cup rings on our team be from guys who've been the back-up goalie on the last two cup winning teams.

Old
11-16-2007, 10:24 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Megaphone View Post
Honestly, I would have traded Emery for a forward and then used a low pick to take Bryz as the backup. That would have been great for us.
I agree....

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
Yup.

I wouldn't be crazy about trading one of our goalies right now, but, barring something ridiculous, and every other team passes on him, I think you'd take Bryzgalov, and assess your goalie situation from there. This is a guy who stepped in for 4 games when Giguere wasn't with the team during the playoffs, and played admirably, on a cup winning team. That's precisely the type of confidence you want out of your back-up goalie.

It would also be funny to have the only two cup rings on our team be from guys who've been the back-up goalie on the last two cup winning teams.
So the question is, at their respective salaries, how much difference in value is there between Emery and Bryzgalov? If we were to get Bryzgalov in exchange for Emery (presumably via a third team), how much would that team need to sweeten the pot for us to accept the deal?

Old
11-16-2007, 10:30 AM
SilverSeven

And lets remember who had this Bryz on waivers scoop first:

EKLUND! (Well...his site at least)

You know....a LOT of what the guy says never come true....but people jump on him WAY too much. After all....many RUMOURS dont come true. All he does is report on rumours.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Suiteness

Many people will say Bryz is better than the two guys we have here.

There's no way in hell this guy has zero trade value. Pittsburgh would have dumped a 6th round pick for him or something.

Maybe he slept with Burke's wife or something?

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:36 AM
discostu

Quote:
So the question is, at their respective salaries, how much difference in value is there between Emery and Bryzgalov? If we were to get Bryzgalov in exchange for Emery (presumably via a third team), how much would that team need to sweeten the pot for us to accept the deal?
You'd need a fairly high difference in value. Reading through the main board thread, it sounds like, for whatever reason, Burke had a tough time trading Bryz, and hence, he put him on waivers. Part of the issue is that he seems to want a full fledged starter's job, which, I don't think is out there waiting for him.

This puts into perspective that perhaps there wasn't any room for a deal, if it was dependant on Bryzgalov getting a starter's job. It also highlights that despite some trade rumours sugegsting a market for starting goalies, that there isn't anything out there right now.

I'm sure over the next couple of days, we'll get a sense of what really happened here. This is definitely a head scratcher.

Old
11-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Sp00nz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
And lets remember who had this Bryz on waivers scoop first:

EKLUND! (Well...his site at least)

You know....a LOT of what the guy says never come true....but people jump on him WAY too much. After all....many RUMOURS dont come true. All he does is report on rumours.
Are you seriously defending this clown?

Sp00nz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:46 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp00nz View Post
Are you seriously defending this clown?
Yep.

People who trash him constantly just dont get what he does.

He reports rumours he hears. Just because a lot fall through does not mean he is putting BS out there. Deals fall through in the NHL all the time and we never hear about them...Eklund has changed that though.

The guy also breaks a ton of deals.

People just get upset because there are a large number of people that are stupid enough to subscribe to something that should be free....but hey...if I was him I would charge as well if people were willing to pay.

But keep dismissing anything he says....even when he is right (like today)

Old
11-16-2007, 10:52 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Yep.

He reports rumours he hears. Just because a lot fall through does not mean he is putting BS out there. Deals fall through in the NHL all the time and we never hear about them...Eklund has changed that though.

People just get upset because there are a large number of people that are stupid enough to subscribe to something that should be free....but hey...if I was him I would charge as well if people were willing to pay.

Eklund has zero credibility. Wow he reports somwthing 20 minutes before TSN.... maybe because TSN actually has journalistic integrity and checks out stories before reporting on them. Eklund has no such responsibility to journalistic integrity and reports on anything without checking if it is true.

Has Eklund ever broken a story TSN did not have 15 or 20 minutes later? And trust me TSN's sources are not Eklunds Hockey blog.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:55 AM
trentmccleary

Only a couple minutes 'til noon.

I'm really just hoping that he doesn't make it to Pittsburgh or Tampa.
The idea of facing Fleury or Holmquist in the first round is just so perfect. Don't screw that up for us, Burke!

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Only a couple minutes 'til noon.

I'm really just hoping that he doesn't make it to Pittsburgh or Tampa.
The idea of facing Fleury or Holmquist in the first round is just so perfect. Don't screw that up for us, Burke!
No way he makes it past LA.

Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Karl Eriksson

vCash: 375
Anaheim is dumping salary to pick up a big name. They traded with CBJ today in a dump move (Rome and Wilson), and by waiving Bryz they take on no salary.

Burke is bringing in a pricey guy.

Karl Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 11:00 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cup 2008 Sens Rule View Post
Eklund has zero credibility. Wow he reports somwthing 20 minutes before TSN.... maybe because TSN actually has journalistic integrity and checks out stories before reporting on them. Eklund has no such responsibility to journalistic integrity and reports on anything without checking if it is true.

Has Eklund ever broken a story TSN did not have 15 or 20 minutes later? And trust me TSN's sources are not Eklunds Hockey blog.
Huh? He reported it last night right after the Anaheim game.

Old
11-16-2007, 11:01 AM
discostu

Quote:
Yep.

People get what he does, just that I find there is little value in it.

Your post indicates how he tries to have it both ways. He reports things as rumours, so, if it doesn't go through, he says it was just a rumour. If it does go through, he'll say he broke the trade. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

When he has been in a position to actually break trades (i.e. the Sportsnet fiasco), he did horribly. He was wrong in a couple of cases (the Smyth trade, and, there was another one that I had to close down that he reported on sportsnet as a done deal). If you're in the news business, being wrong a few times on breaking stories, is enough to kill your credibility pretty quickly early on.

As for the rumours, he certainly does have a lot of information pass through him, but, he'll pass along any information he gets, even if it's just a GM or agent passing on something to generate interest. The more credible journalists (McKenzie, Dregher) take in information more selectively, and, confirm it through multiple sources, before they throw it out there as a rumour.

Regarding this whole issue, because of how frequently him, and his site is wrong, and just state that it was merely a rumour, I didn't really pay attention to the happenings until it was reported on by TSN, because the chances of them being incorrect on these issues is slim.

Old
11-16-2007, 11:03 AM
Human Megaphone

That's what seems so crazy about this. You're going to give a decent goalie to a division rival for free?

Human Megaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Slippy

What about Phoenix? They may grab him first.

Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lexicon Devil

Quote:
Anaheim is dumping salary to pick up a big name. They traded with CBJ today in a dump move (Rome and Wilson), and by waiving Bryz they take on no salary.
Except Bryzgalov is not a big salary, and Rome and Wilson aren't even NHLers.

Old
Karl Eriksson

vCash: 375
Quote:
Except Bryzgalov is not a big salary, and Rome and Wilson aren't even NHLers.
It's still $$ dumped

Karl Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 11:07 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
People get what he does, just that I find there is little value in it.

Your post indicates how he tries to have it both ways. He reports things as rumours, so, if it doesn't go through, he says it was just a rumour. If it does go through, he'll say he broke the trade. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

When he has been in a position to actually break trades (i.e. the Sportsnet fiasco), he did horribly. He was wrong in a couple of cases (the Smyth trade, and, there was another one that I had to close down that he reported on sportsnet as a done deal). If you're in the news business, being wrong a few times on breaking stories, is enough to kill your credibility pretty quickly early on.

As for the rumours, he certainly does have a lot of information pass through him, but, he'll pass along any information he gets, even if it's just a GM or agent passing on something to generate interest. The more credible journalists (McKenzie, Dregher) take in information more selectively, and, confirm it through multiple sources, before they throw it out there as a rumour.

Regarding this whole issue, because of how frequently him, and his site is wrong, and just state that it was merely a rumour, I didn't really pay attention to the happenings until it was reported on by TSN, because the chances of them being incorrect on these issues is slim.
Thats just the nature of a rumour. It isnt having your cake and eating it too.

He takes risks no other outlet does by reporting RUMOURS, and he is extremely open that many of them will not come to fruition. People look at him from a standard journalistic viewpoint and that is why they are upset and disappointed.