HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

mara

Old
11-16-2007, 09:00 AM
jreach

vCash: 500
mara

Am I one of the only people who actually likes mara? I've seen him pick up his physical play this season and beast a few people along the boards. I also think he should def be QBing one of the power play units, his shot is solid. On a side note I also have seen tyutin play with more of an edge lately.

jreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Fletch

I'm indifferent about Mara...

I'm a bit upset too - in his role, you can have a guy who makes a lot less doing that. He can do a lot more, but isn't being asked to. The good news is, the Rangers have figured out he's not needed next season and will have that money to spend elsewhere. Also, he was insurance if Staal wasn't ready to go, and still is insurance. Insurance policies are often expensive, and you don't hope to use them, but that's what makes Sather and Renny sleep best at night.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 09:05 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreach View Post
Am I one of the only people who actually likes mara? I've seen him pick up his physical play this season and beast a few people along the boards. I also think he should def be QBing one of the power play units, his shot is solid. On a side note I also have seen tyutin play with more of an edge lately.
I like Mara, too. He occasionally struggles with his body positioning, but he plays a pretty physical game and isn't afraid to join the rush. As you mentioned, his shot is solid. He's not going to QB our PP though, as Jagr is the true QB on the top unit- everything runs through him. I wouldn't mind seeing Mara out there, though Girardi and Staal are also willing to shoot the puck and might make good candidates for increased PP time.

I've seen an increased edge to Tyutin's game all season, not just recently. I love it.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 09:10 AM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
I like him, he is a solid vet. He got more time last year because we didnt have Staal and Girardi up here every night. And with Tyutin busting out, there just isnt a lot of room to get in this lineup.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 09:32 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I like Mara. Loved the trade when it was made. That said, I can't see him coming back. Too expensive now. Can't see him taking a cut in salary to stay.

And just because he has a big shot does not mean that he should or can QB the PP.

11-16-2007, 01:02 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
I think he is a good hockey layer. Not a player I think NYR must sign or needs to keep. If he remains a NYR Im fine with it,if he goes his own way, or most likley NYR lets him walk the its cool.

the guy is hit or miss, IMO. Take it or leave it.etc...

Jay88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 01:08 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post
I think he is a good hockey layer. Not a player I think NYR must sign or needs to keep. If he remains a NYR Im fine with it,if he goes his own way, or most likley NYR lets him walk the its cool.

In the beginning of the year I was ready to move him because I thought he was just a mediocre defenseman with too big a salary for this club. HOWEVER, the guy has proved me wrong. He has played above average and has just been plain SOLID for us. He doesnt take stupid penalties, plays very tough, has a big shot from the point, shows ability to join the rush, and just makes smart plays. He's playing with Strudwick right now and it just shows how BOTH of them have been playing well, because again at the beginning of the season if you ever thought those two might be paired together you'd be pissed and seen them as a weak point. But again BOTH have been great making me think its time to MOVE MALIK along with Prucha to get a defenseman and move struds back to being our 7th defenseman when the time is right. Dump the salary for a defenseman who is better with around the same salary or less

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 01:31 PM
The Thomas J.*

I like him too, loved when the trade was made, he saved tge season last year, hes been solid, will get better as the team gets better, while I like to see him stay it may be tough to resign him, lets worry about that after the season.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 01:41 PM
TomLaidlaw

Mara and Rachuneck were horrific in the Buffalo series last year. This year I think Mara is really a product of our defensive system. Which isn't a bad thing. I don't see us re-signing him next year though. In terms of having him or Aaron Ward it isn't even close, I would go back and make that trade again.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 02:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
I like him too, loved when the trade was made, he saved tge season last year, hes been solid, will get better as the team gets better, while I like to see him stay it may be tough to resign him, lets worry about that after the season.
Mara saved the season last year?!?!?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 04:22 PM
BlueHavok

I'm a mara fan, coveting him when he was in PHX and BOS---when we got him i was thrilled, however now, I'd like to see a liitle more from his especially when you take his salary into account.

BlueHavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 04:24 PM
NYROrtsFan

I think his puck moving is bad for the most part. The lack of short area quickness and agility hurts him a lot. He does have some size and the shot is certainly good though.

He's the 6th defenseman on this team when Malik is back.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 04:36 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
News to me.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
In the beginning of the year I was ready to move him because I thought he was just a mediocre defenseman with too big a salary for this club. HOWEVER, the guy has proved me wrong. He has played above average and has just been plain SOLID for us. He doesnt take stupid penalties, plays very tough, has a big shot from the point, shows ability to join the rush, and just makes smart plays. He's playing with Strudwick right now and it just shows how BOTH of them have been playing well, because again at the beginning of the season if you ever thought those two might be paired together you'd be pissed and seen them as a weak point. But again BOTH have been great making me think its time to MOVE MALIK along with Prucha to get a defenseman and move struds back to being our 7th defenseman when the time is right. Dump the salary for a defenseman who is better with around the same salary or less
Im all for malik sitting and keping the D the way it is. And yes Mara has been very solid, and have been impressed. in the begining of the season, he seemed way out of place. kind of like Damn, this guy sucks. But has proved me wrong . I liked the deal last year, then had a weird opinion in the begining of the seaosn, but it has changed.All your points are valid and I cant argue with them, at all.

Old
11-16-2007, 07:12 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
News to me.
Yes he did, do a thread search, is that the overall sentiment

Old
11-16-2007, 07:47 PM
In The Flesh

I'd like to see all our D shot more, Rozi, Mara, Toots all have nice shots, insted of passing to Jagr all the time rip a couple

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 11:53 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I was going to comment yesterday in this thread, but forgot...now I have to...

WHAT A PASS!!!

Mara has really impressed me, this year. I've become a big Mara fan!

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2007, 11:59 PM
Jay88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay88 View Post

Im quoting myself here.

I must say I watched Mara alot tonight and b4 he set up this play I noticed that he plays a pretty hard nosed ame, makes smart decisions with the puck etc..

But i will still say if he gets resigned awesome if not i wont loose any sleep. But i am very happy with the mans play.An upgrade over Ward i must say.

Old
11-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Quote:
I could've sworn the trade for Avery had more to do with that than Mara's trade.

Vodka Drunkenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 04:40 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootin'Tyutin View Post
I could've sworn the trade for Avery had more to do with that than Mara's trade.
both

Old
11-18-2007, 05:01 AM
Edge

Mara's problem is consisteny.

He's a big guy who can play physical and drop the gloves, he's capable of putting up points and he's capable of making smart decisions.

The problem is that he doesn't do any of them often enough of in combination. If he's scoring, he isn't playing smart defense. If he's playing defense, he isn't scoring. His physical game is hit or miss.

If the guy ever put it all together by coming his 15 goal- 45-50 point ability, with his Rangers defense and his Boston physical play, you'd have a great player.

But I don't think Mara will put it all together like that and his salary and the Rangers depth is going to make it hard to give him that shot here.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 05:04 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Mara's problem is consisteny.

He's a big guy who can play physical and drop the gloves, he's capable of putting up points and he's capable of making smart decisions.

The problem is that he doesn't do any of them often enough of in combination. If he's scoring, he isn't playing smart defense. If he's playing defense, he isn't scoring. His physical game is hit or miss.

If the guy ever put it all together by coming his 15 goal- 45-50 point ability, with his Rangers defense and his Boston physical play, you'd have a great player.

But I don't think Mara will put it all together like that and his salary and the Rangers depth is going to make it hard to give him that shot here.
i wont be surprised to see mara and prucha dealt for some more grit, maybe a matt cooke or ryan kesler type.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 06:35 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

It's easy to love our players when we're playing this well.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2007, 06:40 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
i wont be surprised to see mara and prucha dealt for some more grit, maybe a matt cooke or ryan kesler type.
Thats very possible, No one is gonna trade for Malik.
we would most likely trade for another defensemen anyway.