HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Would either of these systems work in the NHL?

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2004, 07:41 AM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
Would either of these systems work in the NHL?

Would the Flying "V" made popular in the Mighty Ducks movies have any success in the NHL?
Would Hardy Nilsson's "Torpedo" System work employed in the last Olympic games work in the NHL?

Why or why not for either.

Old
01-16-2004, 07:47 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan
Would the Flying "V" made popular in the Mighty Ducks movies have any success in the NHL?
Would Hardy Nilsson's "Torpedo" System work employed in the last Olympic games work in the NHL?

No to the torpedo, because Sweden didn't win the gold, plain and simple.

and who cares about the "Flying V"

Old
01-16-2004, 07:49 AM
Douggy

The Flying V obviously woudn't... All you need is ONE guy infront of the puck carrier and the whole thing is messed up for them.

Old
01-16-2004, 07:51 AM
[ GSGS ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan

IMO if those systems could work in the NHL we would already seen them. The V is quite a joke, it only works in movies .

Old
01-16-2004, 07:56 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Don't you remember in Mighty Ducks 2 it was quite easily defeated by Team Iceland? Poor Goldberg left all alone...

Old
01-16-2004, 08:03 AM
PhoPhan

The Flying V was more of a joke, but I'd like to see a team try it once or twice, just for kicks.

As for the Torpedo System, sure Sweden didn't win gold, but I think they played a hell of a lot better than they would have using a typical 3-2 set up.
Also keep in mind this was a brand new system for these players to learn in a short amount of time, players that don't usually play with each other.

The system would be a total overhaul of anything most players have seen, which is good and bad. You still have on defenseman, but the other 5 guys have two new positions. There are a lot of guys that would be better in this system, and a lot of guys that would be worse. It stresses crisp passing and transitional defense.

Old
01-16-2004, 08:10 AM
incawg

I'm still waiting for Lemaire to put a Sumo wrestler in net.

Old
01-16-2004, 08:27 AM
ceber

Doesn't the offsides pass rule hurt the chances of seeing the Torpedo used in the NHL? Get rid of that and maybe we'd see it? ('Course, last I read some of those European leagues were pretty disappointed with the results from removing the red line.)

Old
01-16-2004, 08:36 AM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Doesn't the offsides pass rule hurt the chances of seeing the Torpedo used in the NHL? Get rid of that and maybe we'd see it? ('Course, last I read some of those European leagues were pretty disappointed with the results from removing the red line.)
That could be it, but it could be modified slightly to fit the NHL game until the lines are widened like the AHL.

Old
01-16-2004, 08:58 AM
Kronblom

Mats Waltin and Hardy Nilsson introduced the torpedo system in Djurgården, Sweden after the red line offside was taken away, though it only seems to work well when you have very skilled players playing libero. Though much of Djurgården's success a few years back must be credited to Torontos goalie Mikael Tellqvist as well. He saved their bacon on several occasions.

Mats Waltin took over a top team (Rögle) in the 2nd league for this season, they went out and aquired several guys form the SEL and were thought to be a top contender this season. That didn´t happen, their performance so far with the torpedo system has been dissapointing to say the least.

Old
01-16-2004, 09:12 AM
ceber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronblom
Mats Waltin took over a top team (Rögle) in the 2nd league for this season, they went out and aquired several guys form the SEL and were thought to be a top contender this season. That didn´t happen, their performance so far with the torpedo system has been dissapointing to say the least.
Are they giving up too many goals, or not generating as much offense as expected?

Old
01-16-2004, 10:28 AM
shveik

AFAIK torpedo stresses forecheck, and with the smaller NHL rinks and the love for the dump and chase, this system *could* be successful in the NHL IMO. The Red Wings were thinking of using it (Barry Smith brought the know-how from Sweden) but it did not happen. Who knows, maybe because Lewis was chosen as the head coach and he did not want his assistant to be calling the shots I am still waiting to see the torpedo in the NHL, the trap is getting old.

Old
01-16-2004, 10:39 AM
Habsfunk

I was hoping the Mighty Ducks would use the Flying V in the finals last year. I was also highly dissapointed that Paul Kariya never tried the triple-deke.

Old
01-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Dr Love

The Flying V was picked apart by Team Iceland.

Old
01-16-2004, 01:08 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfunk
I was hoping the Mighty Ducks would use the Flying V in the finals last year. I was also highly dissapointed that Paul Kariya never tried the triple-deke.
Or that Carney never tried the knucklepuck.

Old
01-17-2004, 12:44 AM
Kronblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceber
Are they giving up too many goals, or not generating as much offense as expected?
I´d say both. They scored a lot more goals last season and their defense has been anything but solid, according to their fans.

They have good goaltending but their numbers this season is not what you would expect from these two, I guess they have to face a lot of breakaways and odd man rushes.

Closed Thread